Saudi sports minister gives update on buying club from Glazers

dove

The problem with getting the Saudis in is that they will never sell the club for another 50 to 100 years, they are in there for long term. We will be just moaning about the owners in case if we do not like them or like what they do to the society. In case if Saudis do buy the club and do inhuman activities our conscious will suggest us to stop supporting United and support some other club.

On the other hand we will be buying all top talents, we have the best infrastructure a club could have, winning titles the way City are doing it now etc.

Sometimes I feel like I want the Saudis in as I hate Glazers vey much and sometimes I feel I do not want these Saudis.

Wish in England they run the club like Barcelona ie owned by the club members. It would have been better.
If you are even thinking of that, I would question your support in the first place. How can you just support some other club? "I don't like Saudis at United, I will just go support City instead as their owners are much better".

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Oh that’s ok then, leave them all to it. What a waste of time that world war 2 was
Them all includes the UK and the US. That's the point I was making and you seem to have missed.

Typical Western narrative though that it's only the middle East with terrible and evil leaders. It's all just spin. America attack more countries than any other and they are somehow portrayed as the saviours.

Posh Red

Them all includes the UK and the US. That's the point I was making and you seem to have missed.

Typical Western narrative though that it's only the middle East with terrible and evil leaders. It's all just spin. America attack more countries than any other and they are somehow portrayed as the saviours.
I’m not sure how many times it can be posted. No one has once said that the west does not have evil people running their countries. The post you are responding to was saying that he doesn’t want someone like that running United. If Trump puts a bid in then there would be just as much outrage if not more!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I’m not sure how many times it can be posted. No one has once said that the west does not have evil people running their countries. The post you are responding to was saying that he doesn’t want someone like that running United. If Trump puts a bid in then there would be just as much outrage if not more!
I'd be opposed to it on the grounds that he'd turn old Trafford into a gaudy gold palace

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Factually, there is a progress in liberalization of the regime. Recent developments include women attained driving rights, women higher education promotion, entrance visa liberalization.

Yes, Wahabbism is a radical interpretation of the Holy Quran and Sunna. Yes, it is the official ideology of the Saudi regime.

But, as any repressive ideology, after playing it’s role in establishing statehood, Wahab’s teachings became politically obsolete.

I.e. inefficient for managing millions of the Saudi citizens who travel, have money, satellite TV, and Internet. The Saudis are shifting to a more open Dubai (Qatar, Kuwait, Oman) model.

The Saudi elite is looking to ditch Wahab in a way that wouldn’t cost them power. The same trick as Chinese communists did after Mao. Do you think that Communism is really working in China? No. There’s no Communism. China’s real ideology is Bureaucracy.

Gradual liberalization is a must for an oppressive regime to survive in the XXI century. MBS represents that understanding in the Saudi family.

He is not a saint, he is a cynical and power addicted dictator, but he is not stupid. He has to liberalize regime and modernize economy to prepare it for post-oil world.

Otherwise, he risks to get a crowbar in his anus like Qaddafi.
First, let's not conflate modernization to liberalization or even social justice. They are aren't synonymous.

The difference between SA potentially ditching Wahabbism and China ditching communism is Wahabbism is directly linked to extremism and terrorism, which presents a very significant threat to the Saudis. China "silently" ditching communism was more about saving face and there lacked a dangerous byproduct like that or terrorism.

I actually disagree liberalization is a must in the 21st century. People have this misconception the world becomes liberal at the linear pace which is not the case. Even in Europe, there has been a shift to more conservative policies. Regardless, from what I hear from people who either lived in the country or are familiar with the middle east no one is holding their breath about the Suadi's becoming more liberal.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I have friends from Saudi Arabia who are working in the US and I ask them about their country whenever I talk to them. There is actually a split in ideas between MBS and the older more conservative factions of the Royal Family. The conservatives who want things to stay the old way really don’t like MBS. Another thing to look at is Vision 2030 which is a detailed plan to modernize and has even noted the promotion of cultural and social tolerance for what it’s worth. If true, then this all points to them embracing more liberal practices since they can’t rely on oil money forever and have to participate in other industries. That’s where I think things like investing a football club come into play — another step in the modernization process. So if that benefits us while they transform themselves, then I’m all for it.

edit: meant to link this https://vision2030.gov.sa/en

also edit: this wysiwyg editor is shit
Do you mean the same government that murdered a journalist for criticizing the government? Many see these plans as nothing but PR for the rest of the world. It's not about transforming themselves. It's about having a PR vehicle, which is what United would be.

