Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Mike Ashley still walks away with £17m as it was a non refundable deposit.

The guy is a prize A cnut!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Well, it is not like they have anything to lose. They are not a top team, their owner is not investing so they should make smarter investments. There are no guarantees, but they should be stable and better than their current condition at least.

Arsenal have taken that approach, signed a lot of good talents and are look to keep doing so, as their owner is also not investing much. And at least the players they spend big on have contributed a lot, unlike Newcastle.

All I am saying is that their need to stop pretending as if the Saudis are the only way to improve. It is the easiest way, but not the only one.

I don't particularly care about this subject, but I have been surprised by the meltdown their fans are having.
What? They are desperate to get rid of Ashley by any means possible. They thought that an injection of cash from an oil rich state would set them onthe way to some sort of success

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Imagine having to adjust your transfer targets from Mbappe and Jason Sancho to Pukki and Dominic Solanke. These guys are pissed!
In fairness, they will probably have to go after Jason Sancho, while watching us go after Jadon Sancho :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
great contribution

it’s a half hour drive at tops hardly far is it which is my point
If you're roping in Wolves to the Birmingham clubs, why are you ignoring Sunderland, who are a mere 15miles from Newcastle, and current woes aside, are surely historically bigger than both Wolves and Birmingham?

Ace of Spades

What? They are desperate to get rid of Ashley by any means possible. They thought that an injection of cash from an oil rich state would set them onthe way to some sort of success
Just because they hate the owner does not mean that they should be acting as if the world is against them. It's not like their club has gone in to administration is it. The reaction is a bit ridiculous, they did not get the desired outcome, then move on.

Being this desperate to get owned by Saudis is not a good look. Does not help when their fans are all too happy to ignore all the real problems with them just because it is not happening in their country, all because of something as unimportant as football.

SirScholes

If you're roping in Wolves to the Birmingham clubs, why are you ignoring Sunderland, who are a mere 15miles from Newcastle, and current woes aside, are surely historically bigger than both Wolves and Birmingham?
I personally don’t think they are

but either way I don’t want to derail

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Just because they hate the owner does not mean that they should be acting as if the world is against them. It's not like their club has gone in to administration is it. The reaction is a bit ridiculous, they did not get the desired outcome, then move on.

Being this desperate to get owned by Saudis is not a good look. Does not help when their fans are all too happy to ignore all the real problems with them just because it is not happening in their country, all because of something as unimportant as football.
Frankly I'd be more shocked if there weren't displays of exaggerated disappointment to the end of the dream of getting rid of Ashley. I mean, where else in sport is "stay calm and rational and just move along" really thought of as good advice to give an emotionally shattered fanbase?

Cloud7

Frankly I'd be more shocked if there weren't displays of exaggerated disappointment to the end of the dream of getting rid of Ashley. I mean, where else in sport is "stay calm and rational and just move along" really thought of as good advice to give an emotionally shattered fanbase?
A lot of grown men and women are far too emotionally invested in a sport that doesn't care about them. If anything about football can make you emotionally shattered then you need to assess your priorities.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I personally don’t think they are

but either way I don’t want to derail
Sunderland have won 6 top flight league titles versus Wolves 3.
Sunderland have spent 86 years in the top flight, versus Wolves 66

Capacities are 49,000 v 32,500

Aside from Wolves currently being at their highest ebb for decades, and Sunderland their lowest, talk to me about how Wolves are bigger than Sunderland historically?

And Birmingham, no top league titles, smaller ground than Wolves, and 10 or so fewer top flight seasons than Wolves aren't in any conversation between the three.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am not going to open a can of worms by discussing how God awful the Saudi royal family is. However, the only thing I am disappointed with is the PL not having the backbone to flatly tell them no.
How can you approve a deal with someone that is stealing from you? For domestic political reasons, the PIF could not give sufficient guarantees they would put an end to the illegal broadcaster. What else do you want?

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
A lot of grown men and women are far too emotionally invested in a sport that doesn't care about them. If anything about football can make you emotionally shattered then you need to assess your priorities.
If you've internalized corporate modern football - talking more broadly than NUFC here obv - and see yourself as just a faceless customer with no voice or power in anything I can understand the despondency and cynicism but know that most fans worldwide don't view their club/sport as dispassionately and it's rude to judge them as though they should.

lsd

The Oracle
He might be a cnut but this has nothing to do with it. Not his fault the Saudis walked away.

It is if he tried squeezing more money out of them after everything was agreed

Ace of Spades

There is no reason to be emotionally shattered here in the first place, not like the club has disappeared. The only thing that has happened is that one awful owner is still in charge instead of anoother awful owner taking over the club.

