Saudi sports minister gives update on buying club from Glazers

Kappa123

As long as United can start challenging for trophies and titles again I couldn't care less. As some posters have rightfully pointed out; rich people are all awful, governments and corporations are all evil and that's just how it is. That's the way the world fecking works, so who cares as long as we're entertained...

matt10000

I wouldn’t study British history if I were one of the many on here fixating on Saudi atrocities.
British history is history.
House of Saud is now.
Oh is it? Damn, my fault. I forgot we the British haven’t been in a war for centuries...

Tagging along with the US to Iraq was just an excursion to buy some duty free fuel I suppose.
You have made some good points and I get where you are coming from. The Iraq war was questionable and the justification that we the British people were given by the Government turned out to be false (whether that be due to poor intelligence or as many suspect exaggeration/lies). We know this because our free press are allowed to investigate, scrutinise, criticise and report their findings and opinions without fear of being imprisoned or executed. The British press did this and many British citizens protested publicly against the British Government in front of the world press and cameras again without fear of being imprisoned or executed. The British people then voted the Government out of office in the general election.

This is the fundamental difference. We may have governments that do bad things and make bad decisions BUT we are allowed to express our opinions, report, protest and have the opportunity to vote them out of office every five years. The House of Saudi has been in power unchallenged and unaccountable for decades (1902?)

My comment British history is history and House Of Saudi is now refers to the fact that If you look at British history then Britain has in the past persecuted, imprisoned and executed their own citizens for merely expressing freedom of thought much like the House Of Saudi do today. So yes if you look at history then some of our regimes have been no better than the House of Saudi today. If you look at the here and now today, we are far from perfect BUT the differences highlighted above are fundamental to the way in which governments are put together and held to account.

For the record I would not like Man Utd to be owned by any state whether that be what we consider a form of democracy UK, USA, Australia..... or the likes of House Of Saudi, North Korea......

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Saudi Arabia and its crimes and lack of democracy and lack of human rights wouldn't exist and wouldn't be as rich to buy football clubs if it weren't for the West.

It's called sportwashing when it is football, but everywhere else it's "investment in business". So when boycotting United because of Saudi Arabia then also stop banking, buying petrol, using the NHS, supporting our arms purchases, stop watching F1.... the list goes on, from washing machines to tech start-ups, the Saudi's already "invest" in the UK.

Why is it different for footbalkl clubs? I guess it is down to tribalism or money not being the dominant force it is everywhere else. I dont know but there's a lot of hypocracy around it all.

matt10000

Saudi Arabia and its crimes and lack of democracy and lack of human rights wouldn't exist and wouldn't be as rich to buy football clubs if it weren't for the West.

It's called sportwashing when it is football, but everywhere else it's "investment in business". So when boycotting United because of Saudi Arabia then also stop banking, buying petrol, using the NHS, supporting our arms purchases, stop watching F1.... the list goes on, from washing machines to tech start-ups, the Saudi's already "invest" in the UK.

Why is it different for footbalkl clubs? I guess it is down to tribalism or money not being the dominant force it is everywhere else. I dont know but there's a lot of hypocracy around it all.
The list goes on........maybe to some of us football is an escape from this list and we are proud of the great history of our club and don’t want it tarnished.

wolvored

In the context of this thread this is whataboutery at its finest. You can't have an opinion on these potential owners unless you also compare Saudi Arabia to every other country in the world?

No other government are rumoured to be taking over so it doesn't come into it.

If any other potential owner had ordered the execution of a journalist like that it would have been enough for me, before we get into the rest of it.

If you wish to discuss the good and bad things various countries do and rank them against each by all means go start a thread on that but it's not relevant to this one.
Well said. I was going to say similar, but you covered it all.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
The list goes on........maybe to some of us football is an escape from this list and we are proud of the great history of our club and don’t want it tarnished.
OK I can see that.

It's a bit romantic though isn't it? I mean if it ultimately means United fall behind other clubs taking up the investment.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
OK I can see that.

