SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
25% vaccination rate in South Africa. Wonder how many vaccinated on that flight?
Apparently the fully vaccinated passengers could travel on those planes with no pre-flight test, the unvaxxed needed a pre-flight test. I guess we're all waiting now for what Netherlands tell us about the details really.

If it is something like a cruise ship group disproportionately involved in the positive tests then the chances are they'd have had to show they were double vaccinated to the tour company as well. Pure speculation of course, more an attempt to get something positive out the scenario than anything else :wenger:

Traub

Only discovered this morning that 95% of South Africa’s population is < 65! That’s going to make it very difficult to get a handle on severity in elderly/vulnerable patients.
To make it worse, many of those < 65 are immunocompromised, public healthcare is absolutely terrible (private is world class) and vaccination rates are low. So there may be a relatively high mortality rate for the population which will cause even more panic.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I am not really suggesting anything, but trying to understand the science behind this and how the numbers can jump up so much.
Panic has hit a lot of people here in South Africa, talks and government suggestions about harder lockdowns, no interprovincial travel, total ban on alcohol ( Bottle stores here are been overrun and stocks are running out ),
Increasing the curfew etc.
The holiday season is almost upon us, and a lot of people have made Festive Season plans.
I own a restaurant and am dreading this new 4th wave lockdown coming, December is always my best business month of the year, and last years lockdown, imposed from just before Christmas, was terrible for business.
Ah, sorry. From your other post it almost sounded as if you were suggesting that the government and media were in on some kind of giant conspiracy. I dread speaking to one of my friends later tonight, because he's been harping on about this "December 2-5 4th wave prediction". I'm also South African. Science can seem like magic. It just goes to show how this virus (waves, etc) is actually very predictable if you have the data and the knowledge on how to apply it.

Tonight Ramaphosa will probably push us up a level or two, but I don't think he's going to stop interprovincial travel. Your restaurant and our country will be hit with an alcohol ban (surely not tonight...?), but I hope/think it will be a more lucrative December for you this time around. Beaches? I really don't think they'll close beaches again for such a prolonged period, but definitely for those busy December/January days .

The country depends on tourism, and with international flights off the cards I really can't see Cyril twisting the knife even further by killing the holiday for everyone.

And yes, the numbers are growing very quickly. My guess is it's happening in pockets, not across the board. And if Omicron is more contagious then the growing numbers shouldn't come as a surprise.

Good luck buddy. We're all in this together.

BootsyCollins

Hope its okey to Ask here. I am flying to Manchester from Sweden on this friday to watch the Palace game. I am flying home on sunday after the match.

I am reading now that i need to do a PCR test and wait for the testresult in isolation. So how fast does the result come? If i take the test on saturday, can i even watch the game on sunday?

Don't Kill Bill

Hope its okey to Ask here. I am flying to Manchester from Sweden on this friday to watch the Palace game. I am flying home on sunday after the match.

I am reading now that i need to do a PCR test and wait for the testresult in isolation. So how fast does the result come? If i take the test on saturday, can i even watch the game on sunday?
I had a PCR test on Friday result came back 24 hrs later to within the hour. Guy said most do but, and you don't want to here this, but he also said ring the number on the back of the form if you haven't heard back in three days.

Its a gamble I'm afraid.

There are 3 hour PCR tests available but they're not yet setup for the Day 2 arrivals system. Its also not clear what self isolate will mean either. You're going to have to wait a few days for testing companies to get their offers sorted out.

BootsyCollins

I had a PCR test on Friday result came back 24 hrs later to within the hour. Guy said most do but, and you don't want to here this, but he also said ring the number on the back of the form if you haven't heard back in three days.

Its a gamble I'm afraid.
There are 3 hour PCR tests available but they're not yet setup for the Day 2 arrivals system. Its also not clear what self isolate will mean either. You're going to have to wait a few days for testing companies to get their offers sorted out.
Thanks both of you. I will wait a couple of days to see if there is any new information and if its not possible to get it faster than 24h i probably cancel the trip:(

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Most of the private companies are returning results too slowly to guarantee it. If you do it on Friday, on arrival at the airport (pre-book a walk-in appointment) you might be able to get a "quick" turnround time version of the 2 day test though. Quick in this context at Manchester airport means they say they'll give you the result next day, I've no idea how reliable those services are though. It might be ok - because it's not peak season. It might fail completely - because we've just switched from most people needing LFTs back to PCRs again so the capacity may not be there.

Sorry.

