Saudi sports minister gives update on buying club from Glazers

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This whole levels of evil thing is just plain weird to me reading the posts above. Both sets of people arent good people, its as simple as that. Frankly i cant think of many billionaires that are saints bar Bill and Melinda Gates (Kudos to them)
Newsflash: Bill Gates is far from a saint. Research it.

That said - comparing Glazers to the murderous prince of Saudi is ridiculous.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Doesn’t mean anything except Saudis have a stake , albeit very small.
SoftBank have a 26% stake in Alibaba which is a substantial amount and they're very closely connected to the Saudi's per a google search.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's refreshing to have a thread about a potential Saudi takeover because this has never been done on the Caf before.

MDFC Manager

Any truth to this?

May or may not mean anything. Need something more concrete. I would actually say that the partnership (last year?) with their local football body is a bigger link than this one.

red thru&thru

It's refreshing to have a thread about a potential Saudi takeover because this has never been done on the Caf before.
Agreed. I always feel so reinvigorated after reading all the numerous Ole/manager threads.

red thru&thru

The sports minister speaks very well. Quite refreshing to hear the main sports guy in SA speak. I'll put politics to aside for now, but whatever their end goal is, they're definitely making strides in the sports scene.

red thru&thru

May or may not mean anything. Need something more concrete. I would actually say that the partnership (last year?) with their local football body is a bigger link than this one.
Like you say, it's hard to draw too much from this, but there are guys like Robert Leitão on our board, part of Rothschild & Co, who are also heavily invested in the likes of Alibaba.

On the face of it, it may just look like a simple partnership. However, we all know, when big partnerships & big money like this is being spent, there's usually more than meets the eye.

DartMaverick

Supports
ManUtd
I am amazed at the arrogance and hypocrisy of the Western world. Has any of you really thought that the purchase of Manchester United could also have an impact on Saudi Arabia and change this country for the better and bring it closer to Western values? This deal can be mutually beneficial to both parties!

MDFC Manager

Like you say, it's hard to draw too much from this, but there are guys like Robert Leitão on our board, part of Rothschild & Co, who are also heavily invested in the likes of Alibaba.

On the face of it, it may just look like a simple partnership. However, we all know, when big partnerships & big money like this is being spent, there's usually more than meets the eye.
Yup agreed. Time will tell, I guess the Saudis don't want to rush it either.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If its a vanity project for the country --- and an external projection and symbol of success, I am pretty certain that they will ensure that United will be successful at any cost.

It would be quite a turn around -- from bloodsuckers to raining cash.

A few more years in the doldrums, I am pretty sure many of us here will change our views. A few transfer windows declarations of 'no value in the market' and we will be welcoming the Saudis with open arms.

Zen86

If its a vanity project for the country --- and an external projection and symbol of success, I am pretty certain that they will ensure that United will be successful at any cost.

It would be quite a turn around -- from bloodsuckers to raining cash.

A few more years in the doldrums, I am pretty sure many of us here will change our views. A few transfer windows declarations of 'no value in the market' and we will be welcoming the Saudis with open arms.
nope

djembatheking

Hopefully the Glazers refuse to sell and the Saudis buy Liverpool. We can laugh at them as they rack up trophies and call them Liverpoil and stuff. It would be great watching City and Liverpool cleaning up while we fight for top 6 with Arsenal.

red thru&thru

not this shit again, hope it gets locked like the last thread
Why should it get locked? There's no reason for it to now as there is actual proof there is some interest in the Saudis buying Manchester United. After all, this is a Manchester United forum.

red thru&thru

Hopefully the Glazers refuse to sell and the Saudis buy Liverpool. We can laugh at them as they rack up trophies and call them Liverpoil and stuff. It would be great watching City and Liverpool cleaning up while we fight for top 6 with Arsenal.
Well at least we can parade the morality open tour bus parade at the end of the season, could these teams do that? At least when fans turn up to OT to watch tepid football we call all chant, "Moral values, moral values. Human rights, human rights!"

SaintMuppet

Here we go again with the lessons in ethics.

Bring on the Saudi’s

We need an owner that lets us operate to our full potential. Owners that do not seek a financial return.

The biggest clubs in Europe have that type of owner, one who doesn’t seek financial returns on their investment.
We need the same platform, we are the biggest brand in world football ffs.

Man up and get on with it. Nobody agrees with their atrocities but owning United won’t exactly make it worse, as I’ve said before if anything the stronger connections to western culture may marginally influence them to avoid further atrocities, with all the worldwide negative press that would bring being United owners.

Sadly their atrocities are not on the news every day because people don’t care enough, once they own United suddenly their behaviour will be bigger news.
Any ‘soft power’ or influence through ‘sports washing’ would be cancelled out by such negative press.

Therefore I only see this as a positive for us and them in the long run.

