Scotland National Team Discussion

Good luck I will always quietly cheer on the home nations.
do you? Genuine question.

rarely do I come across anyone from any of the home nations who would cheer on another. Especially in this situation when we have Scotland, Wales and England playing - which I assume is a first?

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
37 caps, 5 goals, 3 assists
Hes playing for Scotland, hes not going to have extremely high returns.

McFadden - 10 goals 2 assists in 43 caps
Naismith - 10 goals 8 assists in 51 caps
Armstrong - 2 goals 3 assists in 25 caps

Hes been excellent at Celtic and offers something different. Hes not a great player obviously but hes certainly not useless.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

rarely do I come across anyone from any of the home nations who would cheer on another. Especially in this situation when we have Scotland, Wales and England playing - which I assume is a first?
Yeah I've honestly always been this way. Probably comes from waiting decades to see Wales qualify so I just tend to support the players from the league I watch all the time - at least it used to be like that before so many imports.

Kopral Jono

I'm wondering what the deal is with Rangers fans and not supporting Scotland this Euro, just big weird 'Scouse not English' vibe all around if you ask me. It's been twenty odd years since Scotland last qualified for a major tournament!

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I'm wondering what the deal is with Rangers fans and not supporting Scotland this Euro, just big weird 'Scouse not English' vibe all around if you ask me. It's been twenty odd years since Scotland last qualified for a major tournament!
The Rangers fans are disenfranchised by the National Team due to the booing of their players by followers of other teams. Added to that, that the Scotland team have had a heavy Celtic presence and they cant come to support those players.
Some politics of Unionists versus independence supporters .
Tribalism at its very worst.
Thats not to say all Rangers fans as theres a lot who do support the NT.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

I’m the same, I’ve always supported the other home nations and Ireland.

When Wales qualify they’ll obviously be my first priority, but I still want the others to do well.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I know this angle has been vocalised and projected into the media recently, but it's a minority view amongst the Rangers support. In recent years as @lefty_jakobz says it has not been helped by certain Rangers players getting booed on Scotland duty. But I think most Scottish fans are above taking their petty club rivalries into the national team, in the same way most Scottish Rangers fans are above doing the same. Ultimately you get a core of most club supports, especially the big clubs, where a certain cohort care about solely their team, and to hell with everyone else. And it's probably more pronounced where society and politics are divided down one or two key issues as it is in Scotland,

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I know this angle has been vocalised and projected into the media recently, but it's a minority view amongst the Rangers support. In recent years as @lefty_jakobz says it has not been helped by certain Rangers players getting booed on Scotland duty. But I think most Scottish fans are above taking their petty club rivalries into the national team, in the same way most Scottish Rangers fans are above doing the same. Ultimately you get a core of most club supports, especially the big clubs, where a certain cohort care about solely their team, and to hell with everyone else. And it's probably more pronounced where society and politics are divided down one or two key issues as it is in Scotland,
I think also the way Rangers were shockingly demoted to the lower tiers of the Scottish football pyramid, may rankle still with their support.

Fingeredmouse

I was involved a ridiculous conversation quarter of a century ago where a Rangers season ticket holder was being referred to as "Jacobite" by the rest of his supporters' bus due to the fact he followed Scotland. It's a lot older and deeper than the independence movement and, for similar but vice versa reasons, when I saw Scotland play Eire at Hampden, the vast majority of the away end was Glaswegian.

That's the fecking Old Firm for you.

Reiver

I've been to plenty of Scotland matches where it feels like nearly the whole starting 11's names were met mainly with boos. Personally, I can remember booing Gary McAllister - not because of Liverpool- but because of that ruddy penalty miss in Euro 96.
I also remember seeing a few surveys from the early noughties that suggested the bulk of the home support was from the East and North East coast.

This Euros is a great opportunity to put some ghosts to bed - Leveins 5-5-0 against the Czechs in 2010, and of course, England in Euro 96. The Czechs same the likelier prospect. Roll on next week.

Bwuk

Already sick of the see you Jimmy hats and tins of shortbread shops are trying to foist on everyone when you go in now.

Mon the Czechs!
Why would you not want Scotland to do well?

Fingeredmouse

Already sick of the see you Jimmy hats and tins of shortbread shops are trying to foist on everyone when you go in now.

Mon the Czechs!
Never, ever go to Edinburgh if that schtick freaks you out.

...and come on. Take a drink. Join in the fun. Give us a wee smile.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah, just had an incredible season and will probably sign for one of the top clubs
9 goals and 7 assists for Farense last season. Apparently available on a free transfer and rumours of up to 30 clubs showing an interest- including the likes of Porto and Southampton.
Good to hear. I know he struggled initially and that was disappointing because the few matches I saw of him while still in the Scottish league he looked phenomenal.

Reiver

Another reason why I hope we beat the Czechs is because they keep bleating on about how the match ban that was handed out to the player who racially abused Kamara was too harsh.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good luck I will always quietly cheer on the home nations.
Same, but for some reason I'm more inclined to root for the Scots than the Welsh. Aside from when they're playing us, I'll be right behind Scotland all the way through.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
For me the Euros start now. Was all well watching the other teams play as a football fan (and watching the Copa start) but until we start our first match its like the rest have all been meaningless!

Dante

Average bang

I definitely want Scotland to win. They and Wales are my 'second' teams.

It wouldn't be accurate to say I'm going to be cheering. But I will be hoping for a win.

I'm not somebody who puts a lot of stock into personal identities. But if I did, I'd be Manc first, then Brit, then English.

I definitely want Scotland to win. They and Wales are my 'second' teams.

It wouldn't be accurate to say I'm going to be cheering. But I will be hoping for a win.

I'm not somebody who puts a lot of stock into personal identities. But if I did, I'd be Manc first, then Brit, then English.
cheers.

I would be British, then English. I’ve moved around a lot, so don’t have a regional home. But then sport puts you in an English/ Scottish/ Welsh/ NI box which takes precedent when when watching.

id probably only cheer on Wales and Scotland on the basis that they are the underdogs. But then that would also apply to North Macedonia… every game as a neutral I would support the underdog.

I cheered the Welsh goal the other day. I’d like them to do well - just as long England go further!

Jack-C20

I’ll be pleased to see Scotland do alright. My other half is full Scottish so there’s that and I’ve never been remotely tribal. Hoping for a McTominay rocket.