Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro19

We are chained by them and you can't see it. #SilentDomination

Imagine for a second an owner that seeks no financial return, allows United the juggernaut that it is to spend every. single. penny we generate on the squad and facilities.

That in a nutshell is exactly what City, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern all benefit from. If you can't see the benefit in that setup for a club of our standing in the game then it's a pointless discussion.

Whatever moral stance you have on it makes zero difference. You aren't protesting here, your willing your club to edge towards obscurity when in reality the Saudi's owning a club of our size with all the media coverage it attracts would only serve to improve their behaviour and limit atrocities (as I've pointed out previously.)
Integration with western culture is the only way to make them look introspectively at their traditions and atrocities and change them for the better.

Or of course we can all sit in our armchairs on football forums patting each other on the back for sharing a better outlook on life whilst wagging our fingers at nations who don't yet share our outlook, meanwhile our club continues to be shackled unlike other clubs of our size in Europe. The latter brings nothing to the party, it's a backward mindset.
Or you know realize that there are things that matter much more than football and winning at all costs. I watch football for entertainment and I support United because I have an emotional connection to the club and it's culture and history, much of what will be ruined if we were to be owned by the Saudis. Also our club isn't shackled by any accounts, we've spent poorly in the market but we certainly don't need unlimited sugar daddy funding to compete at any levels.

Also funny of you to mention Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern to backup your argument, all 3 of them are owned by the fans who would have much much stronger resistance to be sold to scum like the Saudi royal family as a plaything.

Also a moral stance makes zero difference for YOU, don't try to pass it off as a fact.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Imagine for a second an owner that seeks no financial return, allows United the juggernaut that it is to spend every. single. penny we generate on the squad and facilities.

That in a nutshell is exactly what City, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern all benefit from. If you can't see the benefit in that setup for a club of our standing in the game then it's a pointless discussion.

Whatever moral stance you have on it makes zero difference. You aren't protesting here, your willing your club to edge towards obscurity when in reality the Saudi's owning a club of our size with all the media coverage it attracts would only serve to improve their behaviour and limit atrocities (as I've pointed out previously.)
Integration with western culture is the only way to make them look introspectively at their traditions and atrocities and change them for the better.

Or of course we can all sit in our armchairs on football forums patting each other on the back for sharing a better outlook on life whilst wagging our fingers at nations who don't yet share our outlook, meanwhile our club continues to be shackled unlike other clubs of our size in Europe. The latter brings nothing to the party, it's a backward mindset.
Hasn't the current situation taught you anything?

Despite what Shankly said there ARE more important things than football.

RUCK4444

Or you know realize that there are things that matter much more than football and winning at all costs. I watch football for entertainment and I support United because I have an emotional connection to the club and it's culture and history, much of what will be ruined if we were to be owned by the Saudis. Also our club isn't shackled by any accounts, we've spent poorly in the market but we certainly don't need unlimited sugar daddy funding to compete at any levels.

Also funny of you to mention Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern to backup your argument, all 3 of them are owned by the fans who would have much much stronger resistance to be sold to scum like the Saudi royal family as a plaything.

Also a moral stance makes zero difference for YOU, don't try to pass it off as a fact.
There is only winning. Tell that to Busby, Fergie, Charlton, Law, Best, there is only winning.

People need to get a grip, the owners of a club are just the custodians at that given time, the club is still the club and it only ever represents the fans.

Football is sport, sport is for entertainment and it's only purpose it to win and provide entertainment. Morals, human rights, blah blah shouldn't be muddied with it.

There is enough for us to battle over on a daily basis why bring sport into it. We aren't going to have any say in who owns us and therefore it categorically has no reflection on what we stand for morally.

Do you sit at home and discuss how City and PSG fans are all tarnished and unequivocally guilty by association to their clubs owners? No you don't. neither would oppo fans think that of us. Especially when all we would be doing is spending existing money we self generate already, as opposed to other sugar daddy clubs who wouldn't be competing unless their owners had deep pockets.

RUCK4444

Hasn't the current situation taught you anything?

Despite what Shankly said there ARE more important things than football.
There most certainly is my friend... but they are totally unrelated.

If we live by your way of thinking none of us should attend football in general, there are people starving and clubs are owned by people who have no doubt done terrible things. Let's just down tools, there is too much dirty money in the game, football should only stand as a shining light to morality and unless it conforms to those unrealistic standards we should resort back to Sunday league. Am I doing this right?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
There is only winning. Tell that to Busby, Fergie, Charlton, Law, Best, there is only winning.

