SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ha.. hardly surprising. It’s a cliche but footballers are not the brightest. If there was ever a group of people that were gonna pop up with nanobots and Erectile dysfunction theories higher than the average group, it was going to be footballers.
Yup. MMA fighters the same. Although at least they have the excuse of regular brain trauma.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
7 days after symptoms began im starting to feel normal again, Ill say it again, thank feck for the jab, I really dont want to imagine how bad I would have been otherwise. Just the cabin fever to deal with now, missing the Mrs, the gap between the cushions on the sofa is starting to look very seductive.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Interesting the way some clubs (Leeds, Southampton, Wolves, Brentford) have excellent take up, while others are absolutely dreadful. They talk about clubs where players have too much power and influence being the problem. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if that’s the case at United.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Interesting the way some clubs (Leeds, Southampton, Wolves, Brentford) have excellent take up, while others are absolutely dreadful. They talk about clubs where players have too much power and influence being the problem. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if that’s the case at United.
I wonder if it's a problem in other leagues. Spain's La Liga clubs all seem, publicly at least, committed to there idea of vaccinating all the players. Most of the players seem to have been vaccinated back in June/July time (or earlier with some of the international players, and players going to the Olympics).

Anyone heard more on what happening across Europe?

Unfortunately, the PL pattern seems not that far off the UK one for young men generally:
A lot remain convinced that they (and presumably their family and other close contacts) are not in any danger of serious illness (except when faced with a vaccine)

It's probably time to start applying the UK standard quarantine rules to footballers - quarantine on return from foreign trips, quarantine following a contact etc.

lynchie

I can see the conspiracy theorists having a field day with this one already, given it's made by Merck, the makers of Ivermectin.
It's already started - I saw a claim that it "contains some of the same molecular qualities as ivermectin." I'm going to hazard a guess that the bit they share is the little plasticy capsule bit that keeps the drugs in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Definitely positive but will wait for full paper, peer review etc. Also good that its an oral medication.
https://www.merck.com/news/merck-an...to-placebo-for-patients-with-mild-or-moderat/
Yeah, the devil will be in the detail. And there’s going to be a LOT of detail to unpick. Timing is going to be difficult to get right and safety profile will need to be excellent when the NNT is bound to be high. You’d also want to know if you see the same benefits in vaccinated people. Might end up being niched for the unvaccinated only. I’d also like to see oral antiviral therapies trialled as PEP. If someone catches covid you treat them and everyone else in the household.

Last edited:

lynchie

In fairness, they do look kinda similar - I see they both use Hs and Os.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, by the looks of it in many hospitals here used technical oxygen(or industrial) instead of clean medical for patient that needed in in last year or so, because the companies close to goverment couldn't provide licences and enough quantities for medical oxygen, but instead they supplied with industrial in secret without anyone checking. Considering the corrupted goverment trusted them, and the big companies that trade oxygen decided their earnings are more important than human lives, patients got industrial oxygen instead of medical.

(I am not sure if the terms for industrial/technical and medicals translate good in English, but I believe you lot will understand i

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened in many other countries, considering hardly anyone in hospitals knew the difference here until the political opposition showed the evidence considering we are coming into an election year. Week or two after showing the evidence many hospitals are still not sure which oxygen they got from which supplier.

Bosws87

I wonder if it's a problem in other leagues. Spain's La Liga clubs all seem, publicly at least, committed to there idea of vaccinating all the players. Most of the players seem to have been vaccinated back in June/July time (or earlier with some of the international players, and players going to the Olympics).

Anyone heard more on what happening across Europe?

Unfortunately, the PL pattern seems not that far off the UK one for young men generally:
A lot remain convinced that they (and presumably their family and other close contacts) are not in any danger of serious illness (except when faced with a vaccine)

It's probably time to start applying the UK standard quarantine rules to footballers - quarantine on return from foreign trips, quarantine following a contact etc.
Different world for them, they are in the leagues of Trump & Rogan if they get it they will get every treatment available and more then likely be over it in days not like you or me having to be on deaths door to get the chance of some of the treatments and even then it might be luck of the draw.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Definitely positive but will wait for full paper, peer review etc. Also good that its an oral medication.
https://www.merck.com/news/merck-an...to-placebo-for-patients-with-mild-or-moderat/
I love this idea. The whole "lemsip for covid" thing would be a great step forward. But I'll admit this drug makes me nervous - hopefully just because I'm unfamiliar with it.

At first sight though, the description of how it works is quite scary - scarier to me than the sound of the vaccines.

It's a treatment course that helps, provided it's delivered at the right time to the right people. What about when it doesn't help? Maybe because they took it too late or because the didn't complete the course or just because it didn't work for them. What will their particular mutant virus now look like?

Plus, it's an expensive product - maybe $700/course initially (though presumably that would fall fast if it sells at volume). Not as expensive as hospitalisation or antibody treatments - but certainly not lemsip! Giving it to targeted individuals (people who vaccines may not work on) would be an option, but that's going to need a bigger trial. Giving it to everyone is really only a runner (in most countries) if case rates are really low and testing and prescribing is done early.

It's not the sort of pill the average householder can keep in their cupboard in case their workmate tests positive, or if an LFT shows positive. Or, at least, it won't be for a long while.

So, I guess I'm a bit, "hmm, yeah, not sure," about this particular piece of news. Not about the principle though. I'm hoping we'll develop some great therapeutics - particularly ones which like this one have the potential to open the door to things like flu treatments as well. Hopefully this is the start of something big.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Oh well, so far so safe but the first of our household has now tested positive. LFT and PCR. Let a nervy week commence.
Good luck mate, my daughter and I had it, was rough as he'll for a few days even having been jabbed, but in the bright side it lasted less than a week.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
New Zealand officially giving up on zero covid strategy. Sensible decision now delta has taken root.
Still going pretty hard with lockdowns to keep cases very low until vaccination is very high. In practice I don't think much will change but they are just trying to take the wind out of the sails of the right wingers who want to open up and bugger the consequences.

