Schmeichel: One player is only here to promote his personal brand

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pogba. I don’t agree with him but the old boys club at United all seem to have the same opinion.

Saffron

Pogba. I don’t agree with him but the old boys club at United all seem to have the same opinion.

JLingz is the one with an actual brand. Which he promotes with a trademarked hand signal every time he scores.

Pogba only does normal sponsorships like every other athlete.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nah, it's definitely Lingard if you read his full quotes. He talks about how Ole has moved them out of the picture and you only remember them when looking at the full squad.

------

“I’m on record for saying this a long, long time, since Ole came, that his most important job is not really to sign players, it’s to get rid of players.

“There’s a few players in the squad that we absolutely do not want there.

“They’re not there to play for the badge. They’re there to create a profile for themselves.

“I was reading about one player trying to make themself a brand like Beckham which is shocking really. But there are players there that do not belong in the dressing room.

“And I think Ole has done really well in kind of sifting them out of the picture really, so we only get reminded that they’re there in a chat like this, or reading about the squad. I think he’s done an amazing job.”

------

He might be including Pogba to some extent, but it's so obvious that the main one is Lingard that I almost feel sorry for him being called out like that. For somebody who is already struggling for confidence it must be shattering for a club legend to be talking about you like that.

tenpoless

Lingard because He's only here to do exactly that.

The moment He was being put in a spotlight as a first teamer of a shit and crippled United team, first thing He did was to promote his clothing brand.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not Pogba, see the video, Schmeichel clearly meant these players are already shifted out and are not remembered, we only remember them during these chats. Joining dots, looks like he meant Lingard.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
JLingz is the one with an actual brand.

Pogba only does normal sponsorships like every other athlete.
This is what I thought.

It's a bit harsh on Jesse if true. He's not good enough for Utd end of...his self promotion whatever has feck all to do with it. He's had his off field issues but to cite a 'brand' preoccupation as a reason is crap.

Schmeichel snr, has made a name for himself being a bit of a crap pundit

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he is talking about Lingard also. I think he should be sold for sure, but if you're already struggling and a United legend talks about you like that it must be absolutely gutting.

For his own good as well as ours, Jesse needs to move this summer.

Hammerfell

Lingard because He's only here to do exactly that.

The moment He was being put in a spotlight as a first teamer of a shit and crippled United team, first thing He did was to promote his clothing brand.
Why do you keep capitalising the H like he's some sort of deity?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Lingard's been here since he was a kid though... be a bit weird if he started with the goal of setting up a personal brand.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Creating a brand is fine as long as your on field performances are good.

People used to question Beckham in this regard but he was an exceptional player.

Prodigal7

Nah, it's definitely Lingard if you read his full quotes. He talks about how Ole has moved them out of the picture and you only remember them when looking at the full squad.

------

“I’m on record for saying this a long, long time, since Ole came, that his most important job is not really to sign players, it’s to get rid of players.

“There’s a few players in the squad that we absolutely do not want there.

“They’re not there to play for the badge. They’re there to create a profile for themselves.

“I was reading about one player trying to make themself a brand like Beckham which is shocking really. But there are players there that do not belong in the dressing room.

“And I think Ole has done really well in kind of sifting them out of the picture really, so we only get reminded that they’re there in a chat like this, or reading about the squad. I think he’s done an amazing job.”

------

He might be including Pogba to some extent, but it's so obvious that the main one is Lingard that I almost feel sorry for him being called out like that. For somebody who is already struggling for confidence it must be shattering for a club legend to be talking about you like that.
You shouldn't though. It's clear there's no place for him, he should do the honorable thing and move to a club where he would play. Instead it seems like he's throwing his toys out the pram, posting videos of 12 year olds revving up his car, appointing Raiola. He's pretty much declared war on the club. Welbeck, Cleverley, Evans etc had some class as a human beings.

tenpoless

Why do you keep capitalising the H like he's some sort of deity?
Sorry, it's a habit :D

Although to be fair, he is a deity. A deity of shit football.
If Ronaldo is a football god that gives your team goals, Lingard is a football god that gives you hoodie and t-shirt that nobody gives a shit about and 0 goal on the pitch.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'd love to know how many fully grown men bought J Lingz aftershave.

