Saudi sports minister gives update on buying club from Glazers

Jericholyte2

Just seen SSN reporting of the interest in Newcastle.

Guess we're staying completely fecked then.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Those greedy parasites are here to stay. You are right though, we are fecked. Totally fecked.

red thru&thru

We regularly hear Joel has intervened, it’s nothing new and no one knows if any of it is true. Woodward must be staring down the barrel of being moved on or moved aside at least because of his performance. Even people as incompetent as the Glazers have to act eventually because it will hit their pockets.

So you actually believe Joel has spent hundreds of millions buying up shares?.
His hedge funds have, yes. Go have a look at all the recent filings and the hedge funds that have bought up.

red thru&thru

Will be interesting indeed. Sheffield United is owned by Saudis too. I'm pretty sure they're bought by the sovereign. How will that work with FA rules?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If people renew their season tickets next season you're now just part of the problem. Don't give them a grand of your money and then complain they are ruining us. If most people don't renew what choice do they have but look for a buyer?

Singing songs does feck all. They came for your money. Gave my ticket up years ago. Never giving them another penny.

Roboc7

His hedge funds have, yes. Go have a look at all the recent filings and the hedge funds that have bought up.
Look at voting rights, that’s what matters here. Those shares have not been sold, if they were it would be public knowledge.

This is no different to people believing the club has secretly been sold to the Saudi’s based on twitter rumours, it literally cannot be true because they would have to notify the stock exchange of the change in ownership.

dabeast

If the Saudi PIF buys Newcastle, there probably is no private buyer at the current market cap for the Glazers. The small floated minority of shares’ price has been artificially inflated recently in the hopes of a buyout but if they were to float the rest, the share price is likely to drop substantially since a controlling stake would then be much harder to obtain (witness what happened in the Glazer takeover in 2005 with the diversified shareholding).

This will severely curtail the Glazers’ options to monetize and is likely to now elicit a response from them.

#GlazersOut #SaudisIn #AnyoneButThe GlazersIn

red thru&thru

Look at voting rights, that’s what matters here. Those shares have not been sold, if they were it would be public knowledge.

This is no different to people believing the club has secretly been sold to the Saudi’s based on twitter rumours, it literally cannot be true because they would have to notify the stock exchange of the change in ownership.
Ok. Let's see what March and June bring; and all in between.

Roboc7

Ok. Let's see what March and June bring; and all in between.
Like I say they have to file with the SEC if shares are being sold and Joel would need hundreds of millions to buy his siblings out. We can therefore categorically role our Joel is buying shares and gaining more control.

red thru&thru

Like I say they have to file with the SEC if shares are being sold and Joel would need hundreds of millions to buy his siblings out. We can therefore categorically role our Joel is buying shares and gaining more control.
What are the current share percentages between the siblings?

Roboc7

What are the current share percentages between the siblings?
The B shares, the ones that matter are owned by the 6 siblings, not split exactly but relatively evenly. If Joel was buying them out he would be paying a fortune and would have to file with SEC.

DartMaverick

Supports
ManUtd
Roboc7
Mate do you know how many shares are under control of Glazers and how many are free on the market and belong to other people? Something like 80% vs 20%?

jem

They'll be a lot better than the Glazers, because
a. they don't need the money. in fact they have far more than City's owners
b. they care a lot about what the world thinks of them. United will be like a crown jewel. wouldn't be surprised if they hire smartly.
c. they're actually pretty damn good at being successful when they want to be. any means necessary
What are some examples of this success that you are referring to?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I reckon the Newcastle link is aimed at putting pressure on Glazers to sell.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a secret buyer or two in the wings as well. Bezos for example. he's currently in the mother of all feuds with the Saudis and Amazon are interested in the Premier League.

LoneStar

I reckon the Newcastle link is aimed at putting pressure on Glazers to sell.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a secret buyer or two in the wings as well. Bezos for example.
Why would Bezos want to buy United though? He'd have to spend an insane amount of money to buy the club, it's not a guaranteed return. Anything can happen in football. It's not like we haven't spent money in the last 7 years.

Also, for most of these billionaires, Saudis including, it'd make more sense to buy a sleeping giant for less and work their way up. This is why the Newcastle rumours make sense to me.

Although one thing you can say is for Saudis, it's not about the money, but selling their brand. But even then, something like Newcastle would make more sense.

Roboc7

Why would Bezos want to buy United though? He'd have to spend an insane amount of money to buy the club, it's not a guaranteed return. Anything can happen in football. It's not like we haven't spent money in the last 7 years.