Last edited:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Still going pretty hard with lockdowns to keep cases very low until vaccination is very high. In practice I don't think much will change but they are just trying to take the wind out of the sails of the right wingers who want to open up and bugger the consequences.
Its quite amazing what Im watching from our right wing right now. There are legitimate things to complain about with respect to labour and Jacindas approach to this virus but our right wing are focussed on simply lying and spreading complete untruths to unsettle the population. I understand they have a job to do with respect to trying to become the governing party but they are taking no part in actively helping with driving the vaccination push. Unfortunately our media seem to be fully on board with their approach, its like the switch has been flicked to go into tall poppy syndrome. I really do wonder if Murdoch has snuck in here in disguise its got that bad. I work as an advertising photographer and one of my clients is NZME our biggest media outlet, they own TVNZ our biggest TV network and the NZ Herald our biggest newspaper. The NZ Herald has a bunch of right wing political journalists and every single day there has been an anti Govt/Jacinda story since the beginning of the Pandemic. I was in at NZME doing a couple of days photography for an ad campaign 3 months ago and noted while working that that set of journalists share a group of desks, probably not really surprising but it did explain why so many stories appeared that were similar but written by different journalists. It feels like an orchestrated campaign or attack. The last 3 months has seen my trust in NZ journalists drop to an all time low.
I acknowledge I have a bias but whats happening presently in our own media really rides past my own bias and shows a massive lack of honesty and ethical direction from our media. Welcome to the real world I guess.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Its quite amazing what Im watching from our right wing right now. There are legitimate things to complain about with respect to labour and Jacindas approach to this virus but our right wing are focussed on simply lying and spreading complete untruths to unsettle the population. I understand they have a job to do with respect to trying to become the governing party but they are taking no part in actively helping with driving the vaccination push. Unfortunately our media seem to be fully on board with their approach, its like the switch has been flicked to go into tall poppy syndrome. I really do wonder if Murdoch has snuck in here in disguise its got that bad. I work as an advertising photographer and one of my clients is NZME our biggest media outlet, they own TVNZ our biggest TV network and the NZ Herald our biggest newspaper. The NZ Herald has a bunch of right wing political journalists and every single day there has been an anti Govt/Jacinda story since the beginning of the Pandemic. I was in at NZME doing a couple of days photography for an ad campaign 3 months ago and noted while working that that set of journalists share a group of desks, probably not really surprising but it did explain why so many stories appeared that were similar but written by different journalists. It feels like an orchestrated campaign or attack. The last 3 months has seen my trust in NZ journalists drop to an all time low.
I acknowledge I have a bias but whats happening presently in our own media really rides past my own bias and shows a massive lack of honesty and ethical direction from our media. Welcome to the real world I guess.
What angle are they going for? Lockdowns not needed now we have vaccines? Or zero covid strategy the wrong one from the outset?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What are the lies?

WPMUFC

New Delta strain in the community in NSW
The CHO, Dr Kerry Chant says the state identified a new strand of the Delta variant in the community.
"New South Wales Health is continuing to investigate the source of the Delta strain. I should - so this is a new Delta strain identified through genome sequencing.
"As a routine, we progressively do special testing on all the isolates and we've detected a genome of the Delta strain which is different from that that was previously transmitting in our community.
"We've linked that back to a person who returned from overseas but the exact mechanism of how that strain emerged and got into the community in western Sydney is still under investigation. So we will update you as those investigations continue. But I want to reassure you that there's nothing about this Delta strain from looking at the genomics that suggested it's any more transmissible."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10...ases-vaccinations-press-conferences/100526130

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
What are the lies?
Our former PM John Key last week said that our Govt were using fear tactics to get people vaccinated. Anyone with an ounce of sensibility will recognise that one of the reasons we were able to keep our death rate so incredibly low was because the Govt used clear and coherent explanations of what they were trying to do and why. They openly changed policy if they felt their original mandates were wrong ( mask advice being a good example of them changing advice, given with clear explanation).
John Key then used fear tactics himself in trying to sell the idea that NZ had a massive problem with the Govt borrowing huge amounts of money which future generations would suffer from. Only the week before he made these comments the OECD GDP figures came out and showed NZ as having the highest growth of any OECD country.
Amusingly when John Key became PM NZ had a debt ratio of 0% of GDP and when he left power it was at 29% of GDP. When NZ entered this pandemic our govt debt to gdp ration was 27% and after the first lockdown it had grown to 33%. Because we spent less time with lockdown type restrictions we ended up seeing business flourish here and we had a large tax take which in turn meant our Govt debt ratio to GDP had dropped very slightly to 32% of GDP. John Key took our Govt debt up to 45% because he had to deal with a GFC and 2 major earthquakes, he was able to bring the debt levels down but it is massively dishonest of him to make an allegation even when figures the previous month showed the exact opposite.
Another major lie was that our Opposition party were claiming the Govt had no plan of what to do over the next year and how to exit the closed border issues. Amusingly again back in June the Govt published exactly that type of plan with very clear steps to opening up.
The leader of our main opposition party accused one of our epidemiologists of breaking lockdown restriction rules last month and that was subsequently completely debunked, yet just a week later she actually broke the restriction rules and had to apologise for doing so.
I could carry on but you get the idea.

Foxbatt

USA is going to accept travellers vaccinated with WHO approved vaccines from next month.