I feel for Lingard but he's not really helped himself. Tom Cleverley started a brand before he'd really cemented himself IIRC and that didn't really end well for him either.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Isn't Lingard getting enough abuse already? Alright, he's not that good and he's not even playing anymore. He's not a bad person and there's been little evidence that he's been "a bad egg". Everyone that's actually worked with him has had nothing but good things to say about him on a personal level, Ole included.

He lost his place in the team because he's not productive enough on the pitch. Let's back off the guy for a bit.

mav_9me

This is what I thought.

It's a bit harsh on Jesse if true. He's not good enough for Utd end of...his self promotion whatever has feck all to do with it. He's had his off field issues but to cite a 'brand' preoccupation as a reason is crap.

Schmeichel snr, has made a name for himself being a bit of a crap pundit
Couldn't agree with you more.

I am not a fan of Lingard. Clearly he is not going to be here for long. But it's absolutely not fair to criticize him like that. His failings as a footballer for us should be separate from his brand etc. That's the modern world, in all sports. Reality is brand won't be successful without success on the pitch anyway and I'm sure he knows that. I find it similar to online bullying when people reply with this kind of nonsense on social media. To see schmeichel say that is not too different. And yeah I think he is talking about lingard here.

freeurmind

weak willed

People used to question Beckham in this regard but he was an exceptional player.
This. No one would give a crap about Lingard's off the field stuff if he was consistently good on it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It feels weird to say this but Footballers are most of the time just kids and younger than the fanbase - they are hooked on to social media and all sorts.

Whilst I dont think schmeichel is targeting a player when talking about this stuff, he is talking about how Ole has changed the environment from a relaxed, do what you want environment back to a hard working environment which was the first thing Ole said he was going to do when accepting the job.

Bwuk

If half the old lot played in the modern game they’d do the same.

I don’t care who has brands, companies etc as long as they perform on the pitch.

You shouldn't though. It's clear there's no place for him, he should do the honorable thing and move to a club where he would play. Instead it seems like he's throwing his toys out the pram, posting videos of 12 year olds revving up his car, appointing Raiola. He's pretty much declared war on the club. Welbeck, Cleverley, Evans etc had some class as a human beings.
What a ridiculous post. The honourable thing? He’s got a contract, he lives in the area with his family local. Why should he leave just because as a forum we’ve decided he’s not good enough?

Declaring war on the club? Lingard probably loves the club more than half the squad, he’s been here since he was a kid. Raiola was most likely hired as Lingard sees the end is near for him at United so he can try and get himself a good move.

Class as human beings :lol: I hope if youve ever had a hard time at your work or not performed well you resigned and left. Ridiculous post.

Sylar

Yup. Theres nothing wrong with having something to fall back on once your football is finished, and setting it up early. But your brand ultimately suffers if youre a terrible player.

Rio did the 5 brand, but it wasnt such a big deal cos Rio was fantastic.
Beckham got some shit for some of the stuff he was doing, but ultimately no United fan cared for as long as he was at United and performing.

Pogba and his emoji got made fun off, cos his emoji was launched, then the next game he gives away a penalty and was pretty terrible vs Liverpool.
Lingard launched a clothing line before a terrible match vs Liverpool?
Cleverley and his TC23 stuff. Would have been fine if he was doing fine on the pitch.

Its all about timing, and how you do it and market it. Somebody like Lingard hasnt helped himself with the 0.012 and then going a year without scoring or assisting.

Players deserve to have fun, market themselves but it needs to be have the right timing too.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Couldn't agree with you more.

I am not a fan of Lingard. Clearly he is not going to be here for long. But it's absolutely not fair to criticize him like that. His failings as a footballer for us should be separate from his brand etc. That's the modern world, in all sports. Reality is brand won't be successful without success on the pitch anyway and I'm sure he knows that. I find it similar to online bullying when people reply with this kind of nonsense on social media. To see schmeichel say that is not too different. And yeah I think he is talking about lingard here.

This is the same man who racially abused Ian Wright after he thought he went in too aggressively on the keeper. He was lucky in that it was the time it was and not today, and Wrighty TBF played it down and never made it an issue.

I don't want to make it the main point of the thread, just pointing out that Schmeichel great goalkeeper that he was, is also a bit of a cnut IMO.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Unless he’s working on tshirt designs during training then no, creating a clothing brand is fine no matter your on field performances. I don’t need to perform amazingly at work to play football on Saturday. My colleague doesn’t need to perform amazingly to do his DJ sets on Saturday. Nor does Lingard need to be the best footballer ever to make some clothes. He and everyone else can do whatever the feck they want in their free time. Until he stops trying or skipping training then it doesn’t matter one bit.

