6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

Sad part is that he and Ander would have made a good cm pairing especially in Ole's pressing tactics

kiristao

Looked a much better player once Matic was off. Has really improved his range of passing as well. A midfield of Pogba and him with Andreas (if we don't sign Bruno or Dybala) in the hole will be our midfield I think.

JPOR

I think his new found willingness to spray the ball about instead of doing simple passes are really going to help him step up a level this year. Impressive today, again

DoomSlayer

I think his new found willingness to spray the ball about instead of doing simple passes are really going to help him step up a level this year. Impressive today, again
Absolutely. He plays with so much confidence and never shies away from the ball or from a challenge. I really believe he can be a starter for us in the long term if this progression continues and he gathers more experience.

Litch

Best player on tour for me. I might be eating a big piece of humble pie....

Classical Mechanic

He's worked on his long passing for sure, he seems to have a desire for improvement and is working hard at his game. He worries me when he's close to our goal and under pressure though, it's a weakness for him.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He looked miles better after that second wave of subs.
This. He seems to play well when the game is being played at a fast pace, but struggles when we try to play at a slower tempo.

Overall he's been fantastic on this tour. I think Him and Pogba will be our one number one midfield pairing this season.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I pray this is true. Matic should not play more than 5-10 games next season.
Well I suppose Matic will get a number of games in the EL but I would be surprised if Scott and Pogba aren't the first choice pair in the league.

dogwithabone

He’s getting better and better. I must admit I couldn’t see him becoming this good when he first broke into the side. I thought he played too many safe passes and often backwards too but since his confidence has increased his games has gone to another level.

Got quick feet too and has a knack of side stepping his opponents and in doing so buys that split second of time that allows him to pick out a more threatening pass. Definitely similarities to Darren Fletcher.

KennyBurner

Carrick is definitely tutoring him. No other explanation why he is able to hit the ball with much pace as opposed to when he first started. I do need him to be more alert defensively. Maybe its just the matic pairing but he seems to get run through easily.

red4ever 79

Was cra* alongside Matic. As soon as Matic went off, he looked a different player and drove us on. Has to start next to Pogba and Bruno

Web of Bissaka

That AC Milan player (Suso?) can't wait for match end to get his shirt so much so he tore it.

At least we get to see McTominay looking more badass. :drool:

Performance comment - rubbish first half, better 2nd whipping long passes after passes Carrick school.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I love the way he passes a ball. Talanted technique that looks like he can put it anywhere on the field effortlessly.

Also it’s absolutely impossible to get the ball off him without fouling him. That’s a breath of fresh air from Perreira and Matic who have snail brains and legs

Prongsy

Carrick is definitely tutoring him. No other explanation why he is able to hit the ball with much pace as opposed to when he first started. I do need him to be more alert defensively. Maybe its just the matic pairing but he seems to get run through easily.
You can see Carrick's influence more and more this year than in his last two years. I'd think Carrick looks at him and sees he is very good at so many things, he probably can mold him into both versions of himself (with the hyperbole warning check for people who sometimes get irked by it) both in his later years, and probably in his first few seasons at United. We might play him and pogba like Scholes and Carrick used to play together. and I can see how it can work and also not work. but am more confident to think if he plays in a 3 man midfield, he's going to be way more similar to Carrick used to be, regardless of where he plays in that 3 man midfield.

Still dont see why many would rather buy a new DM than use him there. would love to know how a new DM would settle and also keep us going like current version of Mctominay might.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In the first 60 minutes he looked far better than Matic but was also clearly an unbalanced midfield with the 2 of them next to each other. Improved loads the second Matic went off. I think his change from a year ago to throughout the season to now during this pre season is incredible tbh. He's taking up so much more responsibility and is blossoming as a player. Will be a starter when fit this season.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
He’s talented and has a good future ahead of him but if we in the near future aspire to win the league then he’s a squad player.

Milan totally dominated us from minute 20-45 in the first half. It’s was boys against men and our midfield was none existent. I’m fully aware of that line up included Matic, Mata and Pereira so it’s difficult to judge him properly but if we’re going to continue with a two man midfield then we need a more composed and technical partner to Pogba.

I hope Ole learned from our first half and never ever include Matic, Mata and Pereira in the same lineup again. In fact never use any of these players as starters again this season. All of them looked so bad so it was embarrassing to watch.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He’s talented and has a good future ahead of him but if we in the near future aspire to win the league then he’s a squad player.

