5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barack O'Bama

He’s just a really ordinary player who can pass the ball from a to b without doing anything at all that makes you believe he’s good enough to start or even make the bench for a team like United. Nowhere near Fletcher and not as good as Gibson who had a cracking shot at times. Have seen nothing from McTominay as a goal threat so far either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbie Boy

I don't see any difference between OShea and McTomminay in terms of quality while they both were 21-22.
I have never even considered that OShea would be a main player, starter for United. When Fletcher just started to play on the right, that was around a time he was 21 as well, he also looked miles from what people expected from United player.
O’Shea was highly rated as a youngster and was far better than McT at the same age. Scott could only dream of a career like O’Shea had.

Vilev

O’Shea forced his way into our team on merit, and played every game. He was picked for games against Real Madrid, Arsenal away (when they were our main rivals), and was most definitely expected to be a long-term regular.
He was shifted all over the pitch, right back, left back, center back, DM.
So clearly he was a versatile player that Fergie plugged holes with more than he was a starter.
And Fletcher was 19 when he first played, and was MOTM against Basel I believe on his debut at OT.
So what? Basel is hardly a Real. Fletcher was very average for quite some time, before he had really great season sometime around 2010. And for a young talent you make out to be, he surely never really played a full season a starter for United.

Vilev

O’Shea was highly rated as a youngster and was far better than McT at the same age. Scott could only dream of a career like O’Shea had.
I don't think OShea was anything special when he was 21 or further down the line, can understand why you do. Still he was an extremely useful player and had a lot of matches when he was very good. I personally love him, along with P Neville and Fletch, and Park.
My point that McTominay can become something like that for us.

Bojan11

He was shifted all over the pitch, right back, left back, center back, DM.
So clearly he was a versatile player that Fergie plugged holes with more than he was a starter.
So what? Basel is hardly a Real. Fletcher was very average for quite some time, before he had really great season sometime around 2010. And for a young talent you make out to be, he surely never really played a full season a starter for United.
Fletcher was shifted on the right side whenever he played and people kept making daft comparisons with Beckham for some reason because he wasn’t lightning quick and playing on the right.

So fans weren’t impressed when he broke in and was played on the right when his crossing was crap and we looked better with Ronaldo in the team.

Also when Fletcher was 21 he made a great man of the match performance against Chelsea. Where as Mctominay has done nothing close to that. Only reason Jose likes him is his height. He’s just another player who like playing the easy option and it’s why we are heading into mediocrity because our fans start to applaud these sort of players.

Loublaze

ATLien
Fletcher was shifted on the right side whenever he played and people kept making daft comparisons with Beckham for some reason because he wasn’t lightning quick and playing on the right.

So fans weren’t impressed when he broke in and was played on the right when his crossing was crap and we looked better with Ronaldo in the team.

Also when Fletcher was 21 he made a great man of the match performance against Chelsea. Where as Mctominay has done nothing close to that. Only reason Jose likes him is his height. He’s just another player who like playing the easy option and it’s why we are heading into mediocrity because our fans start to applaud these sort of players.
To be fair to McTominay he was absolutely brilliant against Liverpool at OT in March when we won 2-1 and he was also very good against Chelsea before that in February when we won by the same score. The boy broke up play very well in both matches and showed a lot of composure on the ball. He's a bit of a big game player with more tricks up his sleeve than he's shown but the jury is still out for me.

Last edited:

Name Changed

weso26
I don't see any difference between OShea and McTomminay in terms of quality while they both were 21-22.
I have never even considered that OShea would be a main player, starter for United. When Fletcher just started to play on the right, that was around a time he was 21 as well, he also looked miles from what people expected from United player.
Both of those players were far better and went on to have great careers.

I'd like to be wrong but I cannot see McTominay being anywhere close to that level. The only reason he is anywhere near that team is because he is 6'4.

I think he won't last long after Mourinho.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Apart from looking like the most average footballer ever, what are some people clinging onto? Some are saying to give him time to mature into this player of some sort. What qualities or talents does he show glimpses of that makes you think he'll be anything but a Cleverly?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
To be fair to McTominay he was absolutely brilliant against Liverpool at OT in March when we won 2-1 and he was also very good against Chelsea before that in February when we won by the same score. The boy broke up play very well in both matches and showed a lot of composure on the ball. He's a bit of a big game player with more tricks up his sleeve than he's shown but the jury is still out for me.
Except he wasn't very good in those games. He barely touched the ball against Chelsea, he only made one tackle and he was personally at fault for the goal because of his complete lack of awareness. In what world is that a very good performance? Any other player is lambasted for his performances.

limerickcitykid

It's like McTominay being good at nothing must mean he is the next Carrick and just no one understands him.

Kidders

The comparisons with O'Shea, Fletcher etc are interesting but they are from different era's, remember you could tackle someone 20 years ago, today it's about technique, skill and stamina, McTominays first touch is not great, he's not quick, not very skillfull, infact I see him as the product of the modern day youth/academy system, keep the ball, don't take risks, hold your position etc.......basically a football robot.
Certainly not United quality.

Loublaze

ATLien
Except he wasn't very good in those games. He barely touched the ball against Chelsea, he only made one tackle and he was personally at fault for the goal because of his complete lack of awareness. In what world is that a very good performance? Any other player is lambasted for his performances.
He was very good in both games, especially the Liverpool one. You're in a minority if you think otherwise. Just look at this performance thread from last season during those two games. Even his harshest critics (and i've been one myself) thought he stood out. Forget the stats.

MadMike

The comparisons with O'Shea, Fletcher etc are interesting but they are from different era's, remember you could tackle someone 20 years ago, today it's about technique, skill and stamina, McTominays first touch is not great, he's not quick, not very skillfull, infact I see him as the product of the modern day youth/academy system, keep the ball, don't take risks, hold your position etc.......basically a football robot.
Certainly not United quality.
I mean it's not like the same academy produced players like Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, Rashford and Januzaj recently who fit no one of those descriptions.

Vilev

Both of those players were far better and went on to have great careers.
Okay. Then answer me this, would anyone of them have even a fraction of success they had if they would not been at United? They would have been exactly the same players, just came graduates of another club's academy. And would have United consider buying them?
Because for me, it's a definite no/no. I mean i love the guys, but if they were not here, if they were not our home-grown players, both of them would not have better career than an average PL player.

Kag

Okay. Then answer me this, would anyone of them have even a fraction of success they had if they would not been at United? They would have been exactly the same players, just came graduates of another club's academy. And would have United consider buying them?
Because for me, it's a definite no/no. I mean i love the guys, but if they were not here, if they were not our home-grown players, both of them would not have better career than an average PL player.
You're doing Fletcher a disservice. He was a very good teenager by any standard. Would have made his debut a lot earlier than he did it not for injury, too. He turned into a bloody good player as well. One capable of turning up to just about every big stadium in Europe and put in man of the match performances.

McTominay will do well to have half the career Fletcher has had.

Vilev

You're doing Fletcher a disservice. He was a very good teenager by any standard.
So you think United would have bought him for 15-20m when he was 19 or 20?
Sorry i don't believe it. I also remember quite a lot of people calling for him to leave when he was closer to 22-23, saying he bring nothing to the team. And is only here because he is academy graduate. But we should buy somebody better.

limerickcitykid

He was very good in both games, especially the Liverpool one. You're in a minority if you think otherwise. Just look at this performance thread from last season during those two games. Even his harshest critics (and i've been one myself) thought he stood out. Forget the stats.
Forget the stats so you can just make stuff up? Fact is he barely touched the ball, did nothing in attack, only made one tackle and was at fault for conceding a goal. Not a very good game at all.

There are plenty of criticism in his performance thread. And the fact that there are posts saying not counting the first half and him being completely at fault for the goal he was pretty good. Because, yes completely forgetting 45 minutes of the game and the goal we conceded because of him makes perfect sense. Not a single other player in our team would receive praise for that. He was absolute dogshit in the first half and bang average in the second.

