Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

caid

They should but they won't.

I have to say I find the reaction to this takeover from some Newcastle fans incredibly disheartening. I would rather my team go out of business than be owned by this lot. Football really is in the shitter.
I was pretty surprised by their reaction too. Expected them to be much more wary than they seem to be. 'Better them than us' has been my reaction. I think the time to bring some standards to football ownership has kind of passed sadly. This is kind of the natural conclusion to waving Abramovich amongst others through.
Seems a bit meaningless to discuss football standards while ignoring the elephant in the room but hopefully Manchester City's punishment on FFP has some teeth, to limit the effect of their ownership on the competition of the league. From a purely footballing point of view it doesn't need to be a bad thing, Mike Ashley added very little to the league.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Sponsorship rigging is what got City into trouble. Sponsorship deals are now not easy to inflate and there is higher scrutiny now.

Also sponsors will be facing a lot of criticism if they aligned with Newcastle under Saudi even if Saudi PIF has stake in the company. It's not good for business and I don't think they will risk their investment in other companies just for a football club. PL will also face more scrutiny than ever. Every time Saudi Arabia drop a bomb in Yemen, Newcastle and PL will be mentioned.
It's much easier to hit football club and PL because of wide public audience rather than some wall street company in which Saudi owns some stake.

This isn't UAE or Qatar. Both of these countries have far better image when compared to Saudi. This deal will be disastrous for PL in long run.

Sport clubs is kind of cultural heritage of a country and PL with its dodgy ownership policy has allowed it to destroyed.

dalriada

I hope this does get blocked, the action against City over sponsorship rigging made me think that the authorities had laid down a marker for these oil-state owners. Covid could change this though - it may be a case of turning a blind eye for the time being if you have money to spend on a football club.

Lots of uncertainties, though. The Saudis will be hit by the falling oil price, even if they're not as reliant on oil as they used to be.

At some point, there has to be a reality check. Football has to find a more sustainable model that doesn't just expect rich owners to massively subsidise stupid salaries and transfer fees. Supporters have to stop behaving as if there's a bottomless bank of cash to throw around, regardless of whether the clubs break even or where the money comes from.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Here's a commemorative beer that a decent Newcastle craft brewery are planning.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I hope this does get blocked, the action against City over sponsorship rigging made me think that the authorities had laid down a marker for these oil-state owners. Covid could change this though - it may be a case of turning a blind eye for the time being if you have money to spend on a football club.

Lots of uncertainties, though. The Saudis will be hit by the falling oil price, even if they're not as reliant on oil as they used to be.

At some point, there has to be a reality check. Football has to find a more sustainable model that doesn't just expect rich owners to massively subsidise stupid salaries and transfer fees. Supporters have to stop behaving as if there's a bottomless bank of cash to throw around, regardless of whether the clubs break even or where the money comes from.
If there was ever a time to introduce a world wide salary and transfer cap its now.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This video was directed at the True Geordie who has played down the political side of the takeover but I think it addresses some of the problems with being in favour of this takeover very well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This video was directed at the True Geordie who has played down the political side of the takeover but I think it addresses some of the problems with being in favour of this takeover very well.

His voice and style of speaking was a struggle to get through but he makes a lot of good points.

Flying high

A fair summary. I watched the true geordie video he's talking about and had to turn off after a while.

His comparison of Ashley and MBS was laughable.

stevoc

Yeah he makes a very good point at 4:38 that is lost on a few on here who were forever repeating that fans voicing their distaste at a Saudi takeover would make no difference.

He also explained very concisely the difference between a football club being owned by an American businessman and being owned by the Saudi state. Not that that should need explained but many on here still seem to have problems grasping it.

Champagne Football

Newcastle will have the best of the best in PR to portray a squeeky clean board and owners. Similar things were said about the UAE and Russian owners when they took over City and Chelsea. That these clubs were now owned by corrupt mafias but overtime those images were mostly forgotten by on field success.

