Schmeichel: One player is only here to promote his personal brand

Shiva87

Nah, it's definitely Lingard if you read his full quotes. He talks about how Ole has moved them out of the picture and you only remember them when looking at the full squad.

------

“I’m on record for saying this a long, long time, since Ole came, that his most important job is not really to sign players, it’s to get rid of players.

“There’s a few players in the squad that we absolutely do not want there.

“They’re not there to play for the badge. They’re there to create a profile for themselves.

“I was reading about one player trying to make themself a brand like Beckham which is shocking really. But there are players there that do not belong in the dressing room.

“And I think Ole has done really well in kind of sifting them out of the picture really, so we only get reminded that they’re there in a chat like this, or reading about the squad. I think he’s done an amazing job.”

------

He might be including Pogba to some extent, but it's so obvious that the main one is Lingard that I almost feel sorry for him being called out like that. For somebody who is already struggling for confidence it must be shattering for a club legend to be talking about you like that.
If you do stuff like Lingard has on his whole Jlingz thing, then this will always come your way. He is one of those players who got really lucky compared to his talent level, and seems to know that. I think he has minted it for what it's worth, and can't see why Peter should mince his words.

Also, this does not apply to Pogba clearly as he is not someone whose name comes up only when you see the squad list. He is an integral part of this first team.

Prodigal7

The hate Lingard gets is just pathetic.
Some of the posts defending him are equally pathetic though. It’s natural people get pushed to the extremes of either side of the argument when you’re debating on a forum because of the design of a forum platform.

Still, given his performance, exorbitant wages and off field antics, he deserves criticism and I’m glad the club are finally standing up to a player publicly.

mu4c_20le

If you do stuff like Lingard has on his whole Jlingz thing, then this will always come your way. He is one of those players who got really lucky compared to his talent level, and seems to know that. I think he has minted it for what it's worth, and can't see why Peter should mince his words.

Also, this does not apply to Pogba clearly as he is not someone whose name comes up only when you see the squad list. He is an integral part of this first team.
He's not the only one, is he? Remember that ridiculous period where a bunch of them were promoting their own brands and fashion lines, including Rashford. I think the leadership at the time has as much to blame as the individuals. Singling out Lingard seems a bit much.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Some of the posts defending him are equally pathetic though. It’s natural people get pushed to the extremes of either side of the argument when you’re debating on a forum because of the design of a forum platform.

Still, given his performance, exorbitant wages and off field antics, he deserves criticism and I’m glad the club are finally standing up to a player publicly.
No it isn't. It's perfectly possible and indeed reasonable to hold an opinion that doesn't sit at the extreme of either side. You're not a child. It's also possible to think he isn't good enough without attacking every aspect of his being.

What off field antics are we talking about specifically here?

clarkydaz

He must have some business sense, he's conned United out of millions - about £8million in the last 18 months for a goal against Astana in a meaningless match which we lost (he was captain!) and a goal against Tranmere in a 6-0 win in the Cup - money really well spent.
The fact that he can't pass, shoot, tackle or make intelligent runs is irrelevant. He scored his last Premier League goal in Ole's first match against Cardiff in 2018.

Nobody would be insane enough to buy him either.
Over the last 7 years, who hasnt

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He was probably hoping to have a good time with the ladies but realised if you wear JLingz clothes you don't score.
:lol: well done.

I think we can all agree the Lingard experiment is done, he had some good moments and had that one incredible burst of form, but I think for his sake he needs to move on and rediscover his form elsewhere.

Prodigal7

No it isn't. It's perfectly possible and indeed reasonable to hold an opinion that doesn't sit at the extreme of either side. You're not a child. It's also possible to think he isn't good enough without attacking every aspect of his being.

What off field antics are we talking about specifically here?
Opportunistically promoting your clothing brand before Liverpool games, posting juvenile videos of 12 year olds revving up your car and and that pre season vid in the hotel. Hardly a role model for our other academy players coming through in any way. He comes across as self obsessed with a mental age of 12 at best, living in a bubble and I don't like subsidizing his massively exorbitant wages especially given his performances.

