Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

I really like McTominay.

Would like to see him given a loan if we can find a club he’ll be a starter at. We have a lot of midfield options.

Flying_Heckfish

Midfield options:

Primary:
  • Pogba
  • Herrera
  • Matic
  • Fred
  • Fellaini
  • McTominay

Additional:
  • Lingard (England style)
  • Pereira
  • TFM (arguable)
  • Blind (almost sold)
  • Tuanzebe (arguable)
We'll play three so 4+1 youth is ideal,but we have 5+1 so he may struggle for enough games to progress. Just depends whether we think it prudent to loan him instead. I'd do that at promo Pereira for this season and make a decision at the start of 2019/20 between the two. Pereira can spread his games on the wing/attack as well, which helps.

ti vu

Is it just me or he grows taller and more muscular? Looks taller and broader than Smalling from the training video

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Will be interesting if he can step up because he needs to, lucky with Matic joining later and Fred injured, let´s see how he does next to much more talented Pereira

Silas

I know it's a preseason match, but I'm still struggling to see what he's good at.

kundalini

I suppose people see what they want to see. I thought he put in a decent performance, especially compared to the other midfielders.

ti vu

Can somebody explain what happened with him? What kind of injury? Let's hope it's nothing serious.
Same question. Something went wrong with overhead kick. He had couple minutes crouching down. Thought it's lef injury, but ended up look like a head injury.

Performance wise, I don't get the bad rating. He is not the players you ask for cutting edge creativity, superb ball carrying ability through midfield. Keep position well and cover his zone well. Staying relevant in the game, not drifting out which youngsters tend to. Everyone look like having one or couple bad moment during the first pre season game so his bad touch is not something unexpected.

Litch

This lad should be absolutely no where near the first team. I said it before, if he played for Everton Utd wouldn't be making any attempt to buy him nor would any other top 6 club. I know his role but he is here on the basis of his size and discipline, and not any football ability.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hopefully he can turn into a decent water carrier for us. I think Gary Neville is right about him though.

JoaquinJoaquin

Needs a loan somewhere in the Championship where he will play every game. His current level isn't that of a United player.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I love how this kid strips down the 'we care about the youth, let them develop' and 'Jose is a dick because he doesn't play the youth' myths spouted by some. The amount of shit he gets in other players' threads because other, the apparently more talented youth players (and this isn't even about the youngers lads, I've seen comments suggesting that 'he shouldn't be anywhere ahead of Pereira' already), are not getting as much playtime, is fecking staggering.

You lot don't give a shit about developing the youth, the moment one of our youth players is tall and fits' Jose's profile it doesn't fecking matter. You're not a youth/academy product unless you are 5 ft 5 and playing in an attacking position. Hypocritical and deluded.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He won Jose’s Youth Player Lottery seemingly on the basis that he was amongst the most physically developed.

There are a number of outstanding young talents coming through various PL academies at the moment, in various positions, and McTomminay isn’t one of them. I’ve seen very little since last summer to justify such such an investment of games. It’s particularly annoying as we have so much top level young talent, and it’s likely only one will get a proper crack at a time, so on what basis is Scott the chosen one out of all we have in our academy?!

JoaquinJoaquin

I love how this kid strips down the 'we care about the youth, let them develop' and 'Jose is a dick because he doesn't play the youth' myths spouted by some. The amount of shit he gets in other players' threads because other, the apparently more talented youth players (and this isn't even about the youngers lads, I've seen comments suggesting that 'he shouldn't be anywhere ahead of Pereira' already), are not getting as much playtime, is fecking staggering.

You lot don't give a shit about developing the youth, the moment one of our youth players is tall and fits' Jose's profile it doesn't fecking matter. You're not a youth/academy product unless you are 5 ft 5 and playing in an attacking position. Hypocritical and deluded.
Not sure why you are so aggressive on this topic but i'll respond anyways.

