5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

He played as a striker a lot in the youth teams and has the energy to get into the box. So I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes a 10 goal a season midfielder.

If he can add a little more range to his passing he has a good chance here.

Acquire Me

I would love to build something around McTominay. A core of young talents and some experienced players would be wonderful. I hope the days with superstar signings are gone. That said, I would not be very surprised to see Bale coming. If that happens, it could go either way imo.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
One real positive. As one poster stated, you need players who are workhorses-like Henderson,Milner.

Not every one has to be a Galactico

Zoo

It's far more likely that Ole loves his attitude and the type of lad he is and wants to bring more of that into the dressing room.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
People who mock players like McTominay will be the exact same ones wondering why we aren't as good as Liverpool. Tell me what the difference is between McTominay and Henderson (other than they're obviously at different stages of their career)?

Obviously the term building a team around him is hyperbole but we should get over our superior than thou attitude and accept players like him might actually be the ones that get us back to being somewhat competitive

Bobski

People who mock players like McTominay will be the exact same ones wondering why we aren't as good as Liverpool. Tell me what the difference is between McTominay and Henderson (other than they're obviously at different stages of their career)?

Obviously the term building a team around him is hyperbole but we should get over our superior than thou attitude and accept players like him might actually be the ones that get us back to being somewhat competitive
Those people should ask why Fergie valued the likes of Fletcher, O'Shea, Phil Neville so highly. They were not big names who could wow you with their youtube compilation but they understood their roles and took pride in them,. Utd linked with brats like Dybala, icardi and co would just be making the same mistakes, bringing in huge ego's who are thinking about what the club can do for them first.

ForestRGoinUp

Those people should ask why Fergie valued the likes of Fletcher, O'Shea, Phil Neville so highly. They were not big names who could wow you with their youtube compilation but they understood their roles and took pride in them,. Utd linked with brats like Dybala, icardi and co would just be making the same mistakes, bringing in huge ego's who are thinking about what the club can do for them first.
Fergie was an anomaly and Klopp has a system he’s spent the better part of two decades building and optimizing. I’m not saying the Dybalas and Icardis are the way to go, but we have a manager who is years and years away from Fergie and Klopps peak and whose system we can’t even decipher yet.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is probably the only Man Utd player I can think of that has come out of this season with any credit - a good young player with a great attitude. You need several more like him.

Loublaze

ATLien
You know they regularly play Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum in midfield right?
You can't compare those players to McTominay to be fair. Hendersen and Milner were highly rated (you could say overrated) at 22. Milner made his PL debut at 16 and has the record of being one of the youngest players to score in the PL (at the same age). Hendersen made his Sunderland debut at 18 and was strongly linked to United for a while and was known to be a United fan growing up.

Wijnaldum was training with Fyenoord's first team at 15 and made his debut at 16. He was always considered a huge talent whereas our boy McTominay was not even considered one of our best youth players as regular watchers of the reserves can attest. He got picked because of Mourinho's obsession with height the same way LVG picked Blackett because of his left foot.

macheda14

You can't compare those players to McTominay to be fair. Hendersen and Milner were highly rated (you could say overrated) at 22. Milner made his PL debut at 16 and has the record of being one of the youngest players to score in the PL (at the same age). Hendersen made his Sunderland debut at 18 and was strongly linked to United for a while and was known to be a United fan growing up.

Wijnaldum was training with Fyenoords first team at 15 and made his debut at 16. He was always considered a huge talent whereas our boy McTominay was not even considered one of our best youth players as regular watchers of the reserves can attest. He got picked because of Mourinho's obsession with height the same way LVG picked Blackett because of his left foot.
They might have had better potential as youth players, but the way their careers have gone, and McTominay's recent form, you look at him and think he could reach that level. A few years ago, Henderson looked to be on his way out of Liverpool, now he's invaluable. He's got high energy, good enough in the tackle, very good at recycling the ball, shown himself to be good in tight spaces, seems to be quite good at popping up in attacking spaces. He's only 22 and becoming a very solid midfielder, we honestly have no idea how he will crack on, but he could definitely be a very good foil to two more creative midfielders. And I'm more than happy having him as a stop-gap next season while we look to bolster other parts of the midfield, attack and defence.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Wijnaldum was training with Fyenoord's first team at 15 and made his debut at 16. He was always considered a huge talent whereas our boy McTominay was not even considered one of our best youth players as regular watchers of the reserves can attest. He got picked because of Mourinho's obsession with height the same way LVG picked Blackett because of his left foot.
Whilst all that may be true, were they significantly better players than him at 22 based on what he's shown this year? I don't think so.