BootsyCollins

Most of the private companies are returning results too slowly to guarantee it. If you do it on Friday, on arrival at the airport (pre-book a walk-in appointment) you might be able to get a "quick" turnround time version of the 2 day test though. Quick in this context at Manchester airport means they say they'll give you the result next day, I've no idea how reliable those services are though. It might be ok - because it's not peak season. It might fail completely - because we've just switched from most people needing LFTs back to PCRs again so the capacity may not be there.

Sorry.
Thanks. Will wait and see if its possible for faster results and if its not i will cancel. Fecking sucks, first trip in years and timed it perfectly with the new variant:rolleyes:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Got my booster today. Haven’t died yet, though I did get slightly dizzy head for a minute in the recovery area. Grand now

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So I got over a bout of Covid a little under 2 months ago - anyone know when I should/could get my booster? (UK).

I had my second AZ jab in mid May but not sure if any natural antibodies would stop me from getting the booster - I'm not eligible yet for it but expect the gov to widen the age ranges soon.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
So I got over a bout of Covid a little under 2 months ago - anyone know when I should/could get my booster? (UK).

I had my second AZ jab in mid May but not sure if any natural antibodies would stop me from getting the booster - I'm not eligible yet for it but expect the gov to widen the age ranges soon.
When I looked on the NHS last week it told me 6 months after the 2nd jab but also I had to wait 28 days since I tested positive - that works out exactly the same for me oddly enough.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Does this mean I'm bollocksed for the United game on Thursday?

My flight is 6:30 in the morning. Game at 8pm.
If the BBC are right then the rules for travel from Ireland to the UK are indeed unchanged - that is no tests or quarantine required.

"Everyone entering the UK (other than those coming from the Common Travel Area that covers the Channel Islands and Ireland) will have to take a PCR test by the end of the second full day after their arrival and self-isolate until they receive a negative result."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59453744

That could change of course.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Got my booster today. Haven’t died yet, though I did get slightly dizzy head for a minute in the recovery area. Grand now
You might feel it tomorrow. I got mine at 18.00 felt fine went out went to sleep, all was well. Next day it hit me, felt completely knackered for almost 3 days. Took pain killers to help.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You might feel it tomorrow. I got mine at 18.00 felt fine went out went to sleep, all was well. Next day it hit me, felt completely knackered for almost 3 days. Took pain killers to help.
Yeah I’ve just got up for the school run and it feels like Mike Tyson has battered me around the ring

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
We are all shitting ourselves ‘cause we’re suffering from global insecurity.

The italicized bit comes from a medically reviewed article entitled “Signs of insecurity” on WebMD.

Some of our thoughts can be filled with doubt…Too much insecurity can lead to other problems…Insecurity produces anxiety about your ability to handle certain situations…It might stem from a traumatic event…It can also stem from general instability...Insecurity often bleeds over from one area of life into another….Insecurity can lead to mental health risks…People with insecurity often want to appear secure, and their explicit comments may be at odds with their automatic responses to certain stimuli…the act of faking then reinforces the social insecurity...Social insecurity can lead people to avoid social interactions, isolating themselves…All types of insecurity can lead to decreased mental wellness. Depressive or anxious behaviour or thinking is often an effect of insecurity…

Has there ever been a time when society has been this insecure? I used to think this COVID shite would prepare us for future medical/biological challenges (of which there would be many), but now I’m wondering if we’ll ever get out of this rut. Is it just going to spiral onwards? Who knows? Perhaps the most disconcerting of all of this is the “anti-science” sentiment that has brainwashed 50% of everyone on earth. If we can’t rely on science during a scientific challenge, who or what can we rely on to get us through this or similar challenges in the future?

Last edited:

Sparky Rhiwabon

At this point, would we be better off just closing our borders to any country that doesn’t have a good handle on Covid, e.g. less than 50% fully vaccinated? Because it’s those countries where new variants are more likely to develop. Closing borders after a new variant has emerged is too late imo.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
At this point, would we be better off just closing our borders to any country that doesn’t have a good handle on Covid, e.g. less than 50% fully vaccinated? Because it’s those countries where new variants are more likely to develop. Closing borders after a new variant has emerged is too late imo.
Yeah. Let's just isolate ourselves completely. Global village? Pah! Let's drop the "global" and get back to "village"

Tarrou

Its a gamble I'm afraid.
you can get same day result pcr tests but need to pay a bit more

I just booked mine as I'm arriving in Heathrow next week, getting a test at the airport for £139 - result guaranteed by nidnight

Bit harsh for the West to take vaccines off these countries, using them instead for their own boosters, and soon no doubt another round of boosters; and then punish these countries for ”not having a good handle on Covid” :lol: