Saudi sports minister gives update on buying club from Glazers

ravi2

Yeah. Don't really understand why this bothers people so much.
Chelsea are owned by a -literal ex KGB gangster- and their fans -do not care-.
Manchester City's owners (most specifically Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan ) have been accused of participating in atrocities in Yemen.
The bluemoon brigade do not give a flying feck and use the billions they've been spent on (while an average attendance of 42,000 actually go to the plastics games) to dare to look down their noses at us.
We are owned by some feckers who've set up a blood sucking parasitic hedge fund to slowly financing some sort of stock options in America through the lifeblood of what used to be our club while Old Trafford leaks and we sign loan players from China.
Like - most football fans wouldn't care if ISIS came and bought out their team, as long as it translated to good football on the pitch.
Me? I've been to the Middle East, if not Saudi specifically, and my family -has- been there. It's not the backwater shithole people seem to think it is on here - look up Neom and the plans they've got there. It's mental
Yeah they are still stuck in religious strife and there are certain things their religion espouse that don't really marry with Western ideals, but that's probably the case for like 95% of the WORLD. We don't really hold the moral high ground over -anyone-, but I think because it's Manchester United, and opposing fans would prefer us to remain in crippling debt, it's in their interest to vehemently oppose them coming in for us, and our fans are generally fairly liberal and moral (the worldwide base) so they tend to agree.
Obama droned more people to death that I can think of and folks are ok with him as well.

After years of the Glazers, United are now a mid table club and Liverpool are where we were in 2008 and running circles around us so at this point Id be ok with MBS buying the club.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I wonder how many of the millions profited by United to the Glazers have made its way to supporting Trump’s campaign — an admin that is engaged in killing innocents around the world, putting kids in cages, and overseeing a criminal justice system that literally makes slaves out of a disproportionately black population in private prisons. Our money ain’t clean.

Suvvernmanc

1. The bolded is completely false. United cannot spend £250m per season without the Saudis injecting money into the club.
2. That really doesn't matter. If United are a club backed by the Suadi government the supporters would universally be looked at as plastic. The same as any club. The football world would roll their eyes after all United's successes just like City and PSG. If Liverpool were bought by MBS instead of FSG, and financially doped to get to where they are doing you honestly think the praise they have received would be the same?
Forgive me for
1. The bolded is completely false. United cannot spend £250m per season without the Saudis injecting money into the club.
2. That really doesn't matter. If United are a club backed by the Suadi government the supporters would universally be looked at as plastic. The same as any club. The football world would roll their eyes after all United's successes just like City and PSG. If Liverpool were bought by MBS instead of FSG, and financially doped to get to where they are doing you honestly think the praise they have received would be the same?
With revenues of £600m+, and having a wage bill of roughly 45%, and without the Glaziers taking there huge dividend, what other expenditures does the club have for us to not have £250m available per season.

redshaw

Obama droned more people to death that I can think of and folks are ok with him as well.

After years of the Glazers, United are now a mid table club and Liverpool are where we were in 2008 and running circles around us so at this point Id be ok with MBS buying the club.
Liverpool have taken on Abu Dhabi and Pep without getting bought by Saudi Arabia and have just won 24 out of 25 games and won the CL

matt10000

US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy were totally built by fair business practices and not because of slavery and exploitation of the rest of the world. No that would be crazy.
Non of the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy governments have shown an interest in buying man utd. If and when they do, I am sure there will be a thread looking at their suitability. I would imagine it would be based on the current government not historical.

For the record I would be against any state ownership.

Red For Ever

I support United the Football team

I may dislike the owners, even dislike everything they stand for, but the owners will come and go, I have seen a few since my first visit to OT in the mid-60s

It can be hard at times to separate, but I support the team on the pitch, not the Company, or the owners

Simplistic maybe

ravi2

Liverpool have taken on Abu Dhabi and Pep without getting bought by Saudi Arabia and have just won 24 out of 25 games and won the CL
Sounds like they have owners who know what the feck they are doing.

matt10000

What is more crossing of the moral line?
1- watching football on TV and liking a club owned by a regime like Saudia?
or
2- As a UK citizen you pay taxes to your murderous government that kills innocent people around the world with your money?

I am not telling you that I like that the club I love is being owned by them, but if they buy the club I will not quit watching the games and stop cheering for man utd.
You pay your taxes and reflect in your vote if you are not happy with government policy. That is the system and if you don’t pay tax due you go to prison.

At least we get the opportunity to vote against our government and have the right to protest. In Saudi you can’t vote and are imprisoned if you protest.

No system is perfect but there is a difference.

Last edited:

AneRu

Well of course it’s a PR thing because they’re trying to modernize to be an economic powerhouse to compete against Qatar and UAE. It’s not fake since part of that plan is to build a brand new mega city, which is already starting. They can’t rely on oil forever.