People need to get a grip, the owners of a club are just the custodians at that given time, the club is still the club and it only ever represents the fans.

Football is sport, sport is for entertainment and it's only purpose it to win and provide entertainment. Morals, human rights, blah blah shouldn't be muddied with it.

There is enough for us to battle over on a daily basis why bring sport into it. We aren't going to have any say in who owns us and therefore it categorically has no reflection on what we stand for morally.

Do you sit at home and discuss how City and PSG fans are all tarnished and unequivocally guilty by association to their clubs owners? No you don't. neither would oppo fans think that of us. Especially when all we would be doing is spending existing money we self generate already, as opposed to other sugar daddy clubs who wouldn't be competing unless their owners had deep pockets.
To quote Connor McGregor. Who the feck is this guy?

stevoc

That's the whole point of why the Saudi's were the ONLY viable option for United, an owner not seeking financial return. They pretty much don't exist. That's why we are stuck with the Yankee vampires.

I hope each and every one of the morally sound bunch on here enjoy every moment of the money sucking stewardship of the Glazers over the next 10 years or so.

What Newcastle can do with Saudi owners is frightening. They have a much stronger following and match going fanbase in a single club major city. That is an excellent starting point, much stronger than what City had as a comparison.

A few seasons to get into Europe, money rolls in for TV rights, few more seasons and the sky is the limit. Especially if the FFP rules are relaxed for clubs in the aftermath of COVID_19.

Feck me that's the perfect time to buy them.
Indeed and their fanbase will grow if they have success, with many glory hunters heartbroken that the Saudis didn't buy their club switching their support.

The Cat

There most certainly is my friend... but they are totally unrelated.

If we live by your way of thinking none of us should attend football in general, there are people starving and clubs are owned by people who have no doubt done terrible things. Let's just down tools, there is too much dirty money in the game, football should only stand as a shining light to morality and unless it conforms to those unrealistic standards we should resort back to Sunday league. Am I doing this right?
Hahaha you WUM.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Sigh. Another one. So in ten years time, UAE and Saudi Arabia will be battling it out for the title while the rest of us play catch up.

The day Liverpool is bought by a regime that murders homosexuals and where women have no rights is the day I stop supporting them.

TheLord

"Big four" ended at least half a decade ago when City (and Spurs to a smaller extent) broke into the top four regularly.

By big four, I meant (in alphabetical order) Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United. I apologise for the lack of clarity in my post.

RUCK4444

Indeed and their fanbase will grow if they have success, with many glory hunters heartbroken that the Saudis didn't buy their club switching their support.
Ironically I'm the one saying I would support us being bought by them. A lot here would apparently stop supporting us :rolleyes: Oh the drama.

If anything I'm one to stick through thick and thin, see my posts on Ole throughout the constant siege of 'real fans' publicly hammering a club legend.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I think what United fans are most worried about is that the Saudis will pump in so much money that Newcastle become a second City, or even better than them, leaving us with almost no chance of the title.

I wonder if there's a clue that might not happen in Amanda Staveley and the Reuben brothers having 20% between them, as they strike me as investors hoping to take money out rather than put money in. I don't see why the Saudis would pump a billion in for their advantage, if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm wrong about them, or maybe it's structured in some way that everyone can still be happy, I honestly don't know, it's just a thought.

Oh, please don't tell me about FFP, it's bollocks as far as I'm concerned.

RUCK4444

Sigh. Another one. So in ten years time, UAE and Saudi Arabia will be battling it out for the title while the rest of us play catch up.

The day Liverpool is bought by a regime that murders homosexuals and where women have no rights is the day I stop supporting them.
What if, we expand our self limiting opinions on everything we don't understand or agree with and imagine integrating more with them and positively influencing them towards western culture and human rights?

What it we used football, a universal medium, to tighten our relationship with SA.

Or just keep them at arms length and continue hating them and in turn they will be ever more insular and produce further generations of Saudi people forged in their older traditions.

Nah what am I talking about.

The Cat

Ironically I'm the one saying I would support us being bought by them. A lot here would apparently stop supporting us :rolleyes: Oh the drama.

If anything I'm one to stick through thick and thin, see my posts on Ole throughout the constant siege of 'real fans' publicly hammering a club legend.
Generalisation much?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
What if, we expand our self limiting opinions on everything we don't understand or agree with and imagine integrating more with them and positively influencing them towards western culture and human rights?

What it we used football, a universal medium, to tighten our relationship with SA.