The Saudi bloke who everyone is talking about will never be at the games. He'll be in the background while some likeable clean cut Saudi associates will become the Saudi faces of the club.

Newcastle don't have a lot of profit they can spend on new players, but I guess they can sign as many top class free transfers as they want such as Cavani, Mertens, Vertonghen, Lallana, Ryan Fraser etc?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Newcastle will have the best of the best in PR to portray a squeeky clean board and owners. Similar things were said about the UAE and Russian owners when they took over City and Chelsea. That these clubs were now owned by corrupt mafias but overtime those images were mostly forgotten by on field success.

The Saudi bloke who everyone is talking about will never be at the games. He'll be in the background while some likeable clean cut Saudi associates will become the Saudi faces of the club.

Newcastle don't have a lot of profit they can spend on new players, but I guess they can sign as many top class free transfers as they want such as Cavani, Mertens, Vertonghen, Lallana, Ryan Fraser etc?
The whole thing is disgusting. How is this being allowed? And how on earth can any fan celebrate any on field success with blood money? I would rather my team went out of business.

RedDevil@84

The whole thing is disgusting. How is this being allowed? And how on earth can any fan celebrate any on field success with blood money? I would rather my team went out of business.
:lol:
Hyperbole much. It is just a business deal. As long as it is a lawful deal, it can't be stopped.
The so called blood money is everywhere. Many nations including UK make profits from business with the Saudis. So pretty much people of these nations are all using the blood money in some form or other.

Strelok

Hyperbole much. It is just a business deal. As long as it is a lawful deal, it can't be stopped.
The so called blood money is everywhere. Many nations including UK make profits from business with the Saudis. So pretty much people of these nations are all using the blood money in some form or other.
Yeah. Sometime I really wonder why so many are against the idea of a PL club owned by the Saudis. Of course I'm not with them on topic such as their law or some of their "mentioned behaviours". However if the gas you're filling your car now come from the oil imported from the Saudis, would you stop using it? Not mentioning various products that are made from oil like plastic, chemicals etc. What is the difference ?

JohnnyLaw

Yeah. Sometime I really wonder why so many are against the idea of a PL club owned by the Saudis. Of course I'm not with them on topic such as their law or some of their "mentioned behaviours". However if the gas you're filling your car now come from the oil imported from the Saudis, would you stop using it? Not mentioning various products that are made from oil like plastic, chemicals etc. What is the difference ?
Perhaps there isn’t one beyond conciousness. But one could hope that it would provoke a reaction. In sweden when it became public knowledge that Sweden were exporting weapons to Saudi Arabia which could be used in the war in Yemen restrictions were enforced quite quickly. We were slower than some of our neighbours such as Germany, Norway and Denmark though.
So I think it’s been shown that if you’re concious about these issues and you care then it’s possible to influence them. But that’s just my narrow and perhaps naive take on it.

stevoc

Of all the counter arguments to people being against the Saudi regime owning the football they support that has to be the dumbest. And thats saying something when its coupled with the fuel argument.

''How do you feel about Saudi atrocities in Yemen Dave?''

''Well i was morally outraged but then i remembered i used a Berol pen in work last week that was in part manufactured with by-products from Saudi Oil. So while i would like to take a moral stance against their actions in Yemen to do so now after using that pen would make me a hypocrite.''

Strelok

Perhaps there isn’t one beyond conciousness. But one could hope that it would provoke a reaction. In sweden when it became public knowledge that Sweden were exporting weapons to Saudi Arabia which could be used in the war in Yemen restrictions were enforced quite quickly. We were slower than some of our neighbours such as Germany, Norway and Denmark though.
So I think it’s been shown that if you’re concious about these issues and you care then it’s possible to influence them. But that’s just my narrow and perhaps naive take on it.
Of all the counter arguments to people being against the Saudi regime owning the football they support that has to be the dumbest. And thats saying something when its coupled with the fuel argument.