I've no reason to doubt big Pete's comments about Ole sifting out the bad eggs and neither should anyone else IMO. Hiring Raiola given his deteriorated relationship with the club should also show people the kind of attitude Lingard has. I feel more than entitled to criticize him.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The greats of sports should focus on their sport, Michael Jordan has made over $1bn from Nike with Air Jordans now, and it's purely because he was the GOAT basketball player, his performances on the field made him marketable.

Opening your clothing line but being average of the field doesn't, let youngsters growing up dream of being you on the field, don't shamelessly promote a brand and deliver average performances.

Clearly Lingard, he's not good enough for United, but he will do good in a midtable signed.

Just like Welbeck and Cleverley ended up at Watford, Lingard will eventually end up at one of those sides.

Definitely not wrong to move the players on, football comes first.

When you are earning £100,000 a week, your focus shouldn't be building a brand, it should be winning trophies.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm going to take Lingard in defense here because holy hell this needs to stop right now. It's time for everyone to get with the changing times. Social media has completely changes how sport stars and people in general live their lives, for better or worse is irrelevant of the fact. Thanks to social media sport stars have a enormous platform to promote brands, and brands will happily pay. The only thing smarter than promoting other brands? Make your own. Footballers are, contrary to middle aged men 40+ belief allowed to have other pursuits in their 20s and 30s that does not evolve around their football clubs.

Do I LIKE the self promotion on the pitch? I don't care one way or the other. Is it my right to tell 20 something year olds that they cant take advantage of opportunities presented to them in a new media age? No. Are these opportunities contradictory to performance on a fotball ptich? Hard no.

Thing is, no one would speak shit about Lingard if he actually performed on the pitch and that is the ONLY thing to take away from this. Its purely and only a big grievance and easy target to nitpick at. As long as the player is struggling, all the criticism of his antics is going to overshadow his performance. What promotion does he do? A goal scoring handsignal that he made into a personal brand? Yeah ok, so what? Exactly SO what? The difference is that we live in a modern day in 2020 where MANY players have out-of-football interests that certainly play into their brand. Jesse Lingards only fault is to occasionally do some brand promotion on his social media account in his spare time. That's it. That is the ONLY thing he does that everyone are so pissed off about. I don't quite understand where this idea comes from that if the player is struggling on the pitch he should not do brand promotions. Really? Get over yourselves RIGHT NOW. How many hours of the day do you imagine this takes? The player attends every practice and takes part in all team scheduled acitivities like every single player on this team. There has never been any reports about Lingard being unprofessional in the workplace, none. So what is the problem here? That he thinks about SOMETHING ELSE when he's home? Good Lord how DARE he not focus every minute of his being on better himself on the pitch? Oh yeah, we have no idea that he doesn't do we because we don't live with him.

A few facts that everyone just needs to know right now:

Jesse Lingard made a face mask that costs £12. His target market is obviously young fans. The proceeds go to the NHS in their entirety. So here a player is using his brand for a good cause. And let's not compare him to Marcus Rashford who really should be knighted after his efforts during the pandemic, no one comes close to what he did. The point is that Lingard did something good with his brand, and I'll happily point it out. And when i say Jesse Lingard made it: I mean his designer and whoever is in charge of purchase and manufacturing planning did. Lingard's role his company is as owner and instagram post maker.

Jesse Lingard does not actually take part in the day to day operation of his brand. Period. His focus is on his family first, Manchester United equal first, His brand a close third as a sidethough. Now why do i know that? Because that's how life is.

Zlatan has his clothing line. No one gives him shit because he's an amazing footballer. His clothing line also was a massive failure, I actually adviced the Norwegian distributor to cut their losses.
Ronaldo has his CR7 brand. Same story, amazing baller, no complaints.
Paul Pogba has his Adidas X endorsement - Again, performing player
Christian Fuchs has his No Fuchs Given brand. Does he receive the vitrol Lingard gets?
Leo Messi does more Pepsi promotions than the pope, and of course no one complaints about the GOAT because he delivers on the pitch.

