SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Anustart89

Also seems like the hospital turnover is a lot quicker, at least for those not in ICU. One of the main problems in our ICU in previous waves was that once someone got admitted we knew they’d be occupying a bed for at least two weeks.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Anyone know what the “release criteria” is for people in self-imposed isolation?

3rd day for the mother-in-law on the antigen kits showing positive. She reckons it’s coming up on her 10th day since catching it (so she thinks)

Bosws87

Anyone know what the “release criteria” is for people in self-imposed isolation?

3rd day for the mother-in-law on the antigen kits showing positive. She reckons it’s coming up on her 10th day since catching it (so she thinks)
Heard its infinite for mother-in-laws.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Feels like a good opportunity to make a number up like… two months?

golden_blunder

Staff
In Ireland it looks like 10 days from symptom onset (and I guess from first positive test if asymptomatic). How is she doing?
She’s got a mild cough and pretty much ok apart from that. So she tells us anyway! Though she did let the cat out of the bag last night about feeling unwell before she flew but assumed she was ok because her PCR was negative

arnie_ni

there's an incubation period of 5/6 days
Should that not still be caught by a pcr though? I'm totally new to this so maybe that's a stupid question, but I thought the pcr should pick it up at all though

Tarrou

Should that not still be caught by a pcr though? I'm totally new to this so maybe that's a stupid question, but I thought the pcr should pick it up at all though
yeah it picks it up sooner I think, but there's still a period where you have it and it won't pick it up

edit: I'm an idiot and don't know anything so please don't take anything I say as a trusted source

arnie_ni

yeah it picks it up sooner I think, but there's still a period where you have it and it won't pick it up

edit: I'm an idiot and don't know anything so please don't take anything I say as a trusted source
I've another pcr booked for tomorrow for confirmation but all 4 lateral flows today have been positive

arnie_ni

How does that happen ?

Hopefully you'll be OK.
It's fecking annoying because once the pcr came back negative plus the 4 lateral flows over Thursday Friday, my parents said come on up, so I was home from last night with parents and brother.

Then just done another test to be sure to be sure this morning and it was positive so now those 3 plus the wife are all close contacts.

arnie_ni

She’s got a mild cough and pretty much ok apart from that. So she tells us anyway! Though she did let the cat out of the bag last night about feeling unwell before she flew but assumed she was ok because her PCR was negative
I'm in the same boat as her. Felt a bit lethargic yesterday but pcr and 4 lateral flows said no so I carried on

arnie_ni

Couple of positive mates that still live at home are moving into a married friends house who are also positive.

Isolation houses, good idea.

choccy77

Monday Boris will make his next decision...... Which party shall I deny going to.... I mean Further restrictions yes or no.

It's going to be close.

It's seems regardless, the Government are going against science recommendations and I'd expect them to do the same again.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Jojojo’s post on that (below) with the FT graphic as a reference point is good. Basically the LFTs and PCR’s both give negative results in the pre-infectious period, and that’s not a design flaw it’s just a result of the way the virus infects us.

There’s very little infectious material to detect for 3-4 days, then it grows exponentially. So while the PCR test is more sensitive and can detect it at an earlier stage, it’s not much earlier due to that growth curve. it varies a bit but the rough estimate is that a PCR test can identify you on day 3 while an LFT test can identify you on day 4.

So an LFT test today is more useful than a PCR test two days ago, particularly for people without symptoms / people who are in the pre-infectious period.

Because we've had a lot of talk about tests recently a couple of observations.

With infection rates high, the odds of a LFT giving a false positive are lower than the odds of a PCR test giving a false negative. If the LFT says you're infected and the PCR says you aren't, you need to be suspicious - at least do another LFT test to make sure.

A PCR done one morning can be too early to pick up an infection that's visible on LFT the next day. A negative PCR done two days ago is basically useless today. PCRs can see a lower viral load, which means they can pick up an infection maybe a day earlier than a LFT and they may continue to give a positive result for days (or weeks) after the LFT goes back to seeing negatives again - in general though those late PCR positives are seeing dead viral material not the infectious kind. The early PCR positives are obviously useful though, and PCRs can pick up asymptomatic cases that LFTS miss - provided you get the timing right.

The FT did a graphic based on the data:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whilst this new variant of Covid is moving around in england - is the more deadly version of Covid going around too?

Traub

Whilst this new variant of Covid is moving around in england - is the more deadly version of Covid going around too?
Yes you can still get Delta, but would be incredibly unlucky to given how much more contagious omicron is.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Did a lateral flow test. Its faint but I'm positive. PCR test book for today. Dammit.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Did a lateral flow test. Its faint but I'm positive. PCR test book for today. Dammit.
Mind me asking, why'd you need a pcr test? As far as I know, false positive results are very rare, even with at home testing kits. Why risk infecting others/worsen your condition by going outside? Is there some kind of law or other necessity, why you'd need a pcr result?
Hope you're fine and it's mild.

Tarrou

Mind me asking, why'd you need a pcr test? As far as I know, false positive results are very rare, even with at home testing kits. Why risk infecting others/worsen your condition by going outside? Is there some kind of law or other necessity, why you'd need a pcr result?
I thought this the other day when I had a positive LFT, but all the guidelines online said to get a PCR so I went and did one

They must ask people so they can track it all properly

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I was told to get a PCR test but I understand the issue. Personally, as I seem to have it ,I might aswell isolate now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
PCR tests allows for the collection of important data.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
There's a concern that when infection rates are low that false positives can be a significant proportion of LFT positives. That's important if you're doing routine tests - some people do them more or less daily for work, school students do them a couple of times per week. As the positive test means you should isolate, and potentially your contacts will have to as well, being able to correct a false positive a day or so later with a PCR is useful.

