Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
Dark and dull days ahead for the PL if this happens. City and Newcastle battling it out season after season.

As desperate Newcastle fans have been to get rid of Ashley, I know plenty who would be gutted if this was how they finally got rid of him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It'll probably get to the point where the PL is no longer exciting, it'll stop becoming popular and then rules will be made to contain them for the good of the league.

It'll take Newcastle 5-6 years to build it up just like City did, but no doubt if they throw enough money around they'll become a threat.

I think cost caps will eventually be the only way forwards to ensure integrity.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It'll probably get to the point where the PL is no longer exciting, it'll stop becoming popular and then rules will be made to contain them for the good of the league.
Having multiple super rich owners makes the league a lot more interesting that just having one or two. We could be looking at title fights with Chelsea, City, Newcastle, United in constant contention and teams like Liverpool also in the running.

Adam-Utd

Having multiple super rich owners makes the league a lot more interesting that just having one or two. We could be looking at title fights with Chelsea, City, Newcastle, United in constant contention and teams like Liverpool also in the running.
Not sure about that, if they REALLY stretch their financial muscle then not even Abramovich can keep up.

It'll be City and Newcastle trying to 1 up each other, and the rest ticking along trying to compete.

While there's obviously always been a heirachy in the league it's always been competitive. I just don't think bringing people with an unlimited budget is the idea of competitive.

Judas

Open to offers
City have been quite well behaved in terms of (publicly) spending massive figures on players. If the Saudi's come in and start spunking silly sums, I'm sure they'll follow. It'll get daft very quickly without rules being put into place.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
While there's obviously always been a heirachy in the league it's always been competitive. I just don't think bringing people with an unlimited budget is the idea of competitive.
Between 92-03 United won 8 out of 11 PL. That's hardly competitive. Its the kind of monopoly we make fun of Bayern for.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I think this will happen eventually and the reason why Benitez is waiting to see how it plays out. If they takeover, Bruce gets the boot and he’s goes back up there.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think this will happen eventually and the reason why Benitez is waiting to see how it plays out. If they takeover, Bruce gets the boot and he’s goes back up there.
If that fascist regime takes over, with unlimited wealth, why would they be looking to appoint Benitez? Surely they could do a lot better, no?

cyberman

Important month for Newcastle, if they win the court Case this month , the takeover will go trough.

The better Question will be , what does that mean for the PL, the Saudis aren't here to make money and won't accept anything less then trophies.
Itll help kill the league. Souless City v Newcastle battles every year suported by tiny fanbases just wont work

tenpoless

If that fascist regime takes over, with unlimited wealth, why would they be looking to appoint Benitez? Surely they could do a lot better, no?
With Newcastle they probably wouldn't have too many options at first, also remember what RAWK said, Rafa joined Newcastle to test his managerial skills not for glory nor unlimited funds.

redshaw

Actually very worrying for us if this happens. City will get their competitor along side Chelsea and spending will grow out of reach for even Man United. Also just the attraction of playing under unlimited money backing for players means they'll always be at the top for managers, players and facilities.

Newcastle will finish off their stadium to 90k seater. Man United will look back at how it fell through their grasp once Fergie wasn't there to mask the huge issue with the Glazer buyout. United could've built 3 stadiums with the interest we paid.

We had the ability to establish or even match a new level set by regimes, now we'll just have to watch the changeover.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Newcastle are like the guy who lost the winning lottery ticket! Can the deal be saved? I couldn’t really care less :lol:

their fans are as deserving of some joy as any at this stage. Money in football is just gone beyond crazy but you wouldn’t wish Mike Ashley on your worst enemy. If they can upgrade their players then best of luck to them. It’s up to us to set the bar.
Mike Ashley worse than a regime that suppresses it's people (certainly women) now I've heard it all.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Mike Ashley worse than a regime that suppresses it's people (certainly women) now I've heard it all.
It's amazing how some paint this as good news, isn't it? I would rather my club be relegated than taken over by that lot. feck football if it's allowed to happen.