If Lingard was doing CR7 stuff, Smeichel would not have one single complaint about Lingard. Nor would anyone here. In fact some of you here would even BUY his merchandise. There's a nice word for hating on Lingards brand and not others doing brand promotion: Rampant hypocrisy. Go on Peter, call out Leo Messi for mostly caring about his Pepsi endorsement.

There's a very good Players Tribune by Lingard people should read, https://www.theplayerstribune.com/e...promise-you-never-read-a-story-like-this-mate - It offers a bit of perspective on the person Jesse Lingard, not just the struggling player that is currently out of favor with the club.

I'm so sick and tired of this constant nitpicking on players after hours ventures without any sense of reflection or understanding of how anything works that I just don't get it, why bother forming an opinion without knowing why you have this opinion?

I do think its time for Jesse to move on, his peformances aren't good enough and he's had enough time to turn it around. But enough shittalking for having a clothing brand, just bloody stop it. It has everything to do with the player being out of form and unable to regain it like thousands before him, not becuase he happens to have a instagram account and having a small company.
I didn’t read it all it was too long but I got a fair way down. The promotion lingard uses is not his hand signal on the pitch, he never scores. It’s the fact that he’s a Man united player, that’s his absolute one and only massive promotion. Yet he was a a first team Man Utd player when we were Going through a dreadful patch and it just seemed to take the piss. He done nothing to help Man United but dined our in their previous glory.

georgipep

When you've to resort to personal insults you lose the debate.

Who says I'm currently working? I could work shift? I could be on annual leave? I could be adversely affected due to a certain pandemic, none of which would be of your business.

But funny you mention it, yes in past I have been pulled up for poor public performance in my younger days.

Simple question, why have you such a bizarre hard on to defend such a distinctly average footballer?

You are getting personal and aggressive in defence of a person and player who means nothing to you I would assume, I mean he's likely not a loved family member or dear friend so why get so upset?
Obviously you are having trouble arguing in a meaningful way. He is not defending his football performance but his personal right to do whatever he wants in his free time.

Creating, managing and promoting a clothing brand is way more respectful than being an Internet troll who foams around their mouth from trashing public personas they dislike for one reason or another.

And to your previous point on his loss of form, have you stopped to think his family issues (including his mother's health problems) have anything to do with that? He was promoting his brand when he was playing well. Why wasn't his form suffering then?

Have you had to deal with a family member suffering from a serious disease or medical condition? It can seriously mess with a person's work ethic, focus and application.

But that's just me trying not to be a hateful twat and looking at footballers as humans first and foremost.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
All those comments may not be aimed at one player, Ole gave Lingard a lot of minutes, I don't think that would have been the case of he was a bad dressing room influence. I suspect Sanchez and Lukaku were the ones with the bad attitudes, and didn't Sanchez have a clothing brand too?

ivaldo

Opportunistically promoting your clothing brand before Liverpool games, posting juvenile videos of 12 year olds revving up your car and and that pre season vid in the hotel. Hardly a role model for our other academy players coming through in any way. He comes across as self obsessed with a mental age of 12 at best, living in a bubble and I don't like subsidizing his massively exorbitant wages especially given his performances.

I've no reason to doubt big Pete's comments about Ole sifting out the bad eggs and neither should anyone else IMO. Hiring Raiola given his deteriorated relationship with the club should also show people the kind of attitude Lingard has. I feel more than entitled to criticize him.
Exactly. Just listen to yourself. It's pathetic anyone would feel that strongly about something so trivial. He's not going out and getting shit faced, he isn't staying up until 2 in the morning or ignoring lockdown rules. He isn't turning up late to training, and certainly isn't seen to not be putting the effort it. But no, he make a video of a kid revving his car! What a terrible human being!

