SAS Unit repeatedly killed Afghan Detainees

Vitro

The men should obviously be castigated, charged and held as an example. Likely they won’t be.

However this is guaranteed to happen in any war, and anyone condoning a war should know they will be condoning the rape and murder of innocents. It’s just inevitable. It’s a crime you can predict with 100% certainty will occur. Those in the decision making process for a war hold responsibility for the inevitable crimes that will be committed if that war is to go ahead.

There are photos of civilians in civilian clothing making Molotov cocktails, there are photos of civilians in civilian clothing being giving riffles (no uniforms in site)

In March Zelenskyy passed a law allowing civilians to use guns to defend the country.

You haven’t really thought this out have you. Of course normal Ukrainians will fight back, it’s their country that has been attacked. Same thing happened I’m Iraq, same thing would happen anywhere.
They are giving them uniforms. I actually know civilians who have signed up.

Anyway, enough with the whataboutism. It's a totally different war.

DeGea’sFeet

They are giving them uniforms. I actually know civilians who have signed up.

Anyway, enough with the whataboutism. It's a totally different war.
So every civilian who was given a riffle and made Molotov’s signed up to the army and was given a uniform ? No, the two were not contingent on each other. As the articles and the law in March makes obvious.

“Whataboutism” Vs “it’s different”
You’re neighbours constantly play loud music, every night of every day, the one day you have little party the police are at your door? How would “that’s different” go down with you?

You’re doing 80mph in a 70mph zone, got taken over by 5 cars but the police car behind you pulls you over. How would “that’s different” go down with you?

You walk into a Costa, every gets charged £3.40 for a coffee, you get charged £5, how would “that’s different” go down with you?

You walk into a restaurant everyone gets their order taken within 5 minutes and served within 20 minutes.. you’re still there waiting after 1 hour. How would “that’s different” go down with you.

Whataboutism is actually a perfect measure. it’s one people use everyday for everything in life. “That’s different” is the excuse of the hypocrites and those who think “all are equal but we’re more equal than others” but can’t admit that’s how they think and view the world.

Last edited:

MTF

The men should obviously be castigated, charged and held as an example. Likely they won’t be.

However this is guaranteed to happen in any war, and anyone condoning a war should know they will be condoning the rape and murder of innocents. It’s just inevitable. It’s a crime you can predict with 100% certainty will occur. Those in the decision making process for a war hold responsibility for the inevitable crimes that will be committed if that war is to go ahead.
I agree. I find that this quote from Nuremberg judgement sums it up well: "To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole."

Vitro

I agree. I find that this quote from Nuremberg judgement sums it up well: "To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole."
Great quote.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
"Whataboutism" was almost specifically coined for Trump's tactic of debating issues.

Now every time you try to use an analogy to point hipocrisy you have to hear that word.

It's like PC. When these terms reach the average citizen they lose their meaning.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
"Whataboutism" was almost specifically coined for Trump's tactic of debating issues.

Now every time you try to use an analogy to point hipocrisy you have to hear that word.

It's like PC. When these terms reach the average citizen they lose their meaning.
Such a stupid phrase. Basically it's whole purpose is to deflect accusations of hypocrisy from it's wielder.

DeGea’sFeet

Such a stupid phrase. Basically it's whole purpose is to deflect accusations of hypocrisy from it's wielder.
Exactly… almost as if those who reply “Whataboutism” and “that’s different” live in a world where they ignore all norms and standards whether it’s in their behaviour or the behaviour of others to them.

But maybe @11101 isn’t a hypocrite maybe if he doesn’t get his mail delivered for 3 months while all his neighbours are receiving theirs on time… he won’t complain and certainly won’t mention about his neighbours getting theirs on time because he will know doing that would be “Whataboutism” & his mail “is different”

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
They're supposed to kill or capture the targets but there are others there who aren't on the list. If they can't bring them back for whatever reason, the choice is let them loose to fight again the next night, or...

That's why these things have happened before and I'm sure it's the same this time.
I’m not sure what you’re saying exactly.

Murdering people in cold blood that you think might want to kill you next time - despite having no weapons in the place you’ve found them, and just murdered them - is an acceptable thing? Or we should just accept that people in difficult situations are going to commit war crimes, and not hold them accountable for it?

Other than just waving off the accusations altogether, I don’t see how there’s a middle ground here. The facts are fairly simple.

DeGea’sFeet

Agreed. A pity Al-Qaeda didn't bother reading up on Nuremberg.
This is the problem any middle easterner killed is easily passed off as a terrorist, even when they were civilians.

Another problem. Not all combatants who resisted the US led invasion of Iraq were actually AQ or had any intention of attacking the US mainland, they were just defending their country. But it was very easy for the media to hijack the memory of 9/11 and make people believe that everyone engaging in their right to resist invasion and occupation was a terrorist who was planning on attacking the USA.

It’s actually very similar to what Russia is doing now. They say every Ukrainian that resists is a Nazi. With Azov being the most known battalion and the previous history of white supremacist going to train in the Ukraine its not a hard spin to pull with enough news time. If it was us or the USA invading the Ukraine we’d use the same motive and our media would have most people believe it.

It’s natural that many Ukrainians who want to fight will join them, but that doesn’t mean all or most share Avov’s ideology.