Also, for most of these billionaires, Saudis including, it'd make more sense to buy a sleeping giant for less and work their way up. This is why the Newcastle rumours make sense to me.

Although one thing you can say is for Saudis, it's not about the money, but selling their brand. But even then, something like Newcastle would make more sense.
Exactly the Glazers would demand a premium and it’s unlikely anyone will pay it. Amazon are interesting in streaming so that would prevent them buying Utd just like Sky.

As you say makes way more sense to buy someone like Newcastle.

glazed

The Saudis actually host a pirate satellite station called BeOut which broadcasts premier league illegally. It's part of a cyber war with Qatar, who have Bein Sport. Qatar uses the interest in the PL to attract eyeballs and broadcast anti-Saudi propaganda. So Saudis would love to get the Bein contract cancelled. Owning the biggest club in the PL would help with that process.

Bezos is at war with the Saudis. Their Crown Prince, MBS, had one of his employees at the Wall Street Journal murdered. Then MBS sent Bezos a personal whatsapp text threatening to expose his extramarital affair. The subsequent divorce cost him tens of billions. So he's pretty pissed and would love to put one over on MBS, the Crown Prince.

Separately Amazon Prime has started competing for PL broadcast rights. Owning the biggest club in the PL would help with that process.

glazed

Exactly the Glazers would demand a premium and it’s unlikely anyone will pay it. Amazon are interesting in streaming so that would prevent them buying Utd just like Sky.
I seem to recall Murdoch tying to buy United for the same reason. It was blocked by a Labour government because Sky was already in a dominant position with sports rights. Amazon is not.

Pablo76

If people renew their season tickets next season you're now just part of the problem. Don't give them a grand of your money and then complain they are ruining us. If most people don't renew what choice do they have but look for a buyer?

Singing songs does feck all. They came for your money. Gave my ticket up years ago. Never giving them another penny.
Even if every seat was bought by a season ticket holder, do you really think circa £7.6m per year is making a difference?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Even if every seat was bought by a season ticket holder, do you really think circa £7.6m per year is making a difference?
Large amounts of empty seats in ground effects all the other sponsors too. Nobody wants to be associated with a club at war with itself that's the whole point.

Why do our fans on here just keep making excuses for them and pretending there's nothing that can be done? There is. Boycott the games and they will get the point.

Turning up and singing songs has been tried in 2005, 2010 and plenty other years. It doesn't work. You have to cut off the money. That's all they care about. We are going to have to suffer more to get them out. Be well worth it in the long run.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Common sense. But it's hard to take people out of their comfy zone. Protesting by singing songs and waiving scarf are more convenient, albeit much less effective (if effective at all).

clarkydaz

Large amounts of empty seats in ground effects all the other sponsors too. Nobody wants to be associated with a club at war with itself that's the whole point.

Why do our fans on here just keep making excuses for them and pretending there's nothing that can be done? There is. Boycott the games and they will get the point.

Turning up and singing songs has been tried in 2005, 2010 and plenty other years. It doesn't work. You have to cut off the money. That's all they care about. We are going to have to suffer more to get them out. Be well worth it in the long run.
Yes this is infuriating. As if the media fallout and sudden emergence of the Glazers last few days had nothing to do with Old Trafford singing anti glazer songs and walking out on Wednesday

dabeast

This account, run by a person who seems to work in PR and Government Relations for the Saudi Royal Family first wrote on LinkedIn and tweeted in November that there was interest in buying us.

He has just tweeted that the Saudi PIF is in talks to buy Newcastle. it would be hard to get much more authoritative confirmation of a breakdown in Saudi-Glazer talks than this.

#GlazersOut #SaudisIn

Morpheus 7

I hope they do something either way so we can lock this thread. The I'm right and my morals are correct thread. Should call it, do we stay with thieves and be in midtable forever or get back to the top with murderers.

matt10000

b. they care a lot about what the world thinks of them. United will be like a crown jewel. wouldn't be surprised if they hire smartly.
c. they're actually pretty damn good at being successful when they want to be. any means necessary
What are some examples of this success that you are referring to?
Murder of journalists
Execution of protesters
Hacking of phones.......

It all seems so far away from home but I wonder what Eleven-Eighteen would think if it was one of his/her children who was imprisoned while visiting Saudi for writing an article on human rights in Saudi or something?

I keep reading people trying to justify it as the Saudi regime are trying to improve and buying man utd would put them in the spotlight and help encourage them and be good for their people........ behave and get real........ just like the Berlin Olympics turned Hitler into Mother Teresa in 1936.