''Well i was morally outraged but then i remembered i used a Berol pen in work last week that was in part manufactured with by-products from Saudi Oil. So while i would like to take a moral stance against their actions in Yemen to do so now after using that pen would make me a hypocrite.''
Both you still don't get what I mean. What is the difference between money come from the Saudis and oil come from the Saudis? If you're fine with your country importing oil from them then why you're so against them owning a PL club ? Isn't it all about moral stuffs here?

Luke1995

I wonder why Pocchetino is being reported as first choice over Benitez.

First because Benitez has already been at the club and the fans like him.

Second because Benitez has won a champions league and league titles in Spain.

And lastly, because Pocchetino hasn't won titles in his managerial career (correct me if i'm wrong)

If Newcastle's goal is to win titles, I can't understand why they may think Pocchetino is a better manager.

RedDevil@84

If Newcastle's goal is to win titles, I can't understand why they may think Pocchetino is a better manager.
Maybe Newcastle's goal is to progress slowly to titles, rather than win titles from next season itself.

And when did Rafa become a sure shot at a title?

stevoc

Both you still don't get what I mean. What is the difference between money come from the Saudis and oil come from the Saudis? If you're fine with your country importing oil from them then why you're so against them owning a PL club ? Isn't it all about moral stuffs here?
Oh i do it just doesn't make any sense.

As to your question how can you have any idea whether or not people object to Saudi Oil being imported into their country?

You don’t, you have no idea which individuals object to their countries importing Saudi Oil. But i think it's safe to assume if someone would object to the Saudis owning the football club they support then it’s also likely they’re not thrilled about Saudi Oil being imported into their country either. I know im not a fan even though the UK only imports 1-2% of its Oil from SA.

So taking that into account what then is your point?

If your point is if you use Saudi produce you can’t have an opinion on the Saudis then see my last post which explains how ludicrous that stance is.

GiddyUp

I wonder why Pocchetino is being reported as first choice over Benitez.

First because Benitez has already been at the club and the fans like him.

Second because Benitez has won a champions league and league titles in Spain.

And lastly, because Pocchetino hasn't won titles in his managerial career (correct me if i'm wrong)

Maybe because Pochettino right now is probably the better manager due to how far he progressed with Spurs.

Luke1995

Maybe Newcastle's goal is to progress slowly to titles, rather than win titles from next season itself.

And when did Rafa become a sure shot at a title?
Not a sure shot but he has more experience than Pocchetino

Luke1995

Maybe because Pochettino right now is probably the better manager due to how far he progressed with Spurs.
Is it really ? Benitez is in Chinese football now, so I won't judge his ability based on that. Maybe he is as good as he was before.

Strelok

Oh i do it just doesn't make any sense.

As to your question how can you have any idea whether or not people object to Saudi Oil being imported into their country?

You don’t, you have no idea which individuals object to their countries importing Saudi Oil. But i think it's safe to assume if someone would object to the Saudis owning the football club they support then it’s also likely they’re not thrilled about Saudi Oil being imported into their country either. I know im not a fan even though the UK only imports 1-2% of its Oil from SA.

So taking that into account what then is your point?
You ever heard of any protest against Saudi oil in the UK ? Or against doing business with them in general ? Or you can find any post in this very thread saying such ?

As in 2017, the UK exported about £ 4.2 billion of goods to the Saudis and imported about £ 2.4 billion from them. And these numbers just increase each year. Should the UK stop doing that too ?

If your point is if you use Saudi produce you can’t have an opinion on the Saudis then see my last post which explains how ludicrous that stance is.
Well not exactly what I mean. Of course you can have an opinion on them. However if you're fine with using oil from them, then why are you against the money from them ? Could you tell me what is the difference ?

Son

Benitez over Pochettino yeah ok.. not
I’d agree for every club bar Newcastle.

Their fans love him and rightly so. If I was a Newcastle fan I’d rather have Benitez personally.

