Scores die in Israeli air strikes

IhabX7

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7800985.stm

Scores die in Israeli air strikes

Israeli F-16 bombers have launched a series of air strikes against key targets in the Gaza Strip, killing and injuring scores of people.

Medical staff and Hamas officials said at least 140 people were killed when missiles hit security compounds and militant bases across Gaza.

The strikes, the most intense Israeli attacks on Gaza in recent times, come after the expiry of a truce with Hamas.

Israel said it was responding to continued rocket attacks from Gaza.

Palestinian militants frequently fire rockets against Israeli towns from within the borders of Gaza.

In a statement, Israel's military said it targeted "Hamas terror operatives" as well as training camps and weaponry storage warehouses.

In the West Bank, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas - whose Fatah faction was ousted from Gaza by Hamas in 2007 - condemned the attacks and called for restraint.

But Hamas quickly vowed to carry out revenge attacks on Israel in response to the air strikes, firing Qassam rockets into Israeli territory as an immediate reply.

At least one Israeli was killed by a rocket strike in the town of Netivot, doctors said.

"Hamas will continue the resistance until the last drop of blood," spokesman Fawzi Barhoum was reported as saying.

Israel also stood firm, saying operations "will continue, will be expanded, and will deepen if necessary".

Rising toll

Reports of the casualties in Gaza mounted swiftly after news broke of the Israeli operation, in which at least 30 missiles were fired by F-16 fighter bombers.

Palestinian militant group Hamas, which controls Gaza, initially said at least 40 people had been killed when a missile hit security headquarters in and around Gaza City.

That figure quickly rose until both Hamas and Palestinian doctors said at least 140 were killed and many more injured.

Egypt opened its border crossing to the Gaza Strip at Rafah to absorb and treat some of those injured in the south of the territory.

Most of the dead and injured were said to be in Gaza City, where Hamas's main security compound was destroyed. The head of Gaza's police forces was reportedly among those killed.

Casualties were also reported around Gaza, including in the southern town of Khan Younis, where Reuters news agency said at least 20 people were thought to have died.

Civilians were caught up in the air strikes in heavily-populated Gaza

Hamas said all of its security compounds in Gaza were destroyed by the Israeli air strikes, which Israel said hit some 40 targets across the territory.

The air strikes are the most intense Israel has launched against Gaza for some time, and come amid rumours that a ground operation is imminent.

Israeli security officials have been briefing about the possibility of a new offensive into Gaza for some days now, says the BBC's Paul Wood, in Jerusalem.

But most reports centred on the possibility of a ground offensive, and Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was not expected to authorise any operation until Sunday at the earliest.

Although a six-month truce between Hamas and Israel was agreed earlier this year, it was regularly under strain and was allowed to lapse when it expired this month.

Hamas blamed Israel for the end of the ceasefire, saying it had not respected its terms, including the lifting of the blockade under which little more than humanitarian aid has been allowed into Gaza.

Israel said it initially began a staged easing of the blockade, but this was halted when Hamas failed to fulfil what Israel says were agreed conditions, including ending all rocket fire and halting weapons smuggling.

Israel says the blockade - in place since Hamas took control of Gaza in June 2007 - is needed to isolate Hamas and stop it and other militants from firing rockets across the border at Israeli towns.

massey

This has gone on far too long,tit for tat bombings with no regard to innocent life (collateral damage).The world should put aside greed and focus on helping countries like this from stupidity.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
apparently god intended only jews to live there.

Tibs

Those Israeli's do love killing Palestinians in large numbers.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
If any other country was to do this sort of thing, there would be international outcry.

Another step backwards taken in the peace process by the backward Israeli government.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
This has gone on far too long,tit for tat bombings with no regard to innocent life (collateral damage).The world should put aside greed and focus on helping countries like this from stupidity.
Agreed. Where does it end? An eye for an eye and we would all be blind.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
If any other country was to do this sort of thing, there would be international outcry.

Another step backwards taken in the peace process by the backward Israeli government.
Rubbish.

Name me just ONE other country that would have it's towns missiled everyday and do bugger all?

Thought so.

Tibs

Our Government talks about how it has saved Afghanistan and Iraq from brutal regimes, of how it wants to help Zimbabwe, yet they wouldn't say anything to Israel.

Apparantly Iran are sending over some ships with aid, good on them.

Fitzjames

No point trying a nuanced approach to the problem. Message Boards generate more heat than light and anything less than 100% support or even committment to one side or the other is interpreted by the partizans as 100% support for the other side.
No point in even thinking there will be a negotiated settlement to this conflict.
Neither side really wants it bad enough.
And if they dont care, I dont see any reason why I should care.

Frankly it will only end when one side totally defeats the other side.
And both are delusional if they think anyone will save them.
Both sides have used up all the goodwill available.

The interesting thing is that the Americans are in transitional mode from one Administration to the next Administration. And we are told its the most successful transition ever. Credit to President Bush here.

So........the Christmas period and a couple of hungover junior staffers manning the computer terminals and switchboard at the White House and Pentagon and State Dept and President Bush in Crawford, Texas and Obama in Hawaii.

If I was a more cynical person I would tend to believe that the timing was very very deliberate to ensure a slow response and the response when it comes has to have one eye on the new administration.
The Israelis will pull back...they always do.
The Palestinians will noisily bury their dead and make threats. They always do.

The Americans will urge "restraint" and "proportional responses". They always do.
The Arab "street" will get itself worked up. They always do that.

But it will probably end. Until the time when it doesnt end. And someday thats what will happen.

But its hard even for a non cynic like myself to think this is not a message for the incoming administration in USA than it is for Hamas.
Of course maybe urging restraint and getting a cese fire and bringing the sides back to nearly the position they were in 24 hours ago will seem like a diplomatic triumph.

topper

Clown
Yeah.

Suprized you've got time to post.

Thought you'd be in Tehran stopping homosexuals being hung from cranes.

Couldn't get a flight?
:lol: boom boom

on a serious note I have sympathy for both peoples - unfortunately the people that govern them are shite

Tareq

Livvie's Favourite Jordanian.
Olmert said that Israel targets hamas leaders, while @ aljazeera i saw scores of civilians / students among the injured......with the israeli elections around the corner the best way to win votes is to kill as amny palestinians as they can....

new nazzi

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Great timing of the attack by israel. Drop bombs in a place with school children on their way back home. I mean of course they were only targeting Hamas, who cares if 150 + innocent civilians die. Wow great intelligence by MOSSAD.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Great timing of the attack by israel. Drop bombs in a place with school children on their way back home. I mean of course they were only targeting Hamas, who cares if 150 + innocent civilians die. Wow great intelligence by MOSSAD.
they dont give a shit.

Tibs

That was what I was implying. I mean could you imagine the outrage that would have taken place if Hamas had killed this many people?
It would be enough of an excuse to launch an attack that could kill atleast 1000 Palestinians without an the batting of an eyelid

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
if the palestinians fight back then they branded as terrorists by the media.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
not saying this is justified...but what did Hamas do then?

obviously this is retaliation of some sorts....
Total rocket attacks on Israeli citizens-

Since the first rocket fell on Israel on 16 April 2001: 3,706
Since the Israeli withdrawal from the Gaza Strip in August 2005: 3,123
Since the Hamas takeover of Gaza in mid-June 2007: 1,685
This year:
- From 1 Jan through 30 Nov 2008: 1,212

Mortar bomb hits since April 2001: 3,948

nimic

something nice
Scout
If the Israeli's didn't give a shit, all of Gaza would be a smouldering crater by now.
Bullshit. They don't care about dead civilians, but they do care about the billions in support they get from the US which pretty much keeps their economy going. There are limits to what the US public would accept, though apparently 200 dead in 4 minutes doesn't quite go past it.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
Bullshit. They don't care about dead civilians, but they do care about the billions in support they get from the US which pretty much keeps their economy going. There are limits to what the US public would accept, though apparently 200 dead in 4 minutes doesn't quite go past it.
Spoken like a true Norwegian - hows the cartoon business?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
And how do you brand Hamas when they chuck other Fatah palestinians out of hospital windows?

Freedom fighters?
They're trying to establish themselves as the primary force within palestine and are trying to eradicate any opposition they might have within palestine. I don't know much about the middle east and I have no particular interest but what I always see is 100s of palestinian civilians are killed by israel "targeting hamas". Even if it is retaliation. How on earth is it retaliation when you kill 100s in return for a few rockets. Israel label hamas as terrorists but as I see it they are no better if not worse than them but what they do is deemed acceptable due to backing from countries such as the US and because of the fact that they're a government. Well then why are hamas labelled as terrorists? afterall they have been elected.

Tibs

Total rocket attacks on Israeli citizens-

Since the first rocket fell on Israel on 16 April 2001: 3,706
Since the Israeli withdrawal from the Gaza Strip in August 2005: 3,123
Since the Hamas takeover of Gaza in mid-June 2007: 1,685
This year:
- From 1 Jan through 30 Nov 2008: 1,212

Mortar bomb hits since April 2001: 3,948
Do you have the figurse for missile attacks by Israel on Palestine..whilst you're at it, why don't you give us a casulty list too. It won't help your argument though

Tibs

"In 2007, for example, for every one Israeli death there were 25 Palestinian deaths compared to 2002 when the ratio was 1:2.5"

Ah...so its actually Israel that are the agressors

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
Do you have the figurse for missile attacks by Israel on Palestine..whilst you're at it, why don't you give us a casulty list too. It won't help your argument though
Lets not beat around the bush.

Hamas are just the latest frontline for the Arab/Muslim axis to get rid of Israel.

Won't happen.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
"In 2007, for example, for every one Israeli death there were 25 Palestinian deaths compared to 2002 when the ratio was 1:2.5"

Ah...so its actually Israel that are the agressors
What a childish way of measuring morality.

Has it occured to you that Hamas want this war?

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
They're trying to establish themselves as the primary force within palestine and are trying to eradicate any opposition they might have within palestine. I don't know much about the middle east and I have no particular interest but what I always see is 100s of palestinian civilians are killed by israel "targeting hamas". Even if it is retaliation. How on earth is it retaliation when you kill 100s in return for a few rockets. Israel label hamas as terrorists but as I see it they are no better if not worse than them but what they do is deemed acceptable due to backing from countries such as the US and because of the fact that they're a government. Well then why are hamas labelled as terrorists? afterall they have been elected.
Nuff said.