Saul Niguez

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think we should be spending that much on a player who isn't absolutely elite or on the way to be. I suppose you could argue that Saul is or will be but I don't think. He is excellent of course just not at that level. Plus if we need anything in midfield it's a proper proper playmaker. Saul is an all rounder, which I presume is what Fred is supposed to be.

Canagel

That price is ridiculous for Saul even if I do rate him.

wolvored

I don't think we should be spending that much on a player who isn't absolutely elite or on the way to be. I suppose you could argue that Saul is or will be but I don't think. He is excellent of course just not at that level. Plus if we need anything in midfield it's a proper proper playmaker. Saul is an all rounder, which I presume is what Fred is supposed to be.
I agree. I know prices are vastly inflated now but for a club record fee £134 million is insane

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree. I know prices are vastly inflated now but for a club record fee £134 million is insane
It won't happen. This is the kind of fee you either spend on a bonafide future star, or someone whose already there. While Saul is an excellent player he doesn't have the kind of ability that dominates.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I like him, not sure where he'd play for us. Atleti's system is specific where he can play 'on the wing', here he'd have taken whose spot?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Top player. The chance to sign him was when he just came back Rayo on loan/that season after. I think that's when we had our main interest in him.

Since then he's signed some ridiculously lengthy deal and quite clearly doesn't want to leave Atletico.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He’s excellent but with Atlético players you never know how they will perform outside of the specific system Simeone implements there. Some leave and are still great like Costa but some like Felipe Luis have gone and not performed anywhere near the same level. I don’t think they have sold many midfielder over the last years so it’s hard to tell.

Also, £134m is nuts. You pay that kind of money for a potential game winner, not a midfielder who would maybe help you organize the middle of the park a little better.

Classical Mechanic

He wants a pay rise I think. He signed a 9 year contract with A Madrid (idiot) so their biggest rival's name is thrown in along with United who always get used for this purpose.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Personally I think
..............matic............
.......Saul..........pogba

Would be an amazingly well balanced midfield 3

That said he is in long term contract at a better team in a beautiful city playing regularly and in the Spain squad... I can't imagine he woukd be that keen on the move himself

Probably just wants a pay rise as said above

Andersons Dietician

Been a fan for years and saying we should buy him but 134mil buyout that is just crazy. Probably be here already if Moyes was still in charge, only place I could see him playing for us would be as a replacement for Matics role but then why would you want waste his talents doing that and if that’s the case would rather go for Neves.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He adds twice the value Pogba does, so this fee looks a good price.

el3mel

If we're selling Pogba then yes please. I will welcome him.

If Pogba stays then no need for spending that much with other positions need reinforcements.

Let's see how Pogba will handle his situation here first. If he's fecking off then I'm all for this transfer.

Nickosaur

Saul is great but that's too much. But I suppose that will be the going rate for a top player soon.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We have spent 169m on CM in the past 3 years. I think we should be looking to strengthen elsewhere. We have plenty of talent in CM

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We have spent 169m on CM in the past 3 years. I think we should be looking to strengthen elsewhere. We have plenty of talent in CM
Quite a low sum in current market terms when you consider our entire roster needed changing.

Cassidy

Quite a low sum in current market terms when you consider our entire roster needed changing.
In relation to other problem areas on the pitch and the current market I beg to differ. Its the areaa we have invested the most in, and other areas are now more in need of the investment

I agree - we need two more FBs another CB and a RW. These areas need more investment.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In relation to other problem areas on the pitch and the current market I beg to differ. Its the areaa we have invested the most in, and other areas are now more in need of the investment
I don't care about the £ invested. I care more about the quality.

Whilst I agree we need to invest in centre backs ahead of midfield, I think we will be a more cohesive unit when we improve further in midfield, and it would probably involve selling Pogba.

Put it this way - il happily sell Pogba in a swap to bring in Saul. But Atletico for sure would be too smart not to enter that deal.

Cassidy

I don't care about the £ invested. I care more about the quality.

Whilst I agree we need to invest in centre backs ahead of midfield, I think we will be a more cohesive unit when we improve further in midfield, and it would probably involve selling Pogba.

Put it this way - il happily sell Pogba in a swap to bring in Saul. But Atletico for sure would be too smart not to enter that deal.
I didnt mention CB and actually I don’t think our CM is our biggest problem.

We have a striker who is great when you get good service to him, Pogba right now is one of the only players who gets him decent service.

Not to mention we don’t have a single player in the team who can consistently deliver quality service from the wide areas whether thats a FB or a wide man.

Personally I think if we sort out our attacking threats we’ll start to look better as a side even defensively too.

Our issue has always been creating chances and scoring goals. Thats not to say we dont need a CB but defending as a team as a whole I believe is more our issue. Not necessarily the individual parts.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Very slim chance you could get him from Atletico and for that money, don't think he would want to go at all and obviously two very poor sources so probably nothing in it.

Think he would easily be worth his buyout given his age, class act and has a bit of everything who will be a real player in the next few years

Mcking

Personally I think
..............matic............
.......Saul..........pogba

Would be an amazingly well balanced midfield 3

That said he is in long term contract at a better team in a beautiful city playing regularly and in the Spain squad... I can't imagine he woukd be that keen on the move himself

Probably just wants a pay rise as said above
What of Fred?

redIndianDevil

Should steer clear IMO, no player signs a such crazy long contract if they don't absolutely love that club or the city. If his agent is putting out the transfer news then the one possibility is him trying to get better wages at Atletico just like Godin did us.

Irrational.

He wants a pay rise I think. He signed a 9 year contract with A Madrid (idiot) so their biggest rival's name is thrown in along with United who always get used for this purpose.
This is exactly it. Even if he did want to stay for life, there are other ways of demonstrating this rather than signing a decade long fecking deal :lol::lol:

Zero common sense.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not even sure how this is supposed to work. He had lost all the bargaining power when he signed that contract, and I'm sure that Atleti will gladly sell him for 134 mil — he is a great player, but he is not 100+ mil great.

GBBQ

so give me more money or I will leave*

*assumption that there is a club out there that rates me highly enough to make me the 3rd highest signing of all time

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
there is 0 chance we sign him for that price. Bonkers to even think of it.

We'd struggle to sell Pogba for that much, why would we buy somebody worse for more.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
He is still only 23 years old. 100m would be a reasonable shout due to the age and him being a goal scorer from midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.