Scholes Interview

Bestietom

Well thats what I mean, the left forward like Rashford wants to play. Thats where he was before and its arguable that he was just as good there as he was through the middle last season because he essentially does the same thing and plays off the left anyway. That tends to be where he scores from the same as Rashford, picking the ball up towards the left and working towards the box and getting a shot away
Then we should play Rashford on right and Martial on left with Cavani at CF.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He didn’t “study to become a director of football”
I know that, and also I don't think there is any course you can undertake to become a DoF (If there is I'm definitely taking one :D). I think what Scholsey is saying is VDS has undergone training or study for a role, in addition to his footballing experience, that prepares him to work at an executive level for a football club.

We have all seen Scholes speak, he isn't always the most coherent, but people having a go at him for using the wrong terminology is a bit over the top. We all get the gist of what he is trying to say.

Ekeke

Then we should play Rashford on right and Martial on left with Cavani at CF.
Neither one has shown much ability to play on the right. Not that the competition has been fierce from Mata, Lingard and James... They've been poor too

Moiraine

Every year there’s some competition on who was the worst poster, best, etc. Obviously they were wrong in giving me this award, but Feck’em:lol:. I don’t know if there’s going to be another comp this year though.
I don’t believe you, if there was an award for worst poster, i was head and shoulders above and should have 4-5 against my name :D

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought VDS was offered the job but he refused, he wants Ed's as the chief executive job not DoF. He wants more power & control. As DoF he's technically just a puppet for Ed, advisor for both Ed & Ole. Beside, he is chief executive of Ajax so doesn't make sense to downgrade to DoF.

Ed just needs to step down and back to his pervious role at United and let VDS takes the chief executive which will only gonna happen in our dream.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I thought VDS was offered the job but he refused, he wants Ed's as the chief executive job not DoF. He wants more power & control. As DoF he's technically just a puppet for Ed, advisor for both Ed & Ole. Beside, he is chief executive of Ajax so doesn't make sense to downgrade to DoF.

Ed just needs to step down and back to his pervious role at United and let VDS takes the chief executive which will only gonna happen in our dream.
It's not likely Woodward will accept a demotion and agree to having someone between him and the owners, and they seem to like him too.

If he's not getting sacked I think the club should split the CEO job into Chief of Financial Operations and Director of Football, both who answer directly to the board.

Green_Red

I actually thought that upon seeing this tweet, "This looks like something you would see on the caf" :lol:
I bet he already is. He's probably responsible for the "we should sell Martial" thread.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
he's absolutely right about Martial - I've been saying that for two years. He may score some great goals but he is not an out-and-out centre forward/goal scorer
Him being right or wrong isn't the issue, it's him flip flopping so quickly like that. He loses all kinda credibility by doing this.

bsCallout

Their front 3 plays better than Rashford, Martial and whoever plays on the right e.g. James, Greenwood. They don't need one for that purpose.
So it isnt required.

& didnt our 3 outscore them? Despite being much younger.

He'sRaldo

Sort out our buildup and chance creation, and you'll see Martial's goals shoot up (and the rest of our forwards as well). It's that simple really.

When last did we create the amount of chances top teams do on the regular?

RUCK4444

Sort out our buildup and chance creation, and you'll see Martial's goals shoot up (and the rest of our forwards as well). It's that simple really.

When last did we create the amount of chances top teams do on the regular?
Not necessarily, some (including myself) have concerns about his positioning and movement as a no 9.

He doesn’t occupy the oppositions 6 yard box enough to guarantee more goals from what your asking for in ‘creating more chances.’

His main threat is dribbling and linkup in the final third which he’s class at, but that in itself is better from the wing.

If Cavani has any sort of form left in him for us you will understand exactly what I’m getting at when you see it.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I do think Scholes' idea of what a forward should be is a bit old fashioned, and he'd have been saying the same about Firmino before the Mane-Firmino-Salah trio caught fire, but it is an interesting way to think about the Sancho decision. We certainly don't have to play Martial as a "false nine" type and his best qualities can be utilised as a supporting / wide forward, and if we're getting fleeced for Sancho then it might just make more sense to spend a little less on a #9 and move things around. If we could get Haaland for a lot less then doing that and giving Martial a different role would be a much better decision.

But then that's built on the assumption that we have all these choices. Getting fleeced for Sancho isn't a great choice but it's probably better than losing another bidding war for Haaland.

He'sRaldo

Not necessarily, some (including myself) have concerns about his positioning and movement as a no 9.

He doesn’t occupy the oppositions 6 yard box enough to guarantee more goals from what your asking for in ‘creating more chances.’

His main threat is dribbling and linkup in the final third which he’s class at, but that in itself is better from the wing.

If Cavani has any sort of form left in him for us you will understand exactly what I’m getting at when you see it.
I understand what you mean and you're correct about his tendencies, but I think the right question hasn't been asked yet. He does indeed sometimes go to the wing, but then the question is why does he do that? I think the answer, which I touched on, is our poor buildup.

I've seen him play games where he doesn't stray far from the box, and the ball never comes near him as a result. And after a while in such games he usually takes matters into his own hands, coming deeper or wider to dribble into the box and try and combine or score. Often successfully.

That's why I think that if we had a team which created chances in the 6 yard box on the regular, he wouldn't make these movements as much. He's still a fluid player capable of operating on the wing or in the middle so for sure he'll move around, but not out of necessity or to create his own chances.

With that said I am interested in seeing how Cavani does with forwards like Rashford and Greenwood flanking him. He has better movement than Martial so I'm curious as to just how much of a difference it makes.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He thinks we should get Van Der Sar as DOF because he’s done such a great job at Ajax (where he is CEO), should have taken Cavani on loan (he was a free agent) & thinks we should be looking at Harry Kane instead of Jadon Sancho because we need a striker more than a right winger (we have 4 natural strikers & no natural right wingers)

Great football player doesn’t always mean great football mind. That is all.

clarkydaz

And didn't take any penalties. Imagine if he took penalties we're talking about golden boots all of a sudden.
A lot of these ex United players retired legends are the real conmen. They con you into thinking they are experts because they played the game when in reality that couldnt be further from the truth

Just look this :
On a daily basis too :lol:
Big Pete said he wanted to be our DOF. Seemingly on the fact he wasnt doing anything else at the time

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I do think Scholes' idea of what a forward should be is a bit old fashioned, and he'd have been saying the same about Firmino before the Mane-Firmino-Salah trio caught fire, but it is an interesting way to think about the Sancho decision. We certainly don't have to play Martial as a "false nine" type and his best qualities can be utilised as a supporting / wide forward, and if we're getting fleeced for Sancho then it might just make more sense to spend a little less on a #9 and move things around. If we could get Haaland for a lot less then doing that and giving Martial a different role would be a much better decision.

But then that's built on the assumption that we have all these choices. Getting fleeced for Sancho isn't a great choice but it's probably better than losing another bidding war for Haaland.
The Haaland ship has probably sailed, unfortunately.

There are other top quality number nines out there though, who would instantly improve us more than Sancho at much less cost.

Liverpool managed to sign one of Wolves best performers. Couldn’t we have tested their resolve with Jimenez?

I also noticed a big, strong direct number nine playing for Belgium the other day who was causing Maguire et al a load of problems. Under the right manager he could probably improve us too.

lsd

The Oracle
He thinks we should get Van Der Sar as DOF because he’s done such a great job at Ajax (where he is CEO), should have taken Cavani on loan (he was a free agent) & thinks we should be looking at Harry Kane instead of Jadon Sancho because we need a striker more than a right winger (we have 4 natural strikers & no natural right wingers)

Great football player doesn’t always mean great football mind. That is all.

We do not have four number 9 tyoe forwards which is what he is talking about .

OleTheGreat

He didn’t say he doesn’t not want Sancho only that he wasn’t that upset because he see’s centre forward as a main priority.
True but with all the high priority in the summer being a right sided forward and that we had our eye on Sancho, I think he missed the point. We do have Martial ( who I know has difficulties leading the line but with the addition of Sancho, they can play a flexible front 3. I think Martial, Rashford and Sancho can move around and create goal scoring opportunities from either side. Of course we need a striker but the right wing has always been a problem for us since 7 seasons ago. Our attack is always running from the left side and most of our players are moved to the left what with play being left sided the most. We get caught on the ball most often because our right sided forwards come inside and left the play wide open, easier to defend and push on the same side. Wan Bissaka is weak there we he comes in wide and leaves his defensive side wide open which Lindelof or Matic cannot cover. That's the problem. With Sancho, he's provide the width we are dying for and Wan Bissaka can move forward comfortably. We now need Sancho or a similar type of player, we definitely need a defensive midfielder and a center back.

Deery

Dreary
True but with all the high priority in the summer being a right sided forward and that we had our eye on Sancho, I think he missed the point. We do have Martial ( who I know has difficulties leading the line but with the addition of Sancho, they can play a flexible front 3. I think Martial, Rashford and Sancho can move around and create goal scoring opportunities from either side. Of course we need a striker but the right wing has always been a problem for us since 7 seasons ago. Our attack is always running from the left side and most of our players are moved to the left what with play being left sided the most. We get caught on the ball most often because our right sided forwards come inside and left the play wide open, easier to defend and push on the same side. Wan Bissaka is weak there we he comes in wide and leaves his defensive side wide open which Lindelof or Matic cannot cover. That's the problem. With Sancho, he's provide the width we are dying for and Wan Bissaka can move forward comfortably. We now need Sancho or a similar type of player, we definitely need a defensive midfielder and a center back.
Don’t know I’d disagree I think Shaw is a weak link in defence because players get in behind him easy and he’s to fat to track back. It doesn’t help AWB that he gets no cover from his forwards in front of him either mainly Greenwood.

With Haaland over Sancho he would occupy the two central defenders and we wouldn’t need to play so close to goal as he’d be a out ball with his pace and physicality.

But it’s a game of opinions..

OleTheGreat

Don’t know I’d disagree I think Shaw is a weak link in defence because players get in behind him easy and he’s to fat to track back. It doesn’t help AWB that he gets no cover from his forwards in front of him either mainly Greenwood.

