Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baneofthegame

Will be interesting to see about FFP with the hit to Newcastle’s revenues and how that might affect their spending power more now because of the pandemic.

Son

Benitez played shit football and his results at Newcastle weren't even that good. Bruce has even played better football than Benitez. Don't see what other people see in him. With money coming in I don't see them banking on a boring defense minded manager.
He did pretty well with Newcastle given he had an arm tied behind his back with little money & coaching a side that were around relegation. Hard to play quality football then.

Your just using a trope of overused words here. You missed dinosaur btw and then I come into the argument saying Poch lost his Champions League final and has never won a trophy etc.

Benitez has a proven record of reaching the latter stages when given half a shot.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Will be interesting to see about FFP with the hit to Newcastle’s revenues and how that might affect their spending power more now because of the pandemic.
I think the football world will need their money more than ever this summer. They will be able to buy more good players for less. The timing of all this is perfect for them with ffp. Also what difference does ffp make to them when they aren’t in Europe next year anyway and any fine would be insignificant to them.

Baneofthegame

I think the football world will need their money more than ever this summer. They will be able to buy more good players for less. The timing of all this is perfect for them with ffp. Also what difference does ffp make to them when they aren’t in Europe next year anyway and any fine would be insignificant to them.
Because their ban would be for the following year presumably if they made the CL spots next season?

stevoc

FFP is also in the Premier League and even if it wasn't i think it applies to the previous few years accounts.

arthurka

He did pretty well with Newcastle given he had an arm tied behind his back with little money & coaching a side that were around relegation. Hard to play quality football then.

Your just using a trope of overused words here. You missed dinosaur btw and then I come into the argument saying Poch lost his Champions League final and has never won a trophy etc.

Benitez has a proven record of reaching the latter stages when given half a shot.
Again like I said it's how I feel you are free to have any opinion you want and I am too.

Adam_S

If Paris st Germain can get away with spending £200 million on Neymar and 145 million on Mbappe I don't see what could stop Newcastle from doing the same.
How about this?
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52612785

Saudi Arabia is tripling its value added tax (VAT) as part of austerity measures to support its coronavirus-hit economy.

The government in Riyadh also said it will suspend its cost of living allowance to shore up state finances.

The oil-rich nation has seen its income plummet as the impact of the pandemic has forced down global energy prices.

The kingdom first introduced VAT two years ago as part of efforts to cut its reliance on world crude oil markets.

Saudi Arabia's state news agency said VAT will increase from 5% to 15% as of 1 July, while the cost of living allowance will be suspended from 1 June.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I wonder how the normal working Saudi feels about their public fund buying a football club while having their VAT tripled. Not too happy I'd imagine. They might even protest if their leader didn't have a habit of cutting various vital limbs off people he doesn't like.
I can't think of any country where the general public has a say in the running of its sovereign wealth fund.

Adam_S

What your point?
My point is that the economy of these oil states is tanking hard at the moment and that the previous level of funds to which oil clubs like PSG or Shitty have become accustomed may no longer be available.

GenZRed

Based on twitter, it seems that most Newcastle fans are happy with the Saudis buying Newcastle, citing getting rid of Mike Ashley as the principal reason.

Twitter doesn't always reflect popular opinion though.

AaronRedDevil

It easy for us as united fans or the other top clubs to look down on this takeover because Those are a very wealthy club, United spend a hundred million every summer. United fans can scoff at it if they tried to buy us out. It’s like saying We own a Lamborghini, Bugatti is an upgrade sure, but I like what I have. Newcastle, both fans and club want to get big again, they may not get this opportunity ever again for another 10-15 years or if at all. So I can’t blame them if they want this takeover. They obviously don’t care about the stuff outside of football. They want Mike Ashley gone at any cost.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It easy for us as united fans or the other top clubs to look down on this takeover because Those are a very wealthy club, United spend a hundred million every summer. United fans can scoff at it if they tried to buy us out. It’s like saying We own a Lamborghini, Bugatti is an upgrade sure, but I like what I have. Newcastle, both fans and club want to get big again, they may not get this opportunity ever again for another 10-15 years or if at all. So I can’t blame them if they want this takeover. They obviously don’t care about the stuff outside of football. They want Mike Ashley gone at any cost.
They weren't really big to begin with, only in their own heads. They've not won a league title in nearly a century.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This is like that time in history when they got rid of an unpopular leader and ended up with an even worse one.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Based on twitter, it seems that most Newcastle fans are happy with the Saudis buying Newcastle, citing getting rid of Mike Ashley as the principal reason.

Twitter doesn't always reflect popular opinion though.
Some dreadful replies but you're right Twitter is the worst place to look for an opinion.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The Newcastle fans don't give a feck and voted 97% in favour of the take over.
I know they don't, but you still need to be a cretin to say that to the fiancée whose husband was murdered and dismembered in cold blood.

AaronRedDevil

They weren't really big to begin with, only in their own heads. They've not won a league title in nearly a century.
My point still stands. They want to be a club that can compete. They never will with who’s in charge.

edcunited1878

My point still stands. They want to be a club that can compete. They never will with who’s in charge.
You never know anymore because City have laid a blueprint that FIFA, UEFA, nor FA have regulated. If the Saudis treat this very similar to what City Football Group has done, then wouldn't totally dismiss Newcastle. The one thing that could stop them or hold them back is if they don't have a good business and football operations structure. That could take time and randomly throwing money at players doesn't exactly work anymore. If they hire Poch and give him a few years working with a competent football operations staff, at minimum they will challenge for a European spot.

AaronRedDevil

You never know anymore because City have laid a blueprint that FIFA, UEFA, nor FA have regulated. If the Saudis treat this very similar to what City Football Group has done, then wouldn't totally dismiss Newcastle. The one thing that could stop them or hold them back is if they don't have a good business and football operations structure. That could take time and randomly throwing money at players doesn't exactly work anymore. If they hire Poch and give him a few years working with a competent football operations staff, at minimum they will challenge for a European spot.
I’m sure they are aware it’s probably going to take 5 10 years for them to even compete and they definitely can’t throw money around like what Chelsea and City did. They have to build a foundation first. Those days are gone thank feck.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
There is a chance that Newcastle will be run just like a business for Saudi, just like Leicester, Arsenal and Liverpool, instead of Man City and PSG.

riis

Supports
Liverpool
It's arguably the most transparent, but not the public could veto it buying stuff.
Direct democracy (through public voting in referendums) would be an incredibly ineffective way of running a fund like this. Elected officials enforce regulations on how the fund is to be run and pick the professionals who are to run it.

stevoc

People work for City and PSG people around the world. This won’t be any different.
Yep there will always be people who put money above morals. They’ll have little problem employing people for every position.

Status
Not open for further replies.