Schmeichel: One player is only here to promote his personal brand

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
There’s a few players in the squad that we absolutely do not want there.

They’re not there to play for the badge. They’re there to create a profile for themselves.

I think a few of you have guessed that Jesse might be one of the players Peter i'll engage my brain later Schmeichel is talking about, who are the others?

Keefy18

Pogba and Lukaku were also there. It was also 6 days before the match. Do players have to lock themselves at home for the entire week before Liverpool matches? How about other matches, which ones are they allowed to go outside 6 days before?
Pogba's focus and form was obviously an issue as well and many took issue with it. Lukaku, personally I never rated that highly, but also his form went out the window. The whole teams focus was gone.

No one said they can't have side interests and financial endeavors, but they must remain focused and perform for their exorbitant salaries.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
You don't need to be amazing at work, no, but you need to meet expectations. Lingard isn't doing that here.
He needs to meet expectations to do stuff outside of work? When you underperform are work are you not allowed to cut up and eat your steaks anymore? Of course you are.

Lingard has expectations on the pitch, so talk about his pitch performance. He isn’t good enough because he isn’t a good enough footballer. Absolutely feck all to do with his clothes or his dancing or whatever shit he enjoys doing. Just as your reports at work have feck all to do with the steak you prepared 6 days earlier.

iHicksy

I'm not saying I agree with either side arguing about this. But for the people who are saying "what does Big Pete know about the inner workings of the club". Well he's been a club ambassador for the last 7 years so he probably has quite a good idea of what's going on inside the club. Since you know, he works there.

Keefy18

He needs to meet expectations to do stuff outside of work? When you underperform are work are you not allowed to cut up and eat your steaks anymore? Of course you are.
Oh come on this is surely obvious why?

He's in the public eye and has the expectations of people on him to meet a certain standard, same with any public, high profile and well paid job.

Weather its politicians or footballers, act the plonker in public and you'll get your mug thrown across the media for it.

Matriac

Never really understood why anyone would buy footballer brands tbh. I mean forget JLingz, imagine a grown man wearing a CR7 underwear :lol:

But if I were in his place I’d probably do the same.End of the day it’s a business, and I’d want to make as much money as possible in my short career. So I absolutely have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with the way he plays on the pitch, and that’s why he needs to be sold.
I bought a few of the Zlatan underwear cause I liked the quality and simplistic design.
Then the brand went under so I bought even more of them for the closing sale as it was decent quality for a low low price.

I probably would have paid more for them when they were full price even. They just never resonated in the market.

limerickcitykid

Oh come on this is surely obvious why?

He's in the public eye and has the expectations of people on him to meet a certain standard, same with any public, high profile and well paid job.

Weather its politicians or footballers, act the plonker in public and you'll get your mug thrown across the media for it.
Going to a fashion event isn’t “acting the plonker.”

Media are nothing but complete scum, why would I give a feck or support what they do? Media attack and ruin people’s lives. I guess that’s alright with you, personally it isn’t.

It is also whether not weather

Keefy18

Going to a fashion event isn’t “acting the plonker.”

Media are nothing but complete scum, why would I give a feck or support what they do? Media attack and ruin people’s lives. I guess that’s alright with you, personally it isn’t.

It is also whether not weather
You sure? He looked a prized bloody plonker to me!

Sigh... take the media out of it then, Society holds public persona's accountable.

They earn well and the very feckin least a player can and should do is respect the club first and foremost.

I'm absolutely convinced some fans forget just how incredibly s*it we were in December 2018 and how bad things were at the club.

We went into the Liverpool fixture a few days later basically expecting another loss to our closest rival. We had supporters screaming Glazers and Woodward out, protests building, a dressing room that was cancerous, incredible talents like Rashford, Pogba & Martial going public with talks of looking for the exit door and a manager happier to pick fights with the media and with players & his bosses the MUFC board through said media than rebuilding United in our history's image of attacking football that wins trophies.

Prodigal7

There’s a few players in the squad that we absolutely do not want there.

They’re not there to play for the badge. They’re there to create a profile for themselves.

I think a few of you have guessed that Jesse might be one of the players Peter i'll engage my brain later Schmeichel is talking about, who are the others?
Pogba and Lukaku would be my guess. He's dumped Lukaku out, maybe Pogba will leave in the summer but I'm hoping he's changing his tune. Sounded to me like Pete was hedging his bets with Pogba on that comment.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Lingard has expectations on the pitch, so talk about his pitch performance. He isn’t good enough because he isn’t a good enough footballer. Absolutely feck all to do with his clothes or his dancing or whatever shit he enjoys doing. Just as your reports at work have feck all to do with the steak you prepared 6 days earlier.
Outside activities can definitely impact your at work performance. These things do not exist in isolation. If your business is losing money it could have an impact.

limerickcitykid

You sure? He looked a prized bloody plonker to me!