Prodigal7

Exactly. Just listen to yourself. It's pathetic anyone would feel that strongly about something so trivial. He's not going out and getting shit faced, he isn't staying up until 2 in the morning or ignoring lockdown rules. He isn't turning up late to training, and certainly isn't seen to not be putting the effort it. But no, he make a video of a kid revving his car! What a terrible human being!
The bolded shenanigans are only part of why he makes me angry if you actually read the rest of the post.
Lingard is the embodiment of everything that’s been wrong with the club in recent years.

ivaldo

The bolded shenanigans are only part of why he makes me angry if you actually read the rest of the post.
Lingard is the embodiment of everything that’s been wrong with the club in recent years.
Yes, it's bullshit. If Lingard was world class you wouldn't be writing long posts about how he's a 12 year old. But because he's not good enough for us, all of a sudden posting a video of a kid revving an engine is an abomination.

ruskyline

I'm going to take Lingard in defense here because holy hell this needs to stop right now. It's time for everyone to get with the changing times. Social media has completely changes how sport stars and people in general live their lives, for better or worse is irrelevant of the fact. Thanks to social media sport stars have a enormous platform to promote brands, and brands will happily pay. The only thing smarter than promoting other brands? Make your own. Footballers are, contrary to middle aged men 40+ belief allowed to have other pursuits in their 20s and 30s that does not evolve around their football clubs.

Do I LIKE the self promotion on the pitch? I don't care one way or the other. Is it my right to tell 20 something year olds that they cant take advantage of opportunities presented to them in a new media age? No. Are these opportunities contradictory to performance on a fotball ptich? Hard no.

Thing is, no one would speak shit about Lingard if he actually performed on the pitch and that is the ONLY thing to take away from this. Its purely and only a big grievance and easy target to nitpick at. As long as the player is struggling, all the criticism of his antics is going to overshadow his performance. What promotion does he do? A goal scoring handsignal that he made into a personal brand? Yeah ok, so what? Exactly SO what? The difference is that we live in a modern day in 2020 where MANY players have out-of-football interests that certainly play into their brand. Jesse Lingards only fault is to occasionally do some brand promotion on his social media account in his spare time. That's it. That is the ONLY thing he does that everyone are so pissed off about. I don't quite understand where this idea comes from that if the player is struggling on the pitch he should not do brand promotions. Really? Get over yourselves RIGHT NOW. How many hours of the day do you imagine this takes? The player attends every practice and takes part in all team scheduled acitivities like every single player on this team. There has never been any reports about Lingard being unprofessional in the workplace, none. So what is the problem here? That he thinks about SOMETHING ELSE when he's home? Good Lord how DARE he not focus every minute of his being on better himself on the pitch? Oh yeah, we have no idea that he doesn't do we because we don't live with him.

A few facts that everyone just needs to know right now:

Jesse Lingard made a face mask that costs £12. His target market is obviously young fans. The proceeds go to the NHS in their entirety. So here a player is using his brand for a good cause. And let's not compare him to Marcus Rashford who really should be knighted after his efforts during the pandemic, no one comes close to what he did. The point is that Lingard did something good with his brand, and I'll happily point it out. And when i say Jesse Lingard made it: I mean his designer and whoever is in charge of purchase and manufacturing planning did. Lingard's role his company is as owner and instagram post maker.

Jesse Lingard does not actually take part in the day to day operation of his brand. Period. His focus is on his family first, Manchester United equal first, His brand a close third as a sidethough. Now why do i know that? Because that's how life is.

Zlatan has his clothing line. No one gives him shit because he's an amazing footballer. His clothing line also was a massive failure, I actually adviced the Norwegian distributor to cut their losses.
Ronaldo has his CR7 brand. Same story, amazing baller, no complaints.
Paul Pogba has his Adidas X endorsement - Again, performing player
Christian Fuchs has his No Fuchs Given brand. Does he receive the vitrol Lingard gets?
Leo Messi does more Pepsi promotions than the pope, and of course no one complaints about the GOAT because he delivers on the pitch.

