Scotland National Team Discussion

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This will be the first international tournament I will be able to remember and enjoy as a Scotland fan and I can’t wait. Win our first game and we put ourselves in a great position against England as both of us will be nervous due to the tension and it could take only one goal to nick it.

Realistically a good tournament would be winning at least one game and putting up a good show in the others. We have a gritty determined squad though and a good manager so I’m looking forward to it!

Bwuk

Who’s in your starting line up for the first game?
Not entirely sure, but if I had to guess

Marshall
Hendry - Hanley - Tierney
O’Donnell - McTominay - McGregor - Robertson
McGinn
Adams - Fraser​

MrBrightside1989

Marshall
McGinn
Adams - Fraser​
This is probably what I would guess, perhaps Christie/Armstrong starting ahead of Fraser?

Bwuk

This is probably what I would guess, perhaps Christie/Armstrong starting ahead of Fraser?
I’d think Christie is more likely than Armstrong but yeah it’ll be something like that. I think Clarke likes Fraser for his pace to help us counter attack.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah, I'd say Christie will start and either McGregor or McTominay will make way. Likely to be Adams + one pacy outlet (Fraser or Forrest).

Would be nice to see Gilmour play, but I feel that Clarke is too cautious and certainly prized his destroyers in front of the defence for Kilmarnock.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Should play Gilmour and Turnbull in the middle with Mcgregor, Ryan Christie should be benched

Reiver

Marshall
McGinn
Adams - Fraser​
Looks the most likely lineup, I'd agree. Only real issue I have is Grant Hanley. Also glad that Forrest isn't near the starting lineup now too.

Tom McConnell

Scotland have to beat the Czech republic in the first game to have any chance of progressing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I could see them beating Croatia tbh. Historically got a good record and really Croatia are going to be having that transitional tournament so major comedown after 2018.

Don't think 4 points off Czechs and Croatia is out of the question at all if they get the first goal in either game as they've been so much more solid and tough to beat under Steve Clarke than any other time in last decade and the midfield is actually one of the stronger ones from tier 2-3 teams in this tournament and couple of those could pop up with a goal compared to the more limited forward options.

4 points gets them through to knock out rounds for first time in history.

RedDevilRoshi

Marshall
McGinn
Adams - Fraser​
Hanley is my major concern. Don’t trust him at all. Would rather it was Cooper in there if he can stay fit or even Gallagher who hasn’t put a foot wrong when called upon.

I think Christie will definitely start ahead of Fraser.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeah, I'd say Christie will start and either McGregor or McTominay will make way. Likely to be Adams + one pacy outlet (Fraser or Forrest).

Would be nice to see Gilmour play, but I feel that Clarke is too cautious and certainly prized his destroyers in front of the defence for Kilmarnock.
Surely McTominay has to play. Ole of the few players they have playing at the top level.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Surely McTominay has to play. Ole of the few players they have playing at the top level.
Probably will. But he’s been mostly shunted to CB to date, partly because we were terribly short there, but partly because Jack was playing so well in the centre of midfield. Left back and central midfield are the two areas we have good depth in.

RedDevilRoshi

Probably will. But he’s been mostly shunted to CB to date, partly because we were terribly short there, but partly because Jack was playing so well in the centre of midfield. Left back and central midfield are the two areas we have good depth in.
Jack being ruled out is a massive blow.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He played all of the March games back in midfield so looks like that experiment has ended although he did a solid job in there.

Bwuk

Jack Hendry is a cert for the RCB.

Id be amazed if it was anything other than McTominay, McGregor & McGinn tbh.

MrBrightside1989

Hendry, Hanley, Tierney will start centre back. Maybe a bit harsh on Cooper who did ok for Leeds, and certainly at a higher level than Hendry in Belgium.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I could see them beating Croatia tbh. Historically got a good record and really Croatia are going to be having that transitional tournament so major comedown after 2018.

Don't think 4 points off Czechs and Croatia is out of the question at all if they get the first goal in either game as they've been so much more solid and tough to beat under Steve Clarke than any other time in last decade and the midfield is actually one of the stronger ones from tier 2-3 teams in this tournament and couple of those could pop up with a goal compared to the more limited forward options.

4 points gets them through to knock out rounds for first time in history.
Yeah. Croatia probably still favourites, but reading World Soccer and their media seem to be expecting to cruise the group, which seems a little naive in my view. I wouldn't be surprised if they get caught out here and bogged into a dogfight for qualification. First goal is key as you say.

Patterson should be in over O'Donnell imo.
Aye, although O'Donnell has never let us down, Patterson's ball-carrying ability is miles better and wing-back should suit his strengths. We've lacked much penetration down the right compared to what Tierney and Robertson have offered on the left.

I've got a nagging feeling that Patterson and Gilmour will only see some game time either when we've got nothing to play for or have nothing to lose.