Same with City and PSG. These state owned clubs are a disgrace to the sport.

Adam-Utd

Between 92-03 United won 8 out of 11 PL. That's hardly competitive. Its the kind of monopoly we make fun of Bayern for.
won on merit by being the best, not sportswashed.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I couldn’t be arsed getting into this debate again when it doesn’t concern United.

but

Roman abramovic has given 100 million to oppressive right wing settler groups in Israel who violently remove residents from their own homes. Great owner supposedly. I’m sure the glazers are up to their eyes in shitty republican politics in America and all that entails. They are all at it. Yes Saudi is probably amongst the most oppressive regimes but they are all spokes on the same wheel as far finance goes. Saudi and America are equal partners in lots of things (Yemen and so on) and they are basically the same thing as far as I’m concerned at this stage. Saudi already has about 80 billion invested in the U.K. and over 200 billion in the USA currently. If you live in either of those counties they already own a large part of you whether you like it or not. I really don’t get people from those countries acting like turning a blind eye and taking their money is somehow above them. Your leaders have already made the decision for you.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-54237970

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Important month for Newcastle, if they win the court Case this month , the takeover will go trough.

The better Question will be , what does that mean for the PL, the Saudis aren't here to make money and won't accept anything less then trophies.
Takeovers will continue to happen. Only a few realistic choices.

1. Accept the status quo. Clubs will be taken over sometimes and spend their way to the top.

2. Change the league, to be structured as a sporting competition not an economic one. Hard squad level salary cap or similar to achieve that.

The existing big clubs need to accept that will mean relegation is then a real possibility.

3. Or you accept the pyramid structure is no longer fit for purpose and figure something else out with said hard salary cap. Like US sports.

Can't see 2 or 3 being accepted for a few years at least.

stevoc

I couldn’t be arsed getting into this debate again when it doesn’t concern United.

but

Roman abramovic has given 100 million to oppressive right wing settler groups in Israel who violently remove residents from their own homes. Great owner supposedly. I’m sure the glazers are up to their eyes in shitty republican politics in America and all that entails. They are all at it. Yes Saudi is probably amongst the most oppressive regimes but they are all spokes on the same wheel as far finance goes. Saudi and America are equal partners in lots of things (Yemen and so on) and they are basically the same thing as far as I’m concerned at this stage. Saudi already has about 80 billion invested in the U.K. and over 200 billion in the USA currently. If you live in either of those counties they already own a large part of you whether you like it or not. I really don’t get people from those countries acting like turning a blind eye and taking their money is somehow above them. Your leaders have already made the decision for you.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-54237970
I'm confused which club are America reportedly interested in buying?

stevoc

American owners with strong political ties to the most oppressive foreign policy ever known to mankind but that’s fine because of PR.
So rich Americans (who everyone agrees are terrible owners and/or not great people) donated to a political campaign in America. The US government sells arms to a brutal oppressive regime in the middle east that commits abhorrent human rights abuses. And this regime want's to buy a football club in England.

Right so which club are America interested in buying or what is the relevance of the US governments foreign policy in a thread about a potential takeover by the Saudi's?

Is there a point to this very, very tenuous link or are you just repeating the classic whataboutism that people often regurgitate in these threads in defending the Saudi's?

In one of these threads last year someone in defending the Saudi's actually said America dropped a nuclear bomb on Japan, so that makes the Glazers worse than the Saudi's somehow. And that's the sort of nonsense that this train of thought amounts to.

Ali Dia

So rich Americans (who everyone agrees are terrible owners and/or not great people) donated to a political campaign in America. The US government sells arms to a brutal oppressive regime in the middle east that commits abhorrent human rights abuses. And this regime want's to buy a football club in England.

Right so which club are America interested in buying or what is the relevance of the US governments foreign policy in a thread about a potential takeover by the Saudi's?