Or just keep them at arms length and continue hating them and in turn they will be ever more insular and produce further generations of Saudi people forged in their older traditions.

Nah what am I talking about.
Self limiting opinion on what I don’t understand? As in I don’t understand why they kill homosexuals and my opinion is that it’s bad? I’m all for integration and positive influence, but do you really think that MBS buying Newcastle will make any difference to human rights in Saudi Arabia? I see this as a publicity stunt and nothing else.

Baneofthegame

I think what United fans are most worried about is that the Saudis will pump in so much money that Newcastle become a second City, or even better than them, leaving us with almost no chance of the title.

I wonder if there's a clue that might not happen in Amanda Staveley and the Reuben brothers having 20% between them, as they strike me as investors hoping to take money out rather than put money in. I don't see why the Saudis would pump a billion in for their advantage, if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm wrong about them, or maybe it's structured in some way that everyone can still be happy, I honestly don't know, it's just a thought.

Oh, please don't tell me about FFP, it's bollocks as far as I'm concerned.
It’s going to be a lot harder in my opinion to be a new City/PSG due to FFP now I’m my opinion, they still have to balance their books and avoid doping.

Will be interesting to see no doubt.

stevoc

Well i wasn't necessarily speaking about you specifically, just fair weather football fans in general. I wasn't even thinking of just United fans.

James Peril

No it isn’t. You’ll follow them just like you do today without even thinking about it when you sign the first galactico. When someone reminds you of this post, you’ll conveniently site some semi-truth about your chaps not being like the other ones. Just like evey United-fan would do in the same situation. Or Newcastle or City for that matter. Besides, you could make a pretty long list of shit going about in the States too couldn’t you?

Pyro19

Winning at any cost isn't really winning, if you are having a hard time grasping your head around this there really isn't a point to be having any discussion.

It's not like we're bleeding money and going into administration that we need the Saudis so badly, nor can being associated with Manchester United somehow change the way the Saudi regime operates. I know some "fans" want to see United purchase a shiny new toy every season with the money that MAY be pumped into the club but that's where people can have different opinions. I quite like our current strategy of bedding in homegrown players while buying proven quality.

Just because City and PSG fans support sugar daddies bringing them out in the spotlight from obscurity we should do the same? How does opposition fans come into this argument?

It's a simple concept - It's not that I don't like the Saudis, I detest them and the way they govern and fund terrorism across the world. I would certainly stop supporting United and buying merchandise if there was ever even a hint of suspicion that my money was directly funding their regime across the world. I do the same with Nestle.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
No it isn’t. You’ll follow them just like you do today without even thinking about it when you sign the first galactico. When someone reminds you of this post, you’ll conveniently site some semi-truth about your chaps not being like the other ones. Just like evey United-fan would do in the same situation. Or Newcastle or City for that matter. Besides, you could make a pretty long list of shit going about in the States too couldn’t you?
Speak for yourself. Plenty of people would stop supporting the club. United fans formed FC United of Manchester, (average match day attendance of 3500), just because the Glazers bought the club. So imagine how many people would stop being United fans if the Saudi's bought the club, bearing in mind the Saudi's from a moral stand point are far worse than the Glazers.

RUCK4444

Self limiting opinion on what I don’t understand? As in I don’t understand why they kill homosexuals and my opinion is that it’s bad? I’m all for integration and positive influence, but do you really think that MBS buying Newcastle will make any difference to human rights in Saudi Arabia? I see this as a publicity stunt and nothing else.
No, as in there are more positives than negatives when it comes to Saudi’s integrating more with western society.

I mean that’s not even a debate. The more they integrate with us the more positive effect we can influence.

They are a nation that knows nothing else but their own traditions with very little outside influence.

ROFLUTION

Speak for yourself mate.

And also feck the Saudis so fecking much for creating a sportswashing competition in a completely different country with so many historical clubs including ours that will be pushed aside becoming the losers because of this.

Really wish there was some kind of rule where the democracy of clubs in PL could say NO to take-overs like this, or throw them out.

FECK the Saudis. Feck Newcastle, Feck City and everything they stand for.

ROFLUTION

It’s going to be a lot harder in my opinion to be a new City/PSG due to FFP now I’m my opinion, they still have to balance their books and avoid doping.

A couple of Picassos as gifts on the down-low would settle it. Probably just a matter of the right way of setting up some cayman island companies in your mom/dad's names with some certain conditions.

You NEVER see City players complain because of wages. Rarely (ever?) has there been a Rooney/Rio/De Gea contract situation. Something fishy about it.