It's a bit romantic though isn't it? I mean if it ultimately means United fall behind other clubs taking up the investment.
Liverpool shows we don't have too

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
As long as United can start challenging for trophies and titles again I couldn't care less. As some posters have rightfully pointed out; rich people are all awful, governments and corporations are all evil and that's just how it is. That's the way the world fecking works, so who cares as long as we're entertained...
They're not.

alanjohnson

bit late for that. United were going to Saudi to play friendlies and hang with their royalty, under Sir Alex Ferguson.

matt10000

OK I can see that.

It’s not something that my mrs has ever accused me of but yes it is a bit romantic but then so is football. At the end of the day though it is not up to me to say the House of Saud can’t but us, that is up to the Glazers and authorities that decide who is fit and proper to own a football club.

All I can do is express mu disapproval

stevoc

You are looking at this from the wrong angle, people who make the argument that I'm making are simply pointing out that it's rich for anybody to form that opinion and judge the Saudi's when they simultaneously turn a blind eye to the many many atrocities their own governments make, or happily purchase Apple products, designer clothes, petrol ffs.
Who says that they do?

You don't know and thats why its a bullshit argument from the get go mate. If you think about it objectively these threads are about the Saudi government potentially taking over United, no other governments. And yet other governments, two in particular are continually discussed. What other governments have done and are doing is irrelevant to this discussion.

RUCK4444

Who says that they do?

You don't know and thats why its a bullshit argument from the get go mate. If you think about it objectively these threads are about the Saudi government potentially taking over United, no other governments. And yet other governments, two in particular are continually discussed. What other governments have done and are doing is irrelevant to this discussion.
Yes I agree, it’s irrelevant in regard to the Saudi’s actually buying the club but your still missing my point.

It should not be irrelevant when people form their opinion of Saudi Arabia based solely on their wrongdoings and ignore far worse from a lot closer to home, out of convenience.

If the people here who say they will abandon the club after a lifetime of support etc don’t have equal, or even greater, concerns and anger towards our own governments wrongdoing then why does it only apply to Saudi.

I’ll tell you why, It’s only because it’s our club involved, otherwise the same people wouldn’t remotely care what goes on in Saudi.

Anybody who feels that strongly that it’s effectively evoking some sort of noble martyrdom within them should be protesting in the street about what our own governments still do. That’s if they have any sort of balanced ethical principles.

Do you not see how hypocritical it is?

matt10000

I’ll tell you why, It’s only because it’s our club involved, otherwise the same people wouldn’t remotely care what goes on in Saudi.
Thank you for speaking on my behalf but actually I keep up with current affairs and cared about what goes on in Saudi before they showed an interest in us.

decorativeed

Yes I agree, it’s irrelevant in regard to the Saudi’s actually buying the club but your still missing my point.

It should not be irrelevant when people form their opinion of Saudi Arabia based solely on their wrongdoings and ignore far worse from a lot closer to home, out of convenience.

If the people here who say they will abandon the club after a lifetime of support etc don’t have equal, or even greater, concerns and anger towards our own governments wrongdoing then why does it only apply to Saudi.

Anybody who feels that strongly that it’s effectively evoking some sort of noble martyrdom within them should be protesting in the street about what our own governments still do. That’s if they have any sort of balanced ethical principles.

Do you not see how hypocritical it is?
Do you not see the numerous false equivalences in your post?

As has been said time and again in here, we're not dealing with the UK government, or monarchy, or indeed the people in the White House buying the club, that's why we're not complaining about them. And that's all we're doing in here - complaining. We have every right to make our feelings known about the possibility of Saudi royals buying United on a football forum without being compelled to paint banners and go down to picket Downing Street about foreign policy. We can criticise that in here too, and often do!

Last I checked, the government weren't looking likely to buy us out. Neither are they looking likely to execute people for dissent or lock up their rivals.

stevoc

I understand the point you are trying to make mate but as i and others have been trying to tell you it's irrelevant to this thread. And that is the point you seem to be continually missing. Because this thread is about the Saudi royal family/government potentially buying United, not any other governments.

Those are some more big assumptions on your part, you have no idea what any particular person is or isn't ignoring, and even if you did it would still be irrelevant to this thread.
Because this thread is about the Saudi royal family/government potentially buying United, not any other governments.

They may have grave concerns about the actions of other governments but i imagine they wouldn't be expressing those concerns in this thread. Because this thread is about the Saudi royal family/government potentially buying United, not any other governments.

