Scotland National Team Discussion

Pickle85

It's just funny because we don't care as much as England fans would if they were out. Just getting to the tournament is an achievement for us and most of the Scots on here haven't been able to see Scotland at a tournament at an age they can remember so we've been enjoying the ride. I'd honestly rather enjoy watching my team lose and have a fun time supporting them than be depressed about my team winning.
Ah come on, you're gutted to be out, particularly at the first hurdle, and who wouldn't be. I know I was after the Iceland debacle. I just find the high minded 'i can't see why you're crowing' hypocrisy funny (not directed at you) when you bet your life the Scots would be utterly made up if the shoe was on the other foot.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Of course I can fathom it, its the abuse England get as if they're somehow massive mugs for winning the group comfortably, drawing 0-0 in what was Scotland's cup final.
Most of the abuse comes from English fans from what I can tell

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Good post and similar to what Irish fans are like too. Although we generally do a bit better when we get to the tournaments ;)

There was a guy posting the other night who couldn’t fathom why the Scottish enjoyed their draw in Wembley the other night, just shows the difference
I can fathom them enjoying the result, I just founs it a bit embarrassing the extent that they celebrated it.

For context, nabbing a 1-0 on Friday would have been enough to see Scotland (at least temporarily) sit above England in the group and they'd have actually won a fecking a game.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Shame for them. I did want them to go through.

That won't stop me sending awful messages to my Scottish mate, firmly aware that he'll send me similar when England lose to whoever in the next round/quarters. It's the circle of life.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Celebrating mediocrity is something to be cherished?
You keep missing the point. Its celebrating your side no matter what happens unlike you lot who boo your team and abuse them all match about how shite they are.
Ah come on, you're gutted to be out, particularly at the first hurdle, and who wouldn't be. I know I was after the Iceland debacle. I just find the high minded 'i can't see why you're crowing' hypocrisy funny (not directed at you) when you bet your life the Scots would be utterly made up if the shoe was on the other foot.
Yeah, I’m disappointed with not winning a game and taking chances but I’m still proud of us for giving it a good go in the last two games.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The perspective non-England fans have of England fans is mad.

They're not allowed to be optimistic about their chances because they'll just get beat by Germany/France/Italy/Netherlands/Spain/Brazil/Argentina (delete as as applicable regardless of whether all of those teams even managed to qualify for the tournament), or in that instance enjoy reaching a semi-final because they didn't beat the right teams on the way there, but somehow they're simultaneously a dour bunch with no confidence in the team and always moaning, to the point that it looks like they don't even enjoy football.

I've said a few times in this thread that England aren't winning it, but you know what, Portugal stank out their group in 2016 and won it, so why not England.
I can get on board with the optimism thing, I don't think there is anything wrong with fancying your country to go far, or even win it. I don't think anything you've said is unique to England though, there were English fans complaining about Scotland celebrating a hard earned draw, Wales fans complaining about England having home advantage, Scotland fans complaining about Hartson.

Djemba-Djemba

You have to remember a generation of England fans haven't had the chance to cheer Scotland going out of a major tournament before and you lot get to cheer England going out almost every time. This isn't a regular occurrence for us. We're excited just to have the opportunity.
:lol: Exactly.

This is long overdue.

alexthelion

You keep missing the point. Its celebrating your side no matter what happens unlike you lot who boo your team and abuse them all match about how shite they are.

Yeah, I’m disappointed with not winning a game and taking chances but I’m still proud of us for giving it a good go in the last two games.
It's because we know they could be so much better, but are being held back by an abysmal manager and FA.

RedDevilRoshi

Shame for them. I did want them to go through.

That won't stop me sending awful messages to my Scottish mate, firmly aware that he'll send me similar when England lose to whoever in the next round/quarters. It's the circle of life.
Pretty much the way I see it as well. Plenty of England fans on here giving it the big one and fair enough, because I can’t wait to do this when you get knocked out very soon. Circle of life as you say.

I’ve had a few messages from my English mates/family members tonight rubbing it in simply because I do it to them at every major tournament that England get royally and delightfully knocked out of and seeing the meltdown all over on the tv and online is just pure delightful and music to my ears :D

Bwuk

Scotland have Derby’s back up goalkeeper getting lobbed from 50 yards, and Motherwells Stephen O’Donnell in the starting line up, how can anyone try to banter them.

The reality was before the games were played Scotland were likely to lose all 3 games.

djembatheking

Every Scotsman I know takes great delight in cheering Englands opponents in every tournament they have been in and thoroughly enjoy taking the piss when England get knocked out. As it is such a rarity to see Scotland even qualify for a tournament I feel I have to take advantage of this situation and revel in their failure as it could be a long time until the opportunity arises again. Yes Sir I can Boogie.

