"schadenfreude is the only true joy"?

Great Hat

Probably not, because it's more likely we'd pick up points at a Wigan side we've beaten in our last nine attempts than Villa getting anything at Anfield, where they hadn't won for eight years. I was as pleased seeing Liverpool's result as I was our own, but probably because theirs was of more magnitude, and because of it compounding their fairly poor start to the season. :)

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
United winning > Liverpool losing

redwhiteblack

it's a different feeling, but of course it's a great joy to see Liverpool lose, especially at home.

to all those 'top reds' who jump on the back of anyone who expresses any joy at seeing Liverpool lose i pose this question -

how would you feel if we had a season of playing well but came 2nd in the PL to Chelsea or Arsenal, while Liverpool lost half their games and ended getting relegated?

i have to admit, i would be smiling at the end of that season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
it's a different feeling, but of course it's a great joy to see Liverpool lose, especially at home.

to all those 'top reds' who jump on the back of anyone who expresses any joy at seeing Liverpool lose i pose this question -

how would you feel if we had a season of playing well but came 2nd in the PL to Chelsea or Arsenal, while Liverpool lost half their games and ended getting relegated?

i have to admit, i would be smiling at the end of that season
If Carlsberg made seasons...

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
I like Great Hats answer better:angel:

OK. Another question. Would you accept a package deal of United finishing top 4 without winning PL and Liverpool getting relegated?
Two seperate things.

I am happy with United playing good football and compete for honours, not necessarily winning honours.

And I'd be happy if Liverpool got relegated.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Two seperate things.

I am happy with United playing good football and compete for honours, not necessarily winning honours.

And I'd be happy if Liverpool got relegated.
He's talking about relative happiness though.

Us beating a side we should expect to beat causes me 'x' happiness.

Liverpool losing to a side they should expect to beat causes me 'y' happiness.

I can think of lots of scenarios when y > x.

pillory

Is it wrong to have felt more joy when pool lost to aston villa than when we whooped wigan...?:nervous:
I'm tempted to say yes. 5-0 away from home, Owen and Berbatov getting off the mark and the Burnley debacle made Wigan miles more enjoyable for me than Pool's defeat, great as it was. But Birmingham would have been another matter.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
United are supposed to win all the games, so when we win, it's almost a relief, unless it's a special win like 7-1 Roma.

So a Liverpool relegation or a loss against smaller teams means more laughter. I'd prefer an United win every single time though.

MG

United are supposed to win all the games, so when we win, it's almost a relief, unless it's a special win like 7-1 Roma.

So a Liverpool relegation or a loss against smaller teams means more laughter. I'd prefer an United win every single time though.
Absolutely.

Don't get me wrong, United winning is amazing and never gets less so, but we do actually win most of our games. It's kind of the norm. The same with Liverpool. So when they lose it's great for us seeing as they're our biggest rivals and potential title rivals (or so we're told :smirk:).

I don't think Liverpool losing is a better feeling than that euphoric feeling when United score, or that feeling when United beat a difficult team, or thrash a team like the Roma result, but maybe Liverpool losing is a better feeling than when United have a fairly run-of-the-mill victory against a low down team (no disrespect).

Lil Cee

I like Great Hats answer better:angel:

OK. Another question. Would you accept a package deal of United finishing top 4 without winning PL and Liverpool getting relegated?
i wouldn't. it's the trophies that matter, so i would want united to win the PL. and i dont want any of our traditional rivals to get relegated because it robs the fans of 2 important days. ill admit it, i miss Leeds :nervous:

it was funny when they got relegated but i didnt think it would take them this long to get back up. that being said if Liverpool finished right outside the relegation zone and started celebrating like they just won the league in typical delusional fashion while proclaiming next year ITS ON. i would find that hilarious and quite enjoyable.

Robin

you got to feel sorry for the bloke who had an accumulator bet on 8 matches with the first 7 being winners , if Liverpool won he would have got £27,000 he must already have been celebrating the scousers winning, he will now hate them for the rest of his life !!

CptMarvel

He's talking about relative happiness though.

Us beating a side we should expect to beat causes me 'x' happiness.

Liverpool losing to a side they should expect to beat causes me 'y' happiness.

I can think of lots of scenarios when y > x.
Can you factor a fiver on Liverpool losing into that formula? I've had a good week football wise.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
you got to feel sorry for the bloke who had an accumulator bet on 8 matches with the first 7 being winners , if Liverpool won he would have got £27,000 he must already have been celebrating the scousers winning, he will now hate them for the rest of his life !!
I can think of quite a few more who think that way..

Me being one of them

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back

Thats one of the worst things I've ever read on here...

Its that kind of arrogance and complacency that Keane referred to in his book and led to the lack of effort and the subsequent killing off of the atmosphere at Old Trafford. Too many turn up expecting a result and think its Uniteds right to win.

No where does it suggest United are supposed to win. Wins have to be earnt and fought for. No one has a divine right to win anything without effort and passion, least of all United. Thats what Busby craved for all his career. Players who would fight and fight to get results and didnt expect anything laid out for them on a plate.

I remember times when a win was the last thing you expected from United. Success was going a whole game and not conceding. A great season was achieved by finishing in the top 5 and if we were really lucky a trip to Wembley thrown in to the bargain.

B Cantona

Desperate
He had the advantage of the game that cocked him up being the last on his coupon, so if he was wise he'd have stuck a few grand on the draw and an Aston Villa victory anyway, ensuring he saw a big return whatever happened

No excuse for coming out of that situation penniless for me