5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

Don't like writing young players off, but he isn't good enough, nor ever looked like he will be. The fact he wasn't even a stand out in the reserves says it all really.

SecondFig

He's impressed me less than a host of midfielders who've left us - from Tunnicliffe and Drinkwater to Mulryne and Eagles. I'd be amazed if he's still here in 2 years' time - but I'd also love to be proved wrong, seeing players come through the youth system is wonderful. I just really don't see enough in McTominay.

Bola

A fairly poor cameo against Watford, sloppy with his passing and offering little inciecivness. Don't want to be too harsh on the lad though as he was put into right midfield and only had limited time on the pitch when we had a defensive mentality.

The short performance perhaps points to what I've seen of him before and I don't think he will make it as a centre mid for us. Defensive Mid is a different story and if he can follow the template of Fellani in shielding the defence, but with some of the simple playmaking abilities of Matic, then we will have a very valuable player for years to come.

Obviously a lot of development needed, but if he can work on using his physicality better and adopt an approach to his passing game that is positive (Not 'side to side', safety first approach like Morgan S did for us), then he will become a key matchday player sooner rather than later. Might even save us a few bob given that Fellani and Matic are two of the more older players in the squad.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm not a McTominay fan, I made that perfectly clear last season, but it's fairly obvious why Jose preferred him to AP on the weekend. Physically he is stronger than AP, better in the air, and I'd say defensively more disciplined right now. We had attacking and ball playing MF options on the bench in Fred and and Mata, so having a defensively orientated MF available made sense. We knew Watford planned to lump it long and McTominay is better suited to defending against that style of play. AP had also only just returned from playing international football in Brazil 3 days before.

Tibs

Obviously wish him all the best, but he's not that good.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm not a McTominay fan, I made that perfectly clear last season, but it's fairly obvious why Jose preferred him to AP on the weekend. Physically he is stronger than AP, better in the air, and I'd say defensively more disciplined right now. We had attacking and ball playing MF options on the bench in Fred and and Mata, so having a defensively orientated MF available made sense. We knew Watford planned to lump it long and McTominay is better suited to defending against that style of play. AP had also only just returned from playing international football in Brazil 3 days before.
But how do those points hold any weight when he comes in for 10 minutes and makes not a single tackle, interception, clearances or block and nor did he win any aerial duels. In ten minutes he made only 4 touches and completed 1 pass. He came in and did absolutely nothing to contribute to the team. In fact he came in and just gave the ball away.

Being tall doesn't make him Fellaini. He isn't even strong, he isn't actually good in air and his defensive awareness is terrible.

Web of Bissaka

Hmm. I say he needs to do more this season. A fan of him but at the moment am disappointed.

Is he putting his feet off the pedal? Performances so far unlike his breakthrough and regular seasons.

Roboc7

Made no sense to play him in defence he seemed clueless and distribution isn’t even very good.

Ekeke

Made no sense to play him in defence he seemed clueless and distribution isn’t even very good.
It was Mourinho's wet dream, some simple passes down the side and then a bunch of long balls towards Lukaku and Fellaini

Based Adnan

Actually thought he done quite well despite the bizarre decision to play him as a CB

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It was Mourinho's wet dream, some simple passes down the side and then a bunch of long balls towards Lukaku and Fellaini
This is why Mourinho needs to go. If we persist we might end up starting next season with a team of McTominays and Fellainis. :nervous:

Messigician

Already people are scapegoating him. It's clear the problems are with management both mourinho and the United board.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He will be lucky to have a championship career, yet some people think he can make it here at least as a squadie, yeah probably for mourinho if he gets us relegated. He's total shit and always has been even in the U21 he was one of the rowt players but trying hard being tall made him a good prospect for Mourinho who tries to shoehorn him whenever he can, shoehorning McTominay into first team if someone told me years back I'd laugh out loud, I am not laughing now because that's how low we got giving gametime to McT over Pereira and other talented football players. This is an absolute nightmare. Shocker that he has been at fault for two goals too..

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sacrificial lamb for one of Mourinho’s protest team selections that we’ve seen before at other clubs. Deliberately going with bizarre/nonsensical selection decisions to make a point to the board about not backing him in the transfer market. Shitty thing to do to a youngster and another reason to want the manager gone asap.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Hope the fans don't rip into him. Young lad who doesn't deserve to be used as a political pawn.

Do you think he can really ever be in our starting 11? Highly limited player, brings nothing to the table. We do need Perreira or Gomes instead of him.
No - but he still deserves the chance to play first team football. He has potential to have a good career elsewhere.

Robbie Boy

Nothing against him but he’ll be binned by the next manager. Seems a good lad but nowhere near good enough.

Godfather

I was very harsh on him but tbh it's not his fault Mou is playing him in a position he is totally lost in.

Davie Moyes

Sacrificial lamb for one of Mourinho’s protest team selections that we’ve seen before at other clubs. Deliberately going with bizarre/nonsensical selection decisions to make a point to the board about not backing him in the transfer market. Shitty thing to do to a youngster and another reason to want the manager gone asap.
Nail on head.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Playing him at centerback and then hooking lindelöf was basically Jose trying to shift blame on Woodward for this shit show. I feel for the lad, he might not be a United player but he doesn't deserve to be used as a pawn in Jose's play.

Pacificgi

Normally i dont agree with certain players starting but understand why they are, but him starting today is the first time ive thought why is he playing. Made no sense.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not good enough, but that being said he wasn't too bad today.

togg

Totally agree, takes Lindelof off and keeps Bailly on the bench, two international CB's and sends McTominay to the slaughter. Disgraceful decision. It beginning to feel that Mourinho is not only trying to make a point to the board but is pushing the club to sack him so he can pick up his 20/25 million or whatever it is before we are mathematically out of next season's CL.....

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
A glowing review, not sure I agree but can only be good for McTominay's confidence. I don't think it's McTominay's fault he's getting the grief he is doing, he's doing his best with the game time he's given. Don't really think he should be near the team to begin with at least not at CB. Just odd to me that Mourinho would play him in a position he's never played professionally in a team already struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.