5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

What I dont get is that some people dont even want to give him a chance to develop. He clearly has a good mentality and a good base skill level. Where he goes from here who knows but he has something to offer us.

edcunited1878

How are people claiming that McTominany reminds them now of Fletch or Carrick? That boggles the fecking mind and again is a testament to revisionist history in here.

Scott was composed and focused. He did a job and stuck to it. It's not any different as he was under Jose. Just because he's done it under Ole it seems like he's shed in a "better" light.

Carrick was metronome as he kept the flow of the game ticking and ticking on a defined cadence. He's passing was always to keep the ball moving in hopes of making that next pass to the picture in his mind. There were so many times he would get one pass that seem normal, but really he set up the opposing players who showed the passing lane knowing the space and movement. He'd just hook a pass through the lines like it was nothing because he was spatially aware of himself, his teammates and current/future passing lanes (i.e. space). His mind was always ticking about the next phase, the next pass.

McTominay is no where near this level or Fletcher. With time, maybe but not right now. If anything, McTominay is just about a Darron Gibson level type player and would be good to reach Tom Cleverley level.

If McTominay continues to progress and improves to anything above Tom Cleverley, that would be an great achievement because that's functional and good footballer. You need those types of players in your team to win trophies.

RedCurry

Carrick was a good passer right from the moment we bought him. He came into his own once Scholes started to slow down. I don't see McTominay playing next to Scholes to explain away the lack of inventiveness.
Isn’t he? He’s playing a three man midfield with one of the world’s most creative midfielders. Pogba and Herrera are both meant to create while McTominay is predominantly played as holding midfielder. He is supposed to not over complicate it. Although I do agree that he needs to take much more creative responsibilty than he does at the moment.

criticalanalysis

He was very good yesterday. Ket the ball ticking continuously and won good number of battles

People criticising him for playing safe passes etc need to watch this video.

Look where he has the ball and where he recevies it from the defenders. It's in the half way point of our own half with a crowd of Liverpool players in front of him. They're spaced out in zonal positions, just waiting to press and capitalise on the receiving player's first touch. Anything other than an inch perfect pass to the receiver (that's assuming they're making the runs and has surrounding team mates to play off) would be a hospital ball.

Hence why he plays the ball wide a lot or square passes.

Absolutely baffling people expect McTominay to 'look up and pass forward'. Don't forget we had 30-something % of the possession. Sure someone like Pirlo could easily play those forward passes but in this game with our set up, he would have been annihilated just like Jorginho has been the last few months.

Yes he should and can improve but our tactic and set up to happily concede possession means we will never really get the type of midfield play that many and I, myself hope for.

I've said it in various player and OGS threads but whilst our tactic is very pragmatic and effective, to become a top team, we really need to learn how to press as a team, play out from the back and pass it under pressure.

Our defence has been brilliant but we are quite conservative with the line. Whenever the opposition has the ball (regardless of the opponent), it's still a fairly low block, which means, we're deeper in our half. That affects our midfield, which affects our attackers.

It's a systematic issue all around.

Alek M

Da manic one
He was shocking. Not moving enough to get the angle to get a pass. Not able to turn quickly to pass forward.

You have to move son. Create triangles, offer, receive, pass, offer receive pass .

Made it clear how badly we missed Matic.

I think he still has a future, maybe his youth got to his nerves. He looked very shaky. Maybe he needs some more confidence.

OldRed1

Just wondering about the age of the Fletcher everybody is going on about because if my memory serves me right as a 22yo every one on here was insulting him to hell and claiming he should be sold. SAF's love child according to this site. Give McTomminay a run in the team and he could become a very good player.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Amazing how everyone sees things differently. I didn't think he was great, but I thought that was the best we've seen of him yet. I think that is his right position in the #6 and with more game time he can only get better. If I'm going to criticize him, the biggest thing for me was that he was collecting the ball and then deciding what to do with it. He never thought ahead. Hence the touch, look up and around and then pass. Never a pass with his first touch and that can tend to slow things down. Mind you, Matic does the same thing. With that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him get more games so Matic doesn't play every single time he's available. And with more rotation in that position, perhaps McTominay will get better as well. Let's face it, he's barely played and we asked him to play in a key role against our biggest rival, and as a DM, he helped keep them off the score sheet. I say job well done and it can only get better...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just wondering about the age of the Fletcher everybody is going on about because if my memory serves me right as a 22yo every one on here was insulting him to hell and claiming he should be sold. SAF's love child according to this site. Give McTomminay a run in the team and he could become a very good player.
Fletcher was 19 when he was playing in the United first team if i'm not mistaken. Played many games as a RW too at a early age. At 21 played in a FA cup final where we dominated Arsenal and shoud've won by a cricket score but we ended up losing on pens. Fletcher was brilliant in that game against a very strong Arsenal team. Fletcher had done far more than McTominay at 22 that it's not even close.

quackattack

If Scott looked shaky vs Liverpool, then Matic looks shaky versus any opposition. He has had bad games, that's for sure, but this one was not one of them in my opinion. As some have mentioned he shielded the defense well enough, and while he didn't do a lot of forward runs and key passes forward he played his part in the system and the team as well as any (except Shaw who was exceptional).

