SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

SirAnderson

So from having no symptoms mainly other than no smell and reduced taste...I started to get body pains 2 days ago, then yesterday chest started to get a bit tight, and last night couldn't get much sleep in.
So drove myself to the hospital and doc says I got covid pneumonia, oxygen at 87%, so they have admitted me and awaiting medication while on oxygen.

Fortunately my wife is over her 14 days and is already doing better, so she can look after the kids now.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So from having no symptoms mainly other than no smell and reduced taste...I started to get body pains 2 days ago, then yesterday chest started to get a bit tight, and last night couldn't get much sleep in.
So drove myself to the hospital and doc says I got covid pneumonia, oxygen at 87%, so they have admitted me and awaiting medication while on oxygen.

Fortunately my wife is over her 14 days and is already doing better, so she can look after the kids now.
Ah hell. That's unfortunate. Stay in touch and get well soon.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

I hope you feel better soon.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not sure what it is at the minute but the announcement today is expected to be that double jabbed close contacts won't be needing to isolate anymore.
In Ireland fully vaccinated close contacts haven’t needed to self isolate for a while now.

Although they’ve recently changed that to requiring close contacts of a “variant of concern” (basically delta) to get tested and self-isolate. One step forwards, two steps back.

Santos J

In Ireland fully vaccinated close contacts haven’t needed to self isolate for a while now.

Although they’ve recently changed that to requiring close contacts of a “variant of concern” (basically delta) to get tested and self-isolate. One step forwards, two steps back.
Yeah just confirmed but not until August 16th, double jabbed and U18's won't need to isolate after close contact.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Get well soon fella

Gaz.

Well-Liked Assman
Got my 1st dose Pfizer today

Slick operation here in NI.

Booked last night at 10pm, in today at 13.20

SSE arena converted into the regional vaccination centre.

Even got a free ice cream after!

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Get well soon.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

I hope you feel better soon man.

Bratt

Get well soon, mate.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I'm about to fly to Majorca soon. The rate is 100 there :eek:
I still do not need a test before the flight... :houllier:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
After a run of fairly bleak posts, here’s a Twitter thread with some more up-beat content.

Nice.

I'm getting my first dose on Friday, so I'll say what I said all along. Open indoor dining for fully vaccinated people on the first week of August.

A fully vaccinated distant relative of mine has just been admitted to hospital in a bad way with Covid. The doctors say his chances are not good. He's late 80s and got Pfizer.

The rest of my family now see this as proof of two things, 1) the foreign vaccines are no good, and 2) they shouldn't be going out anywhere as vaccinated people can still die from it. They were already nervous about Boris's reopening plan and I'm running out of ways to convince them to go back outside.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
A fully vaccinated distant relative of mine has just been admitted to hospital in a bad way with Covid. The doctors say his chances are not good. He's late 80s and got Pfizer.

The rest of my family now see this as proof of two things, 1) the foreign vaccines are no good, and 2) they shouldn't be going out anywhere as vaccinated people can still die from it. They were already nervous about Boris's reopening plan and I'm running out of ways to convince them to go back outside.
Need more info like vaccine name and your country. Duh, UK. By foreign vaccines do you mean Pfizer?

FFS I'm having a shit day. I'm not even going to delete this post. :(

Sparky Rhiwabon

My daughter, who is 22, won’t get the vaccine as she’s worried about it affecting fertility. She says that there won’t have been enough testing or evidence to know that it doesn’t. She also thinks that at her age the risk of having the vaccine (including the risk above but other risks as well) probably outweighs the benefits, but that the government will push the vaccine on people her age for herd immunity reasons.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

That article he's using contains what looks like a very good summary of what the UK is doing, and the kind of outcome the government is planning around. 100k cases/day, 2k/day hospital admissions, 100 people/day deaths.

The underlying theory is that we're heading for herd immunity and we've a choice of now or in the winter. If it's now, schools and colleges will start to operate more or less as normal in the autumn and the NHS won't collapse.

The unspoken element is that basically the old and immune compromised (vaxxed or not) should be advised to stay home for the next couple of months, and their kids/grandkids should go back to meeting them outside, at a distance. It's not going to be a good time for multi-generation family holidays etc.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
My daughter, who is 22, won’t get the vaccine as she’s worried about it affecting fertility. She says that there won’t have been enough testing or evidence to know that it doesn’t. She also thinks that at her age the risk of having the vaccine (including the risk above but other risks as well) probably outweighs the benefits, but that the government will push the vaccine on people her age for herd immunity reasons.
Well, my fiance's sister-in-law ,who has been vaccinated for a while now, is pregnant and just past the 12 week phase (got pregnant in-between jabs).

There is no evidence to back up your daughter's fears (understandable though), and despite being anecdotal/one case, I hope this allays some of the concern.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Firstly, sorry to hear about your relative, distant or not. And unfortunately, they are just another statistic. One of the up to 100,000 per day predicted new infections which Boris and his health secretary believe is perfectly acceptable as they try to convince us that it is ok to remove the covid restrictions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

That article he's using contains what looks like a very good summary of what the UK is doing, and the kind of outcome the government is planning around. 100k cases/day, 2k/day hospital admissions, 100 people/day deaths.

The underlying theory is that we're heading for herd immunity and we've a choice of now or in the winter. If it's now, schools and colleges will start to operate more or less as normal in the autumn and the NHS won't collapse.

The unspoken element is that basically the old and immune compromised (vaxxed or not) should be advised to stay home for the next couple of months, and their kids/grandkids should go back to meeting them outside, at a distance. It's not going to be a good time for multi-generation family holidays etc.
I still don’t understand the logic. If they’re so worried about a return to schools in September why not spend the rest of the summer vaccinating 12-18 year olds?

Herd immunity via “letting it rip” was always a hugely risky concept. Taking that approach when vaccines are available is straight up negligent. And that’s not even getting into the potential consequences of a huge surge in a partially vaccinated population putting selective pressure on the virus to mutate into vaccine resistant strains.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ask her if there’s any testing or evidence to know for certain that being infected with covid won’t affect fertility.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Well, they already know that it doesn't affect fertility (plenty of new pregnancies among the vaxxed) We've now also had the first few (full term healthy) babies born from people who became pregnant just before/or soon after their jabs on the clinical trials (despite the trial instructions not to!)

stw2022

For those who support the idea of trying to get to herd immunity then how can it take be achieved without letting it spread in a hopefully largely vaccinated population?