Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Ignoring the obvious moral issues, if money can take Man City to the top as quickly as it did, imagine what it could do to a club like Newcastle, who actually have a large fan base already and some history. Could easily be challenging for the title in the next 10 years since they aren't going to give a feck about FFP any more than Man City did.
To be fair city managed to pull crowds of over 20k in division one

And had last won the league in 1968 before they were brought

Newcastle last won the title in 1927

SambaBoy

What's going on with this now? Is it still likely to go through and just in the process or has it died now?

Haven't heard anything about it for weeks.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair city managed to pull crowds of over 20k in division one

And had last won the league in 1968 before they were brought

Newcastle last won the title in 1927
Still weren't the size of club Newcastle currently are. The talk of people not knowing there was two teams in Manchester isn't a myth.

The Fish

What's going on with this now? Is it still likely to go through and just in the process or has it died now?

Haven't heard anything about it for weeks.
Still going through the O&D test. Journalists and the buying side still confident it will go through.

Was never going to be a smooth process, but I don't think anybody expected it to be this protracted.

Jesse > Messi

latest on the newcastle takeover - CEO of Clear TV Henry Mauriss tables £350m bid for the club

“US TV company chief Henry Mauriss puts in £350m bid to buy club”

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ef-henry-mauriss-puts-in-350m-bid-to-buy-club

“Sky Sports News has been told Mauriss would prefer takeover to happen before start of 2020/21 season”

Looks like this could be a way forward. Away out from the botched Suadi backed bid, As I can’t see the premier league letting that go ahead with all the evidence of illegal streams levelled at the Suadis

Last edited:

steve.crowford

The Geordies have always had a fanatical fanbase. Yet have been a yoyo club with very little consistency post Sir Bobby Robson, and even then they couldn't win much under Sir Bobby and Kevin Keegan before him. But with this recent rumoured Saudi takeover, things could be about to change. Pochettino has been linked with the club. They are apparently willing to pay him £19 million a year.
They were already starting to spend more in the past year or two. Almirón, Saint-Maximin and Joelinton cost close to £100 million between them. So they'll definitely be throwing the money around if the takeover goes through. Another obstacle in the way of United reaching the top again.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The amount geordie fans I see on Twitter with Saudi Arabia flag is absolutely mental.
Kind of sickens me that football takes precedence over human rights abuses, and state sponsored murder. I would absolutely love it if it got blocked and then we can see for how long they keep their Saudi flags.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
The amount geordie fans I see on Twitter with Saudi Arabia flag is absolutely mental.
Kind of sickens me that football takes precedence over human rights abuses, and state sponsored murder. I would absolutely love it if it got blocked and then we can see for how long they keep their Saudi flags.
Most of them would sell their own parents for a trophy.

Paxi

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

Newcastle fans are a strange bunch. Been reading their forums. Their love for Rafa and hatred for Bruce is so bizarre.
You’d think Benitez won back to back trebles the way these lot carry on. This is insane ....
Rafa had a system which he worked at meticulously every game & a plan to go forward in the long term. He was also loyal to the club (against all the odds), recognised its potential & was inspirational when talking about it.
Where to start with this cult like nonsense.
Newcastle were fecking shite and boring under Rafa and a mid table team. Granted it’s the best they could do in the situation. The guy hardly worked miracles though and Bruce has come in and done the exact same job, arguably slightly better.
Rafa loyal to the club? So loyal he fecked off to manage in a tin pot league just for money.

I wouldn’t say it’s that Rafa attracts this wherever he goes but more so Liverpool and Newcastle have two of the more Crackpot fanbases around.
Newcastle fans almost seem to be angry anytime their team wins because it means Bruce gets longer in charge and Benitez looks less and less of a messiah.

Bojan11

Bruce also lost Perez and Rondon. Their main goal scoring threats from last year. Thought they were nailed on to go down.

Needham

Newcastle fans are a strange bunch. Been reading their forums. Their love for Rafa and hatred for Bruce is so bizarre.
You’d think Benitez won back to back trebles the way these lot carry on. This is insane ....

