"Scholes whacked him (Neville) right in the arse."

032Devil

Apologises for another thread on Paul but there's little else to discuss now the season is over plus, it's a nice read. From The Guardian:

Manchester United's Paul Scholes is a true great. The rest is bull
The midfielder won't win any awards and won't go to the World Cup, but he has proved his worth this season

The strange thing is that Paul Scholes has never had much of a look-in when the player of the year awards have been decided, even when he was that bit younger and quicker. The little ginger doyen of the Manchester United midfield has never had to fix a bow tie and mumble a few lines of acceptance. But then, you know it's the last thing Scholes would want when he could be at home in Saddleworth, playing with Arron, Alicia and Aiden and getting ready for training the following day.

A word that is often applied to Scholes is "shy". But how can a man who gives the impression he is on first-name terms with the ball in front of 75,000 people every other Saturday, with millions watching on television, be shy? Scholes is not shy. He just has his routine: pull on your boots, do your best, get in the car and go home. The rest, as Harvey Keitel's character said in Mean Streets, is bullshit.

Scholes is very much from the "the rest is bullshit" school. He doesn't do interviews. He doesn't walk red carpets. He doesn't have a flashy car with smoked-out windows. You won't see his autobiography in the megastore or a six-page spread in Hello! Scholes is a reminder of what footballers used to be like and what many of us wish they could be again.

A reluctant hero, however, is still a hero. Ask Wayne Rooney, who is accumulating all this season's individual trophies, to name his favourite player and without hesitation he will say Scholes. Sir Alex Ferguson regards the midfielder as "one of the best football brains Manchester United have ever had". Edgar Davids: "We can all learn from Paul Scholes." Marcello Lippi: "Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team." Zinedine Zidane: "My toughest opponent? Scholes." All this when Scholes, bless him, still has trouble differentiating between a fair tackle and a pub-side hack.

One day last week Ferguson was asked why Michael Carrick could not get in the United team. "What can I do?" he replied, his eyes wide, his arms outstretched. "What are you saying? Drop Scholes?" His voice probably demanded an exclamation mark as well.

A couple of weekends before the blood in the veins of United's supporters had been turned to wine with a goal out of nowhere against Manchester City, 17 seconds from the end of stoppage time. It was classic Scholes: the elusive little run, a twisting header, a yelp of joy and, finally, that familiar smile and punch of the air.

Last week, against Tottenham Hotspur, he was the outstanding player again. Opta statistics show that only Chelsea's Mikel John Obi has a better pass percentage rate. Of Scholes's 1,497 passes this season, 89.58% have reached their target. He was the Premier League's most accurate passer last season (90.69%) and its third in 2007-08 (89.7%).

Scholes's colleagues speak of him in almost disbelieving tones. "He'll do ridiculous things in training," Rio Ferdinand says. "He'll say: 'You see that tree over there?' – it'll be 40 yards away – 'I'm going to hit it.' And he'll do it."

Or another target will be identified. "Gary Neville was having a piss one day, 45 yards away, by a fence," Ferguson remembers. "Scholes whacked him right in the arse."

Scholes's form has brought suggestions that Fabio Capello might make one last attempt to coax him back into the England squad. Scholes retired from international football at 29, when he had much more to give. "It's a shame he didn't play for England more," Steve Bruce, Sunderland's manager, said of his old team-mate before Sunday's game at the Stadium of Light. "In the last two decades Scholes is arguably as good as you get in the Premier League."

But Capello has decided to leave it and you get the feeling Scholes doesn't care what the media – or anyone outside of Old Trafford – thinks. He had stopped enjoying going away with England. Yes, there is a World Cup looming, but Scholes has just signed a one-year contract and – in his mind, at least – stepping away from England is one of the reasons why he is still going strong at the age of 35.

Capello has tried to talk him round. It was a short conversation. Now, one of the Italian's colleagues points out that the "Scholes for England" issue never gets raised when the player has not done so well. And there have been a few games this season when Scholes has fallen below the levels he sets himself. That level, however, is one to which most footballers can only aspire.

"People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is," says Peter Schmeichel, the former United goalkeeper. "For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed. If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level."

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Of Scholes's 1,497 passes this season, 89.58% have reached their target. He was the Premier League's most accurate passer last season (90.69%) and its third in 2007-08 (89.7%).

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Not bad i suppose, needs to bulk up.

I love watching him play, whenever he receives the ball his head goes all owl on us as he quickly does a 360 check around him to see who's open.

It's been said before but when he Neville and Giggs ride off into the sunset it'll be a sad day to say the least.

Dyslexic Untied

You have to remember as well that Obi Mikel plays the ball ten feet to the side or backwards.