United benefits monetarily but will be forever known as a plastic, oil-backed club sponsored by an oppressive regime no matter how much everyone wants to deny it.

Infra-red

What are people going to do when they realise the Saudi’s aren’t actually going to buy us and it’s nothing but lazy journalism/rumours.
I don't think anyone really expects this to happen anymore. There haven't been any serious reports linking the Saudis to United since late autumn 2018. There may or may not have been an actual offer on the table at that point - we will probably never know.

Either way, there were a raft of reports in April 2019, suggesting that the Saudis had walked away and were exploring other options instead. These same reports also said that the Glazers (or at least some of them) were in it for the long haul and were planning to take a more active role in the running of the club (which seems to be coming to fruition, if the recent stories about Joel Glazer are true).

It looks like the Saudis have now turned their attention to Newcastle, which, as others have said, probably makes more sense for them when looked at through the prism of a cost/benefit analysis.

dabeast

Do you mean the same government that murdered a journalist for criticizing the government? Many see these plans as nothing but PR for the rest of the world. It's not about transforming themselves. It's about having a PR vehicle, which is what United would be.

United benefits monetarily but will be forever known as a plastic, oil-backed club sponsored by an oppressive regime no matter how much everyone wants to deny it.
As opposed to be forever known as a club owned by chintzing changers only focused on getting the best noodle sponsor and not at all concerned with winning?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
As opposed to be forever known as a club owned by chintzing changers only focused on getting the best noodle sponsor and not at all concerned with winning?
It's ok if you would rather be a plastic club like City. To each his own.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Do you mean the same government that murdered a journalist for criticizing the government?
There wont be any masked mob breaking into MBS's house to protest!

I for one don't care if some money from my United Mbappe shirt funds bombs on yeman... if they own us or not isn't going to change a thing about how the regime acts

red thru&thru

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it correct to suggest that, if MBS buys United, let's say for £3.5bn, does the club need to show how they will repay the owner back for that amount? Something to do with FFP???

I though they could buy the club for that amount but United could only spend, on transfers, from what they make. I didn't think any new ownership of money would have to be taken into account on how the acquisition cost of the club, would have to be paid back.

Handré1990

I for one don't care if some money from my United Mbappe shirt funds bombs on yeman... if they own us or not isn't going to change a thing about how the regime acts
Ah yes, I can’t do anything about it personally, so why care? Where is yeman by the way? :)

RUCK4444

If more people said NO then maybe real change may happen. South Africa had to change because people said NO and boycotted them, NOT because people like you welcomed them with open arms
Integration and positive influence are the way to go this day in age. And I never said I'd welcome them with open arms, I said I don't see the drastically exaggerated downside that the doom mongers on here preach.

At the end of the day the choice is - back them and have all the upsides:
*Release our wealth as a football mega brand
*Replace corporate structure from TOP to BOTTOM
*Refurb the stadium and improve all training facilities
*Invest in scouting and youth (properly)
*Saudi strengthens ties with a household brand in United providing huge media coverage/spotlight
*Positively (no matter how marginal) effect any future Saudi atrocities

Or rally against them taking over:
*Effect nothing
*Still use their oil
*Sit here and wag our fingers at them for another 50 years

I don't even see any moral high ground in the latter choice, never mind any commercial sense.

Suvvernmanc

It's ok if you would rather be a plastic club like City. To each his own.
But we wouldn't. Our debt would be wiped and the Saudis wouldn't need to put any of their wealth into buying players. We can already afford to spend £250m per season of our own earnings but the Glazer's choose not too. Man city, PSG etc was different as they were eaning peanuts as they were shit and didnt bring in much money. Plus what would make us plastic as we are already a huge club with a great history.

matt10000

You are right there mate, no one in their right mind is going to break into MBS’s house seeing as he has people killed for far less.

matt10000

Integration and positive influence are the way to go this day in age. And I never said I'd welcome them with open arms, I said I don't see the drastically exaggerated downside that the doom mongers on here preach.

At the end of the day the choice is - back them and have all the upsides:
*Release our wealth as a football mega brand
*Replace corporate structure from TOP to BOTTOM
*Refurb the stadium and improve all training facilities
*Invest in scouting and youth (properly)
*Saudi strengthens ties with a household brand in United providing huge media coverage/spotlight
*Positively (no matter how marginal) effect any future Saudi atrocities

Or rally against them taking over:
*Effect nothing
*Still use their oil
*Sit here and wag our fingers at them for another 50 years

I don't even see any moral high ground in the latter choice, never mind any commercial sense.
I don’t think you see anything to be honest

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Correct.
The press would hang it like an albatross around our neck. Every win would be followed by a piece on the regime instead of our victory.
Feck the press. Just give them directions to the nearest embassy.