If Lingard was doing CR7 stuff, Smeichel would not have one single complaint about Lingard. Nor would anyone here. In fact some of you here would even BUY his merchandise. There's a nice word for hating on Lingards brand and not others doing brand promotion: Rampant hypocrisy. Go on Peter, call out Leo Messi for mostly caring about his Pepsi endorsement.

There's a very good Players Tribune by Lingard people should read, https://www.theplayerstribune.com/e...promise-you-never-read-a-story-like-this-mate - It offers a bit of perspective on the person Jesse Lingard, not just the struggling player that is currently out of favor with the club.

I'm so sick and tired of this constant nitpicking on players after hours ventures without any sense of reflection or understanding of how anything works that I just don't get it, why bother forming an opinion without knowing why you have this opinion?

I do think its time for Jesse to move on, his peformances aren't good enough and he's had enough time to turn it around. But enough shittalking for having a clothing brand, just bloody stop it. It has everything to do with the player being out of form and unable to regain it like thousands before him, not becuase he happens to have a instagram account and having a small company.
Wow Big time thank you for your comment. I think PP has a bigger brand than anyone else on the field but no body cares because he delivers. Ronaldo David Beckham also had HUGE brands, way more than any of current United player can dream. No body cares because we were lucky to have super stars like them. If Lingard was as good as Ronaldo, no body would be talking about his brand as an issue.

TsuWave

Team seems to be heading somewhere and there appears to be harmony in the squad. Def don’t need this kind of stuff from these old heads man. Not everyday need to be in the press with a quote, sometimes just feck off

He'sRaldo

Team seems to be heading somewhere and there appears to be harmony in the squad. Def don’t need this kind of stuff from these old heads man. Not everyday need to be in the press with a quote, sometimes just feck off
Agreed. Ole has quietly gotten rid of unwanted/ under-performing players and will continue to do so. No need to call attention to it, let it happen in the background.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I don't feel he deserves any harshness tbh. Yeah he does stupid shit and tries to promote himself, but if he were any good we wouldn't care.

Sadly he isn't, so let's just quietly get rid. Tbh he can make a music video on our youtube channel for all I care as long as he leaves.

tenpoless

No idea why some of the posters take the criticism of Lingard so personally.

Can someone outline how a typical day should look for a footballer like Lingard, to show he is 100% focused on football? Serious/non-serious answers welcome
Well for me it is not about his day to day.

But he could have prevented himself from focusing on his brand when the team was struggling and he only played because utd had no one better. His contribution to the team was non existent but in his mind he was a star.

On top of that, his brand and 'i have made it' attitude gave his haters more reason to abuse him, which made everything worse. He should have learned from Cleverley. I honestly think he made things harder for himself. And it is not even that much related to new generation, social media, etc. It is his view on football. He took it for granted and deserves all the criticism.

If Lingard had the personality of Juan Mata, things could have been better. Wheter or not he will become a better player is another thing but at least he is not making himself a prime target for abuse. Brands could wait. Brand marketing is also about timing and not only to satisfy ego. He lost money. He got abused. What benefit did he get exactly? If you know you are average, at least try not to act like primadonna. An unwritten rule, that applies everywhere.

Last edited:

Tony247

1. Schmeichel will not natter nonsense, that too on MUTV
2. MUTV will not telecast if it is nonsense
3. Lingard or not, having character(s) described by him in around dressing room is concerning
4. Such characters are now getting sidelined by Ole is encouraging
5. Such characters thrived under previous managers is equally disheartening

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The only player who did promote his brand more than performing on the pitch, and finally got benched and phased out by Ole, is JLINGZ.

But you may also argue he never really had the chance promote his brand on the pitch with his trademark hand signature celebration, as he never score on pitch.

