SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Wow!
do you think he will get voted out in the next one after this?
Imagine trump but worse with less transparency and nearly the entire mainstream media peddling propaganda like fox news and having a horde of blind supporters like qanon but they're like 1/3rd of the population. Every problem is blamed on minorities, leftists, liberals, communists and even the capitalist west. Infact, his supporters use 'liberal' and 'secular' as cuss words.

He can lie with a straight face, he claimed on national tv that he was one of the first persons to take a photograph with a digital camera in 1987 and sent it across the country instantly via email. This was before the digital camera was even on the shelves and many years before email/internet were available in India. Despite his lie being evident he hasn't back tracked on it because he knows his supporters don't care. It's a cult.

Basically he could shoot people on live tv and still not lose support from his followers.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Is the situation in India something that's confined to that nation, or is it a sign of things to come for the rest of the world?

Suv666

Is the situation in India something that's confined to that nation, or is it a sign of things to come for the rest of the world?
Our government committed a series of blunders, claimed Covid was over and refused to prepare for the inevitable second wave to reach this point. This didn't happen overnight.

Depends on the relationship between the various variants floating around and the vaccines. We are supposed to start vaccinations for everyone over 18 from 1st May. In a couple of months we'll find out I guess.

zing

Zingle balls
Good qn and I suspect it’ll happen all over. Eventually social restrictions become untenable and there aren’t enough vaccines to go around.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's perhaps a sign that some of the surprising good news stories of last year couldn't last. We all had lots of theories about past exposure to other diseases or weather conditions or cultural differences and some of them just haven't worked out.

The world needs the vaccines and I think we'll see them arriving everywhere before the end of the year. Too late for a lot of people, but still the only route out that will work for most of the world.

Dante

Average bang
Our government committed a series of blunders, claimed Covid was over and refused to prepare for the inevitable second wave to reach this point. This didn't happen overnight.

Depends on the relationship between the various variants floating around and the vaccines. We are supposed to start vaccinations for everyone over 18 from 1st May. In a couple of months we'll find out I guess.
Good qn and I suspect it’ll happen all over. Eventually social restrictions become untenable and there aren’t enough vaccines to go around.
It's perhaps a sign that some of the surprising good news stories of last year couldn't last. We all had lots of theories about past exposure to other diseases or weather conditions or cultural differences and some of them just haven't worked out.

The world needs the vaccines and I think we'll see them arriving everywhere before the end of the year. Too late for a lot of people, but still the only route out that will work for most of the world.
Thanks, all.

So by the sounds of it, India is indeed experiencing something slightly different from the rest of the world. But government mismanagement is transforming an otherwise solvable problem into an outright crisis.

Hopefully other nations will have learned something from this. But I'm worried that the rest developing world could fall victim to the same thing through no fault of their own.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Well thats BS to be honest and a quite over dramatic.

For a start there isnt 1.3 billion people in every country in the world. Indian cities are packed with people living on the poverty line.
I would suggest that unfortunately the poorer countries might suffer much more than more developed/western countries.

zing

Zingle balls
Well thats BS to be honest and a quite over dramatic.

For a start there isnt 1.3 billion people in every country in the world. Indian cities are packed with people living on the poverty line.
I would suggest that unfortunately the poorer countries might suffer much more than more developed/western countries.
Your reaction is over dramatic. I’m talking about the developing world - I didn’t clarify that but assumed the comment about vaccines conveyed what I meant.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Your reaction is over dramatic. I’m talking about the developing world - I didn’t clarify that but assumed the comment about vaccines conveyed what I meant.
Assumption left your post looking like it did.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Exponential growth is a hard thing to get your head around. It means when things go wrong they go wrong fast. That’s why the exit from lockdown needs to be slow and careful. Only takes a few superspreader events to put the whole country deeply in the shit.
I have a worry that Italy will suffer this. They are gambling heavily to try to save their summer. I understand why but it seems risky.

I have a worry that Italy will suffer this. They are gambling heavily to try to save their summer. I understand why but it seems risky.
A lot of Italians think this but i don't know. By summer most people will be vaccinated, and the way it's going with the most capable vaccine. AZ stocks are almost empty. We are flooded with Pfizer and switching new vaccinations to that. Reservation for under 50s start in just over 2 weeks. Everything is looking good on that front.

It's Day 1 of yellow zone and the streets are already full so no doubt cases will rise. I'm not sure hospitalisations and deaths will follow this time.

Are you planning to return?

Wolverine

The brass neck of these cnuts. To make a grab for the headlines again at the precise moment that events in India are proving how spectacularly wrong-headed their previous correspondence was.
Hate all of them. Embodiment of the argument from authority fallacy. They've all had so much airtime too on LBC, talkradio and in print press yet whine about being silenced.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

The brass neck of these cnuts. To make a grab for the headlines again at the precise moment that events in India are proving how spectacularly wrong-headed their previous correspondence was.
Similar theme:
A pro-Modi investment consultant/economist got this published on Saturday:
https://indianexpress.com/article/o...ve-cases-electoral-rallies-modi-govt-7283840/

This was the news on Sunday:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-kolkata-is-positive/articleshow/82236519.cms

(That's the state which has been hosting big rallies by Modi and the opposition)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
A lot of Italians think this but i don't know. By summer most people will be vaccinated, and the way it's going with the most capable vaccine. AZ stocks are almost empty. We are flooded with Pfizer and switching new vaccinations to that. Reservation for under 50s start in just over 2 weeks. Everything is looking good on that front.

It's Day 1 of yellow zone and the streets are already full so no doubt cases will rise. I'm not sure hospitalisations and deaths will follow this time.