Phil

About 7 pages of discussion posts but I haven't been able to see if there's actually been any updates. Anyone care to enlighten me?

matt10000

But we wouldn't. Our debt would be wiped and the Saudis wouldn't need to put any of their wealth into buying players. We can already afford to spend £250m per season of our own earnings but the Glazer's choose not too. Man city, PSG etc was different as they were eaning peanuts as they were shit and didnt bring in much money. Plus what would make us plastic as we are already a huge club with a great history.
So why tarnish our great history with a murderous tyrant?

When we have a minutes silence for those who perished in Munich are we going to have another minutes silence for the many more who have been murdered at the hands of our owner who is stood amongst us at Old Trafford?

Last edited:

Infra-red

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it correct to suggest that, if MBS buys United, let's say for £3.5bn, does the club need to show how they will repay the owner back for that amount? Something to do with FFP???

I though they could buy the club for that amount but United could only spend, on transfers, from what they make. I didn't think any new ownership of money would have to be taken into account on how the acquisition cost of the club, would have to be paid back.
The club wouldn’t have to pay anything back mate as MBS would buy us outright. No loans.

We have to make payments to the bank at the moment because the bastard Glazers took out an enormous loan against the club to buy us, subsequently putting us hundreds of millions of pounds in debt.

Those filthy rats should never have been allowed to do it.

arthurka

The club wouldn’t have to pay anything back mate as MBS would buy us outright. No loans.

We have to make payments to the bank at the moment because the bastard Glazers took out an enormous loan against the club to buy us, subsequently putting us hundreds of millions of pounds in debt.

As a trading company there wasn´t anything anybody could have done. Hostile takeovers and leveraged buyouts are a norm for trading companies.

Suvvernmanc

When we have a minutes silence for those who perished in Munich are we going to have another minutes silence for the many more who have been murdered at the hands of our owner who is stood with is at Old Trafford?
The Saudis are bombing Yemen. Using bombs and missiles supplied by the UK. Nobody here in the UK seems to give a shit. Why?

The US and UK have bombed and attacked like 5 countries in the last 20 years leaving them in ruin, under the false pretense of their rulers having WMDs etc and their countries are now being ravaged by new terrorist groups as nothing was done in the aftermath of the wars to help restructure them.

My point is that in my opinion, yes the Saudis are in the wrong regarding Yemen but no more than what other countries close to home are doing.

And also to mention that peoples morals dont come into it with other industries and business so why should it here?
Apple have been using Chinese 'slaves' for years in the production of their products and also mining the raw materials from a poor and impoverished Africa without any real compensation.

Bad things happen all over the world, all the time. But the Saudis are different or worse that everyone else somehow?

When we have a minutes silence for those who perished in Munich are we going to have another minutes silence for the many more who have been murdered at the hands of our owner who is stood with is at Old Trafford?
The Saudis are bombing Yemen. Using bombs and missiles supplied by the UK. Nobody here in the UK seems to give a shit. Why?

The US and UK have bombed and attacked like 5 countries in the last 20 years leaving them in ruin, under the false pretense of their rulers having WMDs etc and their countries are now being ravaged by new terrorist groups as nothing was done in the aftermath of the wars to help restructure them.

My point is that in my opinion, yes the Saudis are in the wrong regarding Yemen but no more than what other countries close to home are doing.

And also to mention that peoples morals dont come into it with other industries and business so why should it here?
Apple have been using Chinese 'slaves' for years in the production of their products and also mining the raw materials from a poor and impoverished Africa without any real compensation.

Bad things happen all over the world, all the time. But the Saudis are different or worse that everyone else somehow?

I'm sure everyone has different opinions on their view of the world/history and politics and dont really want to have long winded discussion about that in this thread. But bringing up morals regarding the Saudis is a strange one to me

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I'm sure everyone has different opinions on their view of the world/history and politics and dont really want to have long winded discussion about that in this thread. But bringing up morals regarding the Saudis is a strange one to me
You have kind of went off on a rant here, the UK and US are just as bad as many other countries true, but they aren't trying to buy a football club. Like City this is actual Middle Eastern countries, with dubious human rights policies buying football clubs.

arthurka

Better than a leaky dumpy place that it is becoming.