Who knows what people on here are or are not doing with regards to protesting their own governments, you certainly don't. But if they are they probably wouldn't be discussing it in this thread. Because you guessed it this thread is about the Saudi royal family/government potentially buying United, not any other governments.

feck me, they obviously care about what the Saudi government are doing in Saudi Arabia, if they didn't care then they wouldn't have any fecking objection to the Saudis taking over would they.

RUCK4444

I understand the point you are trying to make mate but as i and others have been trying to tell you it's irrelevant to this thread. And that is the point you seem to be continually missing. Because this thread is about the Saudi royal family/government potentially buying United, not any other governments.
OK you guys win, I give up trying to make a balanced observation about how people form their opinion on Saudi Arabia.

After all the stumbling block here is people’s disgust at the idea they could own the club, but questioning the moral basis of that opinion isn’t relative to a thread about exactly that issue :lol::houllier:

I suppose we should all go back to ignoring the morally wrong things that don't really affect us in day to day life and only single out and complain about those that are relevant to this thread.

You should never be scared to ask yourself why, or indeed let others shout you down when you do.

stevoc

OK you guys win, I give up trying to make a balanced observation about how people form their opinion on Saudi Arabia.

After all the stumbling block here is people’s disgust at the idea they could own the club, but questioning the moral basis of that opinion isn’t relative to a thread about exactly that issue :lol::houllier:

I suppose we should all go back to ignoring the morally wrong things that don't really affect us in day to day life and only single out and complain about those that are relevant to this thread.

You should never be scared to ask yourself why, or indeed let others shout you down when you do.
Yeah sure if thats what you want to call spouting unnecessary whataboutisms and accusing people of being hypocrites.

Can't say i remember the same 'balanced observations' being made in other Saudi based threads like the Khashoggi and Yemen threads for example where they also get criticised.

RUCK4444

Yeah sure if thats what you want to call spouting unnecessary whataboutisms and accusing people of being hypocrites.

Can't say i remember the same 'balanced observations' being made in other Saudi based threads like the Khashoggi and Yemen threads for example where they also get criticised.
Yeah it’s fine. I get it, atrocities matter when your football club is involved, ones we can actually effect closer to home aren’t welcome in the discussion.

It’s a noble and morally sound outlook ;)

stevoc

Yeah it’s fine. I get it, atrocities matter when your football club is involved, ones we can actually effect closer to home aren’t welcome in the discussion.

It’s a noble and morally sound outlook ;)
In this discussion not really no, most atrocities will have their own threads though and i look forward to seeing you there. Here's a tip they'll most likely be in the current events forum not the football forum.

I knew you would get there eventually mate. ;)

RUCK4444

In this discussion not really no, most atrocities will have their own threads though and i look forward to seeing you there. Here's a tip they'll most likely be in the current events forum not the football forum.

I knew you would get there eventually mate. ;)
Damn I'm still only one like down on being able to post in the general forum, otherwise I would most definitely be there, and after our chat I am positive I would find each and every super-moral poster who profess that they will abandon the club should the Saudi's takeover.

Ironically the fact I would likely not find hardly any of them in there sort of proves my point in a nutshell.

stevoc

Damn I'm still only one like down on being able to post in the general forum, otherwise I would most definitely be there, and after our chat I am positive I would find each and every super-moral poster who profess that they will abandon the club should the Saudi's takeover.

Ironically the fact I would likely not find hardly any of them in there sort of proves my point in a nutshell.
Well you are very unlikely to find people in threads in the current events forum discussing the potential takeover of a football club mate. Shame the opposite isn't true.

Which proves my point in a nutshell. ;)

Steve Bruce

Can we split this thread. 1 for any updates of a potential takeover & another to discuss the morality of it all.

I see this thread being bumped & it's just the same morality issues & counter arguments being made over & over again

red thru&thru

Can we split this thread. 1 for any updates of a potential takeover & another to discuss the morality of it all.

I see this thread being bumped & it's just the same morality issues & counter arguments being made over & over again
This.

Personally, I believe we will tie up a sponsorship with Aramco soon.

No eye dear

Pointless anyway, won't happen,on a cheery note, they aren't going to win their trophy this year, scouse bastards