Scholes Interview

Deery

Dreary
100% behind Scholes on this we need Haaland more than we need Sancho..

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
It does say it all that he doesn't even realise VDS isn't a DOF, he's the CEO. Overmars is in the DOF role (Technical Director).

Reactions: golden_blunder

dal

Isn’t that why we signed Cavani though as we are aware we need one but want to see if Martial can keep going.

Also how the hell can Scholes judge martial so soon, hes played 3 games without a pre-season.

We are obviously going to get better. It may sound crazy but I do feel the success of this season will depend on how well either Tuanzebe or Mengi can bed in:wenger:.

OleBoiii

They're accurate. Martial is a quality player but putting him as a #9 actually limits some of his better qualities.
Martial is a strange one. He hasn't got a single defensive fiber in his body, so if you play him on the wing then you essentially give more defensive responsibilities to the fullback and CM covering the space behind him. This isn't necessarily a problem(look at Neymar) but it can be a limitation if the team isn't top class and can afford this "luxury". He's not a good crosser of the ball either, so that's another winger skill he's missing.

Basically he's neither a winger nor a CF, but something in between.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He also said Cavani should've been a loan signing... hmm.

Stretender

I think people are getting their knickers in a twist here. How dare for Scholes to criticise future ballon 'dor winner Martial and best player in the world Sancho.

The truth is he is right in what he is saying if you look at things with a balanced rational view.

Sancho is a good player, we needed him, but it is crazy to pay 120 million for him. A reasonably priced Sancho would be a good investment.

Secondly, contrary to what most Martial fans think and I am one of them, he will not score enough goals in a season to win us the league. He is good to have in the team though but not as an out and out number 9. We need a proper goal scorer.

Thirdly, Edwin Van Der Sar would be a massive improvement on the shambles of Ed Woodward and Matt Judge.

However, like most pundits, he is wrong though to think we can just go to Spurs and pinch their best player. Levy would charge us twice as much as Dortmund wanted for Sancho.The Harry Kane dream at United is delusional at best.

He is also wrong in failing to point out that Ole is not the coach who can take this team to the top. He hasn't mentioned the results of poor coaching we see on the pitch every weekend.

In summary he is just talking like any confused fan on here.

A-man

Great player Scholes but he is not making much sense Sancho is nothing alike our front three , he doesn't even realise Van Der Sar isn't DOF at Ajax and How can any body study for Dof role at University. No matter who we get as CF unless we start creating quality chances they would struggle. Truth to be told this Interview doesn't reflect well on Scholes at all he comes across as bit simple if this is his opinion.

Just to add further do these pundits ever do any homework because they can't even get their facts right.
Unfortunately there are a lot of fantastic ex players who need to share their opinions in media without actually having more analytical skills than an ordinary football fan.

Xaviboy

Think I seen somewhere that Teddy Sheringham said the same about Martial. Utd wont win a premier league with Martial as a number 9.

devips

Martial FC seem to be present at full strength here to defend their idol!

Great player Scholes but he is not making much sense Sancho is nothing alike our front three , he doesn't even realise Van Der Sar isn't DOF at Ajax and How can any body study for Dof role at University. No matter who we get as CF unless we start creating quality chances they would struggle. Truth to be told this Interview doesn't reflect well on Scholes at all he comes across as bit simple if this is his opinion.

Just to add further do these pundits ever do any homework because they can't even get their facts right.
Your not wrong. However.

There’s a big difference between being a CEO of a smaller firm, and then being a CEO at the biggest company in a sector.

I know lots of people who have been CEOs, then move a a role such as Commercial Director of Finance Director at a bigger firm.

GimmeThatBall_M8_NL

I still think a lot of people on here and Scholes still do not know about VdS being a CEO instead of a DOF (Overmars is the DOF). In Dutch VdS is the Algemeen Directeur (CEO) and Overmars is the Technisch Directeur (DOF kinda).

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Your not wrong. However.

There’s a big difference between being a CEO of a smaller firm, and then being a CEO at the biggest company in a sector.

I know lots of people who have been CEOs, then move a a role such as Commercial Director of Finance Director at a bigger firm.
You're right, CEO of the bigger firm does very little in comparison.