Reiver

Gilmour looked excellent before he had to go off. Probably won't start against the Czechs.
Patterson also looked good, offered more attacking threat in about 30 minutes than O'Donnell has in all his caps combined.
Two bright spots for Scotland going forward.
Hanley is an accident waiting to happen, I don't know what Cooper is like in training but he must be awful for Hanley to have leapfrogged him back into the first team.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Gilmour has to start over McGregor.
Agreed. I love McGregor but he's been terrible this season.

I don't think Clarke has the bottle to do it though. He's too negative.

We're all in agreement Dykes shouldn't start any of the games right? Fully expect him to be first name on the teamsheet though :(

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Agreed. I love McGregor but he's been terrible this season.

I don't think Clarke has the bottle to do it though. He's too negative.

We're all in agreement Dykes shouldn't start any of the games right? Fully expect him to be first name on the teamsheet though :(
Dykes was brilliant v Serbia I thought. Not a great goalscorer but in some games he'll have his uses and I can see him starting v Czechs even if it's just to nulify Soucek on set pieces as that's a traditional weakness for Scotland over last 20 years since likes of Colin Hendry retired, concede so many cheap goals from headers (look at the recent Austria game).

Problem is Che Adams isn't half as effective upfront on his own as in a two. See at Southampton where he works well with Ings and even at Birmingham he had Lucas Jukewitz setting up most of his goals and he's similar type to Dykes.

Seems Clarke has stopped playing the 3-5-2 but think with the players that would actually be the best fit rather than the very hit and miss Forrest and Fraser being trusted to do stuff either side of the CF.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Gilmour and Patterson have to start on Monday. SC needs to grow a set and play the youngsters who are better players than the seniors they aim to replace.

RedDevilRoshi

Gilmour was brilliant when he came on and agree with the majority on here that he should start over McGregor.

Dykes & Adams worked well as a partnership although poor finishing from both which I hope isn’t going to come back and haunt us as we are going to have to take our chances when we get them.

Main concern for me though is Hanley. Guy is an absolute bombscare at the back and should be nowhere near the staring XI.

Andersons Dietician

I dont really watch much Scottish football overall but was quite impressed with Patterson last game. Looked really good and I agree on Gilmour. He needs to play. Been a big fan of his since he played against United last season I think it was. Looks a class player.

Sure Clarke will go for a wall instead. Never know how this will go but our ability to raise our game for big teams could come in handy.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I honestly cannot wait troops. Can remember 98 and all the excitement around the first game v Brazil and to have missed this build up and excitement for long....just buzzing for next Monday.

I have done a wee preview on our Euros and so on in the newest United Hour episode if anyone would like to hear what I think the team should / will be, players to watch for and so on.

Come on boys!

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I dont really watch much Scottish football overall but was quite impressed with Patterson last game. Looked really good and I agree on Gilmour. He needs to play. Been a big fan of his since he played against United last season I think it was. Looks a class player.

Sure Clarke will go for a wall instead. Never know how this will go but our ability to raise our game for big teams could come in handy.
Patterson Gilmour should both start. Before SC even named his squad, the three I hoped he’d bring in were Patterson Gilmour and Turnbull.
Is like to see Patterson starting but I doubt SC will.
Gilmour Should be first name on the team sheet imo, hes just a great wee player.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Scotland's best 11 would be this;

Gordon
Cooper McTominay Tierney
Patterson Gilmour McGregor Robertson
McGinn
Adams Forrest
McGregor has had a poor season but I think he's a decent player and deserves his spot. Only one that I'm unsure about is Forrest due to his injury issues. Doesn't really matter anyway as Hanley, Marshall and O'Donnell are certain to start.

Bwuk

Gordon
Cooper McTominay Tierney
McGinn
Adams Forrest
McGregor has had a poor season but I think he's a decent player and deserves his spot. Only one that I'm unsure about is Forrest due to his injury issues. Doesn't really matter anyway as Hanley, Marshall and O'Donnell are certain to start.
No chance. That’s just trying to fit McGregor in. Forrest is useless too.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....an-win-euro-2020-says-former-boss-craig-brown

Well, I admire his optimism or think he’s had one too many bottles of scotch. I think this current squad can reach the round of 16 and anything after will be a gigantic bonus.

Then again in Brown’s defence, hardly anyone predicted Greece winning it in 2004. Similar to Leicester winning the league in 2016
clearly it would be a massive shock. Is this team better than Greece in 2004? Shocks happen, but I wouldn’t put money on it…

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

Gordon
Cooper McTominay Tierney
McGinn
Adams Forrest
Turnbull for McGregor and Dykes for Forrest, Forrest not had much play time due to injury and McGregor had a horrible season.

RedDevilRoshi

Forrest is not useless.
Other than his hattrick against Israel and double against Albania, he’s been pretty non-effective when he’s played for Scotland. Can’t remember many games when he’s been absolutely fantastic and worthy of being in the starting lineup.

37 caps, 5 goals, 3 assists