RedDevil@84

What I dont get is that some people dont even want to give him a chance to develop. He clearly has a good mentality and a good base skill level. Where he goes from here who knows but he has something to offer us.
Some people are acting as if a player improving is just not possible. Not to mention that players who were lousy under Jose, suddenly look better. So there is no reason to believe Scott would become any worse.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
People here like to shit on academy players. Lingard is still an average player whereas Rashford was a championship talent months ago.

If someone like Declan Rice had put in a similar performance there'd been have calls to put in a 100m bid for him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
How are people claiming that McTominany reminds them now of Fletch or Carrick? That boggles the fecking mind and again is a testament to revisionist history in here.

Scott was composed and focused. He did a job and stuck to it. It's not any different as he was under Jose. Just because he's done it under Ole it seems like he's shed in a "better" light.

Carrick was metronome as he kept the flow of the game ticking and ticking on a defined cadence. He's passing was always to keep the ball moving in hopes of making that next pass to the picture in his mind. There were so many times he would get one pass that seem normal, but really he set up the opposing players who showed the passing lane knowing the space and movement. He'd just hook a pass through the lines like it was nothing because he was spatially aware of himself, his teammates and current/future passing lanes (i.e. space). His mind was always ticking about the next phase, the next pass.

McTominay is no where near this level or Fletcher. With time, maybe but not right now. If anything, McTominay is just about a Darron Gibson level type player and would be good to reach Tom Cleverley level.

If McTominay continues to progress and improves to anything above Tom Cleverley, that would be an great achievement because that's functional and good footballer. You need those types of players in your team to win trophies.
I think the comparison with Fletcher is more in the sense of both being Scottish midfielders coming through our academy while being criticised at first only to later maybe play a bigger part than first anticipated. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy now when Ole comes out with that:lol:
You are right, I think it has become a similar situation. People expect to see similar players to Scholes, Giggs and Beckham coming through the academy and struggle to see value beyond that. I can't remember if Fletcher was 19 or 23 but your point still stands, he was being slated before he proved himself and a few never warmed to him.

Ekeke

Disagree. I noticed a couple of times that he denied Liverpool midfielders to make their preferred pass. Thus, he shielded the defense well and forced them out wide where Shaw dominated Salah.
And I noticed in the first 20 minutes before Liverpool turned to poop that he was extremely slow to get into position and confront attackers in his area. One of those occasions a Liverpool player went past 2 players including McTominay and Ander felt he had to give away a freekick on the edge of the box. Iirc correctly that was shortly before he came off on 15-20 mins so may even have been a factor in that

After those 20 minutes and the injuries starting Liverpool only seemed to attack down the wings which was a reflief for us

Ekeke

His positioning seemed fine yesterday and he rarely got exposed. For an academy kid coming into CM in a Derby, at short notice, without many minutes recently, you'd be forgiven for expecting it to be a whole lot worse really.
It was paint by numbers while Liverpool looked decent in the first section of the game. Running back and forth somewhere near the right area and being slow to confront attacking players with the ball coming into that area. He didnt know the correct position so kept moving back and forth hoping he'd luck out on it

Ekeke

Carrick used to pick up extreme abuse from our fans for constant sideways and backward passes. He only started bossing games in his late 20s and early 30s.

McTominay isn't really a bad passer of the ball. He just plays it overly safe at times.
Only in his first season did he have any doubters on the caf because he was a bit timid compared to Scholes who did the heavy lifting. After that and the year or so we were linked with Hargreaves before signing him where people were saying he would be an upgrade, Carrick was accepted as a very important player for us.

McTominay isnt like Carrick and he isnt like Fletcher. Nor is he like anyone else people seem so desperate to make a comparison with.

At 18-19 Carrick was highly rated at West Ham, got his move to Spurs after that and we bought him because he was doing a very good job as a holding midfielder. It took a year to get settled and then he never really looked back at United.

Fletcher was highly rated as a teen coming through, he had an injury which delayed him a bit and then with the timing and him playing some games in right midfield he had the completely unfair theory that he was "the new Beckham" for some reason. Probably the same reason people are desperate to pretend McTominay is "the new Carrick" or "the new Fletcher".

