SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Wolverine

The question is do teachers deserve it sooner than those in the priority groups?
I think they do. Especially ones working in nursery or with younger children which makes social distancing difficult in the workplace.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hopefully things are looking up now. I'd love to be able to go back to some form of normality.

I despise the Tories but they have been excellent with the vaccination rollout imo.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
They’re on the news now saying they need more guards to patrol the parks after yesterday. Makes me think Phoenix park was jammers
Patrol the fecking parks! Jesus where is this going to end.

It is the ludicrous 5km rule that is driving people to the parks in the first place.
I am going to my local park 100 times a week as is everyone else and honestly its getting congested on the pathways.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Patrol the fecking parks! Jesus where is this going to end.

It is the ludicrous 5km rule that is driving people to the parks in the first place.
I am going to my local park 100 times a week as is everyone else and honestly its getting congested on the pathways.
Yeah if we try to walk through our local “park”, it’s busy and not a mask in sight

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Such an empty threat. Well 'ard.
Not sure if you've read his entire thread or just that tweet but I don't think he's trying to be 'well hard'. He's just saying if it goes beyond that point he'll be ruined anyway so that's when he'll have reached such a point of desperation.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Stupid setting out this road map, saying it is based on data, when basically no one has a clue what is going to happen, how effective the vaccines are going to be, what elements the new variants are going to play. Even the most knowledgeable experts don't seem to have the vaguest idea of what's going to happen when people start mingling again.

I get everyone wants certainty, but offering false certainty is just nonsense. I also get that the country is borrowing money at an unsustainable rate and that needs to end soon. But there is every chance that as soon as we open a new variant will spread and we will be back to square one.

Government needs to be honest, with people about that. Boris said he was going to be data lead this certainly isn't data lead its "hope" lead

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Well I keep hearing this “under 100” magic number on the news, we’re at what, just under 700 a day at the mo?

anyway I’m just pissed off. I’m sick of the area I live in being the highest in the entire country. They’re all dumbfcuks round here. Even Paul Donnelly (SF) had to tell people to stop congregating around the village
Well they couldn't even get it down under 300 in November so I'm not sure how they can expect to get it under 100. It's ridiculous. Hospital admissions are surely what matters and they are way down again by now.

Hopefully as vaccinations ramp up and cases stay low the government will get a bit of cop on and open the fecking country up but I remain pessimistic.

RonaldoVII

I think they do. Especially ones working in nursery or with younger children which makes social distancing difficult in the workplace.
A lot of industries make it difficult to socially distance though.

I'm not disagreeing, just playing devil's advocate. It would've made sense to vaccinate teachers before sending kids back to school but I've not heard the argument against it other than teachers not being at significantly higher risk.

RonaldoVII

Stupid setting out this road map, saying it is based on data, when basically no one has a clue what is going to happen, how effective the vaccines are going to be, what elements the new variants are going to play. Even the most knowledgeable experts don't seem to have the vaguest idea of what's going to happen when people start mingling again.

I get everyone wants certainty, but offering false certainty is just nonsense. I also get that the country is borrowing money at an unsustainable rate and that needs to end soon. But there is every chance that as soon as we open a new variant will spread and we will be back to square one.

Government needs to be honest, with people about that. Boris said he was going to be data lead this certainly isn't data lead its "hope" lead
Won't be square one though will it. Is there any variant which isn't covered by the current vaccines?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
They’re on the news now saying they need more guards to patrol the parks after yesterday. Makes me think Phoenix park was jammers
Phoenix Park, I haven't thought of that place for years! My dad and uncle used to take me there whenever we visited my Grandparents and other relatives. That's just taken me right back.

starman

Its based on data modeling, and roadmaps are never plans set in stone. Its stupid not to have any sort of framework people can atleast work around. Do you just want them to come out and say "we are playing it by ear"? That's practically what they did at the start...and that was a catastrophe

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I eagerly look forward to all of the Caf posters who, over the years, have mentioned Diane Abbot getting her numbers wrong as reasons not to vote Labour applying the same logic to this clip.
I really wish people would realise that bringing up Diane Abbot every single time someone speaks like an idiot, detracts from the fact that someone has just spoke like an idiot.

