5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Andow

I wanted him out of the club a few months ago, now he's improving every game and doing great on the big ones, it's great to see. I hope Matic never starts ahead of him again.

haram

Also an example of a young player not having to be loaned out.

Sylar

He was solid in the Chelsea game. In fact he had shown his qualities before the Liverpool game yet the fans were always on the kids back. Apparently Scott has always been a pawn. Not just this season, but last season as well. Apparently he was also only playing because he was tall.
Not denying the bold part.
But not sure what you are trying to mean with the whole sarcastic 'hes always been a pawn...' as he was indeed used as CB for those specific reasons. As was herrera this season too.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Wonder if Carrick has been working with him closely cause it felt like a good Carrick performance.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Arguably the best performance by any of our players this season. Looks like this lad could be the real deal.

This guy is a potential Roy Keane.

Loved his attitude in his post match interview, he is a winner (like Roy).

Raven

He was solid in the Chelsea game. In fact he had shown his qualities before the Liverpool game yet the fans were always on the kids back. Apparently Scott has always been a pawn. Not just this season, but last season as well. Apparently he was also only playing because he was tall.
I thought he was used as a pawn this season. Last season I only remember him being solid. I have to say, he's really impressed me of late though, very good passing, strong, dynamic and very good in tight spaces. I never thought he had all that in his locker.

SATA

Did he start out as a striker in the youth teams at United? I seem to remember a couple of posts here stating that. Could also be a useful goal threat if that is true

Raven

Just watched the post match interview, first time I've heard Smalling speak, it was weird. Scott's parts really impressed me, he is outrageously determined, you can hear it in his voice. He's probably going to be an upgrade on Herrera in every sense, and I'm a big fan of Herrera.

LoneStar

Was absolute class yesterday, and contained Messi and Vidal so well. I was really surprised to see this side of him, with his dribbling and contribution to attack.

I am not from Manchester or UK. But there's something beautiful about an academy graduate playing so well.

I hope people will stay patient with him cause he's bound to make a couple of mistakes and be inconsistent for a while.

haram

Not denying the bold part.
But not sure what you are trying to mean with the whole sarcastic 'hes always been a pawn...' as he was indeed used as CB for those specific reasons. As was herrera this season too.
Pogba was used as a false CB as well. Jose wanted someone in there to help build up. Stop with the pawn bollocks.

Ashley R1+O

let's be honest Jose didn't use him this well. Probably only showed this level under Jose when he man marked Hazard last season.
Which is using him quite well?
How about Scott is just developing, growing and getting better as a player in general? You could see the maturity in his game, he is imposing himself well and has always handled himself regardless of the opponent.
Well said.

Josh 76

The Scotland team is starring to take shape all of a sudden

Mctomminy
Robertson
Frasier
Tierney

There's a few other youngsters comming through aswel.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Championship player to Roy Keane. Never change RedCafe, never change.
You're spot on, if ever a post summarised the mentality of the modern forum poster :lol:

I watched him against Wolves though, and I was shocked, as I thought he looked excellent in that game, when previously I'll admit to suspicions that he was in the lineup for sheer height reasons, having shown fairly mediocre ability.

If he develops into a proper starting player, it'll save us loads!

Tarrou

I bet a few posters searched for their old posts on McT this morning to see how bad it was :lol:

Gordon S

Good performance from him, there might actually be a proper United player in there!

What puzzles me is how the hell could our staff see he would develop like this? Kid looked as average as they come whenever i saw him play in the reserves.

Ekeke

Arguably the best performance by any of our players this season. Looks like this lad could be the real deal.

This guy is a potential Roy Keane.

Loved his attitude in his post match interview, he is a winner (like Roy).
What the hell? Argued by who other than you?

Ekeke

Was absolute class yesterday, and contained Messi and Vidal so well. I was really surprised to see this side of him, with his dribbling and contribution to attack.

I am not from Manchester or UK. But there's something beautiful about an academy graduate playing so well.

I hope people will stay patient with him cause he's bound to make a couple of mistakes and be inconsistent for a while.
How on earth did he contain Messi from midway in Barcelona's half?

Vidal was on the pitch for 25 poor minutes where he just flung himself in the general direction of the ball everytime it came within 10 yards of him. Everyone "contained" him.

Patrick08

Mourinho's comments on his performance against Barcelona are quiet interesting.

"He was like a Mad dog":D

Irwin99

Very encouraging performance. Unlucky not to have an assist with the pass to Martial.

Tarrou

Good performance from him, there might actually be a proper United player in there!

What puzzles me is how the hell could our staff see he would develop like this? Kid looked as average as they come whenever i saw him play in the reserves.
especially seeing as he was about four foot two a couple of years ago

Sylar

Pogba was used as a false CB as well. Jose wanted someone in there to help build up. Stop with the pawn bollocks.
So you're saying Jose used mct and Herrera as CBS for a specific tactical reason rather than as an agenda to make a point to the board?

Bollocks is indeed the right word
Well done on missing the whole thing

haram

So you're saying Jose used mct and Herrera as CBS for a specific tactical reason rather than as an agenda to make a point to the board?

Bollocks is indeed the right word
Well done on missing the whole thing
There was a tactical reason, yes. If you dont understand why he might play a CM in defence then that's on you.

roseguy64

Just watched the post match interview, first time I've heard Smalling speak, it was weird. Scott's parts really impressed me, he is outrageously determined, you can hear it in his voice. He's probably going to be an upgrade on Herrera in every sense, and I'm a big fan of Herrera.
That's weird. Smalling has been here for close to a decade now and spoken in tons of stuff. Must have just not been interested.

To be fair to our previous managers they have each promoted atleast one player from the reserves into our squad while getting those/that individual playing consistently under their stewardship.
Moyes with Adnan,LVG with Lingard and Rashford and only recently Jose with McTominay.

Stacks

People are desperate to find somethig positive from last night and are going OTT. I'd be surprised if non-United fans watching him were saying to themselves "wow, what a player!". It was a solid performance, nothing more. He's still 22 y.o. though, might significantly improve. Or not. Rashford is younger than him and some fans are already writing him off.
Pretty much all the articles and columns on the match are either trying to crowbar a Messi narrative in or praising McT as their central point.
Solid performance vs one of the top teams (arguably the best in Europe) is the reason why he is getting bit of praise, especially someone who many didn't think had it in him.
won 100% defensive aerial duels, 100% tackles won, 5 turnovers, 2/3 dribbles completed
He is on a run of 3 starts in a row with 7.5/10+ performances vs PSG/Wolves/Barcelona - all good teams.
breath of fresh air and currently outperforming midfielders who cost us 90 Million and 50 million respectively. similar to Rashford when outperforming Lukaku, it gives me great hope in our academy.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The performance against PSG was good but it was mostly a defensive one, highly disciplined. He showed more against Barca I thought, some nice ball protection and a few good passes. Gaining confidence I hope.

Agree we should not get carried away.

Stacks

The performance against PSG was good but it was mostly a defensive one, highly disciplined. He showed more against Barca I thought, some nice ball protection and a few good passes. Gaining confidence I hope.

Agree we should not get carried away.
LADS, WE'VE DONE IT. WE'VE FINALLY FOUND OUR NEXT FLETCHER

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
:lol:

Is he the next Darren Fletcher or the next Darren Ferguson? Only time will tell. But one thing is for certain, his name should be Darren FcTominay.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If you just watched the second half and new nothing about football, you would more than likely say that Mctominnah and Fred looked miles better than Pogba. Thats good for Mctominah but worrying for Pogba.

Status
Not open for further replies.