Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You could see this last season. Unfortunately, it was Jose who brought him into the team which is why many criticised him. Looks class.

Shinjch

He was brilliant last night. Absolutely chuffed for him. Not only did he put himself about and help nullify them through the middle, but he was composed on the ball when he had it.

Jacko21

BTW I'm in awe of his composure. It's incredible how calm he seems to be. Nothing fazes him at all.
Personally, I've always thought it to be one of the reasons why United's academy is so successful - they give the players the kind of education that sees them capable of holding their own when their opportunity arises. I can't remember who, but there was an opposition manager who essentially said 'you know what you're getting' when you sign United academy graduates on loan.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Class. Love the guy and how he’s stepped up majorly since Matic has been out.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Personally, I've always thought it to be one of the reasons why United's academy is so successful - they give the players the kind of education that sees them capable of holding their own when their opportunity arises. I can't remember who, but there was an opposition manager who essentially said 'you know what you're getting' when you sign United academy graduates on loan.
I think it was in that Sunderland Netflix documentary.

RB7N

Think the Sunderland manager said somethink like that in «Sunderland ‘Till I Die» when they signed Ashley Fletcher.

wythyred

What a performance - didn't think he had it in him to play at that elite level in that way.

He is slowly becoming a favourite of mine !..

Love the name Mcterminator also who ever came up with that :keano:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is the sort of commitment we need in the team. If we had 11 lads who all care as much as this, (I believe we did last night) we will go far.
Yeah, ManUtd always had good squad players from academy during our successful years. Players like McTominay will add lot of the squad. Like Ole said in post match (Liverpool) these academy kids know what it is to play for the club, especially in big games.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, ManUtd always had good squad players from academy during our successful years. Players like McTominay will add lot of the squad. Like Ole said in post match (Liverpool) these academy kids know what it is to play for the club, especially in big games.
Yep, I feel that's maybe where we've gone wrong in recent years. We've signed big name players that come here just for the money, but don't REALLY want to play for us. Di Maria is the prime example of that really.

We've always been at our best with a mix of youth/grafters with a few stars to add that touch of class when needed.

SSSSnake

Proud of him! He has no given right to be playing at that level. United don't get enough credit for bringing through youngsters.

Lowkey

Outstanding performance yesterday. Has a MASSIVE engine. Was running nonstop for 90 minutes. Genuine competition for Matic now which is what we need. Keep it up

sugar_kane

A towering performance from him yesterday, and a continuation of the steep improvement he's made in the last few weeks.

I've never rated him under Mourinho seeing him as a very safe, boring player who slowed us down and was a sideways passing merchant. I also was a bit irked by our decision to extend his contract despite him clearly not being at the right level.

I'm eating my words now, his full potential is unclear but if he is capable of regularly delivering the kind of fiery performance of last night I'm very happy for him to be a part of Ole's squad.

yfoFC

I feel the young ones are judged too harshly on here (Scott and Andreas), any slip up is magnified and pointed as a reason they are not good enough for this level.

Today he didn't have a great game especially his positioning but even Herrera and Matic have had bad days, I still believe he can grow into the Matic role given time.

Andreas is another who's judged to a ridiculous standard as I constantly see Matic being dispossed 3 times each match under Ole but come here to read how he's had a terrific performance.
I've been a supporter of his and the other stand-in midfielders (Andreas and Fred) and I'm glad to be vindicated.

I truly believe he's our matic replacement and I hope he goes on to do that. (Still a season or so away as Matic is still contributing now)

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Was absolutely immense last night against a top midfield. Not remotely overawed by the occasion.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Was absolutely immense last night against a top midfield. Not remotely overawed by the occasion.
Spot on.
But take a look back at some of the posts only a few months ago. He was being vilified, criticised and belittled. And the reason why. He was being played out of position in the CB role. His critism was awful.

I really do wish that some supporters would give our young players time to settle in the team while they are still learning their trade.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I've been a supporter of his and the other stand-in midfielders (Andreas and Fred) and I'm glad to be vindicated.

I truly believe he's our matic replacement and I hope he goes on to do that. (Still a season or so away as Matic is still contributing now)
Love McTominay, but does he really have to be a Matic replacement? If he can become a first team regular that would be great, but there will always be room for squad players too.

I feel the debate about him is so polarized. He has already proven that he can do a great job for us as a squad player so lets put the «he is Championship-level»-discussion to bed (I hope those promoting the most ugly comments after the Reading-game feel as stupid as they should). But maybe we can be a bit patient with him and not build to high expectations either? Lets not forget there is a middleground.

