5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

I thought he was brilliant last night at the end of the match, but after watching this, it actually seems better. Would love to see him next to Herrera and Pogba, releases the ball much faster than Matic.

NoPace

The 2nd half was the first time I thought maybe he can make it here as the backup to Matic next year and then to whoever replaces Matic in 2020, since I think we'll wait a year and focus on RB, RW, CB and maybe even replacing Fred as the Pogba/Herrera backup before turning Matic into a backup.

I don't think he's a great ball winner but if he can pass between the lines like that, with his size that's a decent backup 6 right there considering he's homegrown and young and presumably happy to start 10-15 times a season.

Posh Red

So many people on here were slagging him off pre-Solksjaer. Just goes to show.
I wasn’t a big fan I wont lie. But last game I feel like I saw a new side to him I didn’t know existed. I didn’t think he was capable of the forward passes he was pulling off and will hold my hands up and say I completely misjudged him. The way he was firing passes into the forwards was eerily Carrickesque at times. I think we need to seen some more of him now to get a better idea of his range of passing but some very promising signs against Palace.

ForestRGoinUp

It’s all happened so quickly. In the blink of an eye on RedCafe, The Glazers and Eddy have all the confirmation they need that midfield reinforcements won’t be necessary.

So we go in with the same guys next year and come December, Jan, Feb everyone on here is back to saying our midfield isn’t good enough to challenge at the top. When it’s something we’ve known all along. Good young lad from the academy and all that though...

meninred

I think the Fletcher comparisons are a mistake, to me it seems just because he's blond and Scottish; he's actually a very different type of midfielder. Did well today though, and showed there's value in keeping him around as a backup for Matic when needed.
It is Ole himself that compared him with Fletcher. He said he is our Darren Fletcher.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's so strong. Held a couple Palace players off at ease. Also loved his passing in between the lines. Good game and has stepped up in Matic's absence.

Posh Red

I think the Fletcher comparisons are a mistake, to me it seems just because he's blond and Scottish; he's actually a very different type of midfielder. Did well today though, and showed there's value in keeping him around as a backup for Matic when needed.
Fully agree. He’s more of a Matic, with Fletcher being more similar to Herrera (comparing them to our current squad that is)

Loublaze

ATLien
He'd be valued 40m had he been a Wolves player.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves, in the grand scheme of things he hasn't done much. He needs more consistent performances like that. I haven't seen him play that well since Liverpool at home last season.

SAFMUTD

I have to say it, I didn’t really liked him but lately he has showned improvement, he’s far away from starting quality but he is putting some solid performances as an squad player I hope he keeps improving and earn a place in the starting XI. I think his best position is defensive midfielder.

haram

I don’t agree that he was good. I think he was poor, or at best decent. I did think that he can improve enough to be consistently decent though, which will make him a good squad option. He passed the ball backwards repeatedly, although he started playing it through the lines in the last 20 mins which was nice. He was also poor under pressure, and typically ended up on the floor or one time, just fell apart and kicked it out of play because someone was near him.

Again, I do think he will get better, as much of what I think he did wrong yesterday was down to nerves I believe. That said, that wasn’t a good performance to me, and I was missing Matic.
How on earth can anyone say he was poor?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Likeable enough and can't criticise his effort, but I still don't see anything distinctive about him.

At best he's a decent presence in midfield.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I was quite pleased for him considering that he was a Championship player in the eyes of most of us here. He played like a Jose Matic at Selhurst. Simple but kept the ball circulating. At 22 I don't expect much more than this.
With more matches and experience, the game will slow down for him and then I suspect we will see a lot more from him. The last three managers all see something in him.

AgentP

My belief that McTominay might make it here grew when I saw his goal against the Juventus youth team. I didn't know that he had that in his locker. Happy to see him prove himself in the first team now.

AkaAkuma

I think the Fletcher comparison by Ole is more how he sees him performing a squad role, taking a number of roles when needed, rather than his best position.

SoCross

That video...he seemed so Carrick-esque with those passes. Good showing, he's adding to his game.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Is that Lindelof urging Smalling to play the ball forward than sideways/backwards around the 58-60 sec mark :lol::lol::lol:
Embarrassing that a 30 year old CB has to be told this at this level.
EDIT - Looks like it might be directed at Fred... dear me.
This seems to be the longer version. You might be right that he was talking to Fred, but looking at Smalling. But he was pretty animated with his hands.
And yes, it is nice that he is more vocal now.
Its Fred... You can even see Solskjaer screaming for him to move forward. It doesn't make sense for Fred to move that deep when Lindelof is standing right besides him. That right there is evidence for those wondering why Fred doesn't play much. He probably struggles to make the right decisions like that in training, so Ole wont trust him yet. The opposite of McTominaytor.
People in r/reddevils call him the Mctominaytor.
Thanks, I'm calling him that from now on!:lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
My belief that McTominay might make it here grew when I saw his goal against the Juventus youth team. I didn't know that he had that in his locker. Happy to see him prove himself in the first team now.
Same. Great goal.

Sterling Archer

This was made really simple for me. Sir Alex told Mourinho he should play the kid more. That's all I needed to know.

Didn't require watching hours of the old youth team footage or other people's analyses on the YouTube.

Based Adnan

Imagine saying at the start of the season that you'd be going into a knockout game vs PSG with McTominay being the midfielder you're worried about the least.

Water Melon

You can still see that Scott is trying to find his feet. When passing through the lines, the weight of his passes is bit off, and it takes some skill to control the ball while receiving a pass from McTominay. Nevertheles, it is clear he is finding his feet well. Improving his passing, off the ball movement, shielding the ball well while trying to escape pressing, growing in confidence. Credit to the lad, may he get better and better.

cathari

Should be given a new number after this season, and what do you know, Darren's old number, 24, is available..

Bojan11

I wanna know his passing stats in terms of how many times he passed forward.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not a good game by him. I just don't trust him either offensively or defensively.
Yeah, he doesn't offer much on the ball and I don't think he wins it back much either. Players beat him too easily. I remember Smalling going mental at him today.

Devil may care

After his performance against Palace I expected better from him today, but his use of the ball was poor and he looked like he was losing track of things positionally in the midfield battle.

Ekeke

Took a nasty blow, did a little bit better with his ball winning today, but nowhere near the same level of passing as against Palace

Ekeke

Yeah, he doesn't offer much on the ball and I don't think he wins it back much either. Players beat him too easily. I remember Smalling going mental at him today.
Yeah cuz Yoshida made a run in behind him from a cross and Smalling had to spot the danger and cover him

Status
Not open for further replies.