5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

For every academy player who gets a chance there is so much hype. And people are clutching at straws. I said it first time when i saw him and i will repeat it now. He is another tom cleverley. I don't see anything in him which can prove me that he will/can be our first team midfielder.
Lots of you talk about his positioning and hard working. Is that become enough for united midfielder? Time when clubs played with classic destroyer is over. Midfielder must be complete player. If his position will be box to box or anchor man( he surely can't be playmaker) do you see anything in which he can be class player? His shooting? Passing? Extra good tackling? Dictating tempo? I don't. I see player with huge passion, who runs a lot and is fearless. If that is standard even for united backup midfielder then we are fecked.
Good post. Sums my feelings up to.

Mourinho bigging this guy up excessively while treating the likes of Bailly like crap is bizarre.

FujiVice

I take Gary Neville's comments on board, but I guarantee if McTominay was available for selection for England he wouldnt have said a fecking word about him not being good enough.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think he did well the last match. Didn't know he was also considered a CB. Didn't he play a few games as a striker for the U21's last year? Im not sure he is anything other than a midfielder tbh. No reason to overhype him but i don't get the hate, what players lacks in talent in some areas can be made up for in other areas. It's up to him how far he can take it.

Nick7

Good post. Sums my feelings up to.

Mourinho bigging this guy up excessively while treating the likes of Bailly like crap is bizarre.
He's hardly treating Bailly like crap. Bailly was poor early in the season, injured for a long time and has been poor since coming back from injury. Not playing a player that's out of form isn't treating them like crap.

JoaquinJoaquin

He's hardly treating Bailly like crap. Bailly was poor early in the season, injured for a long time and has been poor since coming back from injury. Not playing a player that's out of form isn't treating them like crap.
He said he isn't playing Bailly solely because he isn't going to the World Cup yet he picks McTominay. It's madness.

Nick7

He said he isn't playing Bailly solely because he isn't going to the World Cup yet he picks McTominay. It's madness.
again, not treating someone like crap. also it's not madness as Bailly has been in poor form. there are other centre backs playing better than Bailly recently.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think he did well the last match. Didn't know he was also considered a CB. Didn't he play a few games as a striker for the U21's last year? Im not sure he is anything other than a midfielder tbh. No reason to overhype him but i don't get the hate, what players lacks in talent in some areas can be made up for in other areas. It's up to him how far he can take it.
It is not hate. It is reality check. Why opinion based only on football reasons, would be hate? On highest level in sport, talent is only thing that you can't learn or adapt. You can learn tactics, how to behave, how to be professional but if you don't have talent, you can't succeeed on highest level. Ok you can but it is not so likely. Look at barca, real, bayern. Clubs with which we must compare ourselves. In those clubs every player from full back to striker have good skills, good technique, flair...
So again, when we give a chance to young player he must have potential to be new scholes, keane, rio. Not new cleverley or welbeck. I know it is harsh from me, it is maybe unpopular but it is reality in club which want to win titles. We are not everton or burnley.

clarkydaz

I take Gary Neville's comments on board, but I guarantee if McTominay was available for selection for England he wouldnt have said a fecking word about him not being good enough.
i thought it was a strange low comment to make, and not sure its his place to be judging if he good enough for a club when his job is to commentate on a game

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I thought he made some really good runs on the last third without receiving the ball. Lack of trust from team mates might also be a signal of something.

Prongsy

Neville can perfectly feel how he feels, but I personally think Scott Mctominay is going to be a world class midfielder.

Kearnkoff69

I like McTominay. He's not the cream of the crop of our homegrown midfield prospects, but he's lucked out with the situation at the club and the manager we have right now. I don't think he's going to be world class, but he could become a useful squad player for us. Regardless of how you feel about his potential, I'd much rather promote from within and pay our squad players reasonable wages than spend money to bring in average subs who will command higher wages.

C'est Moi Cantona

Mourinho doesn't really rate him, he just saw a big lad in the reserves when we needed a midfielder and thought he'd do, the fact he's been ok at times is more luck than judgement imo.

He is the player he can pat himself on the back for playing, and the fact he chose him as his player of the year only confirms this, I have nothing against Mctominay, he is better than few midfielder we've had recently, but he wouldn't see the light of day in most top teams.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Neville can perfectly feel how he feels, but I personally think Scott Mctominay is going to be a world class midfielder.
What makes you think that? I don't see it one bit. I love it when young players break through, but he is not good enough to be a united player. A squad player perhaps, but I'd even argue that maybe even that is beyond him.