Sigh... take the media out of it then, Society holds public persona's accountable.

They earn well and the very feckin least a player can and should do is respect the club first and foremost.

I'm absolutely convinced some fans forget just how incredibly s*it we were in December 2018 and how bad things were at the club.

We went into the Liverpool fixture a few days later basically expecting another loss to our closest rival. We had supporters screaming Glazers and Woodward out, protests building, a dressing room that was cancerous, incredible talents like Rashford, Pogba & Martial going public with talks of looking for the exit door and a manager happier to pick fights with the media and with players & his bosses the MUFC board through said media than rebuilding United in our history's image of attacking football that wins trophies.

Ok go on and let’s see a picture of you. If you’re going to act all big and talk shit let’s see you. Your fashion sense is probably complete shit.

Society hold’s public people accountable to not attend fashion events? First I’m hearing if it I’m afraid.

Going to a fashion event in his free time is in no way disrespectful to the club.

Liverpool being better than us has nothing to do with Lingard going to a fashion event. You’ve just gone on a random rant that is in no way relevant to Lingard attending a fashion event along with several teammates and opposition players.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Is his brand actually successful? I don't think that there have been any numbers published (since I don't think that it's a public company), but I seriously doubt that he is getting back the money that he is investing – there had been lots of cases like that. I mean, even Zlatan wasn't able to get his one going and closed it after a reported £18m loss – and he literally has a cult following all around the world. I seriously doubt that Lingard has enough of paying customers at the moment, but he certainly has enough money to sustain it.
That's something another poster suggested as well. If you're both right then why the hell is he wasting time on something he's losing money on? He should be focusing on his football instead.

limerickcitykid

Outside activities can definitely impact your at work performance. These things do not exist in isolation. If your business is losing money it could have an impact.
So let’s see some proof of it impacting his performance? Right you have none. Now what has actually impacted him is the countless vitriol and attacks he’s had on him and his family.

His business posted a loss that is the equivalent to one week salary for him. You’re reaching really far here Dwayne.

limerickcitykid

That's something another poster suggested as well. If you're both right then why the hell is he wasting time on something he's losing money on? He should be focusing on his football instead.
Clothing companies universally all lose money in their initial years.

He’ll also be claiming loads of expenses he’d be making without the company either. He’ll also be paying his friends through it as well.

The posted loss is completely irrelevant to anything.

Keefy18

Ok go on and let’s see a picture of you. If you’re going to act all big and talk shit let’s see you. Your fashion sense is probably complete shit.
He looks like a bloody idiot. The end.

Society hold’s public people accountable to not attend fashion events? First I’m hearing if it I’m afraid.

Going to a fashion event in his free time is in no way disrespectful to the club.
It wasn't just any old fashion event, it was a fashion event to promote his own brand. His name, his likeness and image. His focus and other players focus was clearly not on the first team.

You do realize we had players refusing to wear the club brand suits and opting to attend matches pre and post in their own designer labels right?

Why do you think it became such an important issue to Ole when he took over?

Does that sound like respect and commitment and focus to the club to you?

Liverpool being better than us has nothing to do with Lingard going to a fashion event. You’ve just gone on a random rant that is in no way relevant to Lingard attending a fashion event along with several teammates and opposition players.
Funny, cause I'm pretty sure many of the same players have since played Liverpool and albeit we haven't beaten them yet since we have improved our performances against the same side. We've also beaten their closet and our closest other rival City twice. The countries two best sides.

Color me shocked when you see how hard work, focus and commitment pays off.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not a single mention of underwear from a fan blog which could be written by you for all it matters.

That article says he had a twitter account like it was terrible. So yes, at no point did he ever plan to make an underwear line. Nor did he even plan to have any type of clothing company.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120129182701/http://tomcleverley23.com/

There's a section on that webpage for collection, which was the clothing line the blog mentions. Fortunately his career went down the drain before it materialised.

limerickcitykid

The end.

It wasn't just any old fashion event, it was a fashion event to promote his own brand. His name, his likeness and image. His focus and other players focus was clearly not on the first team.

You do realize we had players refusing to wear the club brand suits and opting to attend matches pre and post in their own designer labels right?

Why do you think it became such an important issue to Ole when he took over?

Does that sound like respect and commitment and focus to the club to you?

Funny, cause I'm pretty sure many of the same players have since played Liverpool and albeit we haven't beaten them yet since we have improved our performances against the same side. We've also beaten their closet and our closest other rival City twice. The countries two best sides.

Color me shocked when you see how hard work, focus and commitment pays off.
I think you’re an idiot. The end.

You’re posting on a forum during working hours, stop disrespecting your employer.

Colour me shocked when Lingard is consistently top of the fitness charts and hard work doesn’t solve everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keefy18

So let’s see some proof of it impacting his performance? Right you have none. Now what has actually impacted him is the countless vitriol and attacks he’s had on him and his family.

His business posted a loss that is the equivalent to one week salary for him. You’re reaching really far here Dwayne.
:lol: :lol:

Where's the proof?

This went on for another 2 months after this tweet... He's registered a whopping 2 more goals since it and 1 assist.

Prodigal7

Footballers are paid a full time contract to play football full time and maybe do commercial activities for the club. No one will deprive someone of some enjoyable hobbies but Lingards overall behaviour on social media and doing this sort of pretentious fashion show is totally unacceptable. Leaching off United's profile without giving anything meaningful back in return. I don't think that's an old fashioned opinion and if it is then we're in serious trouble as a football club.

Dr. Dwayne

Well, his performances have been shit for some time and they do coincide with the onset of this activity. Is that proof enough?

Where is the proof that vitriol from idiots on the internet (ourselves included) has impacted his performances? Maybe I've missed it but footballers usually say that this kind of criticism doesn't affect them (0.012% etc).

Maybe he doesn't want to sink more money into his business, but it still has staff that need pay, rent and other operating expenses that continue to build regardless of the size of the revenue stream. That can lead to some difficult decisions having to be made and as it's his brand, all that comes back to him.

limerickcitykid

https://web.archive.org/web/20120129182701/http://tomcleverley23.com/

There's a section on that webpage for collection, which was the clothing line the blog mentions. Fortunately his career went down the drain before it materialised.
So still no underwear.

If you look just to the right you’ll also see “charities.” Under it you’ll see the charity the tshirts were made in collaboration with.

Yes, fortunately his career went down and he wasn’t able to make more money for said charities indeed.

Keefy18

I think you’re an idiot. The end.

You’re posting on a forum during working hours, stop disrespecting your employer.

Colour me shocked when Lingard is consistently top of the fitness charts and hard work doesn’t solve everything.
When you've to resort to personal insults you lose the debate.

Who says I'm currently working? I could work shift? I could be on annual leave? I could be adversely affected due to a certain pandemic, none of which would be of your business.

But funny you mention it, yes in past I have been pulled up for poor public performance in my younger days.

Simple question, why have you such a bizarre hard on to defend such a distinctly average footballer?

You are getting personal and aggressive in defence of a person and player who means nothing to you I would assume, I mean he's likely not a loved family member or dear friend so why get so upset?

limerickcitykid

Well, his performances have been shit for some time and they do coincide with the onset of this activity. Is that proof enough?

Where is the proof that vitriol from idiots on the internet (ourselves included) has impacted his performances? Maybe I've missed it but footballers usually say that this kind of criticism doesn't affect them (0.012% etc).

Maybe he doesn't want to sink more money into his business, but it still has staff that need pay, rent and other operating expenses that continue to build regardless of the size of the revenue stream. That can lead to some difficult decisions having to be made and as it's his brand, all that comes back to him.
His good performances also included dancing, and outlandish clothing. So no they don’t coincide.

The proof is from Lingard publicly saying multiple times he’s struggling because of family issues and the attacks they’ve been under.

His company is less than a week wages. You’re reaching and just making shit up.

limerickcitykid

When you've to resort to personal insults you lose the debate.

Who says I'm currently working? I could work shift? I could be on annual leave? I could be adversely affected due to a certain pandemic, none of which would be of your business.

But funny you mention it, yes in past I have been pulled up for poor public performance in my younger days.

Simple question, why have you such a bizarre hard on to defend such a distinctly average footballer?

You are getting personal and aggressive in defence of a person and player who means nothing to you I would assume, I mean he's likely not a loved family member or dear friend so why get so upset?
All you’ve done is personally insult Jesse :lol:

What a plonker.

Prodigal7

So still no underwear.

If you look just to the right you’ll also see “charities.” Under it you’ll see the charity the tshirts were made in collaboration with.