KetilOwren88

I think many people misunderstand what Big Pete means when they are comparing Lingard to Beckham and Ronaldo. These two became superstars and the hole world wanted to take part of it, not only fotball. With Beckham you could also argue he became a victim of his own fame. The point is these two players did both have strong images that were independent of the club. What seems to irritate Schmeichel is that Lingard is taking advantage of MUFC and his status as a player here to build a brand and earn money, and that seems to be his main focus now. We have to remember that Schmeichel got inside information that we dont know

Keefy18

Obviously you are having trouble arguing in a meaningful way. He is not defending his football performance but his personal right to do whatever he wants in his free time.
No idea where this idea comes from, you might want to scroll back through the comments and come back and offer me an apology.

It was Limerick who decided to insult me personally, not me insulting him.

Creating, managing and promoting a clothing brand is way more respectful than being an Internet troll who foams around their mouth from trashing public personas they dislike for one reason or another.

And to your previous point on his loss of form, have you stopped to think his family issues (including his mother's health problems) have anything to do with that? He was promoting his brand when he was playing well. Why wasn't his form suffering then?
Nice to see you've gone the route of personal insults as well, pathetic. There's no substance to your insults, I'm being honest about the situation and stating his loyalty and commitments first and foremost should be Manchester United. I mean, Jesse is quite easily dis-likable. The person we see and hear any time there is a camera around is a complete immature clown who has also been reprimanded by the club for his unprofessional antics in the summer, but you conveniently choose to forget or ignore that.

His brand is nothing without the club, he built it off the back of his name being linked to MUFC. If he wants to build a brand, go ahead...but perform for the club as well at the same time.

To your other point, his form was in the gutter before some of these personal problems. I sympathize with his personal issues, we all have them. Reality is though Ole obviously agrees he hasn't performed, isn't focused and thus likely is being moved on from the club.

But we've folks like you defending piss poor form and bad attitudes within the club, yet then expect us to challenge for titles?

Have you had to deal with a family member suffering from a serious disease or medical condition? It can seriously mess with a person's work ethic, focus and application.

But that's just me trying not to be a hateful twat and looking at footballers as humans first and foremost.
More insults, what a lovely person you are hey :)

Less of your preaching, we all face adversity in life. We all fall ill and will have to deal with that situation and some point or another in our lives, but again... his form pre dates many of these issues.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I think many people misunderstand what Big Pete means when they are comparing Lingard to Beckham and Ronaldo. These two became superstars and the hole world wanted to take part of it, not only fotball. With Beckham you could also argue he became a victim of his own fame. The point is these two players did both have strong images that were independent of the club. What seems to irritate Schmeichel is that Lingard is taking advantage of MUFC and his status as a player here to build a brand and earn money, and that seems to be his main focus now. We have to remember that Schmeichel got inside information that we dont know
Can you please elaborate on this statement. What is Lingard actively doing that makes you believe his only focus is on earning money?

georgipep

It was Limerick who decided to insult me personally, not me insulting him.
Did you see my anywhere defending him insulting you? As I wrote quite clearly, my point is him defending Lingard as a person, which is exactly what you are attacking AND insulting.
I mean, Jesse is quite easily dis-likable. The person we see and hear any time there is a camera around is a complete immature clown who has also been reprimanded by the club for his unprofessional antics in the summer, but you conveniently choose to forget or ignore that.
You know what is immature in my view? People posting sh!t online for other people whose taste they do not approve. Lingard was reprimanded by the club and then your hatred stopped?
His brand is nothing without the club, he built it off the back of his name being linked to MUFC. If he wants to build a brand, go ahead...but perform for the club as well at the same time.
Most importantly, his brand is none of your concern. If it is nothing without the club you have nothing to worry about. His on-field performance is something you can critisize but that hasn't been the main topic of your posts now, has it?
But we've folks like you defending piss poor form and bad attitudes within the club, yet then expect us to challenge for titles?
I am going to repeat that you can't argue in any meaningful way. I am not defending his poor form. I don't think many have recently. I am defending his right as a human to do whatever he wants in his spare time. You may believe he "must commit 100% of his time to Manchester United" but that is simply not true. You may throw tantrums and insults as much as you like, doesn't change that fact.
Less of your preaching, we all face adversity in life. We all fall ill and will have to deal with that situation and some point or another in our lives, but again... his form pre dates many of these issues.
If you consider being empathetic towards other people's suffering "preaching", I don't know what to tell you. You are right, we all fall ill and we have to deal with it. And I hope you don't get the same "understanding" as you are showing here when that time comes in your life.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Only at MUFC we will find fans defending perennially underperforming players like Lingard citing reasons like "personal problems" and "he is just a human" and at the same time will be applauding clubs like Bayern for their ruthlessness. The double standards here are astonishing.