Are you planning to return?
It won't be like that everywhere in Italy, unfortunately. We're only just vaccinating the 65-69s, and that's an enormous number of people.

H10

Huseyin 10
Has anyone used the Eurostar in the past few months to travel abroad? I.e Paris/Amsterdam? I've tried calling Eurostar but can't get through to anybody.

I'm planning to go from Kings cross to Amsterdam and I've been looking online and have had conflicting messages from websites. Some say you just need a PCR test to be done atleast 72hours prior to arriving whereas others say you also need a rapid test done within 24hours of arriving.

Is there anybody who has travelled recently able to shed any light?

Carolina Red

Staff
And then here’s Florida being Florida

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...zbIdVHotS_rW_FPN9uUK7pA3VKQb33jSVEa_4QDosK_oc

“A school in Miami is coming under fire after it reportedly sent out a letter telling vaccinated employees they could not be around students, citing false claims linking the vaccine to changes in women’s reproductive cycles.

In the letter, Centner reportedly told employees that they would not be allowed to be around students if they received the coronavirus vaccine, pointing to reports she claimed that “surfaced recently of non-vaccinated people being negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated.

“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” Centner also stated in the letter, according to the Times.”

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I just heard that my son's Uni in CA is proposing to go back to F2F classes in Fall and you won't be allowed to attend if you aren't vaccinated.

4 of his team/housemates are whinging about restrictions due to Coronavirus and also whinging about getting vaccinated because FREEDOM.

The coach called them out one by one in front of the team and tore trips off them. My son was hugely amused. When his mate complained he told him to "get the feck over yourself and get vaccinated". He also said to us that it is hard to live with so much stupid.

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I agree with his coach; all students and faculty that get vaccinated should attend F2F classes for the Fall 2021 semester - or if they exercise their freedumb by not getting vaccinated, then stay at home and learn online.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I agree with his coach; all students and faculty that get vaccinated should attend F2F classes for the Fall 2021 semester - or if they exercise their freedumb by not getting vaccinated, then stay at home and learn online.
Purely online learning only occurs for a few Summer classes normally so I suspect it is in effect requiring vaccination for enrolment. Only proposed so far but I suspect it will happen.

Solskjaer20

It won't be like that everywhere in Italy, unfortunately. We're only just vaccinating the 65-69s, and that's an enormous number of people.
That's unbelievably slow. I thought all EU countries were supposed to have equitable distribution. Here in Cyprus, everyone above the age of 39 will have had at least the 1st dose by this weekend. And yes, I know Cyprus has got 1/60th of Italy's population, but vaccines are meant to be distributed per capita.

That's unbelievably slow. I thought all EU countries were supposed to have equitable distribution. Here in Cyprus, everyone above the age of 39 will have had at least the 1st dose by this weekend. And yes, I know Cyprus has got 1/60th of Italy's population, but vaccines are meant to be distributed per capita.
They are. It's down to Italy's ageing population and the way they are distributing the vaccine internally. Italy is ahead of Cyprus in pretty much every vaccination metric, but there are so many old people here, and fully vaccinating people is being given priority over giving only a first dose. About 2/3 of the population falls into the over 60s or priority categories.

The situation is likely different in the South. I've read some regions are refusing to follow the national plan and are giving vaccines to whoever they feel like. Where I am they are doing about 1% of the population per day.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Has anyone used the Eurostar in the past few months to travel abroad? I.e Paris/Amsterdam? I've tried calling Eurostar but can't get through to anybody.

I'm planning to go from Kings cross to Amsterdam and I've been looking online and have had conflicting messages from websites. Some say you just need a PCR test to be done atleast 72hours prior to arriving whereas others say you also need a rapid test done within 24hours of arriving.

Is there anybody who has travelled recently able to shed any light?
I used it in August, but that was before the need to test. At that time it was just the locator form and masks.

I did see a good guide on Stanstead airport's website:

https://consumersupport.collinsonassistance.com/en/support/home

Obviously will need to check what tests are recognized / required by the country that you are travelling to, but it's a good guide to which tests there are.

Am going to book a trip to the Netherlands in May – just waiting to see what is going to happen with the traffic lights so I could potentially avoid having to quarantine, but if they are not a green country will still head over.Currently, you have to quarantine for 10 days in the Netherlands, but you can take a test after 5 days, and if that is negative you can end your quarantine.

The Dutch goveernment website has lots of helpful info: https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19

GloryHunter07

Go Cyprus!
Just started a lockdown though with cases going in the wrong direction. Hopefully things improve quickly.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Good question.
I was wondering what the situation is in the neighbouring countries. Pakistan for instance.

GloryHunter07

Is there any evidence yet to support the conjecture that younger people are worse affected in India?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good question.
I was wondering what the situation is in the neighbouring countries. Pakistan for instance.
My family in Pakistan are saying things are quite bad & it’s spreading very quickly, so I would assumed they’re in a Covid wave that is yet to peak. There’s at least 10 people of all ages I know who have been infected with Covid in the last week & they’re all over the country, so it doesn’t look like it’s restricted to one city.

Hopefully it doesn’t explode, but things aren’t looking good and with Eid upcoming in 2 weeks’ time, things may get worse. The vaccination program isn’t as good as India’s either.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
My family in Pakistan are saying things are quite bad & it’s spreading very quickly, so I would assumed they’re in a Covid wave that is yet to peak. There’s at least 10 people of all ages I know who have been infected with Covid in the last week & they’re all over the country, so it doesn’t look like it’s restricted to one city.

Hopefully it doesn’t explode, but things aren’t looking good and with Eid upcoming in 2 weeks’ time, things may get worse. The vaccination program isn’t as good as India’s either.

That must be a real worry for you. I do hope that your family are able to stay as safe as is possible until vaccinated.