Milan totally dominated us from minute 20-45 in the first half. It’s was boys against men and our midfield was none existent. I’m fully aware of that line up included Matic, Mata and Pereira so it’s difficult to judge him properly but if we’re going to continue with a two man midfield then we need a more composed and technical partner to Pogba.

I hope Ole learned from our first half and never ever include Matic, Mata and Pereira in the same lineup again. In fact never use any of these players as starters again this season. All of them looked so bad so it was embarrassing to watch.
You pretty much answered your own question in the same post. I've questioned McTominays' quality in the past but I can't fault him for the midfield being dominated when he's paired up with couple of geriatrics in Mata and Matic, plus a completely pointless player in Pereira.

I just hope we find a defined role for him, whether it be as a DM or box-to-box.

Adamsk7

He’s been the best player on tour. What I liked today was how (when Matic went off) he intelligently went out to the flanks to receive the ball from De Gea and then sprayed some passes about - far too often our midfielders wait plum in the centre of the park and when De Gea tries to pass to them, they get closed down quickly and mistakes happen. He saw the room and utilised it.

Based Adnan

Credit to Carrick. Has clearly worked on him and it's resulted in Scott not only being faster in his passing but also a lot more expansive. Every pass he makes you can see the reasoning behind it and it's big progress from the 'get the ball and move it on simply' playstyle he played (albeit successfully) when he broke through.

Long may this progress continue

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Credit to Carrick. Has clearly worked on him and it's resulted in Scott not only being faster in his passing but also a lot more expansive. Every pass he makes you can see the reasoning behind it and it's big progress from the 'get the ball and move it on simply' playstyle he played (albeit successfully) when he broke through.

Long may this progress continue
That has been the most promising improvement in his game. He played his cards very well to begin by playing low risk. Intelligent player - can’t get enough of him

Mindhunter

A player where coaching seems to have made a difference is so refreshing to see. Our record in improving young players breaking into the team through coaching has been horrendous in the last few years.

Somehow, every player has regressed after joining us which is truly baffling. Also, it doesn’t help that we were constantly chopping and changing our style of play. If the current trend in the transfer market is any indication, clubs need to generate value by improving young players through coaching as buying finished talent will get extremely difficult.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Scott is quickly becoming my favorite player in the squad. He has had a really impressive pre-season and I think this is the season for him to become a regular starter. At the moment I don't see us signing any other midfielders and Matic has yet again been truly awful so there will be no better chance for him than now.

It will be crucial that some of our squad players can have breakout seasons and become regular starters and Scott has the best chance of them all. During the preseason he has actually showed that he can hit those through balls and cross field passes under pressure, something I was not completely sold on earlier. I think Carrick is a good coach for him and he can learn a thing or two about the passing game from him. The ability is there.

Scott is an absolute unit too. Really excited to have him in our squad!

LoCalXT

Another reason why I don't understand the Longstaff chase when Scott does the same things and is also young.
For 50mil, might as well add a bit more and go for a world class player

GregtheRed_

I really hope that McTominay’s recent form encourages fans to re-think writing young players off so soon and adjusting expectations when making the step up to the first team.

He has always been talented and has shown glimpses of the form he’s executing currently. It’s not as if overnight he’s suddenly learned how to play football. He’s still learning and experience is starting to bring everything together.

It’s incredible how reactive the Caf is. Not 6 months ago people were saying he was poor. Now he’s captain material and everyone’s ‘favourite club player’.

Reactions: roonster09

haram

Another reason why I don't understand the Longstaff chase when Scott does the same things and is also young.
For 50mil, might as well add a bit more and go for a world class player
I think Longstaff is supposed to be the deepest midfielder.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
With the state of our midfield, he would have to step up big time. He might have it in him, he's impressed this pre season.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
A big big season ahead for the lad. Hopefully have a Darren Fletcher like break out.

Man Utd 4:0 Chelsea

Tiber

I still not convinced he has quite enough ability, but he ran more and worked harder in one game than Matic has in his entire career. A real breath of fresh air

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not a very good performance today... hes better than that

cyberman

As a forum, we are terrible at evaluating young players.
Which is shocking since we support Man United.

Status
Not open for further replies.