SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Is that the case even when you’re getting a different vaccine?

My wife and me both had AZ for 1&2, but obviously not for our boosters this morning which were Pfizer and they told us we didn’t need to hang around if we didn’t want to.
If you were together they wouldn't worry about you as much as if you're on your own. If you were going to wander off around a shopping centre they don't worry as much as if you're about to get in the car and start driving.

Hopefully people still get some basic advice, but yeah, I think they're relying on the most susceptible (past allergic reactions to something) to hang around, offering the chance to anyone feeling nervous or unwell, and hoping for the best with the others. Not that different to how routine flu jabs are treated.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My uncle got his booster today and is in terrible shape. Had violent shits on the way home and was conked out like a zombie on the sofa but he’s coming around now.
Maybe it’s a coincidence but it is new for him
Sounds nasty but doesn’t sound like anaphylaxis, which would involve swelling of his lips/face, rashes and (if it’s really bad) wheezing and chest tightness or (if it’s really really bad) very low blood pressure -> loss of conscience -> death. .

He should probably get a covid test. He certainly wouldn’t be the first person to coincidentally become symptomatic with covid the same day as their jab.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If you were together they wouldn't worry about you as much as if you're on your own. If you were going to wander off around a shopping centre they don't worry as much as if you're about to get in the car and start driving.

Hopefully people still get some basic advice, but yeah, I think they're relying on the most susceptible (past allergic reactions to something) to hang around, offering the chance to anyone feeling nervous or unwell, and hoping for the best with the others. Not that different to how routine flu jabs are treated.
Makes sense I guess.

We just got an Uber home because we couldn’t be arsed walking.

Duafc

Village Lemon
My first day out of isolation today.

I am double jabbed with AZ and tested positive early last week. I've had strange symptoms, the first day just felt wiped out tired. Then a few days of random coughing, loss of appetite and just awful aches and muscle pains and tiredness.

My daughter who is 9 had it too and three nights in a row her temperature spiked to 40.5 and had to have the paramedics out twice for her. She's much better now.

My sister has it and has the same symptoms as me, she's double jabbed but not sure which vaccine. Her son who is 15 had it really bad too, he was really poorly. Yet his brother who has isolated with them hasn't caught it. And my partner who has shared the bed with our daughter for the last 10 days hasn't caught it either. She's double Pfizer jabbed.

Like many places, it's ripped through our town and area. I've known so many with it and many with little or no symptoms and many like me who suffered like a nasty flu symptoms. I am yet to speak to anyone other than younger kids who have had it and have not been vaccinated, but it appears the vaccines are definitely working to lessen the impact of the virus.

All the stats seem to indicate this too. Cases rising but hospitalisations and deaths appear to be roughly the same and at the moment (touch wood) not rising exponentially like the cases seem to be.

Although it's cost me enough with the lockdowns, I had to close last weekend ( we were fully booked each night) as I didn't have enough staff and didn't want to risk the ones who didn't have it getting it or if they had it, spreading it to customers. So that cost a fortune. I had tickets for me and my lad to see Bill Bailey on Monday we had to cancel and we were due to fly to Finland, Lapland on Tuesday and then had tickets for United Brighton today, so all in all I went from having the best week ever planned to having the actual nightmare before Christmas.

On the bright side though, none of us got severely Ill or worse with Covid, but now we have to once again face the prospect of uncertainty and having to close the pub again during the busy holiday period that usually gets us through the lean winter and early spring months.

I'm just now more disillusioned and confused about how I feel about the whole scenario. I'm not sure how many businesses can cope with more shut downs or how many more people can cope either. Especially teenagers like mine and his cousins in their final years at school. They are suffering awfully and struggling to catch up for their exams and the schools just seem lost and unable to cope or help support then.

Covid causes far more damage than just those sick or dying. It really is a fecking nightmare and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight either.

Sorry for the long meandering post, just needed to get all that out.
It is undeniably brutal in so many ways, mate.

I’m really glad you and your family are okay though - that sounds like a very scary experience with your daughter!

My uncle got his booster today and is in terrible shape. Had violent shits on the way home and was conked out like a zombie on the sofa but he’s coming around now.
Maybe it’s a coincidence but it is new for him
Didn’t think much of it at the time. But after taking my first jab, I waited my 15, might have been longer at the time but don’t quote me, on the way back I had the sudden urge to poo and when I got back it was pretty explosive & diariha like. Didn’t get that on my second jab.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah they asked me this morning was I driving (I was) and they asked me to avoid doing so for 15 minutes (said I could wait in the waiting area or go and have a wander).

cyberman

Didn’t think much of it at the time. But after taking my first jab, I waited my 15, might have been longer at the time but don’t quote me, on the way back I had the sudden urge to poo and when I got back it was pretty explosive & diariha like. Didn’t get that on my second jab.
That’s exactly it. Shit luck for my uncle is that the vaccine centre is an hour away from his house!

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Life does go on and it has to. We can't keep stop/starting education as a zero cost option. We do need to let people live their lives, including all those frivolous things like playing/watching football, going to the pub, meeting new people, spending time with family and friends, going on holiday.
Those things may be frivolous, but they ARE life to many. People need things to look forward to or distractions otherwise their lives don't have any joy or much meaning. The amount of old single men and women that go to the pub or for coffee mornings etc, it's their life. They literally have nothing without that.

I've only spent 10 days in isolation and was climbing the walls, and I had all modern distractions too, but it made me think how rough lockdown must have been for so many people. Especially those who live alone or in unhappy households.

I was lucky, I loved lockdown. It gave me time with my family and our dog and time to really enjoy the beautiful area I live in without working 24/7 and with no tourists. But I understand how others struggled with lockdown. Kids going back to school have it incredibly tough as do their teachers. Those waiting for hospital appointments etc..

I'm definitely firmly in the camp now of we have to learn to live with it. Keep certain things like masks on public transport etc, regular testing and a firm vaccination plan, but all the time the death and hospitalisations are relatively low, we need to have as normal a life as possible.

If it mutates to Ebola levels of danger then that's different, but all the while for the vast majority (especially those who have been vaccinated) just get mild symptoms I think we are risking far more harm through financial loss, mental health issues and potential civil unrest with the more draconian measures such as lockdowns. But if you got it wrong and suddenly everyone started dying or the NHS crashed, then that's an even more frightening prospect.

decorativeed

My first day out of isolation today.

I am double jabbed with AZ and tested positive early last week. I've had strange symptoms, the first day just felt wiped out tired. Then a few days of random coughing, loss of appetite and just awful aches and muscle pains and tiredness.

My daughter who is 9 had it too and three nights in a row her temperature spiked to 40.5 and had to have the paramedics out twice for her. She's much better now.

My sister has it and has the same symptoms as me, she's double jabbed but not sure which vaccine. Her son who is 15 had it really bad too, he was really poorly. Yet his brother who has isolated with them hasn't caught it. And my partner who has shared the bed with our daughter for the last 10 days hasn't caught it either. She's double Pfizer jabbed.

Like many places, it's ripped through our town and area. I've known so many with it and many with little or no symptoms and many like me who suffered like a nasty flu symptoms. I am yet to speak to anyone other than younger kids who have had it and have not been vaccinated, but it appears the vaccines are definitely working to lessen the impact of the virus.

All the stats seem to indicate this too. Cases rising but hospitalisations and deaths appear to be roughly the same and at the moment (touch wood) not rising exponentially like the cases seem to be.

Although it's cost me enough with the lockdowns, I had to close last weekend ( we were fully booked each night) as I didn't have enough staff and didn't want to risk the ones who didn't have it getting it or if they had it, spreading it to customers. So that cost a fortune. I had tickets for me and my lad to see Bill Bailey on Monday we had to cancel and we were due to fly to Finland, Lapland on Tuesday and then had tickets for United Brighton today, so all in all I went from having the best week ever planned to having the actual nightmare before Christmas.

On the bright side though, none of us got severely Ill or worse with Covid, but now we have to once again face the prospect of uncertainty and having to close the pub again during the busy holiday period that usually gets us through the lean winter and early spring months.

I'm just now more disillusioned and confused about how I feel about the whole scenario. I'm not sure how many businesses can cope with more shut downs or how many more people can cope either. Especially teenagers like mine and his cousins in their final years at school. They are suffering awfully and struggling to catch up for their exams and the schools just seem lost and unable to cope or help support then.

Covid causes far more damage than just those sick or dying. It really is a fecking nightmare and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight either.

Sorry for the long meandering post, just needed to get all that out.
Man, you've had a shitter there. But like you say, at least you're all well now.

Have you thought of doing any kind of scheme where customers can buy vouchers for use when things are better? I did that for some bars in Manchester that I wanted to support during lockdown 1, although I never cashed in the vouchers when they reopened.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
It is undeniably brutal in so many ways, mate.

I’m really glad you and your family are okay though - that sounds like a very scary experience with your daughter!

Thanks mate. It was horrific. Worse that I was isolating alone at the pub while the partner and daughter were at home. Such a nightmare.

decorativeed

Is that the case even when you’re getting a different vaccine?

My wife and me both had AZ for 1&2, but obviously not for our boosters this morning which were Pfizer and they told us we didn’t need to hang around if we didn’t want to.
When I went for mine yesterday, I was told I didn't have to wait as it was my third Pfizer, but my stepfather was told he needed to as he'd had 2 AZs previously.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

@jojojo

Does this criticism seem fair to you? Would drive a coach and horses through Imperial’s model, if so. Obviously, I’m far too lazy to read the actual publication :o

There are so many unknowns you can understand them plugging in the only concrete data they have available but extrapolating directly from lab data on antibody levels to protection vs severe disease seems ludicrously conservative. Even for a negative Nelly like me!
Speaking from my position as someone distinctly lacking in expertise. They use the circulating antibody data as part of the infection rate analysis. There's an early VE calculation from the Public Health England available as well, that I think they referenced (certainly the numbers were similar)

Basing the severe disease analysis on the infection analysis is what seems dubious.

If, instead, severe disease protection is high for the past infected, the hybrid immune and the boosted (even though the infection rate protection takes a hit) the worst case things can't happen - at least not in countries like SA, the UK and Ireland. I get that we don't know, so I understand why it appears in the analysis, but I'm still hoping those memory cells do their stuff.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure we have to wait a week and real results from Denmark and the UK will tell us all about the boosters etc.

Simbo

Curious about those that say can’t compare South Africa to here… ok they have a younger population, we have a higher vaccination rate.

They have significantly more people with HIV/AIDS and worse healthcare for those not on private treatment. We have very low HIV rate and very good/world class public healthcare.

So surely we can take positives from the fact that Omicron was much less severe there than here.
Its summer in SA.

M15 Red.

My partner contracted Covid, along with two of my daughters. Myself and my eldest daughter never caught it, despite us all sharing a house. We isolated as best as we could, but it was impossible at times, especially with a 4 year old who, despite testing positive, was showing no symptoms and still flying around like a maniac.

My eldest, who is twelve, has a continuous cough and is still very lethargic. Her isolation only ended 8 days ago though, so I'm hoping she will be back to normal soon.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Speaking from my position as someone distinctly lacking in expertise. They use the circulating antibody data as part of the infection rate analysis. There's an early VE calculation from the Public Health England available as well, that I think they referenced (certainly the numbers were similar)

Basing the severe disease analysis on the infection analysis is what seems dubious.

If, instead, severe disease protection is high for the past infected, the hybrid immune and the boosted (even though the infection rate protection takes a hit) the worst case things can't happen - at least not in countries like SA, the UK and Ireland. I get that we don't know, so I understand why it appears in the analysis, but I'm still hoping those memory cells do their stuff.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure we have to wait a week and real results from Denmark and the UK will tell us all about the boosters etc.
I interpreted that tweet a little differently. I thought he was claiming they were using the % reduction in neutralising antibodies from the various in vitro studies we saw last week as a prediction for the reduction in VE for severe illness.