Kidders

I mean it's not like the same academy produced players like Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, Rashford and Januzaj recently who fit no one of those descriptions.
There is always exceptions of course but Pogba had already started his development, Pereira has had 2 years in Spain to complete his, Rashford is still developing, Januzaj is a classic example of failure, show some flair and imagination and not enough work rate and your out ! I would say Lingard is a positive product of our system, but even so he sticks to the basics, he is a coaches dream I should imagine and the only one from that group along with Rashford that Jose seems comfortable with.

Loublaze

ATLien
Forget the stats so you can just make stuff up? Fact is he barely touched the ball, did nothing in attack, only made one tackle and was at fault for conceding a goal. Not a very good game at all.

There are plenty of criticism in his performance thread. And the fact that there are posts saying not counting the first half and him being completely at fault for the goal he was pretty good. Because, yes completely forgetting 45 minutes of the game and the goal we conceded because of him makes perfect sense. Not a single other player in our team would receive praise for that. He was absolute dogshit in the first half and bang average in the second.
He was at fault for their goal but that's not the story of his entire game. He won over a few posters that day and he generally got more praise than criticism. In the second half he was very influential and he kept Hazard quiet. Against Liverpool he was massive. Here are a few examples:

I have been mate, I wrote him off as a nothing player too early I also feel like he has some strength similar to Matic, he doesn't offer much going forward but what he showed today is potential to do that as well with his passing, especially the pass to Lukaku near the end. Look forward to seeing more of him and I also liked that he go in the Chelsea players faces when the confrontation happened. @Chrissypop in the matchday thread when he/she was asked if they were a converted doubter

He lost his man for their goal but aside from that I thought it was a superb performance. And also Pogba played well with his extra assistance in midfield... we really took over that area of the game in the 2nd half, and when was the last time we could say that...

First half ok, second half really good. I am very impressed by this young man, think he can develop into a really good player.

He grew heavily into the game as it went on. I thought the game maybe a bit too much for him but great second half.

He was MoM for me but Lukaku edged it. I don’t know what game you were watching pal :houllier:

I thought he did well. Just needs to keep working like everyone else. Proud of the lad, and don't expect anything spectacular from him.
He's no nonsense and does the best with his ability at this stage of his development. Have no complaints whatsoever.

Maybe he did a mistake or two , but as a whole he had a great match and I think we have a new gem here

I slated him after Huddersfield but today was huge controlled performance of Hazard.

When you consider where he's came from (i.e. out of nowhere) he was bloody good today and personally my MOTM for that reason

There are over four pages of posts like this after the Chelsea game from page 50 onwards. More praise than criticism. You can see it yourself

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/scott-mctominay-2017-18-performances.430697/page-50

Last edited:

Ekeke

Apart from looking like the most average footballer ever, what are some people clinging onto? Some are saying to give him time to mature into this player of some sort. What qualities or talents does he show glimpses of that makes you think he'll be anything but a Cleverly?
I'm fairly sure the hype is 100% because Mourinho praises him. If he talked about him like he talks about Shaw for example I doubt anyone would be hyping him up

jmaggio

Does anyone else think José creating that new award for him was a little cringe ?... Not knocking Scott at all, but it just seems like Jose was being a bit “Hey look I’m nice to kids”

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Imagine he starts against Leicester because of Herrera's minor injury, him and Darmian.... and Mata... and Shaw.

Just wow how come we come this far?

Boycott

Does anyone else think José creating that new award for him was a little cringe ?... Not knocking Scott at all, but it just seems like Jose was being a bit “Hey look I’m nice to kids”
I do get the feeling he is a pet project of Mourinho to try and show he does develop youth

An Irish Red

He's an academy product. That's enough for posters on here to think he's going to be a great player. Despite all signs suggesting the opposite.

We still have posters on here who think Mitchell and Borthwick Jackson should be our left backs.

Robbie Boy

He kind of reminds me of when Dalglish had a thing for Jay Spearing and played him far more than he should have despite him never looking remotely good enough. Ultimately Spearing wasn’t even good enough for a PL club when he moved on. I feel McTominay will follow a similar career trajectory once José leaves.

I genuinely watch Championship midfielders that are better than him on a regular basis. Look, he’s actually exceeded my expectations by having a few ok games last season but feck me, he’s not a top level player.

