Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Oh I'm the self righteous one? Fascinating...
Well you’re the one posting about British Colonialism on a football thread about Newcastle Utd.:lol:

This thread gets more ridiculous with every passing day

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The Saudi / Muslim and Israel / Jewish situation are almost paradoxical in that when people criticise Israel they do so delicately as to make it clear they are critical of the government rather than the religion yet with the Saudis people always seem to go to extra lengths to tie their atrocities to their religion.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The Saudi / Muslim and Israel / Jewish situation are almost paradoxical in that when people criticise Israel they do so delicately as to make it clear they are critical of the government rather than the religion yet with the Saudis people always seem to go to extra lengths to tie their atrocities to their religion.
That because the legal system of Saudi Arabia is directly based on Sharia law which is directly derived from their religion. And by the way, I believe the state of Israel deserve a lot of critism and condemnation they receive.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Aisha is generally held to be around 6 or 9 years old when she married. Which also opens up another whole can of worms in this discussion.
Banned for 2 weeks for taking the thread off-topic despite being asked politely by a number of mods. Others please take heed.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Some absolutely filthy replies calling her prostitute and Jamal khashoggi a terrorist.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Indicting a religion or a country on account of person or companies shareholder actions is somewhat irresponsible and futile. It's basically a massive generalisation of the population of the owners' nationality/religion. Let us not judge individuals on their nationality or religion, rather focus on their personal actions and behaviours and if their actions warrant criticism then we are in our rights to point this out.

Berlusconi being Italian does not represent Italians. Glazers or Fenway Sports do not represent the USA. Roman Abramovich does not represent Russia. MBS does not represent Muslims/Islam or for that matter the Saudis'. The proposed purchase by Saudi’s Public Investment Fund has nothing to do with the general population of KSA. They have no say where the sovereign fund of that country is invested. A Saudi businessman purchasing a club is nothing new. Sheffield United is controlled by a Saudi. Man City is owned by Arabs and their investment has completely changed the landscape in certain parts of Manchester. PSG is owned by Arabs. One of Barcelona's biggest sponsors is Arabs.
These people without generalising are businessmen wanting a return, wanting to promote their brand (country?) park their wealth into safe havens or is a probable plaything to fix their massive egos.

The list continues. Concerns derived from the code of personal behaviour that is considered right or acceptable in a particular society generally is ignored by our governments as long as it brings investment.

caid

I dont think theres much to say about newcastle as a team tbh. I think everyone expects wholesale changes across the club. I kind of presume Mike Ashley hasn't put serious investment or had a real plan in terms of youth, training facilities, stadium or anything else for years. I think it'll take them a bit longer to be serious contenders than it took City, just as it took City a few more years than Chelsea. In terms of a spectacle I think it'll probably be good for the league.
From a United pov, I dont think it matters much. I think Liverpool have kind of shown that if you build a good team and have a good plan behind the scenes the trophies will come.

Camilo

Well you’re the one posting about British Colonialism on a football thread about Newcastle Utd.:lol:

This thread gets more ridiculous with every passing day
Seems pretty appropriate when much of what we have as a nation was built in similarly horrific ways. Best not forget the cnuts we historically are.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
That because the legal system of Saudi Arabia is directly based on Sharia law which is directly derived from their religion. And by the way, I believe the state of Israel deserve a lot of critism and condemnation they receive.
Showing your ignorance once again. Keep it up! Or read a book for a change.

Giggsyking

False.

Last edited:

Giggsyking

I hope this buy get stopped by the Premier league. They just cant get through the check by the premier league.

Darlington Padgett

Indicting a religion or a country on account of person or companies shareholder actions is somewhat irresponsible and futile. It's basically a massive generalisation of the population of the owners' nationality/religion. Let us not judge individuals on their nationality or religion, rather focus on their personal actions and behaviours and if their actions warrant criticism then we are in our rights to point this out.

Berlusconi being Italian does not represent Italians. Glazers or Fenway Sports do not represent the USA. Roman Abramovich does not represent Russia. MBS does not represent Muslims/Islam or for that matter the Saudis'. The proposed purchase by Saudi’s Public Investment Fund has nothing to do with the general population of KSA. They have no say where the sovereign fund of that country is invested. A Saudi businessman purchasing a club is nothing new. Sheffield United is controlled by a Saudi. Man City is owned by Arabs and their investment has completely changed the landscape in certain parts of Manchester. PSG is owned by Arabs. One of Barcelona's biggest sponsors is Arabs.
These people without generalising are businessmen wanting a return, wanting to promote their brand (country?) park their wealth into safe havens or is a probable plaything to fix their massive egos.

The list continues. Concerns derived from the code of personal behaviour that is considered right or acceptable in a particular society generally is ignored by our governments as long as it brings investment.
Not only governments, I've seen Newcastle fans all over twitter celebrating and attacking anyone saying this is bad. Its a weird situation considering how good it might turn out to be for their team but at what cost?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
I had my bottom smacked for previous posts. All I will say is I hope Ashley looks after the club he presently owns. NUFC are an asset to the EPL. Very vocal and loyal fans.

caid

I hope this buy get stopped by the Premier league. They just cant get through the check by the premier league.
I'd be pretty surprised if it was stopped. Its purpose is to check if you have the proper funding rather than any kind of ethics test isn't it?

redshaw

Not only governments, I've seen Newcastle fans all over twitter celebrating and attacking anyone saying this is bad. Its a weird situation considering how good it might turn out to be for their team but at what cost?
Was only last season Newcastle fans were attacking Man City for its new found wealth on social media when they beat City at home. They were saying how they hoped it would secure Liverpool the title, not a state backed lottery club like City. All the ethics are out of the window now.

