Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood Mage

It's hard not to feel sorry for the geordies getting their hopes up but this is great news for football. Oil backed football clubs are ruining the sport.

treble_winner

The club issued a statement saying that?

TBF there'll be good fans who are breathing sighs of relief.
Imagine the Saudis now turning to Manchester United and all the rumours being brought up again?
I know you guys loath the Saudis but imagine the meltdown on Newcastle fans if it happened? It would be ten fold of what they are experiencing now. :D

RoyH1

Good.
I sometimes hear from some of my friends how as a society we are much more morally aware and conscientious about the choices we make. But reading some of these reactions negates that completely. They don't care one bit about where the money comes from as long as it buys them success.
Joke of a supporters base.

Relfy

I think this was the only outcome from this whole saga. The Premier League could not feasibly sanction a sale of one of the clubs in their competition to a regime who for the past 2-3 years have been illegally stealing their product. It is well known that BoutQ has been a piracy enterprise stealing the images from Bein Sport who hold the licence for PL rights in the Middle East. Whether the Saudi royals had any involvement with this operation or not can be argued, but whatever the case may be they did not take action to stop it from happening, and one imagines that they thought they could do it and get away with it because they're loaded.

Good for football and the PL that this did not go ahead. Rubbish for the geordies who may be stuck with Ashley even longer.

Ace of Spades

They can't complain about money when they waste 40m on trash like Joelinton. You can improve if you do better work on scouting and recruiting. Look for bargains, improve your academy and invest in youth and a manager who is good at working with young players. There won't be immediate success, but it should help in the long run.

Thinking that the Saudis takeover means that they will get Mbappe and Messi begging to play for their club is the height of delusion.

DarkLord

I'd be livid if I'm a Newcastle fan. You have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change the club, and this doesn't just concern the club but the entire Newcastle city where 250 million would go into creating thousands of jobs, improving the infrastructure of the city, housing etc. They will never get another opportunity like this again. Feel sorry for them. I'm just wondering how the Premier League could stop this takeover when the club has agreed to the sale, or did the Saudis just got fed up and withdrew their investment due to the delay?

GloryHunter07

Rich Saudi’s arent used to not getting their way. Looks like they walked out in a huff - good riddance.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'd be livid if I'm a Newcastle fan. You have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change the club, and this doesn't just concern the club but the entire Newcastle city where 250 million would go into creating thousands of jobs, improving the infrastructure of the city, housing etc. They will never get another opportunity like this again. Feel sorry for them. I'm just wondering how the Premier League could stop this takeover when the club has agreed to the sale, or did the Saudis just got fed up and withdrew their investment due to the delay?
feck them. This is comedy gold and I can almost taste their tears.

Withnail

Have you been reading anything about it at all? Besides the human rights issues which should really have been the main concern but it's football so money talks, the Saudi's have apparently failed to crack down on TV network beoutQ, which is illegally broadcasting the beIN sports premier league feed in the country.

The also banned beIN Sports shortly before beoutQ launched, meaning there is no legal means of watching the PL in the country, and have been accused of facilitating the beoutQ operation.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Saudis pulled out due to the delay

Makelele

It is always amazing to see the strong opposition against the rich “third world”. Be it Russia, Saudis or China.

The world would be a much better place if people applied the same moral principles against their own government and leaders as they do against these entities.

ScarleyUtd

This never made sense to me. A Middle East rival has already taken an underperforming club and transformed their fortunes - City. Another one has bought the main club in a lower profile league - PSG - and done the same.

The thing that would make sense for the Saudis (and I would't be happy about it btw) would be to buy United. It aligns with their view of themselves as the number one power in the Middle East. Anything else, including Newcastle, is just repeating what Abu Dubai and Qatar have already done.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Newcastle was a PR exercise to show that they're in the market and flexing their muscles.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
This never made sense to me. A Middle East rival has already taken an underperforming club and transformed their fortunes - City. Another one has bought the main club in a lower profile league - PSG - and done the same.

The thing that would make sense for the Saudis (and I would't be happy about it btw) would be to buy United. It aligns with their view of themselves as the number one power in the Middle East. Anything else, including Newcastle, is just repeating what Abu Dubai and Qatar have already done.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Newcastle was a PR exercise to show that they're in the market and flexing their muscles.
It would be easier to buy Newcastle for like 250M and invest a billion into them than to buy United for 4 billion, which is the kind of evaluation the Glazers will sell at. Newcastle is probably a bigger club than even City with an extremely loyal fanbase.

ScarleyUtd

It would be easier to buy Newcastle for like 250M and invest a billion into them than to buy United for 4 billion, which is the kind of evaluation the Glazers will sell at. Newcastle is probably a bigger club than even City with an extremely loyal fanbase.
Agree it would be easier, and cheaper, but I think what matters to them is the status of what they're buying. It's a huge p***ing contest in the Middle East and Saudi always see themselves as number one, and they have the money. Yes United would cost a lot more, but the prestige would be invaluable. I just think they won't want to repeat what Qatar and UAE have done - it may be cheaper but is it a false economy.

Infra-red

That can't happen now, though. The Premier League have seemingly made their position pretty clear, which should protect us.