It's not that people don't 'give a shit about developing youth', I'm sure most people want that to happen as it is in the United DNA. But at the same time just because they come from the academy does not mean they are always good enough either. For every Marcus Rashford there is a James Wilson for example. Not every youth player is good enough unfortunately, and from what I have seen of McTominay thus far, he isn't good enough to warrant the position he is in. Harsh but true.

And you make that statement, But most people are buzzing about Chong, Tuanzebe, Gomes and to a degree Fosu-Mensah.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

You're spot on mate. McTominay has been a target of unwarranted hate from the Mourinho out crowd because Mourinho rates him and played him over Pogba for a few games last season. It's pathetic, they bang on about giving youth a chance because it's the United way but are not prepared to be patient with McTominay. :confused:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Is there a level that a young tall, central/defensive midfielder could be at that you would think is not of the level of one United should be developing in the first team? And if so, is McTomminay better than this level?

Yagami

Good post resistant

It's not that people don't 'give a shit about developing youth', I'm sure most people want that to happen as it is in the United DNA. But at the same time just because they come from the academy does not mean they are always good enough either. For every Marcus Rashford there is a James Wilson for example. Not every youth player is good enough unfortunately, and from what I have seen of McTominay thus far, he isn't good enough to warrant the position he is in. Harsh but true.

And you make that statement, But most people are buzzing about Chong, Tuanzebe, Gomes and to a degree Fosu-Mensah.
Agreed. I don't want any youth player playing for us just because they came from the academy - I just want to see the ones who show promise be given the chance to make it here. With McTominay, I've always thought he was rubbish. Whether it was for the 1st team or U23s.

Kostur

海尔的老板

That would be nice and all if the rule was applied to all of our players. If McTominay isn't good enough, why is Tuanzebe, TFM or Pereira, all of whom to a certain degree haven't done as well as expected on their loans?

People make statements in regards to 'why is McTominay played and Chong/Gomes won't be played ffs' after Chong's 30 minutes in a pre-season friendly or based on their U-Xs performances. They make predictions that a 17 and a 18 year olds won't be played and that they are already ready, trying to shoot down a 21 year old McTominay who plays in a different position to Chong and most likely a different role to Gomes at the same time. It's like saying 'why is Bailly playing when Martial isn't'. It's genuinely the same type of shit.

And this is exactly why I believe my statement is true. If McTominay wasn't Mourinho's pupil, people wouldn't give a shit if he's good enough or not as long as he was our academy product and played. McTominay, just like other players like Fellaini, is used to bash Mourinho. This is beyond idiotic and this place has become massively toxic.

He's only 21, that's extremely young for a central midfielder. At that age Scholes couldn't get a game, Keane was just beginning to establish himself at Forest, and Carrick was guiding West Ham down to the First Division. He has plenty of time to establish himself and figure out his game. He's not the finished article but there's more than enough at 21 to keep giving him chances.

Jon_Tipper1992

How old is he, 20? Give him time and experience he needs. I think he is never going to set the world alight attacking wise, but his position isn't for that and we need to have faith in Jose, if he is good on the ball works hard and gives attacking players freedom they need then I'm all for him. Kante is the best example of that.

I personally think United have plenty of promising youth players. Fosu Mensah should be given game time in the first team, he could well be a replacement for Valencia.

I can't see Mctominay getting much game time in the first team this season anyway, as Pogba, Fred & Matic will have Herrera and Fellaini as main backup.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's only 21, that's extremely young for a central midfielder. At that age Scholes couldn't get a game, Keane was just beginning to establish himself at Forest, and Carrick was guiding West Ham down to the First Division. He has plenty of time to establish himself and figure out his game. He's not the finished article but there's more than enough at 21 to keep giving him chances.
Scholes at the age of 20 played 25 games for ManUtd, and then next season played 31 games.

JoaquinJoaquin

That would be nice and all if the rule was applied to all of our players. If McTominay isn't good enough, why is Tuanzebe, TFM or Pereira, all of whom to a certain degree haven't done as well as expected on their loans?