MDFC Manager

Looking at how wrong Scholesy is there in those quotes, he could be one of several clueless posters on here.

acnumber9

That is both hilarious and worrying. Is Scholes OK? :lol:
The guy tweeting is also wrong. He could at least get his facts in order. Scholes flip flopping is wrong but I’m not sure it’s his latest opinion that he’s wrong about.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Think I seen somewhere that Teddy Sheringham said the same about Martial. Utd wont win a premier league with Martial as a number 9.
Sure but we probably also won't win the league with Lindelof, Maguire, DDG (last year or so), Shaw, Pogba, Matic, Fred and possibly Rashford as well as 18 year old Greenwood being first choice for us either.

These type of comments are given too much importance. Scholes' is just someone who values the CF being a 'proper/true' one who can head the ball etc more than other areas we need improve. On the other hand I'd prefer someone like Sancho who would be a creative engine from the right hand side something we've lacked for aeons. We have many weaknesses and ideally we can fix them all in one summer. But the world isn't ideal and everyone will have different views on which one is the more important to solve. For example I'd take a top manager over a top CF, so there's that. A top CEO over a top LB.

On Martial, while he has great qualities and was really good last season, like the rest of the team he has to keep proving himself to be good enough. That's fine.

OleBoiii

The guy tweeting is also wrong. He could at least get his facts in order. Scholes flip flopping is wrong but I’m not sure it’s his latest opinion that he’s wrong about.
What is he wrong about? Did Scholes not make those comments at those dates?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Scholes was a great player but I wouldn't exactly say he's ever come across as a smart guy or that his opinions on football are that good. Last time he talked about Martial he was saying how good he's been, how he's a real #9 etc etc.... hes played 200 minutes since then, and now is saying this.

Anyway, entitled to his opinion, I just think he speaks like a normal fan that you wouldn't ever think was a top midfielder like he was.

Nikelesh Reddy

I disagree with his view on Sancho,I actually think that Sancho would have been perfect for us in many ways.He could have dovetailed seamlessly with Rashford,Martial and Greenwood and we could have had a devastating front 3.A lot of teams don’t play with a traditional 9 these days....Who is Liverpool’s number 9?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
In fairness on the Cavani comments, I think it's just confused sentences rather than a confused mind

“If you’re struggling without a centre-forward it should be a two or three month loan signing just to get through a sticky period. Similar to what Henrik Larsson did. A brilliant centre-forward, 33, 34 years of age, he just filled a little gap for us. It was exactly what we needed.

“I see Cavani as that kind of person, not at 33 coming to sign a two-year contract. I find it very strange. But he won’t, he’ll be loving it. I’m sure he will.”
He's just doing the tabloid trick of assuming the option of 2 years is the standard.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People must be awfully wound up on here to be nitpicking that Scholes referred to VDS as Ajax's DOF. I think it's clear that he is referring to the fact that Utd would benefit from having him in charge of making all football related decisions at the club instead of Woodward and co. You can call that position whatever you want, but I think its quite clear what he is referring to.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Paul Scholes, spot-off in his football comments? Colour me shocked.

acnumber9

There has been a trend on this forum for years now to jump on contextless sentences uttered by proper United legends in defence of people who have achieved nothing. Doubting the forum favourite is close to high treason.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
These are just his opinions, so I don't see the issue. Truth be told, Martial is a bit of a "weird" CF. He's not the versatile and hardworking type, but he's not the lethal type either. He's obviously very skilled, though.

Personally I think we need to target both ends of the pitch. We succumb to pressure too easily and we're not effective enough up front.
Martial is not naturally a classic no 9. it’s easy to make that point if you objectively compare him to Kane, Vardy or Haaland. Even compare with Ruud or Cole. He has significant weaknesses or inconsistencies on several attributes if you make that comparison.

He is at his best as a right footed left side Inverted Forward.

King Andow

Crazy. Martial is basically the last starter we should be replacing, was our best and most consistent player last season. How about a word on Rashy and Dan James that have been 10 times worse? Maybe if we had decent wingers and FBs that can attack our ST would be better.

Kostov

Yes Scholesy, if Martial could just take the ball and do it all by himself it would be great. Nothing to do with how we look like a Sunday league team when we are shit.

OleBoiii

He did. But he’s played more than 206 minutes.
According to Transfermarkt it's 208 minutes. Big difference...

Not that is matters, as he would look stupid even if was way more than 208 minutes.