Is there a point to this very, very tenuous link or are you just repeating the classic whataboutism that people often regurgitate in these threads in defending the Saudi's?

In one of these threads last year someone in defending the Saudi's actually said America dropped a nuclear bomb on Japan, so that makes the Glazers worse than the Saudi's somehow. And that's the sort of nonsense that this train of thought amounts to.
What about abramovic?

I’m not getting into this debate today. Saudi already owns BT and BP in the U.K. they buy billions in arms off you. they own you already. You are allies on the world stage. Arguing about whose worse is feeble when that horse has already long bolted and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

stevoc

It's amazing how some paint this as good news, isn't it? I would rather my club be relegated than taken over by that lot. feck football if it's allowed to happen.

Same with City and PSG. These state owned clubs are a disgrace to the sport.
It is amazing that anyone outside Newcastle could see this as a positive for the game. And yet you get clowns on here who say these takeover's are good for the sport as it encourages competition.

Ali Dia

It is amazing that anyone outside Newcastle could see this as a positive for the game. And yet you get clowns on here who say these takeover's are good for the sport as it encourages competition.
i don’t think it’s good for the sport at all but surprise football welcomes money over morals, again. That’s all there is to it. All Billionaires are filthy if you look hard enough. You’re trying to put them into classes of good and bad. when your own government is already in bed with them it’s more than a bit late for anyone to be getting judgemental about a football club. That argument is over

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Who exactly from SA is planning to buy Newcastle?
It’s MBS and the public investment fund by the sounds of things. It’s not good news at all because they will 100% do a city/PSG and as other posters pointed out it’ll just make city spend even more but claiming they shouldn’t be allowed own a football club on moral grounds when they already own a percentage of the countries resources and industry just seems redundant to me at this stage.

they also have a stake/partnership with United

Last edited:

Guy Incognito

Who exactly from SA is planning to buy Newcastle?
MBS, using Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund. Amanda Staveley has acted broker for the deal, as she did with Man City.

I'm not sure what other 'states' will get involved in investing in a PL club other than the gulf ones. I can't see Russia dipping into its Direct Investment Fund.

Last edited:

stevoc

i don’t think it’s good for the sport at all but surprise football welcomes money over morals, again. That’s all there is to it.
To be fair mate that post wasn't directed towards you. I wasn't saying you think it's good for competition.

All Billionaires are filthy if you look hard enough. You’re trying to put them into classes of good and bad. when your own government is already in bed with them it’s more than a bit late for anyone to be getting judgemental about a football club. That argument is over
No I actually wasn't trying to put them into classes of anything. If any sensible person were to try that they would only come up with bad, worse and despicable.

Your argument makes little or no sense when it involves some tenuous link with the US and/or UK governments for reasons that no one can ever explain. Which is why it all falls apart after a few simple questions are asked and not answered.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
i don’t think it’s good for the sport at all but surprise football welcomes money over morals, again. That’s all there is to it. All Billionaires are filthy if you look hard enough. You’re trying to put them into classes of good and bad. when your own government is already in bed with them it’s more than a bit late for anyone to be getting judgemental about a football club. That argument is over
Football welcomes money over morals - that is and has been the founding principle and the core theme of football or professional sports - in general. Otherwise, you can listen to philospohical debates.

As you say it, this has been always the case. FIFA was one of the prime culprits of this, when they awarded world cups to dictatorships in Argentina and Chile.

Drizzle

If this goes through, United become the 4th wealthiest club in England.

Not only that but a club with greedy and incompetent owners that are extremely reluctant to properly invest in reaching the top.

Long term this does not bode well. That's leaving aside the morality issues, of which there are many.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If this goes through, United become the 4th wealthiest club in England.

Not only that but a club with greedy and incompetent owners that are extremely reluctant to properly invest in reaching the top.

Long term this does not bode well. That's leaving aside the morality issues, of which there are many.
Aren't Leicester and Villa's owners wealthier than ours too?

Status
Not open for further replies.