Fletcher was playing on the right and it didnt really suit him, especially with that unfair comparison to Beckham because at the time he came through one of the things he certainly wasnt good at was crossing. And that was Beckham's trademark. As soon as we started using him in CM he did a lot better. He still had lots of doubters of course but he was good enough as a squad player straight away in his actual position.

McTominay wasn't one of our highly rated kids. He didnt have an injury that delayed his debut. He wasnt someone that the caf were talking about as a future first teamer before he played. He was just someone who Mourinho drafted into the fold because he has some of the qualities Mourinho liked at United. He's tall, he gets physical with players, he can do a basic job of passing the ball around.

Who was Mourinho's other favourite? Fellaini. If theres a comparison to be made with a former player, I'd say thats the direction McTominay is going. How Fellaini was playing CM and DM this season. His positioning wasnt great, his passing wasnt great but it had a better tempo than Matic at the time so we attacked faster but the main thing that Fellaini brought to the team was that he would help win the ball in the air in front of the backline. Of course Chris Smalling didnt need help with that, but I guess it freed him up to deal with flick ons etc. Lindelof did need help with that at the time.

The physical and aerial battles, McTominay does help us with. Was Fellaini, even in his best form this season a good starting DM? No. He just had some assets that helped us while we had a CB afraid of heading the ball. But now hes over that it seems.

Maybe McTominay will be more useful in games where Bailly is starting rather than Lindelof at this point

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Agreed. I want the lad to do well, but it seems every time an academy graduate delivers anything above passable vs a big team people get a bit carried away. Hes a big lad with seemingly a very good engine, so if he can improve his technique and tactical awareness he can become useful, but i honestly think hes pretty far from Fletcher level right now and nowhere near what Carrick was in his prime.

With all the injures we have now, i expect Scott to play a fair couple of games so lets see how he does. Hopefully he can turn into a capable player

RedPnutz

I'm asking him to make a forward pass. How about that? Carrick did it. Matic does it. Scott needs to add some passing skills to his locker if he wants to make it at this level.
You mean he has never made a single forward pass in any games he's played so far??

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Only in his first season did he have any doubters on the caf because he was a bit timid compared to Scholes who did the heavy lifting. After that and the year or so we were linked with Hargreaves before signing him where people were saying he would be an upgrade, Carrick was accepted as a very important player for us.

McTominay isnt like Carrick and he isnt like Fletcher. Nor is he like anyone else people seem so desperate to make a comparison with.

At 18-19 Carrick was highly rated at West Ham, got his move to Spurs after that and we bought him because he was doing a very good job as a holding midfielder. It took a year to get settled and then he never really looked back at United.

Fletcher was highly rated as a teen coming through, he had an injury which delayed him a bit and then with the timing and him playing some games in right midfield he had the completely unfair theory that he was "the new Beckham" for some reason. Probably the same reason people are desperate to pretend McTominay is "the new Carrick" or "the new Fletcher".

Fletcher was playing on the right and it didnt really suit him, especially with that unfair comparison to Beckham because at the time he came through one of the things he certainly wasnt good at was crossing. And that was Beckham's trademark. As soon as we started using him in CM he did a lot better. He still had lots of doubters of course but he was good enough as a squad player straight away in his actual position.

McTominay wasn't one of our highly rated kids. He didnt have an injury that delayed his debut. He wasnt someone that the caf were talking about as a future first teamer before he played. He was just someone who Mourinho drafted into the fold because he has some of the qualities Mourinho liked at United. He's tall, he gets physical with players, he can do a basic job of passing the ball around.

Who was Mourinho's other favourite? Fellaini. If theres a comparison to be made with a former player, I'd say thats the direction McTominay is going. How Fellaini was playing CM and DM this season. His positioning wasnt great, his passing wasnt great but it had a better tempo than Matic at the time so we attacked faster but the main thing that Fellaini brought to the team was that he would help win the ball in the air in front of the backline. Of course Chris Smalling didnt need help with that, but I guess it freed him up to deal with flick ons etc. Lindelof did need help with that at the time.

The physical and aerial battles, McTominay does help us with. Was Fellaini, even in his best form this season a good starting DM? No. He just had some assets that helped us while we had a CB afraid of heading the ball. But now hes over that it seems.

Maybe McTominay will be more useful in games where Bailly is starting rather than Lindelof at this point
To call Fletcher good enough in his actual position when he first came in is a stretch. He had a few decent performances but was mostly awful. Constantly caught on the ball while turning ponderously and mostly passing backwards. Thankfully that turned out to be almost entirely down to lack of confidence and also needing to fill out a bit.

Whilst I haven't rated McTominay, he did very well and played with real fight against Liverpool. More of that please.