People make statements in regards to 'why is McTominay played and Chong/Gomes won't be played ffs' after Chong's 30 minutes in a pre-season friendly or based on their U-Xs performances. They make predictions that a 17 and a 18 year olds won't be played and that they are already ready, trying to shoot down a 21 year old McTominay who plays in a different position to Chong and most likely a different role to Gomes at the same time. It's like saying 'why is Bailly playing when Martial isn't'. It's genuinely the same type of shit.

And this is exactly why I believe my statement is true. If McTominay wasn't Mourinho's pupil, people wouldn't give a shit if he's good enough or not as long as he was our academy product and played. McTominay, just like other players like Fellaini, is used to bash Mourinho. This is beyond idiotic and this place has become massively toxic.
For me the jury is out on Pereira and TFM to. We can't always judge a loan spell as an indicator of a player though, as there are times when the loan has just been wrong club, wrong time. In the case of TFM, he had some excellent games (like the game against City where he was MOM) but the 2nd part of the season fizzled out for him, why that is i'm not sure. The fact he is an international now for Holland shows that he does have an excellent future. Whether that is here though is on how he develops, as he certainly has the attributes to be an important player for us.

That bolded part is just plain daft IMO. If he isn't good enough, people wouldn't want him to play. Doesn't matter whether he is an academy prospect or not. Like I said, people would prefer to have academy players in the team if they are good enough, but we can't just stick anyone in the team for the sake of it solely because of where they came from.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I personally don't have any of them 3 down as good enough at the moment and, honestly, am not sure any will even make it here, but they have impressed me in the youth teams so I'm all for giving them a shot at making it here. McTominay has never impressed which, for me, is the difference.
I don't like José, but I don't agree with this. Me not rating McTominay has nothing to do with José - I held this opinion before he was even promoted. I rate players based on what I see on the pitch - nothing else. Like, I wasn't a big fan of signing Matic but now he's one of my favourite players in the squad, and, in my opinion and contrary to the consensus on here, on of our most consistent players, and he's one of José's personal favourites.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not every youth midfielder just gets games in the first team until they reach 24 or whatever simply because that’s a ‘reasonable age to determine the level of a midfielder’.

There must be a basis. We would still have Ben Pearson, Ryan Tunnicliffe and others running around our midfield ‘just in case’ they were players. The issue with McTomminay is that he’s shown no indication that he’s a top player in the making. That isn’t the same as say, Paul Pogba when he was in the academy, or Davide Petrucci.

What is the justification for playing McTomminay for Manchester United? Other than ‘he’s a good boy’, there is nothing to explain why he’s a young Manchester United midfielder as opposed to a young Leeds United midfielder.

Scholes at the age of 20 played 25 games for ManUtd, and then next season played 31 games.
Yes, and over half of those were as a substitute, and none were in the central midfield position he would later move into.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yes, and over half of those were as a substitute, and none were in the central midfield position he would later move into.
He showed so much promise though, from the beginning. There's no comparison with McTominay.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not every youth midfielder just gets games in the first team until they reach 24 or whatever simply because that’s a ‘reasonable age to determine the level of a midfielder’.

There must be a basis. We would still have Ben Pearson, Ryan Tunnicliffe and others running around our midfield ‘just in case’ they were players. The issue with McTomminay is that he’s shown no indication that he’s a top player in the making. That isn’t the same as say, Paul Pogba when he was in the academy, or Davide Petrucci.

What is the justification for playing McTomminay for Manchester United? Other than ‘he’s a good boy’, there is nothing to explain why he’s a young Manchester United midfielder as opposed to a young Leeds United midfielder.
That's bollox. He's had some very good games for the United first team already, against PL opposition. That's your indication, right there. Development isn't linear. Loads of kids look amazing at underage level but dire when they start playing senior football. The simple fact that McTominay has coped reasonably well with being fast-tracked into the first team last season puts him ahead of loads of kids that have been in our academy that were destined for great things - according to the redcafe scouting geniuses - but ended up not good enough to play for any PL team, never mind Manchester United.

His main thing for me is his composure, which is rare at a young age. He always turns the right way, rarely gives the ball away cheaply, and he is pretty good at breaking up play already. The last one is something that does come with age and experience. We dropped him in it against Liverpool and he came away glowing, that's better than any academy performances. Where is Petrucci now? He needs to improve aspects of his game but that's why he's training with the first team now.

No one is looking for 50 yard through balls from him, but if he can be the player that breaks things up and facilitates the Pogbas around him then thats great. He might be another Cleverley but he might be the next Matic for us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah but he was getting games and he was attacking player so he got games as attacking player.

Same with Keane, at McTominay's age, he was at Nottingham forest. Also Mctominay will be 22 in December, at that age Keane played 37 league games for ManUtd.

Nothing against McTominay though, he is decent player and gets so much undeserved criticism.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's bollox. He's had some very good games for the United first team already, against PL opposition. That's your indication, right there.
Not enough for me. He has been competent in some games, but not shown that he has the ability to lead or impose himself on the team. Those good games you are referencing, I will not deny, but I don’t believe they are performances you couldn’t get from any number of ultimately not good enough midfielders. The likes of Pearson and Tunnicliffe, for instance.

Take Tom Davies at Everton. He’s clearly ‘developing’ and all that. He’s had good games and poor/average ones. But there is a massive difference between his ‘good games’ and McTomminay’s. You can see why he’s worth persisting with, McTomminay has given performances to the same level as the likes of McNair and others when put in he first team.

Long and short, I don’t think young players should be getting a run of games in the United team unless they look like they could be amongst the best players in the league/Europe. Of course, sometimes they fall short of that, and end up at a more average level and stay as squad players etc - but we should never be looking to develop players to be that level.

ZenMaster Coltrane

How old is he, 20? Give him time and experience he needs. I think he is never going to set the world alight attacking wise, but his position isn't for that and we need to have faith in Jose, if he is good on the ball works hard and gives attacking players freedom they need then I'm all for him. Kante is the best example of that.

I personally think United have plenty of promising youth players. Fosu Mensah should be given game time in the first team, he could well be a replacement for Valencia.

I can't see Mctominay getting much game time in the first team this season anyway, as Pogba, Fred & Matic will have Herrera and Fellaini as main backup.
He is not. He is a disciple from the school of Sideways Passing. If he was under 6 foot, he'd have no starts to his name. We can argue all day about the many current players who are not good enough to form a title winning side (they are numerous!) but the issue with Mourinho is that he doesn't take technically pedestrian players and make them better. He may sometimes be able to mold them to fit limited pre-defined defensive oriented roles but that's about it. They're only as good as their ability and their own self-development allow.

Kostur

海尔的老板
For me the jury is out on Pereira and TFM to. We can't always judge a loan spell as an indicator of a player though, as there are times when the loan has just been wrong club, wrong time. In the case of TFM, he had some excellent games (like the game against City where he was MOM) but the 2nd part of the season fizzled out for him, why that is i'm not sure. The fact he is an international now for Holland shows that he does have an excellent future. Whether that is here though is on how he develops, as he certainly has the attributes to be an important player for us.

That bolded part is just plain daft IMO. If he isn't good enough, people wouldn't want him to play. Doesn't matter whether he is an academy prospect or not. Like I said, people would prefer to have academy players in the team if they are good enough, but we can't just stick anyone in the team for the sake of it solely because of where they came from.
But we apparently can judge from appearances for u21s and u23s that player X and Y are talented enough to feature in the main squad and that their talent is worth nurturing over McTominay's, completely disregarding how much of a transition it is from U21s/U23s and that McTominay is 3 years older than Chong, 4 than Gomes. McTominay is an international for Scotland.