With Haaland over Sancho he would occupy the two central defenders and we wouldn’t need to play so close to goal as he’d be a out ball with his pace and physicality.

But it’s a game of opinions..
Regardless of all this, our team really doesn't press throughout the game. We can say anything about the players and who we want in/out but I think we will all agree to the fact that our team really doesn't play as a team. Ole always said he doesn't mind if we lose the ball as long as we go back and retrieve it but more often than not, we lose the ball and find it really hard to recover. We never get close to the player who has the ball, even away from the box which bothers me a lot. We always try to stay with the player and lose the player running forward. It is so pathetic we don't work hard for the ball or with it.

Deery

Dreary
Regardless of all this, our team really doesn't press throughout the game. We can say anything about the players and who we want in/out but I think we will all agree to the fact that our team really doesn't play as a team. Ole always said he doesn't mind if we lose the ball as long as we go back and retrieve it but more often than not, we lose the ball and find it really hard to recover. We never get close to the player who has the ball, even away from the box which bothers me a lot. We always try to stay with the player and lose the player running forward. It is so pathetic we don't work hard for the ball or with it.
Do you know who would be great for us that Allan for Everton he does exactly what you’re talking about, hounds down the team with the ball then simply passes it to a better player. Very mobile too. I think sometimes with Matic he plays almost like a centre back in midfield just controlling an area where as Allan gets about a lot.

Early days yet but he’s one to look keep an eye on if you enjoy that side of the game.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The Haaland ship has probably sailed, unfortunately.

There are other top quality number nines out there though, who would instantly improve us more than Sancho at much less cost.

Liverpool managed to sign one of Wolves best performers. Couldn’t we have tested their resolve with Jimenez?

I also noticed a big, strong direct number nine playing for Belgium the other day who was causing Maguire et al a load of problems. Under the right manager he could probably improve us too.
I dunno, I wouldn't say it's slim pickings out there but outside of Haaland I can see very few elite strikers comparable to a decade ago. Which is why I was fine with Lukaku despite his limitations and why I'm alright with Martial despite his.

Jimenez doesn't really do it for me, he has other qualities that they don't but I'm sure he wouldn't be the guaranteed goalscorer Scholes is talking about, and someone that old would have to be to justify the short term investment. I'm happier with Cavani than him personally. If we'd have gone for Werner we'd just have different complaints but the same level of them. Yet given the options out there he seems a sensible buy for Chelsea.

I reckon Kane is a possible rabbit we could pull out of the hat, if Mourinho poisons the atmosphere and this team looks like it's reached a ceiling Kane can't accept. Obviously we'd need to get our own house in order first, so all those stars aligning is a long shot, but I think it's plausible.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Him being right or wrong isn't the issue, it's him flip flopping so quickly like that. He loses all kinda credibility by doing this.
he's never exactly been a great pundit! he was so quiet as a player (re interviews etc), I was amazed anyone hired him

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
he's never exactly been a great pundit! he was so quiet as a player (re interviews etc), I was amazed anyone hired him
I guess they hoped the insights of a former great player would be of the same level.
I've noticed that among all the ex players, most of who had decent/ok careers are actually better than the ones who were more famous. Of course there are exceptions but generally speaking I mean

OleTheGreat

Do you know who would be great for us that Allan for Everton he does exactly what you’re talking about, hounds down the team with the ball then simply passes it to a better player. Very mobile too. I think sometimes with Matic he plays almost like a centre back in midfield just controlling an area where as Allan gets about a lot.

Early days yet but he’s one to look keep an eye on if you enjoy that side of the game.
True that. I think Allen is very good at that and has been good at Napoli (where Anchelotti worked before Everton) before coming here. Although I think Camavinga has lately impressed a lot and we must go for him in the upcoming windows to stabilize our midfield. I'm a huge fan of Pogba but I don't think it's working for him at United anymore. He's never really got going here. He still has a season to prove us all wrong but if we don't manage to make it to the Top4, I don't see him in our future plans. What do you think of Ole's chances this season? Mind you, he was not backed and Poch is sitting in the corner. Will the cycle repeat itself?

Deery

Dreary
True that. I think Allen is very good at that and has been good at Napoli (where Anchelotti worked before Everton) before coming here. Although I think Camavinga has lately impressed a lot and we must go for him in the upcoming windows to stabilize our midfield. I'm a huge fan of Pogba but I don't think it's working for him at United anymore. He's never really got going here. He still has a season to prove us all wrong but if we don't manage to make it to the Top4, I don't see him in our future plans. What do you think of Ole's chances this season? Mind you, he was not backed and Poch is sitting in the corner. Will the cycle repeat itself?
I’m really not sure if and it’s a big if we get over the next 5-6 games with some decent results then I think he can hold on to his job, but with Maguire and DeGea both completely shot, Martial suspended, Rashford and Pogba not firing I don’t even see him beating Newcastle. Then we have PSG coming who were CL finalists last year so things don’t get easier.

It will take a great manager to even operate the coming fixtures, it really is Ole’s biggest test and to be honest I’m not sure he’ll be here come the WBA match just after the international break because we traditionally know what happens at these times.