And I have to break it to you, but United are already a PR vehicle for corporations who do all they can to part fans from their money, time, and privacy. Our team is already whored out like a circus on the road with those US, Australia, and Chinese markets — the US and China being murderers of their own will yet we happily take their money. Modern football is a multi billion dollar industry and it costs money to compete with the best and be successful. And despite being oil-backed, most fans will wind themselves in once we start winning trophies and we’ll be here talking formations and being muppets for transfers.
This and Woodward has squandered the financial edge that we had on ill thought out signings and appointments made without vision. We have failed to maintain our competitiveness and are now also-rans. Sponsors and fans are unhappy, the Glazers do not wish to invest fresh money into the club to rectify their puppet's mistakes so something has got to give.

AneRu

Non of the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy governments have shown an interest in buying man utd. If and when they do, I am sure there will be a thread looking at their suitability. I would imagine it would be based on the current government not historical.

But you are ok living under their protection and enjoying a standard of living long established by conquest, colonialism and slavery? So your morals only apply to the Saudis owning Man United but not anywhere else?

matt10000

But you are ok living under their protection and enjoying a standard of living long established by conquest, colonialism and slavery? So your morals only apply to the Saudis owning Man United but not anywhere else?
There is not a lot I can do to change history. I can only influence the future.

Florida Man

Look at the post I quoted. I was responding to the assertion of KSA using dodgy practices to build their economy.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So if Saudis buy us, it's at their own personal cost?

I thought the above was true too but someone trying confuse me with ffp regulations.

Thanks for replying back.
That’s the way I understand it mate.

FFP is supposed to relate to a club only being allowed to spend what it generates in revenue.

Garethw

I don’t agree with the way the Saudi’s do things, but I would never stop supporting the club. Not under any circumstances. Anybody that can just stop supporting obviously has no emotional involvement with the club.

redshaw

Sounds like they have owners who know what the feck they are doing.
Exactly.
My grandad had absolutely feck all like everyone else in Manchester not long ago and you don't have to go far back to see children of this country working in factories, most people had feck all 200-300-400 years ago let alone 100-120 years ago. Much of the standard of living in Europe today is brought about by recent innovations and inventions and bloody hard work building it all from the people here. My grandad worked in a blazing hot steel factory moving it all by hand, an incredibly hard graft, he wasn't enjoying any fruits of colonialism, conquests or slavery, even 80-100 years ago. There was no privileged lifestyle for the vast majority, it's hard graft after hard graft after hard graft for hundreds of years to get to this point where the average person can benefit from industry and have some perceived higher standard of living.

People trying to turn over every rock on the planet in the last 5000 years, unrelated events, governments,regimes, myths, tropes and whataboutisms to reason Saudi Arabia buying Manchester United.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

I don’t agree with the way the Saudi’s do things, but I would never stop supporting the club. Not under any circumstances. Anybody that can just stop supporting obviously has no emotional involvement with the club.
I think i can play this game.

Anyone who couldn't cares more about reflected glory than human rights.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

sunama

Baghdad Bob
as i alluded to above, why is this the line? why are we all happy to buy clothes and shoes made in sweat shops but only when our football team (of all things) could be bought do our morals finally kick in?
Somebody answer this.

Danillaco

I did some reading an one point that had me thinking about theses deals with saudis, qataris and other mideastern regimes.

Why did even though they have horrible conditions of freedom and individual liberty, countries continue to do business and are ever growing partners? Well, the main logic is money, obviously. They are oil oligarchies, filthy rich and money talks.

The other point, that I have never considered, is that liberties can be discussed and imposed through commerce. Maybe it's something obvious for most, but I didnt look things this way.

International commerce is greatly integrated and the world is more than ever watchful of human rights violations, and even there the pressure for more liberties are being widely pushed. I don't think that they will be free countries, but change has to start somewhere, and international visibility and commerce can have influence.

Even step by step upgrades may not seem much (like women able to drive or watch football games in stadiums) and aren't by our standarts, have to be pushed constantly to get better and better.

I'm still opposed to being taken over by Saudis, but this business got to play a part in the new image they are trying to pass ot the worlds and the internal repercutions.

I don't know if I made myself clear...

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Jeff Bezos earns £millions per hour. It doesn't mean that I should attempt to create another Amazon. (because he managed to do this)...realistically it won't happen.
Similarly, just because LFC have managed to beat Oil money, it doesn't mean that us, with Glazers, Woodward and Ole, will be able to do the same. I actually think that it is highly unlikely, as the structure at the club is terrible. To change the structure, we'll need new owners.

mu4c_20le

Even step by step upgrades may not seem much (like women able to drive or watch football games in stadiums) and aren't by our standarts, have to be pushed constantly to get better and better.

I'm still opposed to being taken over by Saudis, but this business got to play a part in the new image they are trying to pass ot the worlds and the internal repercutions.