Again, no sympathy from me as they are not in a truly awful situation, and are ridiculously overreacting.

Schmeichel=God

It is always amazing to see the strong opposition against the rich “third world”. Be it Russia, Saudis or China.

The world would be a much better place if people applied the same moral principles against their own government and leaders as they do against these entities.
I wondered when I'd see something along these lines. And it's a newbie with the cojones.

I can stop scrolling now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Premier league will have blood on their hands. Very funny.
They’ve also been tweeting Matt Hancock the fecking health minister to start an inquiry in to the PL. Absolutely incredible.

SambaBoy

The thing with Newcastle fans, and having lived there for a period of time during university, they very rarely speak about things on the pitch. All they talk about is Ashley and how they have been mismanaged. I understand that Ashley is a virus to the club but it's just constant with them. They could lose 1-0 last minute to a stupid own goal, and it will all be Ashley's fault.

stevoc

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Trying to guilt trip them into changing their decision because some lunatics might kill themselves over football owners.

Get a grip ffs. I don't want to get too political but this is what happens when society turns a bit soft. People are still cnuts deep down and will take the piss when it suits them, they're the one making a mockery of people with actual mental health issues.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Tbh - I am very surprised that Newcastle hasn't been taken over yet. Great stadium, passionate fans , not enough competition in the area.and great history.

You can put the blame on Ashley but fundamentally something else is wrong there. I mean teams like Leicester and Wolves has billionaire owners now. Surely, they can get one for Newcastle as well ?

Flanders Devil

A deal worth approximately £300m was agreed and signed on April 9 between Ashley and the Staveley/Saudi consortium. Since then, the Premier League have been able to prevent the deal going through with various delaying tactics, causing the Saudis to grow frustrated and pull out.

One assumes that the Premier League would do exactly the same with any future Saudi takeover, which means they'd be dead in the water before they'd even started. Absolutely no chance that they'll be back.
I haven’t read back all the pages, so apologies in advance if this has been discussed / answered...but I keep reading that the ‘premier league’ blocked the move - which makes me wonder what would happen if the buy a team in a lower division?

Is that still governed by the PL? And are there also broadcasting piracy issues with other leagues? (Note: notwithstanding this wouldn’t change the horrific Human rights issues...)

And I guess, if not, what happens if/when said team gets promoted to the PL?

Just a thought I had on this saga...

stevoc

Tbh - I am very surprised that Newcastle hasn't been taken over yet. Great stadium, passionate fans , not enough competition in the area.and great history.

You can put the blame on Ashley but fundamentally something else is wrong there. I mean teams like Leicester and Wolves has billionaire owners now. Surely, they can get one for Newcastle as well ?
To be fair they already have a billionaire owner.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The thing with Newcastle fans, and having lived there for a period of time during university, they very rarely speak about things on the pitch. All they talk about is Ashley and how they have been mismanaged. I understand that Ashley is a virus to the club but it's just constant with them. They could lose 1-0 last minute to a stupid own goal, and it will all be Ashley's fault.
Sounds like a fun place to live.

MattofManchester

I haven’t read back all the pages, so apologies in advance if this has been discussed / answered...but I keep reading that the ‘premier league’ blocked the move - which makes me wonder what would happen if the buy a team in a lower division?

Is that still governed by the PL? And are there also broadcasting piracy issues with other leagues? (Note: notwithstanding this wouldn’t change the horrific Human rights issues...)

And I guess, if not, what happens if/when said team gets promoted to the PL?

Just a thought I had on this saga...
I don't think they would actually. Not enough exposure to the media in a lower league to gain them any good credibility, and perhaps the fans won't be as entitled and willing to sell their souls in the same manner as Newcastle fans(not too sure about this one tbh).

The thing about Newcastle is they could use them to imply the "saving grace" idea from Mike Ashley.
I don't think the Saudis could care to even the slightest degree about football. Therefore, I don't think they'd have the patience to start with a lower league side and continually invest.
I could be wrong, but he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Some of the stuff I’m reading from them on Twitter is absolutely mental. They really have lost the plot. Below is just one example;

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
These people are weirdos. You're no longer been taken over by Saudis. That is awesome news.

Black Rick

These people are weirdos. You're no longer been taken over by Saudis. That is awesome news.
I'm sure they will treat your point of view with the utmost reverence. After all, you will have thought far more deeply and with far greater contextual insight, about what is good for Newcastle United than those who have followed the club all their life.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm sure they will treat your point of view with the utmost reverence. After all, you will have thought far more deeply and with far greater contextual insight, about what is good for Newcastle United than those who have followed the club all their life.
OK? I think a Saudi takeover would be disgraceful. A great club deserves better.

Status
Not open for further replies.