5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

I think it's definitely wishful thinking. He doesn't have enough about him to last here.
He's 21.

What did Lingard show at 21. O'Shea, Wes Brown, Fletcher etc.

Madness how quickly people want to write a player off that the manager clearly rates very highly.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers

Not sure if there's a good way to embed an IG post but there's the link anyway. It's from @scotlandnationalteam during a foot-volleyball training session. McTominay strikes a pretty mean bicycle there...had no idea he was that agile..like a bloody ninja :eek: As Jose said, we really haven't seen what this lad is capable of... I'm excited to see what next season brings for him.
smalling can do this in training, one thing is to do something in a training session another in a real game. Not trying to be negative but actually amateur footballer will do this in training and can actually hit it well, unlike McTominay here

Bwuk

Aside from Lingard, those players were all great prospects. McTominay isn't. If he was playing elsewhere we'd never look near him.
You could say that about basically our whole first team squad! Let alone a 21 yr old squad player!

Sterling Archer

Not too many Premier League players are that agile, certainly not 6' plus CMs.

In any case, everybody has a camera, mate. Use your phone and go for it. And please do share
smalling can do this in training, one thing is to do something in a training session another in a real game. Not trying to be negative but actually amateur footballer will do this in training and can actually hit it well, unlike McTominay here
Nuances

What impressed me want the fact that he does a bicycle .It's the ability, the speed and flexibility you see in him. I've seen a 30 year old Rooney score a bicycle but never would use agile to describe him let alone ninja.

We saw a couple flashes in matches. The mid has some quick feet/quickness about him. Maybe it was easy to see for some but this thread and many a match day and mid field thread loves to characterise him as lumbering, limited so on

Eleven-Eighteen

Not good enough for United. Did not deserve the MPTOY but clearly i'm not the Manager, so not the one to decide. Personally, i think Jose didn't see any stand out performances from any of the big stars (Pogba, Lukaku etc.) so he gave it to a young guy that no one on the team would be jealous of in any way.

McTominay is a good squad player to have in the team for the odd Carling Cup or early round FA cup games. But his footwork is too sloppy for me to rate him highly as a long-term replacement for Matic

AndyJ1985

That's because fans aren't as great scouts as they think they are
No it's because McTominay wouldn't look out of place at any team in the bottom of the league.

If Charlie Adam had been a United academy player when he was 20 there would be arguments on here about how he should be given a chance in the first team. Because some people are blinkered by their love of academy players and the romanticism of winning the treble with the next "class of 92", that they'll pretend every single one of our youth players is good enough to make it at this club, when in reality very few of them will make it here.

Sterling Archer

No it's because McTominay wouldn't look out of place at any team in the bottom of the league.

If Charlie Adam had been a United academy player when he was 20 there would be arguments on here about how he should be given a chance in the first team. Because some people are blinkered by their love of academy players and the romanticism of winning the treble with the next "class of 92", that they'll pretend every single one of our youth players is good enough to make it at this club, when in reality very few of them will make it here.
There are quite a few hypotheticals going on there, masking a very pessimistic outlook. Forget history. I don't know what the class of '92 looked like on their loan spells or and can only attest to their first team showings.

For me, here, it's the same. I'm not going off romanticism. Just what I've seen of McTominay do against some decent sides in the league. Evans was the last youngster I can remember slotting straight into big games so calmly and he turned out a decent servant for us. And he had VDS , Vida, Rio and Evra to learn from!

Bwuk

I watched Charlie Adam when he was 20.

Nowhere near McTominays level.

Alabaster Codify7

If we sign one more MF, I'd definitely loan Scott out for the season somewhere he's bound to get a lot f game-time. I'm not convinced he'll amount to anything more than TOm Cleverly, a reliable squad player but happy to be proven wrong.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I really didn’t rate this lad but then I went to OT and watched the Liverpool game in March.

He was brilliant, off the ball he’s constantly running and closing off opposition passes, always looking for space when we have the ball and was quite good when being pressed. I was really impressed with him.

Sometimes watching it on the box doesn’t give you the full picture of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.