Scotland National Team Discussion

Bwuk

Okay, you've got me, I'm raging. Been absolutely fuming since Friday. Not slept a wink all weekend.

Obviously, as you've said, you're not at all arsed by Scotland going out. Not all arsed by me taking the piss.
It’s ok. Gilmour can’t hurt you now.

How did Armstrong stay on the pitch so long is beyond me.

RedDevilRoshi

That’s what it’s all about.

I got my hopes up for you when you equalised before half time too.
It is a disappointment but it’s been good. Last time I seen Scotland at a major tournament was when I was 6 years old. A whole generation of Scotland fans have never seen us in a major tournament and not many would have thought they’d see us in one again after a 23 year exile.

Overall it was the Czech game that f***** us. When we lost that, you just knew it was going to be a massive mountain to climb.

Best of luck to you lads against the Danes. Should be an absolute cracker that game. Looking forward to that game as well watching Ingerland getting butchered by the Germans/Portuguese/French :D

Lowest scoring team to top a group.

As bad as Scotland are, atleast we have enjoy the occasions, English fans do nothing but moan and bitch about their own team, not to mention booing them.
don’t take England fans on the Caf as a representation of England fans. Real life fans, who aren’t anonymous keyboard warriors are very happy and also realistic about our chances

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Better than being a bunch of blatant liars and cheats.

Still, got one more point than usual, suppose that's a win for Scotland.
Regardless of the results, they'll always remember that great European tour where they got to travel the continent.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Was flicking between the two games, shame that Scotland are out. I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference but from what I saw you could have done with Gilmour to help ball retention.

Not bothered but jumping on it when someone takes the piss?

I know Scotland are shite and irrelevant, that's what's so funny. Celebrating on the pitch, bouncing round the changing rooms after a 0-0 is embarrasing. We'd be slaughtering any team for that sort of display in club football, but because it's brave old Scotland it's not worth ripping the piss out of? Get to feck.

Man of the tournament in my opinion.

Not going to argue with that. England are shite, and yet.
I remember in 2018 when you posted the thread "The "England have had it easy" narrative, and wrote dissertations arguing that actually England having to face Belgium Tunisia Panama in the group, and then Colombia and Sweden was actually not easy. You're a fine poster and your banter here is kind of funny, but that thread always sticks out in my memory.

alexthelion

This is why I struggle to support England, the whole thing is filled with arrogant little Englanders.

Scotland played very well against England and picked up a well deserved point, which really should've been a win. They celebrated because it kept their tournament alive.

Sad to see them go out but really need to get a better manager in, the constant hoofing is painful to watch. Hoofed it straight back to Croatia to concede the corner for the 3rd goal. The core of the team is still young, with a good coach they should qualify for the next euros. Just lack that one top level attacker to be a really good team.
Boo hoo, you won't be missed.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
This thread is another example of why everyone hates England fans.
They're decent losers, through experience, but absolutely awful winners. The slightest positive has them crowing.

God knows how insufferable they'd be if they ever actually won a major tournament. And I say all that as an Englishman. Just can't hack the small-minded triumphalism.

Hulme91

You see, this is the problem with Scots and other sorts
You don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot, can give it but can't take it etc etc
Take the banter with some dignity, England get the same treatment every two years

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Tough for Scotland, but I'm glad you at least got to see them grab a goal at Hampden, and that it was that bit of class from Modric that ultimately killed you off, rather than somebody (unless it was that little scouse prick) being left with egg on their face.

dbs235

:lol: Really? After everyone made out that Scotland had beat England 6-0 the other day? Other nation's arrogance towards England has far surpassed England fan's arrogance. Ask any England fan about England and they'lll probably go on a massive rant about how much they hate the national side

Abraxas

Can't get carried away with fans on forums, many of which just want a bit of attention and the easiest way to do that is by winding people up rather than through thought out posts.

As an Englishman I am always disappointed to see any of the home nations and even Ireland go out of tournaments. It's nice to see them do well, especially when historically these nations have provided United with good players.

OleGunnar20

This is why I struggle to support England, the whole thing is filled with arrogant little Englanders.

Scotland played very well against England and picked up a well deserved point, which really should've been a win. They celebrated because it kept their tournament alive.

Sad to see them go out but really need to get a better manager in, the constant hoofing is painful to watch. Hoofed it straight back to Croatia to concede the corner for the 3rd goal. The core of the team is still young, with a good coach they should qualify for the next euros. Just lack that one top level attacker to be a really good team.
Ayye well said.

I'm no expert on their squad but, surely, with 25 to go and 2 goals to stand a chance you need to throw some attackers on right? Nothing.

Dour performance and completely toothless up top. Lumping it long to Dykes is all well and good but there needs to be a part two to that plan.

Anyway, decent young squad there. A progressive manager would do them the world of good going forward.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I remember in 2018 when you posted the thread "The "England have had it easy" narrative, and wrote dissertations arguing that actually England having to face Belgium Tunisia Panama in the group, and then Colombia and Sweden was actually not easy. You're a fine poster and your banter here is kind of funny, but that thread always sticks out in my memory.
Very much needed when people were repeatedly spamming "not like England had to beat Netherlands" as if they hadn't not only failed to qualify for that WC, but the Euros preceding it too.

I've watched England stink it out against Costa Rica, Slovenia, the US, Algeria, Romania (the list goes on). Damn straight I was arguing the toss there.

alexthelion

Ayye well said.

I'm no expert on their squad but, surely, with 25 to go and 2 goals to stand a chance you need to throw some attackers on right? Nothing.

Dour performance and completely toothless up top. Lumping it long to Dykes is all well and good but there needs to be a part two to that plan.

Anyway, decent young squad there. A progressive manager would do them the world of good going forward.
Exacty what England need as well.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Very much needed when people were repeatedly spamming "not like England had to beat Netherlands" as if they hadn't not only failed to qualify for that WC, but the Euros preceding it too.

I've watched England stink it out against Costa Rica, Slovenia, the US, Algeria, Romania (the list goes on). Damn straight I was arguing the toss there.
I can respect that,

Djemba-Djemba

Hard to see Scotland having a better opportunity to break their curse of never making it past the group stage of a tournament.

3 out of the 4 sides can go through, they got a point at Wembley and had two winnable games at home and they still fecked it up.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Hard to see Scotland having a better opportunity to break their curse of never making it past the group stage of a tournament.

3 out of the 4 sides can go through, they got a point at Wembley and had two winnable games at home and they still fecked it up.
Shhhh you can't say that here.

Abraxas

I think the Czech game was always the killer. Was never going to be easy to get much out of Croatia and England.

Tonight felt like a big chance at home against an older and lesser Croatia in one tie, but to pin it all on that game was still a big ask, Croatia are still a much better side. Probably a case of seeming like a big chance but actually it wasn't that big at all compared to the opportunity to win the first game

Djemba-Djemba

I think the Czech game was always the killer. Was never going to be easy to get much out of Croatia and England.

Tonight felt like a big chance at home against an older and lesser Croatia in one tie, but to pin it all on that game was still a big ask, Croatia are still a much better side. Probably a case of seeming like a big chance but actually it wasn't that big at all compared to the opportunity to win the first game
The defeat to the Czechs was the killer yeah I agree.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I dunno. Well, I mean obviously we are but in this specific instance isn't it more fun if we give you some back than patronisingly act above the rivalry and pat the brave little Scotland team on the head for managing a point?

Alex is showing more respect here by trying to wind you up than a lot of England fans do, in my book.
It's just funny because we don't care as much as England fans would if they were out. Just getting to the tournament is an achievement for us and most of the Scots on here haven't been able to see Scotland at a tournament at an age they can remember so we've been enjoying the ride. I'd honestly rather enjoy watching my team lose and have a fun time supporting them than be depressed about my team winning.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I can respect that,
The perspective non-England fans have of England fans is mad.

They're not allowed to be optimistic about their chances because they'll just get beat by Germany/France/Italy/Netherlands/Spain/Brazil/Argentina (delete as as applicable regardless of whether all of those teams even managed to qualify for the tournament), or in that instance enjoy reaching a semi-final because they didn't beat the right teams on the way there, but somehow they're simultaneously a dour bunch with no confidence in the team and always moaning, to the point that it looks like they don't even enjoy football.

I've said a few times in this thread that England aren't winning it, but you know what, Portugal stank out their group in 2016 and won it, so why not England.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Meh, topped the group, unbeaten, after winning two of three.

As I said, England aren't winning it. They'll get beat by the first half-decent team they play, but I'll enjoy the ride until then.
So one more round?

RedChisel

I'm guessing the Scots would be silent and not ripping the piss at all if England had finished bottom of the group?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Half the family is English, the better half is Scottish. So naturally Utd / Scotland / Argentina / England in that order :)

Jokes aside, Scotland were Naive in this tournament and not entirely unexpected. Against Czech's Repub, as soon as Scotland gave the ball away, you knew the 2nd goal was coming, even if not in the fashion it hit the back of the net. They played a lot of football to whip the crowd up but.....I dunno, naive. Chase the game tonight and no surprise that at 2-1 Croatia got the the 3rd rather than Scotland the equaliser. Take the emotion out of it, the Scottish FA really need to work harder at developing a much deeper and wider football factory

Championship Players vs Champions League players tonight is the best I can sum it up

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It's just funny because we don't care as much as England fans would if they were out. Just getting to the tournament is an achievement for us and most of the Scots on here haven't been able to see Scotland at a tournament at an age they can remember so we've been enjoying the ride. I'd honestly rather enjoy watching my team lose and have a fun time supporting them than be depressed about my team winning.
Good post and similar to what Irish fans are like too. Although we generally do a bit better when we get to the tournaments ;)

There was a guy posting the other night who couldn’t fathom why the Scottish enjoyed their draw in Wembley the other night, just shows the difference

dbs235

Good post and similar to what Irish fans are like too. Although we generally do a bit better when we get to the tournaments ;)

There was a guy posting the other night who couldn’t fathom why the Scottish enjoyed their draw in Wembley the other night, just shows the difference
Of course I can fathom it, its the abuse England get as if they're somehow massive mugs for winning the group comfortably, drawing 0-0 in what was Scotland's cup final.

alexthelion

Celebrating mediocrity is something to be cherished?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
You have to remember a generation of England fans haven't had the chance to cheer Scotland going out of a major tournament before and you lot get to cheer England going out almost every time. This isn't a regular occurrence for us. We're excited just to have the opportunity.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Celebrating mediocrity is something to be cherished?
When you come from a smaller nation it’s a different experience. That’s just the way it is

Like when a smaller club beats Utd or City, they have every right to celebrate it. Nothing wrong with that