Yes, fortunately his career went down and he wasn’t able to make more money for said charities indeed.
Are you so naive you think this was done to give money to charity :lol:
It's the way everyone, mostly ego maniacs try to elevate their brand in it's early stages. If they really cared about charity they would give money to charities without seeking anything for themselves in return.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The reports say that he had lost about 200k in the first year (so, about 2 weeks wages). I think it's more about the ego than business, really.

Dr. Dwayne

His good performances also included dancing, and outlandish clothing. So no they don’t coincide.

The proof is from Lingard publicly saying multiple times he’s struggling because of family issues and the attacks they’ve been under.

His company is less than a week wages. You’re reaching and just making shit up.
His one month of good performances since 2018? Okay.

Yes, he had that sad story published when the pressure from his continued poor performances was at its greatest. Footballers have handlers that know how to work public relations. So call me skeptical on that. Excuses always come after the fact. he needs to own his poor performances and work to make them better, not blame outside factors and continue to hide on the pitch like he currently does.

Most business people don't like to keep putting their own money into a loss making enterprise. If it's your business that's losing cash, no matter how much, it's going to affect you for the reasons I noted earlier. Presumably because Jesse isn't some kind of heartless venture capitalist.

Bojan11

It’s clearly Lingard.

He’s been shit. Can’t believe people are debating that.

If we had a proper number 10 for the first 5 months of the season, we would have top 4 secured by now.

He plays like the biggest coward going on the pitch. Every pass is backwards or side wards without even attempting to look forward. If the rumours are true about Moyes wanting him then I hope West Ham do stay up. He can be their clown.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The reports say that he had lost about 200k in the first year (so, about 2 weeks wages). I think it's more about the ego than business, really.
I agree.

I also disagree with those who state that Lingard should be milking every second of his Manchester United's career as his career with us is doomed.

A- Never say never with Manchester United. We're a heavily sentimental club, who is known for its brainfarts, its knee jerk reactions and its inability to handle a high staff turnover. After all we're the ones who gave Jones a long term contract.It only takes 1 fluke goal or a great performance to change things around

B- Assuming Lingard's career with United is doomed then he should use every second he's got to put his career back in track. A couple of good matches might tip the balance between getting a job with a decent club close to his family (Newcastle? Everton?) or having to move to some joke club abroad.

Dr. Dwayne

I looked at the filings, it's actually closer to 300k but offset by assets, expected income from debtors and cash on hand totalling about 76k , which is a bit of a misnomer because all that value isn't going to go to the creditors in one shot.

Only three employees, though, so that's less of a problem because he's one of them.

Last edited:

clarkydaz

Where is Lingard so active on social media?

I dont use much social media, as im a old guy, but I looked through his instagram, and his posts was just normal pictures. And his last posts was almost a week ago.

I know he has done some stupid videos in the past, but hasnt it stopped?

Why the same hate all over again? He hasnt played much, so maybe we should all just tune down the hate for a bit and let us enjoy the current team and see what happens after the transfer window? No need to get upset over something thats not there anymore
it came to a head in pre season, when he made that stupid miami hotel room video. Ole bollocked him saying he is on his last chance, Lingard himself said he thought his time was up then. i dont think he mentally recovered from that

He was given a year to prove himself on the pitch and couldnt deliver.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Can someone outline how a typical day should look for a footballer like Lingard, to show he is 100% focused on football? Serious/non-serious answers welcome

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can someone outline how a typical day should look for a footballer like Lingard, to show he is 100% focused on football? Serious/non-serious answers welcome
Wake up, come to training, don't drive a flash car; a Corsa would be ideal so as not to appear flash. Work hard in training, don't act like you're some thing special( bit late for that). Go home, do loads of charity work, don't be seen spending your money and generally being ostentatious. Don't for goodness sake start promoting yourself as a brand especially if not many people give a toss.
Oh, turn up on match day and perform....bit late

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
It’s clearly Lingard.

He’s been shit. Can’t believe people are debating that.

If we had a proper number 10 for the first 5 months of the season, we would have top 4 secured by now.

He plays like the biggest coward going on the pitch. Every pass is backwards or side wards without even attempting to look forward. If the rumours are true about Moyes wanting him then I hope West Ham do stay up. He can be their clown.

He must have some business sense, he's conned United out of millions - about £8million in the last 18 months for a goal against Astana in a meaningless match which we lost (he was captain!) and a goal against Tranmere in a 6-0 win in the Cup - money really well spent.
The fact that he can't pass, shoot, tackle or make intelligent runs is irrelevant. He scored his last Premier League goal in Ole's first match against Cardiff in 2018.

Nobody would be insane enough to buy him either.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The hate Lingard gets is just pathetic.