Scholes on the other hand puts in anywhere on the field, running or standing, from anywhere on the field.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
Great piece and a true living legend but wtf is Smikes on about here -

"People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is," says Peter Schmeichel, the former United goalkeeper. "For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed. If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level."
Is that a dig at the fans? :houllier: Should spend more time with the fans Pete.

Grande

Scholes is very much from the "the rest is bullshit" school. He doesn't do interviews. He doesn't walk red carpets. He doesn't have a flashy car with smoked-out windows. You won't see his autobiography in the megastore or a six-page spread in Hello! Scholes is a reminder of what footballers used to be like and what many of us wish they could be again.

A reluctant hero, however, is still a hero. Ask Wayne Rooney, who is accumulating all this season's individual trophies, to name his favourite player and without hesitation he will say Scholes. Sir Alex Ferguson regards the midfielder as "one of the best football brains Manchester United have ever had". Edgar Davids: "We can all learn from Paul Scholes." Marcello Lippi: "Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team." Zinedine Zidane: "My toughest opponent? Scholes." All this when Scholes, bless him, still has trouble differentiating between a fair tackle and a pub-side hack.

Scholes's colleagues speak of him in almost disbelieving tones. "He'll do ridiculous things in training," Rio Ferdinand says. "He'll say: 'You see that tree over there?' – it'll be 40 yards away – 'I'm going to hit it.' And he'll do it."

Or another target will be identified. "Gary Neville was having a piss one day, 45 yards away, by a fence," Ferguson remembers. "Scholes whacked him right in the arse."

Scholes's form has brought suggestions that Fabio Capello might make one last attempt to coax him back into the England squad. Scholes retired from international football at 29, when he had much more to give. "It's a shame he didn't play for England more," Steve Bruce, Sunderland's manager, said of his old team-mate before Sunday's game at the Stadium of Light. "In the last two decades Scholes is arguably as good as you get in the Premier League."

Capello has tried to talk him round. It was a short conversation. Now, one of the Italian's colleagues points out that the "Scholes for England" issue never gets raised when the player has not done so well. And there have been a few games this season when Scholes has fallen below the levels he sets himself. That level, however, is one to which most footballers can only aspire.

A very good summary of the view insiders has come to have on Paul Scholes. He is as much of a footballer's footballer you'll get, and I think on the whole he has had another marvellous season. There is not one player quite like him.

oleonenumber20

no surprise that Cappello tried so hard to get him in the England side. Simply awesome player

dev1l

It also shows that Scholes is a red before anything else...england included

Such players are becoming a rarity these days

Grande

Is that a dig at the fans? :houllier: Should spend more time with the fans Pete.
No, it's not a dig at the fans. He says that some things you will only really notice if you are on the field playing with a fellow player. He says that Scholeseys worst level is still so high, most spectators are likely not to notice if he's having an off day.

Off course, Scholes has come under criticism from United supporters for periods of his carreer, and (partly) rightfully so. But Smikes, I think, merely wants to underline how Scholes is set above any player he has ever played with in terms of consistence and stability. Quite an accolade, when you know a few of the players included in that bracket.

SecondFig

It also shows that Scholes is a red before anything else...england included

Such players are becoming a rarity these days
Scholes always belonged to a time gone by in that respect, to be honest I can't think of any other top class players like him now. Hargreaves has always seemed quite reserved and keen to stay out of the limelight, shame he's not as good as Scholesy. God I'll miss him when he's finally gone.

Rowem

gently, down the stream

He is saying that is isn't easily noticeable when Scholes is not quite at his best.

Of course it's not a dig at fans.

It's probably an old quote though, his poor performances are definitely noticeable nowadays.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
He is saying that is isn't easily noticeable when Scholes is not quite at his best.

Of course it's not a dig at fans.

It's probably an old quote though, his poor performances are definitely noticeable nowadays.
OK - didn't consider the age of the quote as it is obvious that his 'below average' games are very noticeable now but I would argue that they have always been noticeable to anyone who actually has a brain.

Northstand

You have to remember as well that Obi Mikel plays the ball ten feet to the side or backwards.

Scholes on the other hand puts in anywhere on the field, running or standing, from anywhere on the field.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking when I read that.

It's a shame Scholesy won't be gracing the World Cup in a way, but from United's perspective I'm glad he's made the decision.

eric le roi

That story about hitting Neville on the arse is years old too, along with all the quotes.

He's way past his peak but still quality on his day - you've got to love Scholesy.

Eriku

Last season was an underwhelming one in terms of following Scholes... he had the odd incredible performance (nobody was controlling the game if not Scholes against Fulham in the spring of 09), but for the most part I thought he'd looked like in decline... Stats will always tell me I'm overreacting, even on a bad day Scholes is one of our most assured passers, but one has come to expect consistent brilliance from this man. When he returned to our side in 06-07 I was blown away. The rate at which he smashed it 60 yards to switch it to the wing, the lobbed pass into Milan's defence at Old Trafford, the volley against Boro. He also commands that one passing skill that blows my mind again and again, when the target is straight ahead of you, with virtually no angle to hit the player comfortably, and he'll launch one over the top, 30 yards, and make the striker the culprit if he doesn't make something of it.