They may well look to buy a different club, but it certainly won't be in England.

ScarleyUtd

That can't happen now, though. The Premier League have seemingly made their position pretty clear, which should protect us.

They may well look to buy a different club, but it certainly won't be in England.
What have they said? And would they really be able to stop the Glazers selling?

stubie

It’s ridiculous I live in Newcastle, and all I ever hear is “we are the best supporters blah blah blah” we have the biggest fan base for a team that’s not won anything...

I’m always saying yer but there is no other team to support in the city
United - City
Liverpool - Everton
Villa Birmingham wolves
London obvs loads of teams

there is a big fan base because there is no other team !
So entitled

I’m laughing hard at this
Wolverhampton isn’t part of Birmingham:lol:

Infra-red

Or did the Saudis just pull out?
A deal worth approximately £300m was agreed and signed on April 9 between Ashley and the Staveley/Saudi consortium. Since then, the Premier League have been able to prevent the deal going through with various delaying tactics, causing the Saudis to grow frustrated and pull out.

One assumes that the Premier League would do exactly the same with any future Saudi takeover, which means they'd be dead in the water before they'd even started. Absolutely no chance that they'll be back.

ScarleyUtd

A deal worth approximately £300m was agreed and signed on April 9 between Ashley and the Staveley/Saudi consortium. Since then, the Premier League have been able to prevent the deal going through with various delaying tactics, causing the Saudis to grow frustrated and pull out.

One assumes that the Premier League would do exactly the same with any future Saudi takeover, which means they'd be dead in the water before they'd even started. Absolutely no chance that they'll be back.
It would seem that way, it's true. I just wonder how much that is PR spin from the Saudi side also though. I"m not convinced it's the end of it. They may bide their time, make whatever they do bullet proof and try here again. Otherwise the only place they could try to make their own is Spain - with a Valencia say - or Italy, which you could argue doesn't have the same prestige these days. Germany has more stringent ownership rules I think.

Charlie Foley

Wolverhampton isn’t part of Birmingham:lol:
great contribution

it’s a half hour drive at tops hardly far is it which is my point
Mate if this is your point then you’re on to a losing argument. Wolverhampton and Birmingham aren’t the same city! And using your logic of the last message there, that same logic also applies to Sunderland and Newcastle (30 minutes apart being your criteria) so your initial point about “only team in the city” now makes no sense :lol: All you had to do was not include Wolves, there are already 2 teams in Birmingham to use :lol:

GenZRed

They can't complain about money when they waste 40m on trash like Joelinton. You can improve if you do better work on scouting and recruiting. Look for bargains, improve your academy and invest in youth and a manager who is good at working with young players. There won't be immediate success, but it should help in the long run.

Thinking that the Saudis takeover means that they will get Mbappe and Messi begging to play for their club is the height of delusion.

While I agree with your post, the issue is that in the Premier League, immediate success is what is required. All it take is a five game winless run for the pressure on the manager to start increasing.

Brian Clough said that managers need at least three seasons to build a foundation for success. No manager in this day and age, in England would be given that much time.

always_hoping

Had the Man City takeover fallen through. Man United would be on 22 Premier league titles and Liverpool 20 right now.

Half a dozen domestic cups was won by City since 2011. Many of which could have gone to United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Makes you think doesn't it..

stubie

Had the Man City takeover fallen through. Man United would be on 22 Premier league titles and Liverpool 20 right now.

Half a dozen domestic cups was won by City since 2011. Many of which could have gone to United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Makes you think doesn't it..
And had the Chelsea takeover not gone through you could have added another couple on top of that, plus a few FA Cups

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Saudis must have walked when they realised that what's on that 70% off tag is just the price they always sell it for.

Nick7

Mate if this is your point then you’re on to a losing argument. Wolverhampton and Birmingham aren’t the same city! And using your logic of the last message there, that same logic also applies to Sunderland and Newcastle (30 minutes apart being your criteria) so your initial point about “only team in the city” now makes no sense :lol: All you had to do was not include Wolves, there are already 2 teams in Birmingham to use :lol:
:lol:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Have a strange feeling it was a dry run for them to buy us at a later stage. Not that I want it to happen but I wouldn’t stop supporting the club or anything. If it were to ever happen, it would be for one thing and one thing only, to use our brand to sportwash their country.

Ace of Spades

While I agree with your post, the issue is that in the Premier League, immediate success is what is required. All it take is a five game winless run for the pressure on the manager to start increasing.

Brian Clough said that managers need at least three seasons to build a foundation for success. No manager in this day and age, in England would be given that much time.
Well, it is not like they have anything to lose. They are not a top team, their owner is not investing so they should make smarter investments. There are no guarantees, but they should be stable and better than their current condition at least.

Arsenal have taken that approach, signed a lot of good talents and are look to keep doing so, as their owner is also not investing much. And at least the players they spend big on have contributed a lot, unlike Newcastle.

All I am saying is that their need to stop pretending as if the Saudis are the only way to improve. It is the easiest way, but not the only one.

I don't particularly care about this subject, but I have been surprised by the meltdown their fans are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.