Newcastle were fecking shite and boring under Rafa and a mid table team. Granted it’s the best they could do in the situation. The guy hardly worked miracles though and Bruce has come in and done the exact same job, arguably slightly better.
Rafa loyal to the club? So loyal he fecked off to manage in a tin pot league just for money.

I wouldn’t say it’s that Rafa attracts this wherever he goes but more so Liverpool and Newcastle have two of the more Crackpot fanbases around.
Newcastle fans almost seem to be angry anytime their team wins because it means Bruce gets longer in charge and Benitez looks less and less of a messiah.
Never underestimate how similar Liverpool and Newcastle fans are. Geordies are just scousers who've been to work.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds

Benitez didn’t manage sunderland and that puts him ahead of Bruce with the daft Geordies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Never underestimate how similar Liverpool and Newcastle fans are. Geordies are just scousers who've been to work.
I chuckled, but isn't Newcastle actually an even more deprived area?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
To be fair Rafa is a better manager. Obviously Bruce is a top man but Rafa left the foundations for Bruce whole working with nothing. Rafas done it in Spain, England the CL and EL. I know who I’d rather give a huge transfer kitty to. I’d say there are bargains aplenty in Spain this summer too.

Black Rick

As a neutral - or even a supporter of a future competitor - I cannot wait for this takeover to go through.

-It will mean more money splashes down through the English football pyramid during this time of financial crisis, particularly given Newcastle's likely recruitment strategy will be a combination of Premier League proven players and young English players.
-It will mean the back of Mike Ashley.
-It will mean increased investment in neglected and impoverished areas of Newcastle.
-It will mean increased economic and social integration between the UK and Saudi Arabia, thus increasing the political, social and economic collaborative goodwill and leverage the UK has towards Saudi Arabian issues like human rights. Public scrutiny of Saudi Arabian affairs will also rise in parallel with the increased profile of Newcastle United.
-For the Premier League, it will be an extra layer of intrigue for the competition, making it more exciting for fans and increasing the value of future television deals for all clubs. It is also another big English club for Manchester United to have to rise to the challenge of facing.
-It brings the Saudis around the collaboration table and we are already starting to see the resolution of the Premier League's Middle Eastern piracy problem. It will also lead to new commercial streams as Qatar and Saudi Arabia try to outbid each other for future rights.

Winners all around.

UncleBob

As a neutral - or even a supporter of a future competitor - I cannot wait for this takeover to go through.

-It will mean more money splashes down through the English football pyramid during this time of financial crisis, particularly given Newcastle's likely recruitment strategy will be a combination of Premier League proven players and young English players.
-It will mean increased investment in neglected and impoverished areas of Newcastle.
-It will mean increased economic and social integration between the UK and Saudi Arabia, thus increasing the political, social and economic collaborative goodwill and leverage the UK has towards Saudi Arabian issues like human rights. Public scrutiny of Saudi Arabian affairs will also rise in parallel with the increased profile of Newcastle United.
-For the Premier League, it will be an extra layer of intrigue for the competition, making it more exciting for fans and increasing the value of future television deals for all clubs. It is also another big English club for Manchester United to have to rise to the challenge of facing.
-It brings the Saudis around the collaboration table and we are already starting to see the resolution of the Premier League's Middle Eastern piracy problem. It will also lead to new commercial streams as Qatar and Saudi Arabia try to outbid each other for future rights.

Winners all around.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
City's ban getting lifted has proven FFP to be ineffective in every sense of the word. The Saudi dictators will be licking their lips at the prospect of buying god knows how many PL titles with their blood money.

They'll be partying on the River Tyne tonight.

Paxi

Winners all around.
I’m pretty sure you’ve posted the exact same post before or at least I’ve seen it elsewhere. Are you just parroting this bullshit to anyone that’ll listen?

No one is ever going to be okay with Saudis sports washing their human rights abuses via your club.

ShinjiNinja26

After that absolute bottle job ruling this morning the floodgates are well and truly open now. Watch this mob spend money like it’s going out of fashion, probably spend £500m over the next couple of windows to try and fast track their way to the top. Expect to see Newcastle bidding £250m for Mbappe and try and entice him in with an “exciting new project” and £1m per week wages.