McGrathsipan

Yeah, from what I remember. Last I was over there they'd demolished almost the whole area where my Grandparents lived. I really need to do a visit, not been since I lost my dad, good few years now, sadly I live further than 5k :)
Where was your grandparents area?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Its based on data modeling, and roadmaps are never plans set in stone. Its stupid not to have any sort of framework people can atleast work around. Do you just want them to come out and say "we are playing it by ear"? That's practically what they did at the start...and that was a catastrophe
yes, that is what I want them to say, cos that's exactly what they are doing, setting any kind of road map when absalutly no one has a clue whats going to happen is pointless. It just sets people expectations based on data modelling that no one knows if its even vaguely accurate. Its just nonsense.

Last year they acted like they knew what they were doing, when they clearly didn't and there doing exactly the same again! Its far better to say "we don't know" then act as you do know!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
That's his style, he ruffs it up on purpose before interviews to play up to his clown image.
I’ve actually seen a video of him where he is secretly being filmed and doing just that. Ruffing his hair up before an interview:)

McGrathsipan

The old Cabra area. They lived on a row of terraces. last time I went I was working over there and took a drive. It had all changed. My only remaining relatives (other than the million cousins I don't know) over there are in Howth.
Mine are from the Old Western Villas at Dalymount park - not a million miles away.

Howth is nice on a sunny day - but hey we'll never get to see it again!!! :houllier:

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Won't be square one though will it. Is there any variant that isn't covered by the current vaccines?
That is no one knows, how effective any of the vaccines are against the South African variant, or the brazil variant. There is also still some questions about the Kent variant. The uncertainty seems to be even higher when it comes to how the Oxford Vaccine will protect against the variants, which is the vaccine the UK has ordered the most doses of so the 1 likely to be received by most people. Plus these are just the current variants.

No one has any idea what gonna happen when we start opening up. Anyone saying otherwise is just lying.

starman

yes, that is what I want them to say, cos that's exactly what they are doing, setting any kind of road map when absalutly no one has a clue whats going to happen is pointless. It just sets people expectations based on data modelling that no one knows if its even vaguely accurate. Its just nonsense.

Last year they acted like they knew what they were doing, when they clearly didn't and there doing exactly the same again! Its far better to say "we don't know" then act as you do know!
Well thats what the vaccine roll out has been based on, there is also data from Israel to work from.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Well thats what the vaccine roll out has been based on, there is also data from Israel to work from.
The vaccine rollout is based on whose vulnerable. Isreal is mainly using Pfizer, a lot of people in the UK are going to get the oxford one. the isreal data has really shown any meaningful data against the South African or Brazilian variants yet. So there are so many variables. Saying anything is data lead at this stage is just nonsense.

The number of things we don't know massively out weighs the things we do know.

This plan or "road map" is just the government saying we need to say something so here's what we hope might happen. We live in a world where people are afraid to say "We don't know" and it just leads to more F'up's!

starman

The vaccine rollout is based on whose vulnerable. Isreal is mainly using Pfizer, a lot of people in the UK are going to get the oxford one. the isreal data has really shown any meaningful data against the South African or Brazilian variants yet. So there are so many variables. Saying anything is data lead at this stage is just nonsense.

The number of things we don't know massively out weighs the things we do know.

This plan or "road map" is just the government saying we need to say something so here's what we hope might happen. We live in a world where people are afraid to say "We don't know" and it just leads to more F'up's!
We are likely going to need modified booster shots every year for many years to come, so its a bit futile being obsessed with variants.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
We are likely going to need modified booster shots every year for many years to come, so its a bit futile being obsessed with variants.
well it's not cos we currently don't know if we have a vaccine that works against the variants, we don't know how long it would take to get one, we don't know if we could create a vaccine that would instance cover both variants. We don't know if by next winter more variants will be around.