Redtings

To be fair, I don't think Jose picked him solely based on his height. His mentality, confidence, and physicality were always lauded by many.

Mentality, for me, has recently become a big concern...in both the first team and reserves. I was somewhat gutted when I found out our U23s were relegated to a lower division. I'm not sure if promoting players like Scott (or loaning others out) contributed to the relegation, but it is concerning nonetheless

Reactions: Sultan

SambaBoy

There must be a reason why managers have rated him so highly, and it has come to the fore this season. Before this season, and even earlier it seemed he lacked confidence. He would bring the ball up from the midfield 10 yards and then turn round and pass it back rather than try break a line or be creative.

He will be a good option for next year especially in the big games where we need his aggression and energy. I hope Herrera stays as well, as those are the type of players we need to compete mixed in with more talented players such as Pogba.

Loublaze

ATLien
To be fair, I don't think Jose picked him solely based on his height. His mentality, confidence, and physicality were always lauded by many.

Mentality, for me, has recently become a big concern...in both the first team and reserves. I was somewhat gutted when I found out our U23s were relegated to a lower division. I'm not sure if promoting players like Scott (or loaning others out) contributed to the relegation, but it is concerning nonetheless
Lauded by many like who? Reading the youth forums, even the most avid youth watchers were surprised at his inclusion at the time. Any links to this praise during his time in the ranks before his first team debut?

Man Utd 0:2 Cardiff

Web of Bissaka

Nice performance as holding midfielder role 1st half, then CB 2nd half.

:devil: Those sweet 3+ interceptions he made, and forward passes. There's also that one-touch forward pass he did from Cardiff players clearing the ball, nice.

But honesty I'm disappointed he decide to play too safe today. No doubt it's neat and tidy.

Yet where's the aggression? he decided to dial it down to suit his holding and CB role which needs discipline.

Should've keep his usual aggression levels and need to demand the ball more -- because it helps the team especially when we're losing, to increase urgency.

Loublaze

ATLien
They might have had better potential as youth players, but the way their careers have gone, and McTominay's recent form, you look at him and think he could reach that level. A few years ago, Henderson looked to be on his way out of Liverpool, now he's invaluable. He's got high energy, good enough in the tackle, very good at recycling the ball, shown himself to be good in tight spaces, seems to be quite good at popping up in attacking spaces. He's only 22 and becoming a very solid midfielder, we honestly have no idea how he will crack on, but he could definitely be a very good foil to two more creative midfielders. And I'm more than happy having him as a stop-gap next season while we look to bolster other parts of the midfield, attack and defence.
Good points. Im not sure he should be starting regularly though, the effort is definitely there but they're still questions on the quality for me, whether its good enough for a team of this stature. He's still young and as you say, there's no telling how he will build on what he has achieved thus far. There will be no hiding next season so his performances could be an indication of what to expect in the long term. I think he'll end up being a solid squad player like Phil Neville but it would be great if he ends up having the kind of impact Fletcher had.

Whilst all that may be true, were they significantly better players than him at 22 based on what he's shown this year? I don't think so.
I'd say Milner was better at 22, it may be harsh to say because McTominay is just making his mark now but Milner was a regular for Newcastle and Aston Villa on loan at the same age, and he impressed on that loan spell, earning him a permanent move to Villa and he kicked on to become one of their main players. Henderson already had 92 apps for Liverpool at age 22 with 8 goals, also already well established so you'd have to say he was better/ahead of the curve. At age 22 Wijnaldum had 95 apps for PSV and 34 goals. Clearly better

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good points. Im not sure he should be starting regularly though, the effort is definitely there but they're still questions on the quality for me, whether its good enough for a team of this stature. He's still young and as you say, there's no telling how he will build on what he has achieved thus far. There will be no hiding next season so his performances could be an indication of what to expect in the long term. I think he'll end up being a solid squad player like Phil Neville but it would be great if he ends up having the kind of impact Fletcher had.