Unfinished business and all that jazz. It’s not like they are going to miss out on glory down the line either way if the Saudi banks are paying for everything.

I don’t think Poch makes much of a difference in the short term.

stevoc

You ever heard of any protest against Saudi oil in the UK ? Or against doing business with them in general ? Or you can find any post in this very thread saying such ?

As in 2017, the UK exported about £ 4.2 billion of goods to the Saudis and imported about £ 2.4 billion from them. And these numbers just increase each year. Should the UK stop doing that too ?
So if people aren't actively out protesting against it every day then they're ok with it? What?

The UK has actually been importing less and less Saudi Oil in recent times. In 2018 (its less in 2020) it was only 2-3% of imported Oil, for context they imported almost the same amount from Canada.

Well not exactly what I mean. Of course you can have an opinion on them.
Mate this is the third post where you've made it clear thats exactly what you mean. And thanks i do have an opinion on them, and one that isn't affected or undermined in any way by the fact the the government of the country i happen to live in buys and sells goods to the Saudi's.

However if you're fine with using oil from them, then why are you against the money from them ? Could you tell me what is the difference ?

I'm not i literally just said so in the post you are replying to.

Saudi Oil and Saudi money for me are both unwelcome and i'm sure thats the case for many other people too. Now i'm sure theres a lot of other things imported into the UK that are made of the by-products of Saudi Oil. But again see my first reply to you which highlights that.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Difference is, why do people think they want to buy Newcastle? It's sportwashing. It's a distraction from the true horrors of the country.

I would rather Everton went out of business. I've no interest in it. It's shameful.

arthurka

I’d agree for every club bar Newcastle.

Their fans love him and rightly so. If I was a Newcastle fan I’d rather have Benitez personally.

Unfinished business and all that jazz. It’s not like they are going to miss out on glory down the line either way if the Saudi banks are paying for everything.

I don’t think Poch makes much of a difference in the short term.
Benitez played shit football and his results at Newcastle weren't even that good. Bruce has even played better football than Benitez. Don't see what other people see in him. With money coming in I don't see them banking on a boring defense minded manager.

Strelok

Saudi Oil and Saudi money for me are both unwelcome and i'm sure thats the case for many other people too. Now i'm sure theres a lot of other things imported into the UK that are made of the by-products of Saudi Oil. But again see my first reply to you which highlights that.
I see posters like you seem against Saudis money to a point that you can't accept the idea of a PL club to be owned by them. If you're against their money that much so you must be against their oil or whatever come from to the same extent as well I think?

If not then isn't it a bit double standard ? If you can live with using their oil, products from them etc. why you can't live with the idea of a club owned by them?

If yes. My question is simple, would you refuse to use their oil, products, etc. anything that would come from them? Yes/no answer please.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

I read that it in a Paul Choudary routine impression. It was very funny. If it was not intentional I would recommend it. :D

Fingeredmouse

I see posters like you seem against Saudis money to a point that you can't accept the idea of a PL club to be owned by them. If you're against their money that much so you must be against their oil or whatever come from to the same extent as well I think?

If not then isn't it a bit double standard ? If you can live with using their oil, products from them etc. why you can't live with the idea of a club owned by them?

If yes. My question is simple, would you refuse to use their oil, products, etc. anything that would come from them? Yes/no answer please.
He's fecking answered that already.

stevoc

Mate are you on a wind up?

I've already answered that question more than once.

feck me mate you must be on a wind up. Did you even read my previous posts?

To summarize my stance if it wasn't obvious to you already, no i wouldn't knowingly use their Oil/products if i had the choice.

But even if i did, for the third time i invite you to re-read my story about Dave. Which explains how ludicrous it is to suggest that people who do use products made from Saudi Oil can't be against them owning football clubs.

stevoc

I read that it in a Paul Choudary routine impression. It was very funny. If it was not intentional I would recommend it. :D
:lol: yeah because of Chowdhry, Dave is my go to name for imaginary conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.