People who pass as ambitiously as Scholes does, have no right to be knocking out passes with a 90% success rate .

This season he's again looked class, though I can think of at least one performance that frustrated me... And his 8 goals is a better return than I expected.

Long may it continue :)

sajeev

another article (or rather a blog).
and in my opinion a good one
Paul Scholes won't lose sleep over his England World Cup retreat – Telegraph Blogs

Paul Scholes won't lose sleep over his England World Cup retreat

By Mark Ogden Football Last updated: May 12th, 2010

Paul Scholes will not spend a minute thinking of what might have been if England win the World Cup in South Africa without the Manchester United midfielder’s unique talents.
Fabio Capello’s eleventh hour plea for Scholes to come out of international retirement in order to claim a place in his 23-man World Cup squad was perhaps no surprise considering the 35-year-old’s vintage performances for United in recent months.
But just like Sven-Goran Eriksson and Steve McClaren before him, Capello has discovered that Scholes has no intention of ending his self-imposed international exile.
He was only 29 when he called time on his England career shortly after Euro 2004. But for that decision, Scholes is likely to have passed the 100 cap mark rather than have his tally frozen at 65 appearances.
Yet while many fans and observers alike continue to scratch their head in bemusement at Scholes’s retreat from the England squad, the man himself has never regretted his decision to walk away from the white shirt in order to focus only on the red of United.
Scholes has always stubbornly followed his own mind. Even as a schoolboy, when he took up lacrosse with his mates after becoming fed up with playing for his local schools representative team, he has done his own thing.
He corrects interviewers when they ask about his childhood in Salford, telling them that he was born on United’s doorstep but actually grew up in the north Manchester town of Middleton.
And when he is confronted with the urban myth that he wants to end his career with ‘boyhood idols’ Oldham, Scholes points out that he grew up as a United fan idolising Mark Hughes, but went along to Boundary Park because it was easier to get in.
So when it is suggested that Scholes continues to hanker after a return to the international scene, it is just another case of the 35-year-old being misunderstood. He drew a line under the story a long time ago.
Scholes loves football, but he isn’t consumed by it. Away from Old Trafford, he is a family man whose true sporting passions are cricket and horse racing.
The last thing that would motivate Scholes is a month in a hotel room in South Africa, away from his wife and three kids and the anonymity of the closed season.
If anyone is prepared for life after the game, then it is Scholes. Most players miss the adulation and celebrity when they retire, but Scholes has never chased either.
He is just one of those guys who grew up knowing he was the best at what he did, so as a result, he has never felt the need to seek out the praise that has nonetheless come his way.
So he doesn’t need to amass 100 England caps to secure his place in history, just as he shrugged off the achievement of passing 600 senior appearances for United on the 2008-09 campaign.
David Beckham might have run to the cameras whenever he scored for club or country, but Scholes would run the opposite way.
He will have been flattered by Capello’s approach and also respectful of the England manager’s request, which is why he spent Monday night considering the possibility of ending his six years in the international wilderness.
But the problem for Capello is that being a former England player has never eaten away at Scholes, so the Italian was unable to pull at his heart strings.
Scholes might now spend the summer watching England’s campaign at home, but he is just as likely to reach for the off switch and pitch the cricket stumps in the garden for a knock-about with his kids.

Moultz

we were having a bit of a surreal conversation today at college.

His son is entering year 7 next year and is almost certain to join our school in September. We got talking how if he went to the World Cup and England won that in about 6/7 years Paul's son will most likely be in the First XI for school and his dad will probably be asked to do some sort of training work with the First XI team. Just imagine having a 'World Cup winner' or in realistic terms a English League, Cup, League Cup, World Club Cup and European Cup winner as a coach/parent

Madness

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I (and the team) will miss his raking wide passes to wingers that we've become accustomed to down the years.
Yes. I will miss that more that his thumping goals from outside the area. Its just a joy to watch when he takes control in the middle of the park and sprays balls around the field. Switching play. Especially these last couple of seasons when he has played in the "quarterback" role.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
That video is brilliant, and the fact that the majority of the first 2 and a half minutes is from the last couple of seasons is amazing. He could hit that pass to the right wing in his sleep.

Leg-End

The last 4 goals in that video are such ridiculously brilliant hits of the ball, fantastic. It has been a privelage to watch him and I think we are blessed we get atleast one more season of him.

Acquire Me

Got tears in my eyes watching this. We will never have a better midfielder than him. Got to enjoy him as much as possible in his last year(s).