Unless, that is, he changes his game and really specializes in one role - such as a Busquets type or something.

montpelier

I was reading that he's started 6 games - one of these was one of our best wins & he was very good indeed from what I remember (which isn't the opposition tbh, :D)

We could give him a little bit more time though and show a bit of patience, surely?

Last edited:

Cathy Ferguson

If only Martial had McTominay's passion and attitude. Scott can do a specific job in certain games for us but he seems quite limited as a player.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Side note but Neville really can't type punctuation very well, can he?

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I am all for supporting kids but at the end of the year 22 years old Scott is average at best, I understand that he's tall and Mourinho might like to develop players like that but he doesn't have a skillset to be nowhere near any good for a Manchester United midfielder of any kind. Gibson, Cleverley, Pearson, Rothwell and I could name at least 10other youth players from our academy which have been at least a level above him and better footballers.

It is just Mourinho's stubbornes to develop a kid with a good attitude with good physical parameters and trying to prove his (non)point with a mix of luck for the kid that we didn't have any other single promising central midfielder who would be physically ready at the time.

I don't see any reason any team even in the championship would take a player like him on loan, he can put in a tackle as can 100other midfielders but boy can't pass to save his life.. If he gets out of United he will drop few leagues and would be surprised to see him reach the premier league level for few years, in fact I highly doubt he would ever play premier league on regular basis if we release him..

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I am all for supporting kids but at the end of the year 22 years old Scott is average at best, I understand that he's tall and Mourinho might like to develop players like that but he doesn't have a skillset to be nowhere near any good for a Manchester United midfielder of any kind. Gibson, Cleverley, Pearson, Rothwell and I could name at least 10other youth players from our academy which have been at least a level above him and better footballers.

It is just Mourinho's stubbornes to develop a kid with a good attitude with good physical parameters and trying to prove his (non)point with a mix of luck for the kid that we didn't have any other single promising central midfielder who would be physically ready at the time.

I don't see any reason any team even in the championship would take a player like him on loan, he can put in a tackle as can 100other midfielders but boy can't pass to save his life.. If he gets out of United he will drop few leagues and would be surprised to see him reach the premier league level for few years, in fact I highly doubt he would ever play premier league on regular basis if we release him..
There is quite a few theories on why Mourinho gives McTom a chance, but I wanna make two points;
A) Being stubborn on a talent will not give Mou anything. Worst case, he will look stupid,
B) Mourinho have worked with quite a few good talents/players,
C) He and his team study McTom everyday

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
There is quite a few theories on why Mourinho gives McTom a chance, but I wanna make two points;
A) Being stubborn on a talent will not give Mou anything. Worst case, he will look stupid,
B) Mourinho have worked with quite a few good talents/players,
C) He and his team study McTom everyday
okay fine so I wonder what did Van Gaal see in Paddy McNair or someone like Tyler Blackett, those players will also be lucky to play premier league. Some managers are simply stubborn have their picks in young players who totally respect them, but they can be just wrong about their choice. I think this is the classic case of that..

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21

Quite possibly one of the worst posts I've ever seen on here, and that's really saying something.

Forums like these are made for debate, and obviously people will have differences of opinions, but to be so totally and catastrophically wrong is genuinely surprising.

You don't come through the ranks of Manchester United, get selected for the first team consistently and in big games by being a League One level player.

Saying he can't pass is insane, he generally keeps it simple (as he's instructed to do in order to help with the transition between our defense and more creative midfielders) but there have been plenty of instances of him threading forward passes into good areas.

In the last 12 months he's impressed his club manager, his international manager (as well as Gareth Southgate) and Sir Alex Ferguson, but it's great to know that you know more and can so confidentially state that he's nowhere near good enough.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Quite possibly one of the worst posts I've ever seen on here, and that's really saying something.

Forums like these are made for debate, and obviously people will have differences of opinions, but to be so totally and catastrophically wrong is genuinely surprising.

You don't come through the ranks of Manchester United, get selected for the first team consistently and in big games by being a League One level player.