Zlatattack

Love McTominay, but does he really have to be a Matic replacement? If he can become a first team regular that would be great, but there will always be room for squad players too.

I feel the debate about him is so polarized. He has already proven that he can do a great job for us as a squad player so lets put the «he is Championship-level»-discussion to bed (I hope those promoting the most ugly comments after the Reading-game feel as stupid as they should). But maybe we can be a bit patient with him and not build to high expectations either? Lets not forget there is a middleground.
I agree. He's a very young player and will have plenty of good and bad games for us. Lets give him a season or two and he'll settle into the player he's meant to be.

yfoFC

Love McTominay, but does he really have to be a Matic replacement?If he can become a first team regular that would be great, but there will always be room for squad players too.

He doesn't have to be and I quite like him as a squad player for now.

Going on to the future though, he can't play the Pogba or Herrera role and has done well in the Matic role. Coincidentally, Matic is getting old so naturally I would love him to be his replacement.

If that doesn't work out though then an academy recruit is always welcome as a squad player, no pressure on him to definitely replace Matic but I personally would love that.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He doesn't have to be and I quite like him as a squad player for now.

Going on to the future though, he can't play the Pogba or Herrera role and has done well in the Matic role. Coincidentally, Matic is getting old so naturally I would love him to be his replacement.

If that doesn't work out though then an academy recruit is always welcome as a squad player, no pressure on him to definitely replace Matic but I personally would love that.
Me too! But I’m not sure he will not be able to do the «Herrera role» long term. He just seems so damn sensible. It is almost annoying. I’m sure he got more in his locker than he has shown so far. Its just that his task for most of the time has been restricted so far.

He does what the coach have told him to and do not increase the risk in his game to try to impress. I think a few players could learn a lot from him in that aspect.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Didn't give Verrati a second on the ball, was so impressive how he was closed down but still managed to close down other players, so it's no wonder the PSG were desperate for him to get booked. Verrati will be having nightmares for a while more.

Sylar

Remember when he was played at CB and then trashed as not good enough even for the Championship.

To go to Paris in that situation, and pull out a performance like that shows courage. Hes having a good run of games and expecting him to start on the weekend too. Im sure he will make a mistake (as it happens to all players), so hopefully people dont use that as a judgment on him and instead remember the string of good performances hes provided in tough matches.

yfoFC

Me too! But I’m not sure he will not be able to do the «Herrera role» long term. He just seems so damn sensible. It is almost annoying. I’m sure he got more in his locker than he has shown so far. Its just that his task for most of the time has been restricted so far.

He does what the coach have told him to and do not increase the risk in his game to try to impress. I think a few players could learn a lot from him in that aspect.

You may be right though, I heard he started out as a striker so he should be comfortable further up the pitch.

Not the most exciting player but I am excited to see how he develops from here..

RedCurry

Exactly the type of performance you'd expect from Darren Fletcher in a game of that magnitude.

ash_86

HE's completely turned me around. Now when i watch him fairly, his range of passing is superb. He also covers the most distance in many of the games.

Jib

His passing is average. But he's a very good workhorse.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I don't rate him, but he stood up and was counted like a seasoned veteran last night - excellent performance.
How can you not rate him after that game? If he becomes as good as Fletcher was for us would that not be good enough for you? Maybe if we called him McTominho? Would that help?

Ekeke

HE's completely turned me around. Now when i watch him fairly, his range of passing is superb. He also covers the most distance in many of the games.

Not surprised tbh, he never stops moving. Even when he picks up a decent position in front of the defense he doesn't seem to know when to hold his position, so he runs back and forth across an area instead

podurban2

Engine? Check
Decent passing? Check
Physical attributes? Check
Mentality? Check
Football brain? Check

The list goes on for me. Homegrown, big-game player etc. Sure he lacks in speed, technical ability and Pirlo-esque passing skill. But so do most that play in his position. He has a future here, or so I hope at least.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Think Matic will still get his place back when he's back and fit, but I wonder if McTominay performances on this little run make the club rethink transfer priorities over the summer. He's looked more than capable.
Don't think either McT or Matic are really suited to be the deepest holding midfielder. McT especially seems to be becoming a ball winning midfielder who wants to chase and harry the opposition, like Herrera rather than Carrick. That would still be my #1 target position to buy in the summer: someone to hold and screen the defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.