I don't know if I made myself clear...
Personally, I feel like they are only 'getting better and better' to appease the west, not because they think it's right. They still happily employ slave labour from Egypt, Philippines, India, Indonesia, etc to build and serve in their great cities. The journo incident is merely a small example of the brutality and arrogance that still exists in their mindset, because they thought they could get away with it without much fuss. They have special rules for their own citizens. Also, oil clubs are in the vast minority in the footballing world, and there are plenty of examples of clubs being successfully run without dirty money. People go on and on about Ole and what coaching can do, and point to other clubs as an example, but money is not a big factor in their success.

matt10000

91% of United fans that Sun asked, want MBS. Why can't we get such a poll in this thread?
What was the wording of the question?

I suspect “Would you be happy for a billionaire arab prince to buy out the parasitic Glazers?” may get a different result than “Would you be happy to be owned by a murderous homophobic tyrant”

Florida Man

I can state my disapproval. If enough people do this it may have an influence it may not. What is your point are you just being an arsehole?
Not being an ass but we’re all arguing over this as if we have any choice in who owns us. Absolutely no chance fans do enough to change that because we’re a $4B club and none of us are going to collectively put up that kind of money especially when there are other things in life more worthy of banding together for. Look at the protests against the Glazers and how absolutely nothing came from that other than some green and gold merch.

Le Red

Exactly.

My grandad had absolutely feck all like everyone else in Manchester not long ago and you don't have to go far back to see children of this country working in factories, most people had feck all 200-300-400 years ago let alone 100-120 years ago. Much of the standard of living in Europe today is brought about by recent innovations and inventions and bloody hard work building it all from the people here. My grandad worked in a blazing hot steel factory moving it all by hand, an incredibly hard graft, he wasn't enjoying any fruits of colonialism, conquests or slavery, even 80-100 years ago. There was no privileged lifestyle for the vast majority, it's hard graft after hard graft after hard graft for hundreds of years to get to this point where the average person can benefit from industry and have some perceived higher standard of living.

People trying to turn over every rock on the planet in the last 5000 years, unrelated events, governments,regimes, myths, tropes and whataboutisms to reason Saudi Arabia buying Manchester United.
It seems you missed the reeducation camp.

Repeat after me:
West bad.
White bad.
Christian bad.

Say a thousand times and return for your next exercise.

red thru&thru

What was the wording of the question?

I suspect “Would you be happy for a billionaire arab prince to buy out the parasitic Glazers?” may get a different result than “Would you be happy to be owned by a murderous homophobic tyrant”
Not sure but I believe it was a direct question about MBS taking over the Glazers. Irrespective, we should have a poll in here.

arthurka

He won a Nobel peace prize. So I would say that people have pretty much forgiven him.

redshaw

Jeff Bezos earns £millions per hour. It doesn't mean that I should attempt to create another Amazon. (because he managed to do this)...realistically it won't happen.
Similarly, just because LFC have managed to beat Oil money, it doesn't mean that us, with Glazers, Woodward and Ole, will be able to do the same. I actually think that it is highly unlikely, as the structure at the club is terrible. To change the structure, we'll need new owners.
The new owners could be equally poor with decisions and by the people they employ and waste even more money. You're implying you have to join them with your defeatist amazon analogy yet PSG have yet to win the CL or get to a final either. Eventually they will once but likes of United, Liverpool, Barcelona and Real Madrid can and have shown you don't need to sell out to compete or beat them. I wouldn't be so keen to sell United, a club with over a hundred years of history, self made just because we're not successful recently. We won't get much credit if we did win, even if we say they never put down a penny, we'd be in with PSG, City with an asterisk next to our name.

We've pissed a billion up the wall, the Saudi's could piss 2-3 billion up the wall.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
I wonder how many of the millions profited by United to the Glazers have made its way to supporting Trump’s campaign — an admin that is engaged in killing innocents around the world, putting kids in cages, and overseeing a criminal justice system that literally makes slaves out of a disproportionately black population in private prisons. Our money ain’t clean.
Obama?

SaintMuppet

Forgive me for

With revenues of £600m+, and having a wage bill of roughly 45%, and without the Glaziers taking there huge dividend, what other expenditures does the club have for us to not have £250m available per season.
Funding the Glazers maybe???

Garethw

I think i can play this game.

Anyone who couldn't cares more about reflected glory than human rights.
I don’t give a shit about the glory. I’ve supported the club for over 30 years, through a period of unprecedented success. If I never see us win another trophy I’ll still have experienced more success than most supporters.

I’ll follow this club to the day I die regardless of who owns us.

I am completely against their regimes and human rights violations, but I’ll support this club (not the owners) through everything.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
Why has this thread grown so much today?

Any actual update or just nothing else to talk about now transfers are done and there’s no game for 2 weeks?