Salfordlad70

It's pretty depressing. Watching City and Chelsea winning trophies using their filthy oil money makes it hard to understand how their fans can feel comfortable with it. What Liverpool have done in recent times is quite incredible and you guys should be proud.

Brightonian

I normally hate to disagree with a post without explaining in detail why, but this is genuinely such a load of shit I can't even attempt it.

Again, just because you seem to have missed it: if I'd been born in Saudi Arabia the state would be putting me to death. Trust me, I'm not opposed to them buying into football to get pats on the back.

Champagne Football

They can have Alexis Sanchez for free for a start. Wouldn't be surprised if Pogba suddenly turned around and said he's always supported Newcastle due to his hero Ben Arfa playing there before. He will go to whoever offers the most cash.

Jose is another who will start ranting on as to how managing Newcastle has always been a dream.

Plenty of attractive free transfers available this summer and all of them will be fluttering their eyelashes at Newcastle's new owners - Dries Mertens, Vertongen, Cavani, Giroud, Willian, Lallana etc

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
No thread is complete without someone taking a dig at Pogba.

Also the way this deal is structured, it does look more like an investment. Amanda has been looking for investment partners, without promise of ROI, why would someone invest. Also if they wanted to make a statement, why buy with non significant partners.

Ace Krampus

Politics and morals aside for a second, the idea, objectively speaking, of increased parity in the league is lovely. Makes for a better product, day in and day out.

Unfortunately, if you don't seek to achieve that parity by implementing some sort of salary cap or hard transfer cap, this is the only way a sagging club like Newcastle can aim to be meaningfully better; by finding a cash-rich owner who will spend out the nose to make up ground. They haven't had the resources and they don't have the name/cache.

And those types of people are rarely "good." MBS is probably worse than most. A megalomaniac who runs an oppressive regime without regard for other human beings. But who's a "good" option? Does Ronan Farrow have billions to spend buying a club?

Reactions: Penna

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Excuse my ignorance but what sort of things are they accused of doing? Murder?
That's small stuff. How about sponsoring terrorism, using famine as a weapon of war, chopping up a man in an embassy, public executions. The list is endless.

reddevilchennai

I wasn't commenting on who is worse.

It's more of an investment than plaything which is Mancity or PSG. Saudi fund has huge disinvestment target and this seems more in line with that. Not sure MBS is even involved, it's all guess work right now.
You mentioned that Saudi Arabia is politically different to UAE and Qatar. I said that they are worse than them.
Excuse my ignorance but what sort of things are they accused of doing? Murder?
In Saudi Arabia:
1) Human rights oppression in their country.
2) Women in Saudi irrespective of their religion should cover their face & body with burqa. Women are oppressed to the core. They were not allowed to drive a year ago.
3) No freedom for people to raise their voice against the monarchy of government. No free press.
4) Killing within their family to capture and seize power. They kill their cousins and half-brothers.
5) Old practices like public beheading is still practiced in Saudi Arabia.
6) They are a Sunny Muslim majority country and they severely oppress Shia Muslims. Recently beheaded a 6 year old Shia Muslim boy.
7) No alcohol/No pork in Saudi
8) During Ramadan fasting period irrespective of your religion, you are not allowed to drink or eat in the public.

Outside Saudi Arabia:
1) Was main reason for Yemen, Egypt (2011), Syria, etc
2) Sponsors terrorist organisations to throw out ruling party and wants the rebels to capture power and be a puppet to Saudi Arabia.
3) They killed a journalist named Jamal Khashoggi in Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.

KW2006

W.T.F?? Why on Earth. Just why.

You would happily let everything this great club has achieved be resigned to the history books because of some pathetic notion that by our club being owned by bad people makes you somehow guilty by association??

The whole notion, as I say, is pathetic and not grounded in anything that justifies this stance on the topic.

You cannot influence who owns this club, you are not appointing them yourself
You have no say in it,
It doesn’t reflect on you,
You don’t share their beliefs or traditions,
You are not a member of a regime

Is that sinking in? That’s the same for every fan of every club in the land.
Do we look at City fans and think of them as being complicit in whatever their shady owners have done? Do. we. feck.

Sorry for ranting and it’s obviously not just you I’m aiming this at but the whole feckin moral stance nonsense is just that, a feckin nonsense.
There are somethings more important than football.

Red Daz

So happy they aren’t buying us, I would stop supporting us 100% , I thought it was a matter of time so I’m over the moon it won’t happen, Newcastle fans....I feel for you, out of the frying pan ......,

Status
Not open for further replies.