Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

Weren’t they supposed to be taken over by sheikhs in the summer and we had the exact same responses in that thread.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Weren’t they supposed to be taken over by sheikhs in the summer and we had the exact same responses in that thread.
Nope that was the much less wealthier cousin of MBS, who turned out to be broke. This is a completely different entity that represents the Kingdom.
This is a completely different ball game altogether now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is the reality of Football now. We're going to be in the quagmire of mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

I ansolutely don't want the Saudi's taking over Man United, but I equally don't want them taking over another EPL Club and further mitigating the financial advantage our history has earn't us.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Fit and proper test to stop this?

SaintMuppet

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I’m pretty much done with football. It’s not even close to a sport anymore and the players are overpaid wimps. Personally I can’t wait for the bubble 2 burst as it inevitably will one day!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Fit and proper test to stop this?
In Britain, everything's for sale regardless of morals, and it's been that way for centuries more or less.

NinjaFletch

The Saudis can feck off.

Anyone that wants them here can, too, for that matter.

Feel sorry for Newcastle fans though.

Bojan11

This is a completely different ball game altogether now.
Eh? MBS and him aren’t cousins. He was distant cousins with the City owner.

Regardless we heard reports like this for Leeds and Newcastle for a long time. Ashley isn’t going to sell that easily. He’s going to milk it for what it’s worth especially if he sees the Saudis coming.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Newcastle have a similar problem to us in having shite owners. I wonder if the fans share the same moral qualms many of us have about having Saudi owners.
I would say some do but probably not all. I lived in the North East for 15 years and have a lot of friends who are Newcastle fans, even have a bit of a soft spot for them myself as I used to be a ball boy for them too. Their feelings towards Mike Ashley are just as toxic as how we feel towards the Glaziers, perhaps more so when you factor in a couple of relegations and some really terrible and torrid times over the last 15 years or so. I think, despite the fact it is the Saudi crown prince who is buying them, the majority will be absolutely delighted to get rid of Ashley finally.

Teja

Makes sense I guess. Instead of buying Utd for 4bn and spending on player upgrades, much rather buy any other PL club for a fraction of the price and spend a billion or so to compete for the title.

GMoore23

I hate to say it but if this is true, forget about us winning the league in the next 6 or 7 years. We're already struggling to compete with sugar daddy clubs financially as it is. If the Saudi's buy Newcastle, they'll do the exact same thing that Chelsea, City and PSG's owners did in their first few seasons in charge. Buy absolutely every quality player available while Ed dithers around promising Disney land for adults!
Our Rebuild hasn't been going great and this is going to make it even more difficult. If this is for real, It pains me to say this but Newcastle will be the top club in the country within 5 years. They've always been a well supported club and are a much bigger club than city were before their takeover. I can see St James park being transformed into the best club stadium in the country while our beloved Old Trafford is ready to collapse!

justboy68

Makes sense for the Saudi's. Quite a big support and available relatively cheap. It's going to make it even harder to compete going forward.

Member 101269

The timing is interesting; we're big in SA, NU aren't, loads of negatives around United owners. NU don't match SA profile.. the cynic in me remains reserved

hungrywing

Mildly amusing to think of the Glazers being all b-but 3.5bn market c-cap isn't that what we're worth you guys that's what we're worth, right?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Maybe I’m old fashioned but I’m pretty much done with football. It’s not even close to a sport anymore and the players are overpaid wimps. Personally I can’t wait for the bubble 2 burst as it inevitably will one day!
Reminds me of the italian league when it was at its prime and how it collapsed.

Personally a good league means a good Man Utd and Liverpool. If we or Liverpool do badly, the bubble could burst.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I'd rather be 6th than owned by the Saudis.
Agreed. I would rather get relegated than be owned by those murderous cnuts, but I don't understand why these should be our only two choices: being shite or being owned by murderers.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would rather get relegated than be owned by those murderous cnuts, but I don't understand why these should be our only two choices: being shite or being owned by murderers.
Indeed they shouldn't be. Liverpool have managed to become the best team in Europe without spending sugar-daddy money. Basic competence would take us a long way, let alone operating to a high standard.

Judas

Open to offers
Amazing news for Newcastle if true, I don't want them here, but feck me we're screwed, that's been looked at as our horrible safety net for awhile now.

SecondFig

Thank feck for that. I'd be sorry to see Newcastle ruined like that (Ashley's bad, but...) but I thank the good Lord it wasn't us. Rather see us related than owned by that lot

Judas

Open to offers
We're really fecked as a club if we don't even have the Saudi's to one day bail us out. Grim really. Always had a soft spot for Newcastle, deserve to be better than they are now, but its probably not the nicest way to become global giants.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mad, I know, but I don't consider City's titles & trophies to be 'real'; just like I'll discount anything Newcastle might win.

Steve Bruce

Dont. They majority want this to go through.
I think the majority of United fans would want the same if it where United.

While some do have a moral stance, I do think this is a minority.

I think most United fans care more about the team on the pitch than who owns United. If things are going well, Satan could own us and it wouldn't matter.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'll play devil's advocate.

How do we assign ethics to the sovereign wealth fund of a nation? Would this move be kosher if it was Norway's fund investing in a club it felt it could make a good return on?

Status
Not open for further replies.