Last edited:

passing-wind

In terms of a spectacle I think it'll probably be good for the league.
From a United pov, I dont think it matters much. I think Liverpool have kind of shown that if you build a good team and have a good plan behind the scenes the trophies will come.
I understand the concensus of your post but Liverpool's success comes down to having the best manager in football. We management wise are a long way off winning anything credible under Solskjaer.

caid

I understand the concensus of your post but Liverpool's success comes down to having the best manager in football. We management wise are a long way off winning anything credible under Solskjaer.
Newcastles success or otherwise isn't going to change that though. I think we'll always have access to a tier of managers and players that we can start building on and i think once you have the makings of a great team its gets easier again to pick up the last pieces.
Maybe i'm wrong, I think City were bordering on being a problem in recent seasons by how far ahead of everyone else they were. It'll be interesting to see how they fare refreshing their current team.

IrishGlen

I don’t think this will be so smooth for Newcastle. City and PSG have probably taken advantage of the prior system and FFP will weigh more heavily on Newcastle. I think their growth will be a lot slower. There’s also a lot more competition and money in the league these days e.g. Would Leicester sell Maddison? Palace with Zaha? Wolves with Jiménez? Maybe for £80m but that’s a quarter of a billion for three players.

City were trying to breach a Top 4 (not the strongest Top 4 after the golden period in the CL) while Newcastle have Liverpool (a good system plus Klopp) Man City (already established) Chelsea, Us and Arsenal (exciting young teams and an ability to spend large fees too moreso with us and Chelsea) Spurs, Leicester, Wolves and Everton too. (These clubs are bringing in good European talent in the likes of Digne,Gomes, Tielemans, etc already).
I also feel there was a gap in the past regarding wages that’s probably not there these days or if it is, it’s smaller. If you’re a good player coming to the league you have City, us, Chelsea and Liverpool that would be able to match Newcastle’s offer. City for a period during our “no value” years had little competition.

Further issues with the location might be considered unattractive by players, prestige and when they do finally make the Champions League the seeding problems and rather difficult groups to get out of. I don’t think their first five years will bring a league title like City or 4 league titles and cups in their first 10 years of ownership. I’m sure one day they’ll win the league, maybe even the European Cup but in my opinion it’s a long time away and their path to success won’t be as easy as City.

Rish Sawhney

That is some revisionism. People weren’t calling Klopp the best manager in football before Liverpool started winning. If Ole starts winning leagues people will start calling him the best manager as well. What Liverpool shows is the value of sticking with someone you believe in through the bad periods. And Klopp and Liverpool genuinely had some bad periods. People forget Klopp’s been at Liverpool since 2015. And they only really became a really good team around 2018 after the Van Dyjk transfer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That is some revisionism. People weren’t calling Klopp the best manager in football before Liverpool started winning. If Ole starts winning leagues people will start calling him the best manager as well. What Liverpool shows is the value of sticking with someone you believe in through the bad periods. And Klopp and Liverpool genuinely had some bad periods. People forget Klopp’s been at Liverpool since 2015. And they only really became a really good team around 2018 after the Van Dyjk transfer.
He was labelled one of the best, or at least potentially one of the best from his Dortmund days.

Offsideagain

IrishGlen is correct in my view that ,if the purchase goes through, we won’t see the Toon spending £600m like Guardiola did at City because of FFP. The fans just want Ashley to do one and get steady guaranteed investment. One of the tricks City used around FFP was selling the naming rights for the Council Ground. Last time that was tried at Newcastle, it caused a lot of unrest with the fans. I know a few Toon fans and most couldn’t give a monkeys about what goes on in Saudi or Abu Dhabi for that matter, they just want decent footy to watch.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
If it was their intention to whitewash their crimes through buying newcastle, then they're failing abjectly. They might have bought the loyalty of the fanbase of one club, but along with that they've got the hatred of 19 clubs fanbases. If anything, this will draw more attention to the rubbish they do in Saudi Arabia.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If it was their intention to whitewash their crimes through buying newcastle, then they're failing abjectly. They might have bought the loyalty of the fanbase of one club, but along with that they've got the hatred of 19 clubs fanbases. If anything, this will draw more attention to the rubbish they do in Saudi Arabia.
Meh talk for yourself ... I don't hate them... Im jealous - Id happily buy shirts and fund their war on Yemen if they came and brought us mbappe

SuperiorXI

Just wait until they build a new academy and re-develop the area, people will be calling them clever businessmen and investors in people i.e. Citeh.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Looking forward to managing them in FM21.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Just wait until they build a new academy and re-develop the area, people will be calling them clever businessmen and investors in people i.e. Citeh.
Aye, it's not strange how you can change the hearts and minds of people by directly investing in them, their area and their future. :lol: Perhaps regional and national government authorities should have tried it first so PIF wouldn't have such a cakewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.