Jojo <3 Mou

I like him, he is disciplined, hardworking but a bit limited going forward. I'd send him out on loan this season and keep Pereira with the squad. Pereira seems to have a greater ceiling and currently offers more.

With Pogba/Matic/Fred/Fellaini/Herrera/Pereira in the squad, he would have little to no game time which is not great for development. Hopefully, a wonderful loan spell is in the cards for McTominay.

keener

I agree Jojo, Loan this kid. He'll make a fine player down the road but it's way better to be on the pitch for 35 games somewhere else, getting meaningful minutes.

Eriku

The people slating McTominay and saying he offers nothing are of the same ilk of those who were calling Fletcher Fergie's son and shouting "off with his head" every bloody week.

Can't believe some of the things I'm reading in this thread. I believe the likes of Ronnie and Messi and such have wrecked the grading curve. You lot do realise that most CMs (and CBs and GKs) don't start showing their true quality until their mid to late 20s? Scott's definitely shown enough for us to be excited about his future.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The people slating McTominay and saying he offers nothing are of the same ilk of those who were calling Fletcher Fergie's son and shouting "off with his head" every bloody week.

Can't believe some of the things I'm reading in this thread. I believe the likes of Ronnie and Messi and such have wrecked the grading curve. You lot do realise that most CMs (and CBs and GKs) don't start showing their true quality until their mid to late 20s? Scott's definitely shown enough for us to be excited about his future.
Would you rate him this highly if he played for Stoke?

Silas

What has he shown us other than the ability to work hard and get stuck in?

JoaquinJoaquin

If McTominay gets you excited, shows how far we have actually fell.

yamo123x

Agree with majority of posters. He never stood out for youth or under 23 teams he was propelled into the first team based on his height and has since become a nothing player. Can't blame the kid living the dream playing for Utd he seems a nice kid too.mourinho does promote youth and Scott is his proof

Eriku

Would you rate him this highly if he played for Stoke?
I’d consider him a good CM prospect just as I do now, sure.

What has he shown us other than the ability to work hard and get stuck in?

Call me easily impressed, but he looks a tidy player, and he doesn’t shirk his responsibilities and gives it his all. That goes a long way for me.

If McTominay gets you excited, shows how far we have actually fell.
People would have said the same about Fletcher, who was shat on from a great height. When I say excited I mean in terms of his usefulness to the team, not in terms of flash. Reliable players who rarely put a foot wrong and who quietly go about their business are plenty valuable.

JoaquinJoaquin

I’d consider him a good CM prospect just as I do now, sure.

Call me easily impressed, but he looks a tidy player, and he doesn’t shirk his responsibilities and gives it his all. That goes a long way for me.

People would have said the same about Fletcher, who was shat on from a great height. When I say excited I mean in terms of his usefulness to the team, not in terms of flash. Reliable players who rarely put a foot wrong and who quietly go about their business are plenty valuable.
Fletcher wasn't flashy or anything of that nature, but was much better at breaking up the play and using his energy. McTominay is a jack of few trades but master of none, nor will he ever be. That is the definition of an average player to me. Let's be honest, what other Premier League teams would he start at? Probably none, and there is a reason for that.

Eriku

Fletcher wasn't flashy or anything of that nature, but was much better at breaking up the play and using his energy. McTominay is a jack of few trades but master of none, nor will he ever be. That is the definition of an average player to me. Let's be honest, what other Premier League teams would he start at? Probably none, and there is a reason for that.
What was Fletcher a master of at that point? He looked half a second off for the first few seasons, and would certainly not have played as much as he did if Fergie wasn’t so interested in giving him experience because og the promise he saw in him.

Anyway, it’s not as if we’ll arrive at an agreement. Note my post or something and drag it up in 3 years if he’s riding the pine at Derby County or whatever. I’ll eat my words if I’m woefully wrong but the likes of Carrick, Matic, Fergie and Mourinho seem to think he has a good chance at becoming more than a no-name player.

Art

Art the artist
He was very good last year but dear lord was he shit in pre season this year.

AgentP

I was hoping he'll go out on loan this season. We have 6 midfielders ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.