Saying he can't pass is insane, he generally keeps it simple (as he's instructed to do in order to help with the transition between our defense and more creative midfielders) but there have been plenty of instances of him threading forward passes into good areas.

In the last 12 months he's impressed his club manager, his international manager (as well as Gareth Southgate) and Sir Alex Ferguson, but it's great to know that you know more and can so confidentially state that he's nowhere near good enough.
Exactly. The state of this place sometimes.

vangagal

Martial treated like second coming of Jesus because Jose seemed doesnt rated him while Scott treated like pile of shite because Jose praised him well. Whats new on Caf eh?
People want youth given the chances, Jose provide it but no, he is liar apparently. When in fact, people just want their preference youth players given chances, no one else.

haram

He needs time to grow and make mistakes. Playing in CM for such a big club is not easy.

People are shitting on him just so they can say “I told you so”. What’s wrong with giving him a chance? Yeah, there’s a chance he wont make it here, but Jose and SAF obviously see something.

mu4c_20le

Martial treated like second coming of Jesus because Jose seemed doesnt rated him while Scott treated like pile of shite because Jose praised him well. Whats new on Caf eh?
People want youth given the chances, Jose provide it but no, he is liar apparently. When in fact, people just want their preference youth players given chances, no one else.
One plays with flair while the other is a work horse who is very obedient and does whatever hes told. Jose's preferences eh?

GM K

I have read many posts about McTominay not being good enough for United. This is the first post I will read saying McTominay is not even good enough for the championship.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is it a surprise that people want to see exciting, fast, talented, flair players on the pitch for us? Whether that's youth from our ranks, or elsewhere. That's what we need. We've been way too safe for years, so when somebody plays with risk, theyll get the support of the fans as that's what they want to see.

AgentP

I just don't see the potential. I may be wrong but I think at most he'll end up at a mid-table club. The one thing I like about him is that he doesn't panic even under pressure situations.

Litch

For every academy player who gets a chance there is so much hype. And people are clutching at straws. I said it first time when i saw him and i will repeat it now. He is another tom cleverley. I don't see anything in him which can prove me that he will/can be our first team midfielder.
Lots of you talk about his positioning and hard working. Is that become enough for united midfielder? Time when clubs played with classic destroyer is over. Midfielder must be complete player. If his position will be box to box or anchor man( he surely can't be playmaker) do you see anything in which he can be class player? His shooting? Passing? Extra good tackling? Dictating tempo? I don't. I see player with huge passion, who runs a lot and is fearless. If that is standard even for united backup midfielder then we are fecked.
Spot on. If the lad was wearing a Southampton shirt, there wouldn't be a post on here saying we need to sign him, nor would there me on any other forum other than maybe middle table team or championship team at best. Thursday was the perfect game to showcase his talent, he had Herrera covering and West Ham midfielders over Pogba like a rash. The lad is slow and predictable. His passing is limited and he sooner run first to shorten the distance to pass it than pass it quickly from deep. He control is piss poor and that's why he gets himself in 50/50 tackles when the balls ran away from him. If the lad was 5' 10, he wouldn't be anywhere near the first team.
Honest hard working lad and I get your comments about hyping academy players but in fairness, most came with a least something to be hyped about, Scott wasn't even that great in U23!!!

Ekeke

Was Matic standing out much more than McTominay does at 22? I honestly dont know. I didnt watch him at all for Chelsea in his first spell. But the fact they sold him suggests he wasnt looking like the player he would become.

While I definitely agree that the hype we've heard about McTominay this season, him being picked instead of Ander, Mourinho making him out to be special, etc. are way over the top, I do think he's shown that he might be able to develop into a decent player and some of the posts here about him are a bit over the top. He's just going to take a while to develop and he's not ready yet to compete for a starting role at United.

Next season he needs to either go out on loan, or be used in our cup team and a few rotated appearances. I can see him being a useful squad player in the next couple of years. But I dont think Mourinho's comments, and the comments he gets on here about being a potential world class CM, or overhyping his performances really helps him because it'll set unrealistic expectations of him. Likewise when people make out he cant possibly ever become a pretty good player because he isnt talented enough, wont help either.

He's just a young player with strengths and weaknesses and we'll have to see how he does. Dont expect too much of him and dont write him off either. He may make it and he may not.

Status
Not open for further replies.