SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

NinjaFletch

If that guy from the RCPCH didn't come out and correct that statement parents up and down the land would be currently panicking over false information.

If that's not scaremongering I don't know what is, I'm sure you won't be the last to come up with such mental gymnastics to defend that though.
'That guy from the RCPCH' whose statement was blasted all over Twitter, and hosted on the very same platforms as the original story was. Should there have been greater fact checking of the original story? Sure. But, the idea you think it's proof that there's some conspiracy to only report negatively in order to 'scaremonger' is so, utterly, frankly, laughable that I don't really think you believe it in your heart of hearts. Why on earth would the media give him a platform if they were only interested in exaggerating bad news?

Shockingly, it is perhaps the case that a lot of bad news is being reported because it's a pretty fecking bad time. The BBC playing 24/7 Hello Kitty montages instead of reporting on the news, or whatever it is you'd rather they did, isn't going to change that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Every adult attending should have been fined as has been suggested. I believe the wedding planner has the biggest fine, you the couple getting married would be as well. If the parents paid for it, they should be getting a whacking big fine. They know it is illegal. To fine so few it ridiculous, if you were a guest you knew you were breaking the law. The fact they covered the windows confirms they knew.
Exactly right.
If anything is to be salvaged from this rediculous behaviour, it has to be those responsible being made an example of.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Exactly right.
If anything is to be salvaged from this rediculous behaviour, it has to be those responsible being made an example of.
The fact the school have come out and said they just hired it out to an outside agency and didn't know what it was going to be used for. It is up to them to make sure they know.

djembatheking

My Mum who I live with now during this is having her first vaccine tomorrow she's 82 and in decent health.

I've hardly left the house since March I couldn't bear passing it on by taking any risk.

I am so relieved am nearly in tears. I know we have more time to go yet but at least this is something.
Nice one, I`m taking my father in law tomorrow too , he is 81 and got Alzheimers , will be a huge relief , even more when my mother in law gets done who is 77 but not had a date yet.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They blocked the windows too so that no one could see inside, which means they knew it was wrong.

400 people for a wedding though that’s bonkers
It is, there a lots of couple who have had to cancel their weddings as they and the venues know it is the right thing to do. This lot are just selfish.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If that guy from the RCPCH didn't come out and correct that statement parents up and down the land would be currently panicking over false information.

If that's not scaremongering I don't know what is, I'm sure you won't be the last to come up with such mental gymnastics to defend that though.
You might have a point in that one example but I say to you that by saying everything is scaremongering you are doing more harm than good.’people need to realise the severity of what’s going on.

Tibs

UK variant seems to be more lethal.

Original virus: Take 1000 average 60 year olds, it would be expected to kill 10 of them.

UK variant: Same 1000 average 60 year olds, this will be expected to kill 13-14 people. That's a significant increase :/

SA/Brazil variants a big concern

Last edited:

Wilt

They blocked the windows too so that no one could see inside, which means they knew it was wrong.

400 people for a wedding though that’s bonkers
How the feck do you find 400 idiots willing to break lockdown to attend a wedding ?

Tibs

If the other two variants are such a concern, surely the quarantine should be much more enforced rather than the form they have to fill in, and then hoping they do.

The Govt can book out hotels around airports/other ports, and ensure it's being done properly with police or even army around? The risk is too great

Or, just say you can't come to the UK for 3 months. End of

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How the feck do you find 400 idiots willing to break lockdown to attend a wedding ?
If you are a member of an affluent and like minded community, it shouldn't be difficult.

Reactions: Grinner

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If you are a member of an affluent and like minded community, it shouldn't be difficult.
Especially when the police now say that it was not 400, but 150. Not too far out.....
Now. Who was daft enough to assume that the police could actually count.

RedRover

'That guy from the RCPCH' whose statement was blasted all over Twitter, and hosted on the very same platforms as the original story was. Should there have been greater fact checking of the original story? Sure. But, the idea you think it's proof that there's some conspiracy to only report negatively in order to 'scaremonger' is so, utterly, frankly, laughable that I don't really think you believe it in your heart of hearts. Why on earth would the media give him a platform if they were only interested in exaggerating bad news?