Idxomer

After that absolute bottle job ruling this morning the floodgates are well and truly open now. Watch this mob spend money like it’s going out of fashion, probably spend £500m over the next couple of windows to try and fast track their way to the top. Expect to see Newcastle bidding £250m for Mbappe and try and entice him in with an “exciting new project” and £1m per week wages.
He's in PSG, they can pay him whatever he wants. They're also owned by Qataris who would never sell to the Saudis.

Most likely at first, they will overpay for a lot of good players but not the type that will take them right away to the top.

In Rainbows

If anything, Saudis buying Newcastle will be a major blow to Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, etc... The PL will only attract more viewers from increased competition, and it will be another PL club outspending almost everyone from those leagues.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Will never happen. Remember how City at the begining tried to sign top players but were rejected by them.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's worrying for 'traditional' clubs that have earned their money through periods of success and history in general.

They should just boot teams that have sugar daddies and give then a league called the European sugar daddy league, welcome PSG, City, Chelsea and newcastle (soon to be).

ShinjiNinja26

Will never happen. Remember how City at the begining tried to sign top players but were rejected by them.
Aye it’s a bit of hyperbole on my part just cause I’m pissed off at the decision. :lol:

They’ll definitely start off like City and blow a load of cash on duds before finding their feet but just like City they’ll eventually spend their way to the top and that’s the problem. It’s just a matter of when not if after this ruling.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It happens with time though, you get lets say tier 3 players, then a tier 2 player or two, and eventually you make your way to the top.

They'll buy out all the mid table clubs best players to start with, and start paying huge agent fees to try get a de bruyne type player.

Mr Smith

I think Newcastle may have more of a romantic pull than City though. British players in particular will get on board.

I could see them going for Kane as their big statement signing in 12 months time.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's worrying for 'traditional' clubs that have earned their money through periods of success and history in general.

They should just boot teams that have sugar daddies and give then a league called the European sugar daddy league, welcome PSG, City, Chelsea and newcastle (soon to be).
"Big traditional clubs" can feck off.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I don't think that the elite should stay as the elite either, but I don't think being able to self sponsor and pump in millions of pounds elsewhere is fine either.

Having a rich owner I don't see as a fair way to go about football.

The reason the Saudis and Abu Dhabi are pumping in so much money is they are so oil dependent that they seek other assets, the UAE goes for tourism. Saudi is following suit trying to open to tourism, but they want assets too, so they own buildings in places like London, and they also go to get football teams.

The UAE then sponsors teams, gets the naming writes to stadiums such as Emirates, and at the same time creates an asset worth $1bn+.

All the state wants in that case is a commodity or an asset worth that much, promoting Emirates and Etihad airlines, a football club, it's all about ownership of something that gives exposure to the country.

Saudi wants to be in the spotlight too so they will do their best to get Newcastle to the top, make an attractive brand and somehow promote Saudi in the process (even if its through brand recognition).

It's all about creating an asset, I'm honestly not a huge fan of pumping in money outside of football, doing it via a youth academy and building that way is fine.

What PSG did with Neymar and Mbappe was far from the clubs revenue and should be far from legal.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I understand that sentiment but there’s definitely an argument that the majority of those clubs are big because of their historical performances and the huge amount of hard work that laid the groundwork for that. It’s almost like saying feck the work that Sir Matt and Sir Alex put into United, if corrupt oil sheiks want to spunk money up the wall to bypass that hard work and get to the top of the footballing landscape they should be able to without question.

jackal&hyde

Because being 'traditional' is too boring, being bank rolled by the Saudis is the new hipster thing. Didn't you know?
Seems so. Clubs like United will likely be fine but clubs trying to better themselves like Spurs, Leicester, Wolves have no chance when Countries start funding clubs as their toys. It reduces football to getting yourself a rich country to fund you or forget about building yourself up.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
That's the weird thing about the 'anti established clubs' argument. United, Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juve etc will still compete and attract players.

It's the likes of Sheffield United, Wolves, Leicester, Southampton, West Ham, Everton and even Arsenal and Spurs to a lesser extent that will stand zero chance of competing. I realise that Wolves and Sheffield both have wealthy owners, but not in the same league as the state backed clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.