The only fecking reason why they do it because he is an academy lad and English. Mental.

My company will fire me if I underperform for an entire quarter let alone 3 years.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He'll be talking about Pogba. Keane, Neville, Scholes, Sheringham, Ince etc all have an agenda against him. Wouldn't surprise me if Pete holds the same view.

Sometimes I wish our legends would be more like Beckham and just STFU.

Keefy18

Did you see my anywhere defending him insulting you? As I wrote quite clearly, my point is him defending Lingard as a person, which is exactly what you are attacking AND insulting.
He actually insulted me personally, which there was no need to do.

Folks can defend him if they like but then there was Limericks & now your level of defence where it was turning personal and some of the replies are shall we say, intense and over the top?

I simply asked him why get so heated about it?

You know what is immature in my view? People posting sh!t online for other people whose taste they do not approve. Lingard was reprimanded by the club and then your hatred stopped?
If you don't like a person, does your dislike instantly stop? No. What an idiotic sentiment.

I don't like the person I see and hear from interviews and his social media profile, he portrays a ridiculous level of self entitlement and immaturity. I am not alone in thinking that clearly.

Most importantly, his brand is none of your concern. If it is nothing without the club you have nothing to worry about.
Well it is, its for the public. He puts himself out there to endorse his brand with his social media profile and his antics. It's for all the public to "consume" and take on board and decide if they wish to invest in it or not.

As pointed out other players have brands and they don't conduct themselves in the same way publicly. I quite like Beckham and never batted an eyelid about his personal business ventures to brand himself, Ronaldo similar and so and so on.

When we support the club financially and are invested in it emotionally as supporters we have a right to expect certain standards, it's Ole's & the boards job to hold these players to certain standards and as pointed out, he obviously isn't meeting those standards is he? That includes on and off the pitch.

His on-field performance is something you can critisize but that hasn't been the main topic of your posts now, has it?
Actually it has, I've said time and time and time again... he isn't up to standards. So Ole will most likely move him on and we'll all be better off for it..

I am going to repeat that you can't argue in any meaningful way. I am not defending his poor form. I don't think many have recently. I am defending his right as a human to do whatever he wants in his spare time.
I haven't once stated he can't do what he likes in his spare time, he can. Beckham was and is a class act and Ronaldo too in their personal time for the vast majority and its far easier to like them for it then isn't it?

I'm simply pointing out he's been a complete idiot in his spare time and hasn't been focused because of it and the club clearly feckin agrees and we have members her not dealing in the reality of the situation.

I'm arguing the clubs line that players are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner on and off the pitch and you're banging on like his human rights have been violated for god sake give over with the dramatics.

Go start a go fund me or change.org for him if you feel he's so hard done by then.

You may believe he "must commit 100% of his time to Manchester United" but that is simply not true. You may throw tantrums and insults as much as you like, doesn't change that fact.
Again I didn't say he had to commit 100% of his *time* to United. When we say committed that can be construed in many ways obviously.

Players are free to do as they please in their own time, he chose to be a bit of an idiot with his social media profile and failed business ventures that's his choice. Others have branded themselves and basically not been a plonker on social media and still perform as well.

There's a clear and distinct difference you obviously can't see.

Tony247

Starting and managing a business is full time job. Can get quite consuming at times. If you are a top footballer and know even if you go couple of notch down you can still pull 7/10 performance then yes why not indulge into a side business? But when you are consistently giving 4/10 performance on millions $/yr wages, and at the same time putting your spare efforts into your business then that naturally wouldn't go well with the supporters.