Saudi sports minister gives update on buying club from Glazers

soapythecat

What are people going to do when they realise the Saudi’s aren’t actually going to buy us and it’s nothing but lazy journalism/rumours.
It will be recycled every time we have a poor result between now and forever. Another good PR push from the club to ensure we keep some positivity about things to get better.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Doesn’t matter who because it’s been under the watch of whoever is in office who doesn’t have an agenda to stop it. The point is that our profits are making its way to putting people like that into office who allow or even mandate such disgusting actions.

wolvored

Phoney Tony who claimed to be a Newcastle fan when it was allegedly everyones second favourite team. I remember him harping on about it in one of his excruciating QandA sessions with some kids and I was dying for one of them to ask him to name the first eleven so I could watch him panicking with his earpiece
It was Louis Edwards.

Martin was / is his halfwit ( and slightly oversexed ) son.

Great times....
Yep. Louis was the butcher and Martin just wanted to make a quick buck. Remember 89 when he tried to sell to Michael Knighton? We should have let Sky buy it in 2000 was it? We wouldnt be in this mess now.

Full bodied red

Yep. Louis was the butcher and Martin just wanted to make a quick buck. Remember 89 when he tried to sell to Michael Knighton? We should have let Sky buy it in 2000 was it? We wouldnt be in this mess now.

Apologies for the ' correction '

Yes....I remember Knighton coming on to the pitch pre-match ( was it the opening match of the season ? ) and doing keepy-uppies in front of the Stretford End.

Didn't Edwards agree to sell to him for something like £ 20 million? Imagine that....£ 20 million, and in our lifetime. I think in the end he couldn't raise the cash so he bought Carlisle instead !!

I don't remember which year was the Sky thing, 2000 sounds about right, although I'm not too ashamed to admit that I had some shares ( ( 50 x £1 shares ) which my GF at the time had bought me for a Christmas Present when she saw them listed in the Small Ads in the MEN and bought them so I could put the share certificate in a picture frame on my bedroom wall as a symbolic gesture, in the very early 70s but which were really worthless. Just symbolic.

Then came the plc thing, and then the Sky thing, and the 50 shares had quickly became about 1,700 shares with mutiple scrip issues and rights issues, and I eventually sold them to the Glazers for about £ 3,000.

Filthy capitalist !! Qui ?? Moi ??

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
With revenues of £600m+, and having a wage bill of roughly 45%, and without the Glaziers taking their huge dividend, what other expenditures does the club have for us to not have £250m available per season.
Here is the 2019 Annual Report for United:
https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/documents/2019-mu-plc-form-20-f.pdf

Scroll to the cash flow section. Subtracting interest paid, repayments of borrowings and dividends paid adds about £120m to the cash flow over 3 years. Not even factoring the additional salary for more players, for the amount spent on transfers to increase to £250m annually there would need to be an increase of £220 over 3 years. That would have the club breaking even (assuming the club makes the same £110m over 3 years), without accounting for the additional salary or the potential of not making the CL two of the three years. I'm no accountant but I don't think having close to zero cash flow is realistic or healthy for the club. If not, the Saudis would need likely need to inject cash in the club.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why has this thread grown so much today?

Any actual update or just nothing else to talk about now transfers are done and there’s no game for 2 weeks?
Was going to ask the same thing. Let's either change the thread title or stop this random bickering which can be taken elsewhere.

Fridge chutney

Do you mean the same government that murdered a journalist for criticizing the government? Many see these plans as nothing but PR for the rest of the world. It's not about transforming themselves. It's about having a PR vehicle, which is what United would be.

United benefits monetarily but will be forever known as a plastic, oil-backed club sponsored by an oppressive regime no matter how much everyone wants to deny it.
Excellent post and the cold, harsh truth.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
91% of United fans that Sun asked, want MBS. Why can't we get such a poll in this thread?
Stretford Paddock did something similar and the result thus far has been overwhelming in the favour of the Saudis.