I don't like the Glazers and I would like them to be replaced but frankly replacing a family of parasitic leeches with a murderous thuggish de facto ruler who denies his own people of human rights, imprisons his own people for criticising authorities or advocating political and rights reforms, systematically discriminates against women and religious minorities, curtails academic research deemed sensitive, bans political parties, censors local media and executes people who were involved in anti-government protests when they were under 18 years old, hacks peoples phone accounts in an attempt to influence news coverage of the kingdom.

If this purchase happens then Man Utd Utd whose roots stem from good, hard working class people of Salford will become a propaganda vehicle for a murderous tyrant.

#GlazersOut #SaudisNotUntilHellFreezesOver

jem

Murder of journalists
Execution of protesters
Hacking of phones.......

It all seems so far away from home but I wonder what Eleven-Eighteen would think if it was one of his/her children who was imprisoned while visiting Saudi for writing an article on human rights in Saudi or something?

I keep reading people trying to justify it as the Saudi regime are trying to improve and buying man utd would put them in the spotlight and help encourage them and be good for their people........ behave and get real........ just like the Berlin Olympics turned Hitler into Mother Teresa in 1936.

I don't like the Glazers and I would like them to be replaced but frankly replacing a family of parasitic leeches with a murderous thuggish de facto ruler who denies his own people of human rights, imprisons his own people for criticising authorities or advocating political and rights reforms, systematically discriminates against women and religious minorities, curtails academic research deemed sensitive, bans political parties, censors local media and executes people who were involved in anti-government protests when they were under 18 years old, hacks peoples phone accounts in an attempt to influence news coverage of the kingdom.

If this purchase happens then Man Utd Utd whose roots stem from good, hard working class people of Salford will become a propaganda vehicle for a murderous tyrant.

Agree with all this.

Erebus

Murder of journalists
Execution of protesters
Hacking of phones.......

Yep

MichaelB1807

It is the 'any means necessary' bit that should scare the hell out of all of us. We shouldn't sell our soul to the devil for sporting success. I don't want them anywhere near us.

LJJT

Murder of journalists
Execution of protesters
Hacking of phones.......

I am with you on all this mate well put

psychdelicblues

Murder of journalists
Execution of protesters
Hacking of phones.......

You've just triggered the amorality police, but great post and perfect hashtags.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Murder of journalists
Execution of protesters
Hacking of phones.......

^Agree.

El Zoido

Murder of journalists
Execution of protesters
Hacking of phones.......

Good post and I agree. Feck the Saudi’s, shame on anyone who wants this. I’d rather we were in league one than be owned by these guys.

dabeast

I am perplexed by the moral outrage here. Regimes murder people, that’s just in their nature. Does anyone on this thread believe the British and American regimes have not murdered and are not murdering MANY more people and are not hacking MANY more phones than this Saudi regime?

Here, in India, we had the Jallianwala Bagh massacre where the British killed nearly 1500 unarmed people a hundred years ago. Just recently, the Americans “droned” a high official of another Government. These murders are happening every day and yet the people on this forum seem to prefer sticking with the Glazers, a representative of the American regime’s soft power.

It would be interesting to survey the race of those who support a Saudi takeover vs those who are against it on this forum, it might be instructive.

#GlazersOut #SaudisIn

Le Red

The Saudis actually host a pirate satellite station called BeOut which broadcasts premier league illegally. It's part of a cyber war with Qatar, who have Bein Sport. Qatar uses the interest in the PL to attract eyeballs and broadcast anti-Saudi propaganda. So Saudis would love to get the Bein contract cancelled. Owning the biggest club in the PL would help with that process.

Bezos is at war with the Saudis. Their Crown Prince, MBS, had one of his employees at the Wall Street Journal murdered. Then MBS sent Bezos a personal whatsapp text threatening to expose his extramarital affair. The subsequent divorce cost him tens of billions. So he's pretty pissed and would love to put one over on MBS, the Crown Prince.

Separately Amazon Prime has started competing for PL broadcast rights. Owning the biggest club in the PL would help with that process.
Jesus how did the world got so complicated?

Stig

I have a more jaded view that the overwhelming majority won't care. My view coming from massive disappointment at seeing Trump elected despite the shadow of sexual misconduct, white supremacy and nationalism. Actually had many a friend that voted for him use the same excuse - the bad stuff is exaggerated, he'll be better once on this global stage, I had to choose my welfare first (promise of jobs).

Manchester United. Religion. Wife. Kids. Wifi. Amazon Prime...Human Rights. That Order.
Why do people put the wife before the kids ?