So we open up one of the variants spreads, and we saw how quickly the kent one spread, it turns out one of the vaccines or all of them aren't effective against it. then we have to lockdown again.

It just pointless saying we know what going to happen cos we don't! so acting like we do is ridiculously stupid !

starman

well it's not cos we currently don't know if we have a vaccine that works against the variants, we don't know how long it would take to get one, so we open up, the brazil or south African, we don't know if we could create a vaccine that would instance cover both variants. We don't know if by next winter more variants will be around.

So we open up one of the variants spreads, and we saw how quickly the kent one spread, it turns out one of the vaccines or all of them aren't effective against it. then we have to lockdown again.

It just pointless saying we know what going to happen cos we don't!
The Imperial College vaccine are already working on different variants and boosters, they stopped trials on the original dominate variant when others started appearing, and their self amplifying RNA technology allows them to switch tact very quickly, you should read it white paper, its the most interesting one so far as it can be stored in a normal fridge while other RNA ones cant

Dante

Average bang
Why is nobody talking about the news of all social contact restrictions being removed by 21 June? Have I missed the thread somewhere else?

Last edited:

Wolverine

The only statistics that’ll start to matter is hospitalisations. And percentage of cases that need it. In addition how many are new variants. That will be an indictor of us going back to some version if normality.

I think the roadmap is decently thought out and workable if we think of one-dose vaccine efficacy and transmission prevention as per the Scottish data today for Pfizer and AZ vaccines. Whether they’ll be brave enough to put brakes on things should the new variants escape the current antibody protections in the elderly and vulnerable will be interesting.

Sequentially seems logical and also 5 week intervals between phases is good to assess data and delay things if needed or plan ahead before lifting futher restrictions or to stipulate caveats.

there’s a quietly optimistic but decent (slightly jargon-y) article here by the way on what to expect with regards to vaccinations and their fight against the new variants
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n05/rupert-beale/eeek

Dante

Average bang
This reminds me of the post-match threads. When there's bad news, you get hundreds of posts. When it's good, hardly anything.

starman

Why is nobody talking about the news of all social contacts being removed by 21 June? Have I missed the thread somewhere else?
Although the headline is a bit preemptive, as several conditions need to be met to even get there, people should still be required to wear masks in enclosed indoor public spaces, imo

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Although the headline is a bit preemptive, as several conditions need to be met to even get there, people should still be required to wear masks in enclosed indoor public spaces, imo
Absolutely.

The real challenge (& its my industry) is how to accomplish this in restaurants, bars, pubs, clubs, etc. There will always be some spread through these indoor venues like these, there’s just no way around that. Will it become accepted that a certain number of covid cases at any time is acceptable to everyone & there’s just a risk that will be understood to occur at places like these? The food & beverage industry risks losing as much as an industry possibly could with continued lockdowns (& has suffered massively), but to have a semblance of an industry circa 2019, risks have to be assumed. Just where will an accepted rolling number of cases / deaths end up being is the question.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
This reminds me of the post-match threads. When there's bad news, you get hundreds of posts. When it's good, hardly anything.
Indeed. It's great news but we've been gaslit the entire pandemic and there's more than a bit of "I'll believe it when I see it" to all this from me. Things can still go tits up.

However, I'm very optimistic about the summer at least. Looking forward to seeing my family again.

It's annoying watching this press conference. Journalists basically calling Johnson a pussy because he's not going gung ho and opening everything back up tomorrow. But when they could have legitimately got tore into him for his handling of the pandemic, they were the pussies, offering tuts and gentle shakes of the head instead of the wrath of journalistic independence and integrity.

AgentSmith

It’s an approach that’s never going to get us back to the top like we were under Churchill, Boris relying on scientific moments of brilliance to make up for a lack of strategy with any patterns of competence.

(Just a poor attempt to continue your funny observation, this feels like the most significantly positive day since the pandemic began)

saivet

Is it fair to say that the UK government has done a good job of the vaccine roll out?

The only issue with the proposed easing I have is the big bang approach to sending kids back to school. Pretty good news today all in all, fingers crossed things go as planned.