Shockingly, it is perhaps the case that a lot of bad news is being reported because it's a pretty fecking bad time. The BBC playing 24/7 Hello Kitty montages instead of reporting on the news, or whatever it is you'd rather they did, isn't going to change that.
It doesn't have to be an organised conspiracy to be damaging. It seems to me that increasingly, even previously reputable news sources are now so keen to get "news" out there via social media, or online for rapid consumption they're playing fast and loose with facts. And frankly, scary stuff garners more clicks. Seems perhaps its no longer about quality reporting, but simply being first, or getting the most traction.

I'd suggest that the BBC (who a lot of people will implicitly trust), then before you go on to national radio before millions and tell people that their kids are more likely to be hospitalised with coronavirus than they were during the last wave, you'd better be certain that is accurate. You might consider whether the opinion of one nurse, in one hospital is enough to rely on.

I can't see how this example is in any way defensible. It's dreadful journalism.

You are absolutely correct that the BBC should be reporting bad news but they should do so accurately. Inaccurate reporting just erodes confidence in the media. Some will take the view that if they're wrong on this,. what else are they wrong on?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Extremely worrying news about the new variants. It really is not getting better anytime soon is it?

NinjaFletch

It doesn't have to be an organised conspiracy to be damaging. It seems to me that increasingly, even previously reputable news sources are now so keen to get "news" out there via social media, or online for rapid consumption they're playing fast and loose with facts. And frankly, scary stuff garners more clicks. Seems perhaps its no longer about quality reporting, but simply being first, or getting the most traction.

I'd suggest that the BBC (who a lot of people will implicitly trust), then before you go on to national radio before millions and tell people that their kids are more likely to be hospitalised with coronavirus than they were during the last wave, you'd better be certain that is accurate. You might consider whether the opinion of one nurse, in one hospital is enough to rely on.

I can't see how this example is in any way defensible. It's dreadful journalism.

You are absolutely correct that the BBC should be reporting bad news but they should do so accurately. Inaccurate reporting just erodes confidence in the media. Some will take the view that if they're wrong on this,. what else are they wrong on?
No ones disputing that, or the general point about a decline in quality of reporting. The BBC should be held to higher journalistic standards than reporting the opinions of idiots as news.

But I do dispute that it cuts one one way, or that the BBC is uniquely interested in portraying this to be a cataclysmically bad event (beyond the general parameters of this being a cataclysmically bad event). For every dickhead like our mate Laura above, a dickhead who was widely criticised across BBC platforms, there's a penis talking about how lockdowns don't work and we should open things back up, an airline boss talking about how quarantines are pointless, a war criminal ex-PM talking about how we should ignore the vaccine guidance and so on. Maybe if we hadn't had so many of the 'it's just the flu' types given platforms across the media 12 months ago we would be in a better position.

By almost every metric we've been one of the worst hit countries in the world, and I'm not sure that's the tenor or tone that comes across in any of the reporting from any of the media in this country. Far from scaremongering, I think the media are pretty quick to paint as rosy a picture as they can. It's just that picture is still shit because the situation is so shit.

Fluctuation0161

Analysis of 8% of deaths.
Ahh yes. Thanks. Just seen on channel 4 news too.

Would be strange if the mutation got more deadly. Because normally transmission is more effective if a virus is less deadly. But maybe the transmission in younger people is high and it is more dangerous in elderly people. All conjecture of course.

DavidDeSchmikes

'there is light at the end of the tunnel' has been said so many times it has lost all meaning
'we're all in this together'
'play your part'
"jUst a bIt lOnGeR'

Ludens the Red

Boris announcing that the new variant of the virus may not just be more contagious, it may also be leading to a higher mortality rate.
Did seem that way with the figures and even personal experience. Before New Year’s Day I didn’t know anyone (outside work) who’d had the virus. 22 days into January I know about a dozen. To quote heavy d, “we’re fecked”.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Imagine believing the "...not long now" brigade, only to find yourself faced with fergietime.

DavidDeSchmikes

So I'm assuming any form of restrictions will be Easter time?
No way is there going to be any relaxation mid February

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Orthodox jews are apparently behind most of the big outbreaks in Israel. Completely refusing to comply with social distancing measures. Which is extremely frustrating for the rest of them.
Just to clarify the terminology, I believe in Israel it has been the ultra-orthodox rather than the orthodox whose response to the pandemic has been problematic. There is actually a significant distinction between them, although I’m not sure how it manifests in the UK.