With high case rates the false positives become a rarity among the real positives. For people using them as a safety check before meeting family or going to events at the moment - the positive is not only almost always true, it's going to protect other people immediately.

Unfortunately other things are still linked to PCR tests as well. Additional medical support for the clinically vulnerable, some of the sick pay/isolation pay rules.

In time we'll probably stop the automatic PCR double check in favour of an additional LFT double check, but it's taken time for the medical establishment to come round to that view. Just because something is supposed to be the "gold standard" doesn't mean it's always the most relevant or useful one.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Couple of reasons. To help track where cases are in the country, as well as contact tracing (in countries which are still attempting some degree of contact tracing), to sequence the variant and to confirm the diagnosis 100%, especially relevant I guess for people who might lose out financially if they had to isolate.

You're right though that false positives are very rare and, considering the fact the UK does such a huge number of tests, its potentially one of the things that we can think about scaling back slightly in the future if need be.

Hope you guys testing positive are all OK.

dal

Hopefully deaths won’t be so bad from Omicron, I just hope with so many infections that many people do not get a bad form of long covid, as the serious cases of these seem a bit hellish.

arnie_ni

Jojojo’s post on that (below) with the FT graphic as a reference point is good. Basically the LFTs and PCR’s both give negative results in the pre-infectious period, and that’s not a design flaw it’s just a result of the way the virus infects us.

There’s very little infectious material to detect for 3-4 days, then it grows exponentially. So while the PCR test is more sensitive and can detect it at an earlier stage, it’s not much earlier due to that growth curve. it varies a bit but the rough estimate is that a PCR test can identify you on day 3 while an LFT test can identify you on day 4.

So an LFT test today is more useful than a PCR test two days ago, particularly for people without symptoms / people who are in the pre-infectious period.
Thanks for this.

arnie_ni

Will I had 4 negative lft Thursday and Friday then 4 positive on Saturday so I booked a 2nd pcr today to make sure.

A colleague at work (where I picked it up) went the other direction, 2 positive yesterday after she done them once me and another member said we had positive tests, but she done 2 more this morning and they were negative. She's also booking a pcr.

They clearly aren't full proof.

arnie_ni

Yeah shit one fella. I guess the only way to be absolutely sure is if you feel unwell don’t take the risk
I let the family make the decision and they said there were all jabbed and boostered, that along with negative pcr, they said come on ahead but mask up and they had windows all open etc etc so hopefully they are OK.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Covid is ripping through my home town now with everyone dropping with it. The trouble is, a significant number of people have been coming out while feeling unwell. They have been shopping, drinking in the pubs all night, partying etc.. Some have openly said they thought or knew they had it but.didnt care and weren't isolating with a cold. Many others just kept quiet about it until they felt better.

Just now one of my regular customers who spends all day stood at the bar said he thinks he had it a couple of weeks ago and he hadn't been doing tests when he told us all he had. I had to close my pub as half my family and staff went down with it that week and he spent the entire week I'm the pub. Closing cost me thousands, and my family holiday to Lapland, Bi Bailey and a trip to OT etc... Plus the huge worry of making someone else sick.

It's the first time I've banned someone on Boxing day. I absolutely lost my shit.

I'm fecking furious.

#Rant over.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Covid is ripping through my home town now with everyone dropping with it. The trouble is, a significant number of people have been coming out while feeling unwell. They have been shopping, drinking in the pubs all night, partying etc.. Some have openly said they thought or knew they had it but.didnt care and weren't isolating with a cold. Many others just kept quiet about it until they felt better.

Just now one of my regular customers who spends all day stood at the bar said he thinks he had it a couple of weeks ago and he hadn't been doing tests when he told us all he had. I had to close my pub as half my family and staff went down with it that week and he spent the entire week I'm the pub. Closing cost me thousands, and my family holiday to Lapland, Bi Bailey and a trip to OT etc... Plus the huge worry of making someone else sick.

It's the first time I've banned someone on Boxing day. I absolutely lost my shit.

I'm fecking furious.

#Rant over.
Sorry to hear that. Do you mean they have been tested positive?

golden_blunder

Staff

I'm fecking furious.

#Rant over.
There’s a lot of everyone out for themselves now. When you’ve got images of the government having parties last year when everyone else is locked down it’s no surprise people are doing whatever they want. It is quite selfish though with no thought to others, like in your example where the guy just wanted the beer all week in the Christmas atmosphere but ended up infecting half the staff.
I can’t wait for this to be over, I feel myself turning bitter and angry before I’m 50

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Monday Boris will make his next decision...... Which party shall I deny going to.... I mean Further restrictions yes or no.
Generally speaking, BoJo is not a great actor: when he talks about Covid, you can see he does not believe in what he advocates.

It's seems regardless, the Government are going against science recommendations and I'd expect them to do the same again.
Science recommendations is a form of wording that does not make any sense because the scientific communauty is very divided, and because most Covid measures/restrictions are mainly political and business-related.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
There’s a lot of everyone out for themselves now. When you’ve got images of the government having parties last year when everyone else is locked down it’s no surprise people are doing whatever they want. It is quite selfish though with no thought to others, like in your example where the guy just wanted the beer all week in the Christmas atmosphere but ended up infecting half the staff.
I can’t wait for this to be over, I feel myself turning bitter and angry before I’m 50
Our cio sent a message encouraging people to go to Germany for fun if their mental health was suffering, I responded bluntly and it was the whole company that could read it