RedDevilRoshi

Every Scotsman I know takes great delight in cheering Englands opponents in every tournament they have been in and thoroughly enjoy taking the piss when England get knocked out. As it is such a rarity to see Scotland even qualify for a tournament I feel I have to take advantage of this situation and revel in their failure as it could be a long time until the opportunity arises again. Yes Sir I can Boogie.
What do you expect? That’s something that will never change. It’s sporting rivalry. You are not going to see Brazilians cheering on Argentina at a major tournament. Just like you won’t see Man City/Liverpool fans cheering on Man Utd in a cup final.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Just had a thought for Scottish fans.

When the world cup expands to 48 teams, 2 from a group of 3 get to the knockouts, meaning a point may well do the job.

Maybe you can cash in that now useless Wembley point then. Of course, you'll have to qualify for the thing first, which may be a problem.

Djemba-Djemba

When the world cup expands to 48 teams, 2 from a group of 3 get to the knockouts, meaning a point may well do the job.

Maybe you can cash in that now useless Wembley point then. Of course, you'll have to qualify for the thing first, which may be a problem.
Jesus Christ is that true?

They're ruining tournament football.

Bwuk

Obsessed.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
That draw really did damage those English egos. Good to see. Rent free.

djembatheking

What do you expect? That’s something that will never change. It’s sporting rivalry. You are not going to see Brazilians cheering on Argentina at a major tournament. Just like you won’t see Man City/Liverpool fans cheering on Man Utd in a cup final.
I expect to get stick , it's what rivalry is all about. It's just a rarity being able to give it back so have to make the most of it. It isn't banter then though it's English arrogance.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Scotland could be still in this tournament, if they had a Billy Gilmour in the team.
Maybe. Tbh I think SC should have played 1 up top and brought McT back into midfield to mark Modric...but alas we are out and they are through.

Reiver

Maybe. Tbh I think SC should have played 1 up top and brought McT back into midfield to mark Modric...but alas we are out and they are through.
Exactly what I think too. And pushed McGinn further up?
I hope I never see Mctominay at CB for Scotland again.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think that'd all be a bit of moving deck chairs round on the Titanic, it was always going to be a huge ask if Croatia's big players turned up. The difference in quality was always going to show, just a symptom of your only top level players both being left backs and not having much besides.

Us (Wales) are in the same boat, we're just luckier that our couple of decent players came through in forward areas so we can lean on them a bit more. :lol:

Camilo

The thing I really hate about Scotland is the way most of us let it define us. Watching the pre match chat, interviews on 5live, it's all the same "we're Scottish" nonsense, as if that means something.

Once we learn that nobody else gives a shit we might become relevant. Always a bunch of fecking losers, with glorious leader Nicola blaming everyone but herself. It's shite being Scottish.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Exactly what I think too. And pushed McGinn further up?
I hope I never see Mctominay at CB for Scotland again.
Yeah McGinn playing further. I would have dropped Dykes for Nisbet and played Nathan Patterson instead of Odonnell. Had we went a wee bit more positive we may have pushed Croatia further back and then who knows...ah well what coulda been.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I am happy we scored. I didn't expect to qualify after the first game.

I don't mind England fans crowing, it is normal and I will be doing the same if England get knocked out. England have been awful to watch so far considering they are one of the favourites.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I am happy we scored. I didn't expect to qualify after the first game.

I don't mind England fans crowing, it is normal and I will be doing the same if England get knocked out. England have been awful to watch so far considering they are one of the favourites.
England are favourites in nearly every tournament...looking at their squad so much talent youd expect them to be there or thereabouts...then you look at the manager and smile (as a Scottish fan) to know that they aint getting anywhere near the trophy :lol:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
England are favourites in nearly every tournament...looking at their squad so much talent youd expect them to be there or thereabouts...then you look at the manager and smile (as a Scottish fan) to know that they aint getting anywhere near the trophy :lol:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
England fans are just being salty because, for all the supposed talent they have, they are boring to watch.

Scotland fans won't be the only ones who will laugh at the 1966 world cup whiners when yet another tournament goes pear shaped.

They real cherry on top will come when their fans and media rip their team apart in the inquest. When you have a crappy attitude to football you deserve nothing.

Big deal Scotland are out. The fans are not unhappy. We support our team. Maybe the Scotland team is lesser than the England team but our fans tower above theirs.

Last edited: