Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He shouldnt be wasting time of other much more talented players, he can´t pass the ball ffs, the first ability a midfielder whould have. Very strange, good timing for the lad and his efforts but it reminds me of Blackett situation a lot. And for instance put Garner in the team despite being less physical he posses much better understanding of the game so he will be as good defensively while three times better on the ball and 4 years younger. Really hope McKenna steps up in this case. I have nothing against the kid but we need to move from mediocrity asap, this is going nowhere

Roboc7

His physical presence and discipline mean he will get game time under Mourinho but I doubt he has any long term future here if he wants to play regularly. Also gives Mourinho added bonus of being able to bragging his critics about playing a youngster.

Mourinho sees him as someone who can do a job especially in his pragmatic and defensive football and sure he won’t let the team down.

Manager has bought another midfielder and given a new contract to Fellaini which means McTominay is well down the pecking order and underlined how highly he is actually rated.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He'll play himself out of the squad soon enough. Another game where he offered nothing. He just isn't any good and there is no shame in calling a spade a spade. He's got in due to a lack of CMs and the other u23s being even worse. We haven't had a proper u23s CM in a few years now. With the options of McTominay, Willock, Redmond etc. McTominay is easily the best of a bad bunch but he's still nowhere near good enough. With new signings and Hamilton and Garner getting closer to being ready for senior football McTominay will play himself out of the squad.

People want to see academy players but academy players with the highest level of talent, McTominay isn't that. People want to see the likes of Chong, Gomes, Axel, O'Connor etc. or in the past Adnan, Rashford etc. because they were/are top youth players who have shown potential to possibly be a good senior player. McTominay has never shown that. I want to see youth players in the first team, but the top ones, not just any old youth player. Just because I like seeing youth players in the first team doesn't mean I want to see shit like El Fitouri or Redmond.

JohnnyLaw

He'll play himself out of the squad soon enough. Another game where he offered nothing. He just isn't any good and there is no shame in calling a spade a spade. He's got in due to a lack of CMs and the other u23s being even worse. We haven't had a proper u23s CM in a few years now. With the options of McTominay, Willock, Redmond etc. McTominay is easily the best of a bad bunch but he's still nowhere near good enough. With new signings and Hamilton and Garner getting closer to being ready for senior football McTominay will play himself out of the squad.

People want to see academy players but academy players with the highest level of talent, McTominay isn't that. People want to see the likes of Chong, Gomes, Axel, O'Connor etc. or in the past Adnan, Rashford etc. because they were/are top youth players who have shown potential to possibly be a good senior player. McTominay has never shown that. I want to see youth players in the first team, but the top ones, not just any old youth player. Just because I like seeing youth players in the first team doesn't mean I want to see shit like El Fitouri or Redmond.
It's not nessecarily the most talented players who make it though. Lingard has been showered with abuse over the years being compared to 'more talented' players such as Adnan when they were both coming through but I don't think there's any discussion to be had over who's achieved more in their respective careers. Lingard has a couple of years to his advantage ofc but if we're frank Adnan hasn't developed much at all from the player he was 2-3 years ago.
Wilson, Pearson are other players who were hyped all through their journey up the youth teams only to come up empty when it reached crunch time.

I'm not overly bothered by McTominay, but he reminds me of Lingard in his attitude and fearlessness on the pitch and he's got a special quality in being both big and strong and quite agile and deft on the ball at the same time. I can see why the coach might find it worthwhile in trying to develop him, if he can improve his passing and positioning he could be a really good all-round midfielder for us.

limerickcitykid

It's not nessecarily the most talented players who make it though. Lingard has been showered with abuse over the years being compared to 'more talented' players such as Adnan when they were both coming through but I don't think there's any discussion to be had over who's achieved more in their respective careers. Lingard has a couple of years to his advantage ofc but if we're frank Adnan hasn't developed much at all from the player he was 2-3 years ago.
Wilson, Pearson are other players who were hyped all through their journey up the youth teams only to come up empty when it reached crunch time.

I'm not overly bothered by McTominay, but he reminds me of Lingard in his attitude and fearlessness on the pitch and he's got a special quality in being both big and strong and quite agile and deft on the ball at the same time. I can see why the coach might find it worthwhile in trying to develop him, if he can improve his passing and positioning he could be a really good all-round midfielder for us.
I've responded to this so many times but McTominay isn't comparable to Lingard at all. Lingard was a great youth player, not the superstar but he was right up there. Lingard was always rated highly. He regularly played ahead of his age group despite his size, was a youth international and making matchday squads at 18. He was always tipped to develop later in his career and was a top youth player. McTominay is a bang average youth player. Its not just who is the most talented but you have to be in the top bracket, which McTominay isn't.

I'm not sure your point? Highly rated youth players didn't make it? Yes, everyone knows that and I'm not sure anyone disputes that. People just like to see them given a chance but its lucky if 5% will make it. What you don't see though is average youth players making it at the highest level. That is the whole point, top youth talents have a hard time making it, bang average ones have no chance of ever being good enough.

Players with attitude and fearlessness are a dime a dozen, these are professionals, 99% of them have great attitude. His positioning is on the verge of being terrible and it's asking way too much to expect him to improve it to our standards.

JohnnyLaw

I've responded to this so many times but McTominay isn't comparable to Lingard at all. Lingard was a great youth player, not the superstar but he was right up there. Lingard was always rated highly. He regularly played ahead of his age group despite his size, was a youth international and making matchday squads at 18. He was always tipped to develop later in his career and was a top youth player. McTominay is a bang average youth player. Its not just who is the most talented but you have to be in the top bracket, which McTominay isn't.

I'm not sure your point? Highly rated youth players didn't make it? Yes, everyone knows that and I'm not sure anyone disputes that. People just like to see them given a chance but its lucky if 5% will make it. What you don't see though is average youth players making it at the highest level. That is the whole point, top youth talents have a hard time making it, bang average ones have no chance of ever being good enough.

Players with attitude and fearlessness are a dime a dozen, these are professionals, 99% of them have great attitude. His positioning is on the verge of being terrible and it's asking way too much to expect him to improve it to our standards.
Sorry to inconvinience you with the comparison, I don't have you on my follow list though so I don't know why you'd expect me to know that.. I think we can at least agree on that players emerge at different points in their careers and there are no rules in football without plenty of exceptions, just look at Vardy for example.

Comparisons aside though, the main thing with Scott for me is that he hasn't made a fool of himself when he's got the nod in the past. So while we may think he hasn't done enough to warrant the managers faith, until his performances start to really hurt the team I'll put my faith in the manager that the time invested in him will eventully bear fruit.

Last season he wasn't even in anyones way though as Pereira asked to go on loan and I don't think anyone was clamouring for Fellaini to get more chances. He's been highly praised by the manager but that's proven to mean absolutely feck all on several occasions during Mourinhos short tenure here, it's quite possible that he'll soon enough find himself on the backburner.

limerickcitykid

Sorry to inconvinience you with the comparison, I don't have you on my follow list though so I don't know why you'd expect me to know that.. I think we can at least agree on that players emerge at different points in their careers and there are no rules in football without plenty of exceptions, just look at Vardy for example.

Comparisons aside though, the main thing with Scott for me is that he hasn't made a fool of himself when he's got the nod in the past. So while we may think he hasn't done enough to warrant the managers faith, until his performances start to really hurt the team I'll put my faith in the manager that the time invested in him will eventully bear fruit.

Last season he wasn't even in anyones way though as Pereira asked to go on loan and I don't think anyone was clamouring for Fellaini to get more chances. He's been highly praised by the manager but that's proven to mean absolutely feck all on several occasions during Mourinhos short tenure here, it's quite possible that he'll soon enough find himself on the backburner.
Sorry I didn't expect you to know that I was just saying so many people keep making these comparison when its just wrong. Lingard taking time to develop doesn't translate to him being an average youth player because he was a very good one. Lingard has taken longer to develop than most due to his size but it has always been evident that he was highly rated and had the ability to potentially be good. Yes, of course players emerge at different points but you can't just play every average player with the hope they pull a Vardy.

Sure he didn't make a fool of himself but he never produced anything of note and he did hurt the team because he was a CM who rarely touched the ball and his positioning and lack of awareness resulted in us conceding. He hasn't shown one strong attribute that would make him stand out.

No he wasn't in anyones way through, like I said in my initial post, he was the best of a bad bunch to choose from. The likes of Willock or Redmond are nowhere near good enough either. I have no problem that McTominay got to play because there was no other choice. I'd have a problem if he is continued to favoured over better talents. But I don't think he will, I believe he'll soon play himself out of the squad and eventually out of the club.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s no more a United midfielder than Jack Cork or whoever. He’ll be at Bournemouth soon enough though, I’m confident of it. Jose won’t be here to protect him forever either.

AndyJ1985

Unfortunately he's another average player who has somehow found himself in the United first team. I'm all for giving young players a chance, but only if they're good enough for the level we aspire to be at, not simply giving youth a chance for the sake of it.

An Irish Red

He can break up play, which means he can do okay in games where we set up to defend, but that's about it. In the majority of games, where we are expected to attack, he's not good enough.

He'll end up at West Brom or the like.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He can break up play, which means he can do okay in games where we set up to defend, but that's about it. In the majority of games, where we are expected to attack, he's not good enough.

He'll end up at West Brom or the like.
Wouldn't shock me, he's fine for the most part but I do think he's a bit too limited to have a long term future at United. He has had some really good defensive performances for us, particularly against Chelsea/Liverpool, think he'd flourish in a defensive team with strict defensive duties. I'll be honest though and I might catch some flak for this but he's not really the player I want to see us bringing on if we're chasing a goal.

JoaquinJoaquin

Don't want to hammer on the lad as it is only pre-season, but I must say that having watched how well Pereira played last night it just shows how average McTominay actually is. He wouldn't of looked out of place playing for San Jose last night. I really hope we aren't in a position this season where he has to play so many games. Really needs a loan to the Championship where he can play every game as he is 22 this year.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's been very poor on this tour so far. His game is pretty limited anyway which doesn't help him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't like singling players out but he sticks out like a sore thumb with the ball at his feet. The midfield version of Smalling.
Should be a CB. Needs to learn quickly.

Zoo

I’m not sure what he offers really. I expected him to start kicking on but he’s not contributing anything.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Don't like singling players out but he sticks out like a sore thumb with the ball at his feet. The midfield version of Smalling.
Should be a CB. Needs to learn quickly.
yeah we should find him a position because clearly it seems Jose rates him and we know nothing

PoTMS

Should not play a single game this season. Not sure what he actually offers apart from his height.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shock horror McTominay looking out of his depth.

Bojan11

He’s another McNair. Will be playing in the championship if he’s lucky in a few years.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Abysmal with the ball, feck me.

The story Rio said about Keane getting upset because he passed the ball sideways from CB... can only imagine what Keane thinks about McTominay and Herrera being in our midfield. No wonder we don't create chances. We keep passing the ball sideways and backwards until one of the CBs or MFs launches a long ball to our "towering" strike pair of Mata and Sanchez.

I'm not being rude or anything but Gary Neville was right about him not being good enough to be a midfielder for Utd - he doesn't look after the ball well enough and his passing isn't good enough either.

Roboc7

Mctominay is basically a championship player but he is someone manager will turn to because he is big, works hard and doesn’t take risks. He will get games next season because we aren’t trying to play expansive football so his lack of ability on the ball wont concern Mourinho.

Canagel

He needs 5 seconds to decide what he wants to do with the ball. Painfully average midfielder and should be nowhere near the team.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Said it from last season but he’s exactly that type of player that isn’t good enough and never will be.

Championship level player.

Walters_19_MuFc

He needs 5 seconds to decide what he wants to do with the ball. Painfully average midfielder and should be nowhere near the team.
Can't help when you're in a team that lacks movement. It's something all of our players struggled with last season. This isn't me saying that McTominay is United quality and will go onto be a world beater under a manager who players fluid football. What I will say; however, is until we start seeing better movement and pass patterns from our players, then we won't see the best from our players.

edcunited1878

Jose respects the player because he is a yes man and did what was required of him when asked last year. Fair play to Scott but when the chips are on the table, he and Darmian are the last players who should see any meaningful time. Period.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Can't help when you're in a team that lacks movement. It's something all of our players struggled with last season. This isn't me saying that McTominay is United quality and will go onto be a world beater under a manager who players fluid football. What I will say; however, is until we start seeing better movement and pass patterns from our players, then we won't see the best from our players.
McT himself is part of the problem, hes too slow to react and make a move, hes never available for a pass like Pereira for instance, if he was a destroyer and had a good pass on him like Matic fair enough but his passing is absolutely abysmal and he gets stuck but barely is good positionally enough to be a DM, even if he was he shouldnt be near Manunited team when your passing abilities are on level with CB like Smalling

Prongsy

People who expect flair and creativity from him, I guess, are the types who watch an Erik Dier and think he should be more like Dembele lol. I mean sure. While we are at it, why not Ronaldinho, Kaka and all.

Though am so happy that we may use him at least early on in the season. Wish we didn't extend Fellaini's contract. Need McTominay, Pereira getting more game time. heck I'd rather Herrera, Fred and pogba were the only 3 who stood in front of McTominay and Pereira. sadly. Matic is also there and fellaini :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.