Ekeke

To call Fletcher good enough in his actual position when he first came in is a stretch. He had a few decent performances but was mostly awful. Constantly caught on the ball while turning ponderously and mostly passing backwards. Thankfully that turned out to be almost entirely down to lack of confidence and also needing to fill out a bit.

Whilst I haven't rated McTominay, he did very well and played with real fight against Liverpool. More of that please.
No, he wasnt. He was "awful" on the right of midfield. He was absolutely fine as a squad player as soon as he played in CM. You only joined in 2014 so you won't remember what the caf was saying at the time. He got a lot of flack on the right, but when he started playing centrally he got some respect.

Alemar

If anything, McTominay is just about a Darron Gibson level type player and would be good to reach Tom Cleverley level.
Gibson had a very nice long shot in him, which McTominay doesn't have. But he is better then Darron defensively

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No, he wasnt. He was "awful" on the right of midfield. He was absolutely fine as a squad player as soon as he played in CM. You only joined in 2014 so you won't remember what the caf was saying at the time. He got a lot of flack on the right, but when he started playing centrally he got some respect.
Well I'm glad that what the caf was saying at the time is the only possible barometer of whether he was awful or not. I remember "the Fletcher turn" very well thanks, and regardless of why his confidence was as low as it was (playing on the right plus dickhead fans), he was pretty shit most of the time in CM until he was about 22 when it started to click for him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, Fletcher got a feck ton of abuse when he was used on the right. Like a hideous amount. :lol:

tomaldinho1

Yeah, Fletcher got a feck ton of abuse when he was used on the right. Like a hideous amount. :lol:
I remember Carrick getting a lot of abuse as well, I feel his stock rose much later than it should have done. There was a time when he was prone to losing the ball from any type of press which was soon ironed out.
With McT I personally don't see it, I think he's a fine squad player but if he develops and proves me wrong I'll be a happy chappie.

Revan

Assumptionman
Thought that he was just okayish against Liverpool. Did well defending, contributed nought in spreading the ball. Lindelof and Smalling were passing the ball to each other cause there was no option in midfield, with both him and Pereira not dropping deep to get the ball like Matic (and to a lesser degree Herrera) do all the time.

I haven't seen much from him to get convinced that he is a player that can have a bright future here.

RedCurry

@Ekeke and the rest. You need to realize the context of my comment. I was replying to a poster who asked me if I can think of any midfielder that improved on his safe passing as they got more experience. Carrick was an example of that. Carrick at West Ham and Spurs was hardly even in the same league as Carrick in the last 5-6 years of his career.

McTominay is never going to play like Carrick. He doesn't need to. Carrick was never going to be Roy Keane and that was fine. Important thing is that midfield requires balance of physicality, commitment and creativity. But a common factor that you want in all your midfielders is that they can all pass the ball quick and accurately. I am arguing that passing is a technique that improves with age and experience.

Comparisons with Fellaini are lazy. McTominay is technically a better player. He might still not be good enough for us and definitely needs to get better than his current level.

He's an academy player and we are right in giving him a chance to gain experience and improve. In worst case, we can sell him and make a decent fee.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
People here like to shit on academy players. Lingard is still an average player whereas Rashford was a championship talent months ago.

If someone like Declan Rice had put in a similar performance there'd been have calls to put in a 100m bid for him.

Couldn’t agree more. I think Scott needs to invent his own dance before he’ll be accepted by some of the experts here.

Velvet Revolver

This! not long before Gomes and Chong are also championship level comments.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's either United first team level or championship level. Nothing in between on caf
Right now on current ability, he is a Championship player. How is that an unfair statement? He can't get in Scotland's team.

He may become a good PL player in the future, but would be stand out in the Championship the way Neves did last season where it's abundantly clear he's playing in a league beneath him? I very much doubt it.

el3mel

Impressive performance. Seems he has his uses after all. Slotted perfectly in Matic's role and did it perfectly well.

Ekeke

Some nice passes forward and some good composure at times on the ball.

Without the ball he was very ineffective with his only tackle and clearance coming right at the end of the match. Other than that he hadnt won the ball all game, other than in the air where he once again contributed with 4 headers. Luckily once again Pogba was our main ball winner and our defense survived without protection.

Toad

Good game for him. Happy to see his consistency over his last couple of performances. Will take some time to get him where he needs to be though I recon.

Trizy

another solid display in a difficult game from the Championship player
He is very average to be fair, one good game doesn't really change that.

Having said that he just played his best game for us today. Great strength, smarting passing (even if most of it was backwards in the first half), won every header and played some lovely Carrick passes up front. Solid 8.5/10 from the young man today.

Carrick pass = 20-30 yard driving forward pass with perfect accuracy to the forwards feet.

mewnew11

Sensational today. In the second half he was threading balls between the lines . Wonderful today. My man of the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.