Give Old Trafford 20 years of quick or no fixes and it'll be a right state
It is getting to that state, nothing has been done for the place for 14 years. If anyone is in doubt that the Glazers aren´t gonna do shit you only need to look at how they managed to get a new stadium for Tampa. Sadly they cannot tell the City of Manchester to feck off and build one or they will take United to Luton..

stepic

the question is whether people would be just as against a US consortium bid lead by Trump and Bush.

stepic

You have kind of went off on a rant here, the UK and US are just as bad as many other countries true, but they aren't trying to buy a football club. Like City this is actual Middle Eastern countries, with dubious human rights policies buying football clubs.
the point is that, why does it take the Saudi's possibly buying United for everyone's morality to finally kick in? when i'm sure most people happily post here using their iPhones, walk around in their Nike's, vote for politicans who are indirectly involved with attrocities, or whatever else. we're all hypocrates, so where is the line? is it just an arbitrary one?

matt10000

When we have a minutes silence for those who perished in Munich are we going to have another minutes silence for the many more who have been murdered at the hands of our owner who is stood amongst us at Old Trafford?
The UK Government is not interested in buying man utd and if they were I would object
The US and UK have bombed and attacked like 5 countries in the last 20 years leaving them in ruin, under the false pretense of their rulers having WMDs etc and their countries are now being ravaged by new terrorist groups as nothing was done in the aftermath of the wars to help restructure them.?
Neither the UK or US Government is interested in buying man utd and if they were I would object
....and they murder/imprison homosexuals, journalists, protestors.......if you posted the above criticism of Saudi involvement in Yemen from within Saudi you could be imprisoned, tortured and killed.
Other Governments close to home are not interested in buying man utd and if they were I would object
Apple are not interested in buying man utd and if they were I would consider my position on that one
The House of Saud have shown an interest in buying man utd. If and when anyone else shows an interest I will form an opinion on them but right now I can't form an opinion on everyone in the world just in case they show an interest.
Why is it strange to look at the morals of people who are interested in buying man utd? We should consider the morals of anyone who is interested surely? How would you feel if Kim Jong-un was interested?

If House of Saud buys us and Prince Mohammad Bin Salman is standing with us at Old Trafford when we have a minutes silence for those who perished in Munich are you really going to be able to blank out the many who have been murdered at MBS's hands?

It may sit well with you but not me

Last edited:

red thru&thru

So if Saudis buy us, it's at their own personal cost?

I thought the above was true too but someone trying confuse me with ffp regulations.

Thanks for replying back.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
the point is that, why does it take the Saudi's possibly buying United for everyone's morality to finally kick in? when i'm sure most people happily post here using their iPhones, walk around in their Nike's, vote for politicans who are indirectly involved with attrocities, or whatever else. we're all hypocrates, so where is the line? is it just an arbitrary one?
I think most people are well aware of the humanitarian crimes carried out by all countries even the ones we are in. I don't think any country or regime should be allowed to buy a football club the soul purpose would be just to improve their image on a global scale.

Member 101269

The UK Government is not interested in buying man utd and if they were I would object

Neither the UK or US Government is not interested in buying man utd and if they were I would object

And they murder/imprison homosexuals, journalists, protestors.......if you posted the above criticism of Saudi involvement in Yemen from within Saudi you could be imprisoned, tortured and killed.

Apple is not interested in buying man utd and if they were I would consider my position on that one

The House of Saud have shown an interest in buying man utd. If and when everyone else shows an interest I will form an opinion on them but right now I can't form an opinion on everyone in the world just in case they show an interest.

Why is it strange to look at the morals of people who are interested in buying man utd? We should consider the morals of anyone who is interested surely? How would you feel if Kim Jong-un was interested?

If House of Saud buys us and Prince Mohammad Bin Salman is standing with us at Old Trafford when we have a minutes silence for those who perished in Munich are you really going to be able to blank out the many who have been murdered at MBS's hands?

It may sit well with you but not me
In buying MU their business has to comply with UK legislation. The equality and other aspects are void, and promotes questions with SA. I'd take the small win for progression within humanity... I'm sure some would say it's utopic; isn't that were change starts, people wanting change rather than saying i can't do anything, i'm scared etc etc. Time to put the big boys pants on and use MBS for change, rather than MBS promoting prospects of something...

Kim Jong-un; what do you know of him? Are you using Donald as a basis for insults and morality?

MBS murders people? where is the evidence?