The main difference, I suppose, is AQ didn’t exist in Iraq until after the USA invaded. The people were already in disorganised groups fighting the invasion after the army got defeated. Then after a while AQ opened up shop and took over the insurgency, then it splintered off from the main branch into what would 8 years become IS.

The invasion of Iraq is truly one of the biggest acts of terror to have ever taken place, it’s then spawned even more terror.

The invasion of Ukraine is also one of the biggest acts of terror to have ever taken place.. we shouldn’t sleep on what comes out of there next. As we’ve seen lies and exaggerations often wish things into existence.

Foxbatt

This is the problem any middle easterner killed is easily passed off as a terrorist, even when they were civilians.

Another problem. Not all combatants who resisted the US led invasion of Iraq were actually AQ or had any intention of attacking the US mainland, they were just defending their country. But it was very easy for the media to hijack the memory of 9/11 and make people believe that everyone engaging in their right to resist invasion and occupation was a terrorist who was planning on attacking the USA.

It’s actually very similar to what Russia is doing now. They say every Ukrainian that resists is a Nazi. With Azov being the most known battalion and the previous history of white supremacist going to train in the Ukraine its not a hard spin to pull with enough news time. If it was us or the USA invading the Ukraine we’d use the same motive and our media would have most people believe it.

It’s natural that many Ukrainians who want to fight will join them, but that doesn’t mean all or most share Avov’s ideology.

The main difference, I suppose, is AQ didn’t exist in Iraq until after the USA invaded. The people were already in disorganised groups fighting the invasion after the army got defeated. Then after a while AQ opened up shop and took over the insurgency, then it splintered off from the main branch into what would 8 years become IS.

The invasion of Iraq is truly one of the biggest acts of terror to have ever taken place, it’s then spawned even more terror.

The invasion of Ukraine is also one of the biggest acts of terror to have ever taken place.. we shouldn’t sleep on what comes out of there next. As we’ve seen lies and exaggerations often wish things into existence.
Sensible post. To the Russians every Ukrainian who fights against them is a Nazi. To the Americans every Iraqi or Afghani who fought against them was a terrorist. Now I wonder who invaded whom in this case? Certainly the Iraqis did not invade the USA and has got nothing to do with 9-11.

DeGea’sFeet

Sensible post. To the Russians every Ukrainian who fights against them is a Nazi. To the Americans every Iraqi or Afghani who fought against them was a terrorist. Now I wonder who invaded whom in this case? Certainly the Iraqis did not invade the USA and has got nothing to do with 9-11.
Definitely the Bush administration exploited the national fervour after 9/11 to invade an oil rich country whose dictator wasn’t subservient to the USA.

If there was a clear genuine moral motive, even one that turned out to be wrong then the motive would not have changed so many times in the buildup and aftermath of the invasion.

Just a refresher for those too young or who have forgotten. It went like this.

Saddam was involved in 9/11, actually he wasn’t involved in 9/11 but he harbours AQ, actually he doesn’t harbour AQ but he has WMD’s… actually he doesn’t have WMD’s but we went there to give them democracy..

Democracy, is a political ideology, I remind people that by the UN’s own definition. Spreading political or religious ideologies through threats, intimidation or violence is terrorism and armed resistance to invasion and occupation is lawful.

Foxbatt

Definitely the Bush administration exploited the national fervour after 9/11 to invade an oil rich country whose dictator wasn’t subservient to the USA.

If there was a clear genuine moral motive, even one that turned out to be wrong then the motive would not have changed so many times in the buildup and aftermath of the invasion.

Just a refresher for those too young or who have forgotten. It went like this.

Saddam was involved in 9/11, actually he wasn’t involved in 9/11 but he harbours AQ, actually he doesn’t harbour AQ but he has WMD’s… actually he doesn’t have WMD’s but we went there to give them democracy..

Democracy, is a political ideology, I remind people that by the UN’s own definition. Spreading political or religious ideologies through threats, intimidation or violence is terrorism and armed resistance to invasion and occupation is lawful.
This is what I do not get. We all support the Ukrainians who are fighting against a foreign invasion. Yes the same people who support the Ukrainians were the same people who were dead against the Iraqis and the Afghanis who fought the foreign invaders of their countries.

DeGea’sFeet

This is what I do not get. We all support the Ukrainians who are fighting against a foreign invasion. Yes the same people who support the Ukrainians were the same people who were dead against the Iraqis and the Afghanis who fought the foreign invaders of their countries.
Government rhetoric, reinforced by the media. Also the US invasion of Iraq wasn’t reported anywhere near as openly as Russia Ukraine is. Which is understandable it’s in national interest. But even then it astounded how little people questioned things that didn’t add up.

Literally there was no mention of civilian deaths caused by the USA/coalition (for a long time) , and you definitely didn’t get the whole journalist going out speaking to people asking them about how many people they lost that week.

You got journalist tagging along with a selected American battalion filming the soldier giving kids candy etc when the Russians do that we call it a word beginning with “ p “

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So the military review into this is only into the way it was handled and not the killings themselves, which have been thrown out for lack of sufficient evidence to prosecute.

Harks back to my original comment: This will be pushed under the rug as always due to the nationalist pride that Brits must show to their armed forces.

stevoc

Has a British Soldier ever been prosecuted for murdering/killing someone while on duty?