I’m probably wrong though. And unfortunately too lazy to do the reading needed to educate myself. It’s a curse.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And this is the other part of the why case rates matter story. London hospitals heading into trouble because staff are having to isolate.

This bit is very concerning. Although hopefully gaps at least partially filled by a hell of a lot of prior infections.

0le

Does anyone know where you can easily compare the different vaccination uptakes for each borough in London?

Without Omicron there’s no way we would have had any Christmas restrictions imo.
Europe was already having restrictions and lockdowns, the murmurings started here with some scientist talking about action being needed. IMO, this has just expedited it by a month or 2. I even asked on here what people thought, funnily enough a new variant was something I mentioned.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Europe was already having restrictions and lockdowns, the murmurings started here with some scientist talking about action being needed. IMO, this has just expedited it by a month or 2. I even asked on here what people thought, funnily enough a new variant was something I mentioned.
Are you talking about the UK? We started to flatten to Delta curve?

Bwuk

We wouldn’t have any Christmas restrictions if it wasn’t for Omicron.

Are you talking about the UK? We started to flatten to Delta curve?
Yes I was talking about the U.K. around the time east and some Western European countries started putting in restrictions a month or 2 ago. I noticed more talk here about a hard winter, things being on a knife edge, the need for plan B etc. This was before Omicron.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
There will be a lot of people who simply won't comply if it happens to be honest, especially given the uptake in vaccine/suggestion that it's less severe with boost/vaccine/past infection. People gave up their Christmases last year in part to protect the NHS but equally in part because we still didn't know the fatality/serious illness rates, nor did we have a vaccine.

As much as a circuit breaker is needed, good luck getting enough people on-side this time round, especially given this government's past-record.

But all that is sort of secondary to the main issue, which is/always will be whilst this thing is circulating in whatever form it currently takes, the fecking antivaxxers. They've been the idiots largely filling hospitals with Delta lately, and they'll be the idiots that tip the NHS over the edge again too.

Just feck em.

Dante

Average bang
The exact text from the front page is:

As the Government's scientific advisers called for an immediate "curtailment" of indoor mixing to combat the spread of omicron, the Prime Minister was considering a range of potential measures, from new guidance on restricting social contact, to a third national lockdown.

The headline is just Torygraph clickbaiting - it sounds like all options are still on the table.

But knowing Boris' track record, he won't lockdown before the 25th. I think a circuit breaker the following week is most likely.

Johnson will want to give businesses the chance to cash in on January sales, so a full lockdown is unlikely.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yes I was talking about the U.K. around the time east and some Western European countries started putting in restrictions a month or 2 ago. I noticed more talk here about a hard winter, things being on a knife edge, the need for plan B etc. This was before Omicron.
Where are you going with this? It sounds intriguingly mental.

LARulz

Is there any real benefit to Germany doing this 2 week quarantine? Feels a bit silly and who else got added to their red list?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
What was the gist?
Ah sorry. It must be a locked account.

Just a silly joke tweet from one of the maths mob on there, it just amused me at the time. I'll delete the post.
"It's amazing how each new COVID variant seems worse than the last, but you knuckle down and gradually get to tolerate it, before the next one comes along and is so bad you almost find yourself longing for the previous one. I've only ever previously had that with Westlife singles."

Where are you going with this? It sounds intriguingly mental.
intriguingly mental what you find mental. I’m just mentioning a previous post were I asked if people thought we’d go into lockdown. Is thoughtful observation based on what was happening in Europe and what our scientists were saying mental?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
intriguingly mental what you find mental. I’m just mentioning a previous post were I asked if people thought we’d go into lockdown. Is thoughtful observation based on what was happening in Europe and what our scientists were saying mental?
It is if you’re intent on ignoring the role that omicron is playing in what’s happening right now.

Seriously, though. Enough rhetorical questions. What’s your point? What are you suggesting?