Last edited:

mav_9me

I never understood what PR the Sauds are looking for. It is not like the govts and private companies are running away from Saudi money.
Besides I doubt MBS cares a s**t about PR stuff.
Of course he cares. They all do. They all want positive headlines.. Positive coverage etc. Of course this is not the only way to get positive coverage but definitely easy to buy for him.

dabeast

For me this is just an aesthetic choice. I used to love Becks putting a cross on a striker’s head, Giggs’ spaniel-running, Rooney’s precociousness and CR7’s utter brilliance. I loved us coming back from 3 goals down to beat Tottenham, and winning the FA Cup with THAT goal by Giggs.

Since, with the likes of these managers before Ole and with people like Lingard/Pereira running around in midfield, we have become a 4th to 5th placing club but also one that is not very good to watch.

Only dominating clubs can have moments of brilliance which please the soul. Moral certitude is drab and boring as are SJWs (social justice warriors, like some on this thread) and thank God we don’t have them running our once-beautiful club as we try and recreate past beauty.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

Moral certitude is drab and boring as are SJWs (social justice warriors, like some on this thread)
This forum really is scraping the bottom of the barrel when we have posters using terms like "SJW" in serious discourse.

dabeast

This forum really is scraping the bottom of the barrel when we have posters using terms like "SJW" in serious discourse.
On the plus side it's a nice and easy way to know when to ignore someone.
Haha very true, there's always a bright side!
Because aesthetic, functional and other arguments run counter to their thesis, the hallmark of a, well, SJW is to assert a hierarchical position over those who disagree with them.

Good luck inhabiting that lofty position and I hope moral certitude envelops you as in the warm, amniotic fluid of a womb, never allowing you to learn to fend for yourselves.

Fridge chutney

Because aesthetic, functional and other arguments run counter to their thesis, the hallmark of a, well, SJW is to assert a hierarchical position over those who disagree with them.

Good luck inhabiting that lofty position and I hope moral certitude envelops you as in the warm, amniotic fluid of a womb, never allowing you to learn to fend for yourselves.
Hahaha well another positive is the comedy provided by such drivel!

mu4c_20le

For me this is just an aesthetic choice. I used to love Becks putting a cross on a striker’s head, Giggs’ spaniel-running, Rooney’s precocious RSS and CR7’s utter brilliance.
What is RSS? I like how you spelled out SJW but not this one.

dabeast

Hahaha well another positive is the comedy provided by such drivel!
Why does being called a SJW annoy you so? On the face of it, you are a warrior for social justice, what could be wrong with that?

Is it, as many posters on this thread have pointed out, that the moral certitude in being against the Saudis is an inch deep, quickly falling away against the arguments of equivalence made against Western capital-led governments?

Is it that being seen publicly to fight for what you call social justice gives you a sense of significance in the world, not the oblivion we are all destined for?

Or is it, plainly said, just the race of those with the capital?

Whatever it is, I hope this makes you think about that feeling, especially if the brown hordes do happen to take over. As you all say, peace out.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Good luck ever losing that newbie tag with posts of this quality

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Stretford Paddock did something similar and the result thus far has been overwhelming in the favour of the Saudis.

If they wanted to do a poll they would have done an actual poll.

People will always like a post more than people will retweet a post, especially when people are not going to be willing to retweet something that says they support the glazers.

It’s a tactic used by Liverpool fans all the time on Twitter.

Retweet for Ronaldo or Like for Carragher.
211 Retweets
881 Likes

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Are there actual news about this? I am sick of shifting through political/ethical posts

stevoc

Why does being called a SJW annoy you so? On the face of it, you are a warrior for social justice, what could be wrong with that?

Is it, as many posters on this thread have pointed out, that the moral certitude in being against the Saudis is an inch deep, quickly falling away against the arguments of equivalence made against Western capital-led governments?

Is it that being seen publicly to fight for what you call social justice gives you a sense of significance in the world, not the oblivion we are all destined for?

Or is it, plainly said, just the race of those with the capital?

Whatever it is, I hope this makes you think about that feeling, especially if the brown hordes do happen to take over. As you all say, peace out.
Are any of these western governments rumoured to be interested in buying United?