I'd say Milner was better at 22, it may be harsh to say because McTominay is just making his mark now but Milner was a regular for Newcastle and Aston Villa on loan at the same age, and he impressed on that loan spell, earning him a permanent move to Villa and he kicked on to become one of their main players. Henderson already had 92 apps for Liverpool at age 22 with 8 goals, also already well established so you'd have to say he was better/ahead of the curve. At age 22 Wijnaldum had 95 apps for PSV and 34 goals. Clearly better
I'd agree with you on Milner although I do seem to remember his most impressive time at Villa was 23+ and he'd been playing first team football for years.

Henderson at 22 was largely considered a flop as I remember it due to his high transfer fee, unless that was the season Fergie praised him but said he hadn't signed him because he runs funny?

Wijnaldum may have been clearly better, I couldn't comment as I'd never watched him, but 34 goals doesn't sound particularly special in a league where Kezman could get 105 goals in 120 appearances for PSV.

Loublaze

ATLien
I'd agree with you on Milner although I do seem to remember his most impressive time at Villa was 23+ and he'd been playing first team football for years.

Henderson at 22 was largely considered a flop as I remember it due to his high transfer fee, unless that was the season Fergie praised him but said he hadn't signed him because he runs funny?

Wijnaldum may have been clearly better, I couldn't comment as I'd never watched him, but 34 goals doesn't sound particularly special in a league where Kezman could get 105 goals in 120 appearances for PSV.
34 senior goals for a midfielder at age 22 in top flight football is impressive, and he played in the Europa league and was instrumental in PSV qualifying for the champions league for the first time in 5 seasons

lsd

The Oracle
He's going to be a top player for us better than Fletcher and Neville in my opinion .

I can see him as a future captain and our most important midfielder

Mcking

He's going to be a top player for us better than Fletcher and Neville in my opinion .

I can see him as a future captain and our most important midfielder
Probably when we are already deep in the realms of mediocrity. I dread to think of where we'd be that McTominay would be our most important midfielder or that we'd even consider making him captain. This lad is no better than TC23 as a footballer.

ForestRGoinUp

Probably when we are already deep in the realms of mediocrity. I dread to think of where we'd be that McTominay would be our most important midfielder or that we'd even consider making him captain. This lad is no better than TC23 as a footballer.
They've all flocked from Rashy Cay and Lingz Pointe to McTominay Island now. They'll be happy enough there til the resources are depleted and it's time to swim over to the next one.

Based Adnan

I look at Fabian Delph and Ross Barkley playing in midfield tonight and can't help but think England will regret not trying harder to get Scott

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He can't even break into the Scotland first 11 but some expect him to be starter at the biggest club in England.

Red00012

We are truly fecked if we don’t sign a midfielder to replace Herrera.

The options are

————Matic ———-

——Fred———Pogba

—-——-Matic——-

—-Scott———Pogba

—-——-Fred——

—-Scott——Pogba—-

Zoo

Getting quite a bit of praise for his performance tonight. Good for him on his first start.

bdecuc

Only saw the second half but he played well. He really looks like a promising midfielder. It's an amazing transformation. He never really played much in the youths so it was hard to know what he was but I'd never have seen him become what he is now.

Walters_19_MuFc

Was also impressed with him tonight. Tough game against a very good Belgium team, but held his own and got stuck in. Get a deeplying playmaker next to him, and I'd be happy to see him play an important role for us next season.

Attacking Midfielder
Deep lying Playmaker - McTominay

AJ10

Him putting in a good performance isn't a surprise as he's done that for Us vs good teams but whether he can do that consistently, if he can then we have a very good player on our hands.

izec

He was standing out more in the big games than the other games for us. He needs to stamp down his authority on the 'smaller' games. If he can shine there, he could surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.