People need to stop connecting their moral beliefs to their football club, you don’t support the owners you support the club and squad and our history.
Don’t tell people who, what or why people support something you presumptuous @&$@!

If some fans myself included sever ties with the club because it’s owned by a disgusting regime it won’t make any difference to you or the club. What it will make a difference to is people for whom morals and ethics mean more than kicking a bag of air round a field. Nobody is telling YOU what you should do do wind your neck in and allow others to make choices best suited to them!

Cue ‘we are better off without fake fans like you’ sigh

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The sports minister speaks very well. Quite refreshing to hear the main sports guy in SA speak. I'll put politics to aside for now, but whatever their end goal is, they're definitely making strides in the sports scene.
Jesus Christ

Ban

Love the man up and deal with it comments. Oh and nobody agrees with atrocities but.

Judas

Open to offers
Why you ask that?
Because of the countries views on women? It's not rocket science. You seem very much Saudi IN though, so you're not going to care.

For the record, I doubt it would have any impact on the women's team, they probably just wouldn't be going on a tour of Saudi Arabia anytime soon.

Ban

I doubt very much United fans “assisting the Saudi’s financially” is what they are looking for by purchasing United, the last thing they need is money.

Who owns United is not a fan choice, we don’t get to vote on our owners, it has no relevance to political voting.

Why are people comparing the Saudi’s to Hitler and the Nazi’s, it’s such an exaggerated comparison.

The former have a poor human rights record and are responsible for some awful things (so are the majority of western countries.)

The latter were aiming to conquer Europe and in the process tried to erase an entire race of people through genocide on an industrial level.

Granted the Saudi’s have some awful traditions and way of life but it’s still a bit of a stretch to compare the two.
Yeah Saudis did some naughty things, shame on them.

Meep

Hell no. A assassinating and total dictature regime don’t get to buy the biggest and most beautiful football club in the world. Come back with a new and improved democratic country (Where people have protected human tights) in 20 years..

Ban

Well at least we can parade the morality open tour bus parade at the end of the season, could these teams do that? At least when fans turn up to OT to watch tepid football we call all chant, "Moral values, moral values. Human rights, human rights!"
So it's either tepid football Saudis, no middle ground or some other owners?
To some fans it's all about transfers and money it seems, who cares about tradition and what the club once stood for.
Wonder how rainbow laces campaign will go on for instance. Our Saudis overlords will no doubt support it.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
I've no doubt that the Saudi's will takeover eventually, I've excepted it as I see it as the only way out from the Glazers, but being excited for it, and openly gagging for it, will always be weird to me.

red thru&thru

Because of the countries views on women? It's not rocket science. You seem very much Saudi IN though, so you're not going to care.

For the record, I doubt it would have any impact on the women's team, they probably just wouldn't be going on a tour of Saudi Arabia anytime soon.
MBS has let women drive recently. Opened cinemas for the first time since the 70's so men & WOMEN can go. Concerts are being put on, again, women can also go. Also relaxed some type of rule allowing women to leave SA without the consent of a male. So although I DO KNOW their rules on women. I questioned the vidality of the post about the United Womens team, as that post may not be aware of the changes MBS is making.

And to answer your question about me being Saudi IN, well I'm neither in or out. I'm shaking it about at the moment...as that's what I really want to happen at United. I want the hierarchy to be shaken up at United as it's clearly not working in the current format.

Ban

I've no doubt that the Saudi's will takeover eventually, I've excepted it as I see it as the only way out from the Glazers, but being excited for it, and openly gagging for it, will always be weird to me.
They've allowed women to drive recently so relax.

Djemba-Djemba

I am amazed at the arrogance and hypocrisy of the Western world. Has any of you really thought that the purchase of Manchester United could also have an impact on Saudi Arabia and change this country for the better and bring it closer to Western values? This deal can be mutually beneficial to both parties!
How is not wanting to be owned by a murderous and barbaric regime being arrogant or hypocritical?

Owning Utd will do feck all to modernise Saudi Arabia. They want to own Utd because they just want to appear cutting edge and modern to the outside world, it's a blatant attempt at sportwashing.

Ban

Tell me you're not that naive?

Djemba-Djemba

They've allowed women to drive recently so relax.
Yeah exactly, how progressive of them. You're totally right though, I can't believe how often that gets brought up as if it's meant to be impressive in any way.

Plus I'm pretty sure the women who originally protested and pushed for the right to be able to drive are still in prison and God knows what they are experiencing in there.

Ban

Yeah exactly, how progressive of them. You're totally right though, I can't believe how often that gets brought up as if it's meant to be impressive in any way.

Plus I'm pretty sure the women who originally protested and pushed for the right to be able to drive are still in prison and God knows what they are experiencing in there.
Yeah ridiculous, every tiny step, like that one, they make is used to prove they're making great strides or something.

The_Order

Holding on to your values and being successful are not mutually exclusive.