Has anyone in here advocated having a western government buy United?

matt10000

Not being an ass but we’re all arguing over this as if we have any choice in who owns us. Absolutely no chance fans do enough to change that because we’re a $4B club and none of us are going to collectively put up that kind of money especially when there are other things in life more worthy of banding together for. Look at the protests against the Glazers and how absolutely nothing came from that other than some green and gold merch.
Are any of these western governments rumoured to be interested in buying United?

Has anyone in here advocated having a western government buy United?
Exactly, this point has been made but others keep ignoring this fact because they can't think of a better argument.

red thru&thru

Seems like majority of United fans don't care who owns United. The fans at OT can't be arsed to make a statement and the media outlets I've read about whether MBS should own us, they are in favour of it happening.

The people who object to this happening, do they really believe they can stop this happening? Or, do they believe they can bestow their moral standings on people who are in favour of it happening?

matt10000

Seems like majority of United fans don't care who owns United. The fans at OT can't be arsed to make a statement and the media outlets I've read about whether MBS should own us, they are in favour of it happening.

The people who object to this happening, do they really believe they can stop this happening? Or, do they believe they can bestow their moral standings on people who are in favour of it happening?
I haven't read a single post where anyone has said that they believe they can stop this happening just that they don't approve, why they don't approve and how it will impact their relationship with the club.

I haven't read single post where anyone has said that they are convinced that they can bestow their moral standings on others , people are just stating where they stand as an individual.

The fans can be split into various categories:
a. Well aware of MBS record on human rights, executions, murders, imprisonment of protesters, persecution of homosexuals/women, genocide in Yemen
b. Aware that a rich crown prince wants to buy out the Glazers but not know much about his record
c. Not aware of anything

Group a are not going to change their minds, they are well aware of the type or person who wants to run the club and are either for or against
Group b are probably going to be in favour
Group c probably don't care either way.

Group b is where you get people like my brother who was totally in favour until he learnt more about who it was and then changed his mind

No one is trying to bestow their moral standings on others, but people can state their arguments, educate others and let them make their own minds up.

This is what a forum is for discussion and this kind of discussion could get you imprisoned in Saudi.

Denis' cuff

The people who object to this happening, do they really believe they can stop this happening? Or, do they believe take a stance if they knew it was worthwhile they can bestow their moral standings on people who are in favour of it happening?
It’s not that people don’t care or can’t be arsed. There is no way of knowing how many feel one way or the other, probably because different people have different views but nobody knows how the majority feels. That’s why a lot of people do nothing because most need some direction. There’ll be a lot of people who would take a stance if they knew it would be worthwhile and had support but it’s all over the place right now. People need a direction or at least a surety of knowing their feelings will be counted and acted upon, collectively.

obviously, referring to real match goers and not so called fans from Kilkennynallocky, Carolina, California or Kowloon.

red thru&thru

It’s not that people don’t care or can’t be arsed. There is no way of knowing how many feel one way or the other, probably because different people have different views but nobody knows how the majority feels. That’s why a lot of people do nothing because most need some direction. There’ll be a lot of people who would take a stance if they knew it would be worthwhile and had support but it’s all over the place right now. People need a direction or at least a surety of knowing their feelings will be counted and acted upon, collectively.

obviously, referring to real match goers and not so called fans from Kilkennynallocky, Carolina, California or Kowloon.
I asked this same question, in this thread I think, about what do fans want?

Fridge chutney

Then that makes you a self-righteous sanctimonious person. Just because he mislabels something doesn’t mean he has no point.
Not really. He goes on a sanctimonious rant about SJWs just because some United fans don't want the Saudi regime owning the club. I have no time for people like that.

passing-wind

There's actually no credible news on this and people are still getting into a frenzy. The reality is irrespective of opinions none of us have the leverage nor influence to derail any board negotiations regarding the sale of the club. It would be no different to when the Glazers first sanctioned the club's purchase. If in a hypothetical world the Saudi's become owners of Manchester United we all have two simple options:

1. Stop supporting the club
2. Remain undeterred (irrespective of belief's).