Is Schmeichel a shit pundit because of his clothing choice or because he spends to much time featuring in betting ads? No, it’s because he’s just an idiot and the other stuff doesn’t affect that. He’s a cnut and shit pundit no matter what he does in his free time.

wythyred

It’s probably Lingard.

I don’t think Jesse is a bad player nor a bad person. However I do think he’s extremely childish and his influence is a negative one in younger players in the squad.

He has demonstrated for both United and England he can play well at the top level when he’s confident.

He needs to leave and I wish him all the best, if I was him I’d go abroad and try and rediscover the form that he had in winter 2017.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Err, what?

Lingard seems to still be a popular figure in the dressing room. He's still getting in there and working hard in training and trying to turn it around on the pitch. It's just not happening for him and he most likely knows that his time at the club is coming to an end, which is why he hired Raiola to help him get the best possible club and contract. He's not causing any issues in any way (other than his bad performances on the field of course).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I struggle to understand how Lingard was able to build a successful brand. Beckham did so because he was talented, he was cute and he was a key player playing in a successful side. JLingz is nothing of that sort. It's amazing how a meah player does its very best to grab as much attention possible and to make money off the club's back. We had average players before. However the likes of Phil and OShea would work hard, do their job and hope that they just did enough to be kept for another year. Lingard is like challenging this club to sell him

Web of Bissaka

Obvious really.. though if we look at the candidates..

Lingard
Rashford
Pogba
Martial
Lukaku
Sanchez?

-------

Who else?

Pogba and the rest are promoting their brand while still performing on the pitch, normal as many footballers do.
Lingard, Pogba and Rashford are maybe the top 3 that promoted theirs very actively and progressively.
Martial's is taking a break at the moment I think, while Lukaku's is still just a simple branding for now.
Not sure about Sanchez's recent progress but he sure did made huge efforts about it once he joined us, maybe he's taking a break now to focus on football.

Lingard and Alexis though.. Sanchez at least is getting back performing at Inter.

I still don't get it why Lingard could not perform like how he used to anymore. He's that good before, a very good squad player that perform in big games.
A shift in focus? Football is no longer a priority? then again, is he even interested in winning trophies? he did won 2-3 trophies, even by scoring the winning goal. Possibly having climb to the mountain by being in names and reputation and basically a starter for United and England NT at some point before, he felt he already reached everything there is. I don't think there's anything in football he wants to get anymore. So.. start preparing for "career" after football.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It’s probably Lingard.

I don’t think Jesse is a bad player nor a bad person. However I do think he’s extremely childish and his influence is a negative one in younger players in the squad.

He has demonstrated for both United and England he can play well at the top level when he’s confident.

He needs to leave and I wish him all the best, if I was him I’d go abroad and try and rediscover the form that he had in winter 2017.
Some of the worst freeloaders I've ever met at work are people you'd love to share a pint with after work.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Who cares if someone is developing his personal brand. As long as you score goals you can do whatever the feck you want.

If you're Lingard however..

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Bit of an overreaction.

1. Why would you leave your childhood, local club where you're being paid good wages and around your friends just because you're going through a tough time personally and professionally?
2. What makes you think he's 'throwing his toys out the pram'?
3. The video with the kids was taken 3 years ago... and Lingard has proven great with kids in the community.
4. 'Appointing Raiola'... so what? The guy gets the best deal possible for his clients.
5. 'Declared war on the club'... yeah, sure.
6. Welbeck and Cleverley left under very different circumstances to the one Lingard is in, don't know how it's relevant. He's also made more first team appearances than both of them combined. Evans could have stayed and would probably have made it back into the first 11 but didn't want to, that's up to him.

Not directing at you specifically but I have to say there are some real nasty 'fans' on this forum. 6 months ago Matic was ruining the club and we needed to get shot before we were relegated! Before that it was Pogba, before that it was Fred, before that it was Young, before that it was Rooney.

Grow up ffs, support your players and wish them the best whilst they're at the club. Hate breeds hate.

Prodigal7

Isn't Lingard getting enough abuse already? Alright, he's not that good and he's not even playing anymore. He's not a bad person and there's been little evidence that he's been "a bad egg". Everyone that's actually worked with him has had nothing but good things to say about him on a personal level, Ole included.

He lost his place in the team because he's not productive enough on the pitch. Let's back off the guy for a bit.
If half the old lot played in the modern game they’d do the same.

I don’t care who has brands, companies etc as long as they perform on the pitch.

What a ridiculous post. The honourable thing? He’s got a contract, he lives in the area with his family local. Why should he leave just because as a forum we’ve decided he’s not good enough?

Declaring war on the club? Lingard probably loves the club more than half the squad, he’s been here since he was a kid. Raiola was most likely hired as Lingard sees the end is near for him at United so he can try and get himself a good move.

Class as human beings :lol: I hope if youve ever had a hard time at your work or not performed well you resigned and left. Ridiculous post.
Wow. I work in sales so my job security is worse than most and I have to deal with a lot of narcissists in my profession. But sales (I imagine is similar to football in terms of performance measurement) it's usually transparent and fair, if you're not hitting your targets then you won't last long and you have to accept that and move on if/when the time is right.

It's pretty clear there's no place for him at the club and if he wasn't causing problems then Pete wouldn't be giving these kinds of interviews on MUTV. Pete is a top bloke. Making out like Lingard is in some financial hardship or something, he's on 100k a week to turn up to training each day. I think I acted with a lot more integrity than him when I had to take VR a year back and he doesn't have to pay a mortgage or deal with the same issues a regular person would have to deal with!

Web of Bissaka

I struggle to understand how Lingard was able to build a successful brand. Beckham did so because he was talented, he was cute and he was a key player playing in a successful side. JLingz is nothing of that.
He's smart and play all the right cards.
He also put huge effort into making a name for himself at both club and international level, football wise.
He actually performed and delivered well on the pitch.
Very active in social media, and very good at promoting.

Robbie Boy

I struggle to understand how Lingard was able to build a successful brand. Beckham did so because he was talented, he was cute and he was a key player playing in a successful side. JLingz is nothing of that.
Last I heard the brand was losing money? I don't know about it being a 'successful' brand. He has the resources for promotion etc which may create the illusion of being successful.

I know absolutely nothing about his brand btw, I'm just going off what people on here had posted about it making quite hefty losses.

Havak

Pokemon master
It's definitely Lingard and I actually think as long as he's at a reputable club it will be seen as a recognition asset. If we are to sell him, we will get a transfer fee that a lot of people will laugh at because he isn't worth it in pure football terms.

Maticmaker

Schmeichel's comments about 'own- branding' certainly refer to Lingard, but his broader point about players building their own profile would also include, Pogba, even Martial although less obvious. Peter is perhaps warning Ole about recruiting other players in the same mold , e.g. would Grealish and Sancho, great players as they are, really be playing for the badge?
Personally I don't think in these days what players do to enhance their income is important, it only becomes a matter when they are not performing as they should be, then they get beaten about the head with it and have handed their critics the stick with which to beat them!

tenpoless

You could argue that this is the age of social media, there are online shops, etc and promoting a brand shouldn't be an issue. But I think the actual problem remains the same, from the 90's till now : when a talented player thinks he's made it in football, that mentality impacts how much effort they think they should put to become a better player, because that shows that in that player's mind there's this attitude "Even as it is i am already good, people like me, i can be more expressive now" which often times cannot be further from the truth.

It used to be about drinking and becoming a model for a magazine. Now, showing off on social media and focusing on other things than football are the equivalent. Because it's not so much about what a player does but his point of view and how they see football. If you think you are a shit player, you are probably ashamed of being one of the 'jokers' on the pitch but if you think you are a special talent, 1% who's made it, etc, even if you're a shit player, you are probably already busy thinking about "how the big me can satisfy me better". This leads you to pursue other goals that often times are about glitters and fame. They're not even productive. In fact, they become a reason for abuse. Lingard didn't exactly build a successful clothing brand. They were offering sale up to 80% if I remember correctly, and the prices seemed to drop after streak of bad performances (surprise?)

Ultimately it's all about having the correct mentality. And believe it or not, mentality spreads so it's better to get rid of the negative influences. Professional sports aren't jokes. If you commit, you have a big set of rules and discipline to follow.

Last edited: