Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
The league is rotten with shady owners allready anyway so try and see the positives - money spend on newcastle is better than money spend on military or the newest tools of oppression.

InfiniteBoredom

I'm sure you never spent a penny during that time..
We were 4th in net spend by the end of the 90s.

There’s a massive difference between us then and current Bayern. Even within the PL, prior to you hitting the jackpot, we didn’t get a single first teamer off primary rivals like Arsenal or Liverpool, and that didn’t change until the RvP transfer (or if you want to stretch the definition of ‘rival’, Carrick in 06 or Berbatov in 08).

wolvored

Having multiple super rich owners makes the league a lot more interesting that just having one or two. We could be looking at title fights with Chelsea, City, Newcastle, United in constant contention and teams like Liverpool also in the running.
Then us, Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs, battling for the Europa spots.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Aren't Leicester and Villa's owners wealthier than ours too?
In the Premier League the clubs with wealthier owners than Man United are: Man City, Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs, Villa, Arsenal, Wolves. Up until they got relegated so are Sheffield United.

That means if Newcastle are bought, Man United will have the 9th wealthiest owners in the Premier League.

However, Man United have the least amount of wealth of any club in the Premier League due to their debt, but are also the wealthiest in terms of profit and revenue.

Dr. StrangeHate

MBS, using Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund. Amanda Staveley has acted broker for the deal, as she did with Man City.

I'm not sure what other 'states' will get involved in investing in a PL club other than the gulf ones. I can't see Russia dipping into its Direct Investment Fund.
Wasn't she also the villian in The Little Mermaid (cartoon version)?

RUCK4444

Important month for Newcastle, if they win the court Case this month , the takeover will go trough.

The better Question will be , what does that mean for the PL, the Saudis aren't here to make money and won't accept anything less then trophies.
And people shout at me when I say I want them as owners... :(

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
To be fair mate that post wasn't directed towards you. I wasn't saying you think it's good for competition.

No I actually wasn't trying to put them into classes of anything. If any sensible person were to try that they would only come up with bad, worse and despicable.

Your argument makes little or no sense when it involves some tenuous link with the US and/or UK governments for reasons that no one can ever explain. Which is why it all falls apart after a few simple questions are asked and not answered.
tenuous links between something you don’t want to happen and what is already happening all around you.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
And people shout at me when I say I want them as owners... :(
It all comes down to what you are willing to tolerate for success, my wife's best friend went to Saudi for work (nurse), they should have no part in modern society IMO, which of course counts for very little.

stevoc

tenuous links between something you don’t want to happen and what is already happening all around you.
Genuinely have no idea what point if any you are trying to make at this stage mate.

Simple question do you think the Saudi Royals family buying a football club would be a bad thing?

If yes (or even no) what relvance does the US government have in such a discussion?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They should have stopped City, too late now. The door has been open. At least we can have an alternating colour scheme for the soulless trophy parades.

RUCK4444

Yeah it's old toss-up between wanting owners with large pockets who are ambitious about the team winning trophies and supporting murderous tyrannical regimes. It really is a tricky one.
Except it really is tricky for a club as unique as ours, where the purchase price makes it impossible to find a buyer (one that doesn’t seek a crippling financial return, far greater than the owners we have now.)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Except it really is tricky for a club as unique as ours, where the purchase price makes it impossible to find a buyer (one that doesn’t seek a crippling financial return, far greater than the owners we have now.)
Its not tricky, its pretty simple, any owner of any company in the west, who has connections or influence over a regime that uses public capital punishment or dismemberment should have no place in the UK or ANY civilised society, no matter how much dirty money they have. I would go further but it wouldn't be wise.

RUCK4444

Because there is more to life and football than trophies.
I don’t want the Saudi’s, they are just the only better alternative to the Yanks.

Im just honest enough to voice my opinion on it.

If the governing bodies sanctioned them fit for ownership then why should i clamber to some moral high ground when atrocities happen in every country the world over.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don’t want the Saudi’s, they are just the only better alternative to the Yanks.

If the governing bodies sanctioned them fit for ownership then why should i clamber to some moral high ground when atrocities happen in every country the world over.
Ummmmmm are you serious? The governing bodies are just as bad here in there greed for money, but if you can support an owner who has links to the barbarity of some Saudi states in your pursuit for footballing glory, these states behead, dismember, stone and blind their citizens publicly, its actually advertised in the local shops.

Withnail

Are you suggesting others aren't being honest?

It all depends what you consider to be better, I suppose. The Glazers are a bit crap and have a lot to answer for but genocide and the persecution of minorities isn't on the list. I'd consider that to be infinitely preferable.

OleGunnar20

How anyone could want owners such as these I don't know.

Yes Ashley is a cnut. Yes he treats his employees like dirt. But is your club being successful really worth supporting a horrific regime responsible for the torture, oppression and overall misery of countless people?

No, of course it isn't. I hope this doesn't go through, but it's all a little too late anyway really isn't it.

RUCK4444

I'll probably lose most of my interest in the Premier League when this happens.
Except it happened when City got took over.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. They fecked up when City got took over, what’s the point of only having one super rich oil backed club, at least make it a fair(er) competition.

I’d prefer to see a sprint where every sprinter was doping instead of just one (the one who happens to be winning currently.)

What’s the alternative, we all step aside and allow City to sweep up PL trophies? Nah feck it, let it burn.

RUCK4444

Are you suggesting others aren't being honest?

It all depends what you consider to be better, I suppose. The Glazers are a bit crap and have a lot to answer for but genocide and the persecution of minorities isn't on the list. I'd consider that to be infinitely preferable.
Didn’t say that. I’ve always said I respect the reasoning why others don’t want the Saudi’s, I just don’t happen share their level of dogmatism on the subject.

I meant I’m honest enough with my own opinion to express it and take the flack, I understand it’s not shared by many here. But I do think there would probably be a majority outside of Caf-life that would back the move, or it would be a close run thing.

Castia

Important month for Newcastle, if they win the court Case this month , the takeover will go trough.

The better Question will be , what does that mean for the PL, the Saudis aren't here to make money and won't accept anything less then trophies.

It will be City version 2 if it goes through.

Will probably take a few years but if this goes through they'll want to win the lot, they aren't interested in a mid table battle and will throw whatever resources are needed to make it happen.

RUCK4444

Yes Ashley is a cnut. Yes he treats his employees like dirt. But is your club being successful really worth supporting a horrific regime responsible for the torture, oppression and overall misery of countless people?

No, of course it isn't. I hope this doesn't go through, but it's all a little too late anyway really isn't it.
Really? Who supports the owners of their club?

Do we ‘support’ the Glazers?

Do Arsenal fans ‘support’ Kroenke?

Its totally out of our control and nothing to do with the fanbase. I think this is the key ingredient and cause between fan opinion on who owns their club.

Not a single fan on earth ‘supports’ their clubs owners. They support the club and team.

Tarrou

Its not tricky, its pretty simple, any owner of any company in the west, who has connections or influence over a regime that uses public capital punishment or dismemberment should have no place in the UK or ANY civilised society, no matter how much dirty money they have. I would go further but it wouldn't be wise.
the UK is already way beyond that point though

RUCK4444

Ummmmmm are you serious? The governing bodies are just as bad here in there greed for money, but if you can support an owner who has links to the barbarity of some Saudi states in your pursuit for footballing glory, these states behead, dismember, stone and blind their citizens publicly, its actually advertised in the local shops.
I just want my club to be able to spend its own wealth, not be leached upon. Show me one alternative, one.

If you think these things you list only happen in Saudi and that’s enough for you to hate my opinion then fair enough.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The West was corrupted a long time ago with all the money from the East. All the moral outcrying I just don’t really understand.

Posh Red

I got some bad news for you

Withnail

Didn’t say that. I’ve always said I respect the reasoning why others don’t want the Saudi’s, I just don’t happen share their level of dogmatism on the subject.

I meant I’m honest enough with my own opinion to express it and take the flack, I understand it’s not shared by many here. But I do think there would probably be a majority outside of Caf-life that would back the move, or it would be a close run thing.
Fair enough.

I suppose it depends who you're talking about. From what I've heard the match going fans would not be for it.

I maybe wrong but I would have thought that the Caf and Reddit would be fairly representative of fans outside of that and the sentiment seems to be that the majority are against it.

If it's casual fans who are just tuning in for the game and not all that invested beyond that, I wouldn't expect them to be bothered but I wouldn't give much credence to their opinion either.

RUCK4444

It’s not even like any single fan is signing-off on the atrocities that go on there by agreeing to this, the Saudi’s owning Newcastle or United or any other club has zero effect on those things.

Likewise every single fan has zero influence on who owns their club.

People make it seem like fans who would ‘accept’ Saudi ownership just don’t care about those issues.

Withnail

I just want my club to be able to spend its own wealth, not be leached upon. Show me one alternative, one.

If you think these things you list only happen in Saudi and that’s enough for you to hate my opinion then fair enough.
You're whitewashing a bit here.

Terrible things happen all over the world, nobody is disputing that. However, when the prospective owners are the driving force behind those terrible things then it's a different situation altogether.

Withnail

It’s not even like any single fan is signing-off on the atrocities that go on there by agreeing to this, the Saudi’s owning Newcastle or United or any other club has zero effect on those things.

Likewise every single fan has zero influence on who owns their club.

People make it seem like fans who would ‘accept’ Saudi ownership just don’t care about those issues.
You would be giving legitimacy to the perpetrators of those atrocities and a platform for them to promote themselves as some kind of benevolent force.

RUCK4444

Fair enough.

I suppose it depends who you're talking about. From what I've heard the match going fans would not be for it.

I maybe wrong but I would have thought that the Caf and Reddit would be fairly representative of fans outside of that and the sentiment seems to be that the majority are against it.

If it's casual fans who are just tuning in for the game and not all that invested beyond that, I wouldn't expect them to be bothered but I wouldn't give much credence to their opinion either.
Speaking for myself, I’m match-going and back it, from a purely Manchester United wellbeing perspective.

It’s driven through a fear of what may be, we are in a pretty unique position where the wrong set of owners could do us massively and irreparable damage imo.

Ive always said I don’t want a penny of their oil money, I just want United to operate to its fullest (and feckin hard earned) potential. I don’t see that happening, in fact only the entire opposite unless we are state backed.

R'hllor

If their fan base dont mind, good for them, its whatever either way.

RUCK4444

You're whitewashing a bit here.

Terrible things happen all over the world, nobody is disputing that. However, when the prospective owners are the driving force behind those terrible things then it's a different situation altogether.
How different? How much do we literally put on their doorstep from the outside looking in?

This is why I said ‘if’ they were given the green light from the governing bodies. Because surely they won’t if they are unquestionably responsible for all you say?

Withnail

How different? How much do we literally put on their doorstep from the outside looking in?

This is why I said ‘if’ they were given the green light from the governing bodies. Because surely they won’t if they are unquestionably responsible for all you say?
That's quite a naive thing to say to be honest.

If they were given the green light it wouldn't prove to me that I was wrong. It would prove to me that the governing bodies are completely morally bankrupt and that the fit and proper person's test is even more of a joke then already suspected.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
It will be City version 2 if it goes through.

Will probably take a few years but if this goes through they'll want to win the lot, they aren't interested in a mid table battle and will throw whatever resources are needed to make it happen.
They have a lot more money than City's owners too.
They will win the league within 3 or 4 years IMO.
Imagine the likes of Mbappe playing for Newcastle :lol:

Blueman

Supports
Man City
There's "throwing money at it" and there's good business sense. PSG throw money at it. City owners have vision and money

GenericUtdfan

The West was corrupted a long time ago with all the money from the East. All the moral outcrying I just don’t really understand.
Oh, so it was the West that was corrupted by the East now, was it? Righteo.

Anyway, I’d love us to be owned by the Saudis. We would actually get back to being a respected club. Under the Glazers, a top four challenge and a couple of tin pot trophies is the most we can do. The writing is on the wall and I keep telling myself not to be shocked by the arrogance and ignorance of United fans in general, but seriously? It’s time to wake up. We are not on a level playing field having the Glazers in charge; the managers they’ve hired, the players they’ve recruited and upper management they’ve installed are an embarrassment to the sport. It’s been 8 seasons since Ferguson retired and we’ve shown very little, if any improvement. The level of football we play is farcical. Rivals are laughing at us as long as the Glazers are in charge. If the Saudis buy us that sentiment will change overnight.

Good on Newcastle if this goes through. Our direct rivals, Liverpool and City, have been dunking on us for the past five years and I’m sick of it. When Newcastle start winning things under the Saudis, that’ll be preferable. If that happens, I hope top reds are yet able to hold their heads up high and proclaim what a great club we still are... because we are owned by a bunch of American loan sharks instead.

In the words of Gary Neville... JOKE...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.