The second bolded links heavily with what I've said above. How can you (not you specifically, mind) say that Gomes/Chong (keep in mind that both are playing different positions/roles to McTominay, which doesn't stop people from saying 'why is McTominay playing while Chong/Gomes aren't') are ready for playing for the main squad while McTominay isn't good enough? @Yagami raises a good point that he's never impressed him in the youth setups, which is fine enough, but you've got shitloads of people saying that they haven't even watched the match today morning and base all of their idiotic assumptions on a fecking highlights or 'best skills' compilations for U21/23 teams. It's pure bullshit.

Indnyc

Struggle to understand what his role was today. He seemed to be in a more attacking role than usual but neither him nor Herrera really supported Martial from midfield. It caused such a big gap that we barely had a functional attack.

Don’t think he is suited for the role he was asked to play today. Probably better suited to play deeper in a 3; back up to Matic.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His main thing for me is his composure, which is rare at a young age. He always turns the right way, rarely gives the ball away cheaply, and he is pretty good at breaking up play already. The last one is something that does come with age and experience. We dropped him in it against Liverpool and he came away glowing, that's better than any academy performances. Where is Petrucci now? He needs to improve aspects of his game but that's why he's training with the first team now.

No one is looking for 50 yard through balls from him, but if he can be the player that breaks things up and facilitates the Pogbas around him then thats great. He might be another Cleverley but he might be the next Matic for us.
That’s a fair opinion I think. I agree that he is composed. I just don’t think he’s shown an aptitude to do much more than ‘not let the team down’. I think his better games for us have been more a case of him ‘not letting the team down’ rather than show that he threatens to be a key contributor in his own right.

Of course, Pettruci is nowhere now, that’s not my point. The point is what he and Pogba showed as kids is what I expect to see warrant a chance. I don’t think it can be argued that McTomminay showed far less in our academy than Pogba, Petrucci, Cleverley or Pereira - so the question is, if he has done enough to earn all these games, then we could just as easily play Hamilton or any other for 20 games and expect a similar performance. Scott would not look out of place if he were in the Derby County youth system for me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But we apparently can judge from appearances for u21s and u23s that player X and Y are talented enough to feature in the main squad and that their talent is worth nurturing over McTominay's, completely disregarding how much of a transition it is from U21s/U23s and that McTominay is 3 years older than Chong, 4 than Gomes. McTominay is an international for Scotland.

The second bolded links heavily with what I've said above. How can you (not you specifically, mind) say that Gomes/Chong (keep in mind that both are playing different positions/roles to McTominay, which doesn't stop people from saying 'why is McTominay playing while Chong/Gomes aren't') are ready for playing for the main squad while McTominay isn't good enough? @Yagami raises a good point that he's never impressed him in the youth setups, which is fine enough, but you've got shitloads of people saying that they haven't even watched the match today morning and base all of their idiotic assumptions on a fecking highlights or 'best skills' compilations for U21/23 teams. It's pure bullshit.
You have a weird obsession with Chong and Gomes. Nobody is saying they should take McTomminay’s place. They are not in competition. Chong and Gomes are not the only young players who have been advocated for. In recent years the likes of Axel, R. Williams, O’Connor have all been advocated to get a chance in the first team. These are not attacking or flair players. The simple common factor is that they are all excelling at youth level for us, in a way McTomminay did not. You are so set in your baseless argument that you are refusing to see the truth is far simpler than you want it to be.

If McTomminay never got a chance in the youth team, you, or anyone else on the caf would have no issue with it. This is because he hasn’t looked to be out more outstanding talents. Like it or not (which you obviously don’t), Chong and Gomes have looked amongst our better talents, as has O’Connor, Williams and Axel - the call for them to be involved is natural. You have conveniently not mentioned players like Bohui or Dearnley, who are attacking players in our academy who nobody has called to be played in the first team. Fans want the best young players to get a chance, and are less concerned about those who are not. But you are a conspiracy theorist of sorts it seems so you have found another, more ridiculous explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.